For All You Parents Who Say Your Kids Don't Know Peanuts

XGatorHead 8904

My wife and I watched A Charlie Brown Christmas with my very active and curious 16 month old daughter. She sat in her chair engaged the whole time. She was up for commercials and back in her seat as soon as it came on. She has never seen Peanuts before but she loved it.

Is it just me, or is the audio a little off-sync?

This is from wikipedia (so take it for what that's worth), but it addresses what you said:

The production was done on a shoestring budget, resulting in a somewhat choppy animation style and, from a technical standpoint, poorly mixed sound. With the exception of the actors who voiced Charlie Brown (Peter Robbins) and Lucy (Tracy Stratford), none of the children had any experience doing voice work. This was especially challenging for Kathy Steinberg, who voiced Sally: she was too young to read and needed to be cued line by line during the soundtrack recording. The technical issues are in evidence on the show's audio track, which to some may seem noticeably choppy and poorly enunciated. One of the more noticeable quirks in the special include a shot in which Schroeder abruptly stops playing the piano, but several of the characters continue dancing for a couple of seconds. Melendez has said he remains somewhat embarrassed to see the show repeated every year with all its problems, but Schulz vetoed his idea of "fixing" the program years later.

To the surprise of the executives, it was both a critical and commercial hit. None of the special's technical problems detracted from the show's appeal; to the contrary, it is thought that these so-called quirks, along with several other choices, are what lent the show such an innovative, authentic and sincere feeling.

I just remembered something that I was laughing at hysterically last night. When Charlie Brown goes to Lucy at the Psychiatrist booth, she demands to be paid in advance. After Charlie puts his nickel in the can, she picks the can up and starts shaking it, saying something to the effect of "Nickels, nickels, nickels! I love the sweet sound of nickels!" A certain someone came to mind immediately...

And now we know the true reason we're getting Peanuts next year... a shared love of nickels!

I'll have to watch it again next week so I can get the exact quote down.

Is it just me, or is the audio a little off-sync?

This is from wikipedia (so take it for what that's worth), but it addresses what you said:

The production was done on a shoestring budget, resulting in a somewhat choppy animation style and, from a technical standpoint, poorly mixed sound. With the exception of the actors who voiced Charlie Brown (Peter Robbins) and Lucy (Tracy Stratford), none of the children had any experience doing voice work. This was especially challenging for Kathy Steinberg, who voiced Sally: she was too young to read and needed to be cued line by line during the soundtrack recording. The technical issues are in evidence on the show's audio track, which to some may seem noticeably choppy and poorly enunciated. One of the more noticeable quirks in the special include a shot in which Schroeder abruptly stops playing the piano, but several of the characters continue dancing for a couple of seconds. Melendez has said he remains somewhat embarrassed to see the show repeated every year with all its problems, but Schulz vetoed his idea of "fixing" the program years later.

To the surprise of the executives, it was both a critical and commercial hit. None of the special's technical problems detracted from the show's appeal; to the contrary, it is thought that these so-called quirks, along with several other choices, are what lent the show such an innovative, authentic and sincere feeling.

This more specifically answers my question:

On December 8th 2009, the special edited scenes in order to save room for the new ABC special, Disney's Prep and Landing [5]:

• After Charlie Brown never got a Christmas card, he immediately goes to see Lucy.
  • The scene where Sally prompts Charlie Brown to write a letter to Santa was removed.
  • After Shermy was asked to play as a Shepard, he never got a chance to say, "Every Christmas it's the same."
  • Schroeder never plays "Fur Elise" nor "Jingle Bells" (classic version, organ version, and toy piano version)
  • The speed was time compressed which caused distortion in the musical score and character voices and also affected synchronicity with the animated characters facial movements and dialogue.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently with this new skin, we can't change the little secondary line under the topic's title.

Anyway, "I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown" airs tonight on ABC at 8:00pm. I don't think I've seen this one before, but it features Snoopy and his brother Spike. I always liked Spike in the comic strip. Since I'll be watching Monday Night Football, I'm recording this one

to watch tomorrow.

And who says Peanuts are never on TV? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

^I tried that but couldn't do it. But after reading your post, I went back to the full editor and found out why. With the problems I've been having with this new skin, the box where I type in the body of the post was covering the box to edit the subtitle, so I couldn't see it. I put my cursor in the box to edit the main title, then hit tab to get to the next field. Lo and behold, I was in the box to edit the subtitle. Ugh... I wish we could get this new skin problem fixed soon... but it only effects some of us.

• 1 month later...

The 4th of the big 5 Peanuts holiday specials, A Charlie Brown Valentine, airs this Wednesday, February 10th at 8:00pm.

"Valentine's Day finds Chuck pining for the little red-haired girl, as Sally seeks a way to woo a reluctant Linus. Meanwhile, Snoopy takes to his typewriter to author the perfect poem; and Peppermint Patty meets her competition for Mr. Brown's affections."

This is a different one than they aired last year, which was Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown.

The 4th of the big 5 Peanuts holiday specials, A Charlie Brown Valentine, airs this Wednesday, February 10th at 8:00pm.

"Valentine's Day finds Chuck pining for the little red-haired girl, as Sally seeks a way to woo a reluctant Linus. Meanwhile, Snoopy takes to his typewriter to author the perfect poem; and Peppermint Patty meets her competition for Mr. Brown's affections."

This is a different one than they aired last year, which was Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown.

I love that one!!! My favorites are A Charlie Brown Christmas,A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and my all time favorite It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Thanks I forgot about it almost being Valentines Day!

• 1 month later...

The final Peanuts special of the off-season, "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown", airs this Wednesday at 8:00 eastern on ABC. In it, poor Linus awaits another not-so-well-known holiday figure:

Linus is convinced that the "Easter Beagle" will come with baskets of goodies on Easter morning. But his pals decide to make their own holiday preparations, which for Marcie includes boiling eggs --- without their shells. Meanwhile, Snoopy helps Woodstock upgrade from a nest to a mod new birdhouse.

After this airs, only 17 more days until we all get to see Planet Snoopy! biggrin.gif

easter_big.gif