If they tear down Son Of Beast...

Cortney

i feel that if Son of Beast were to go, something crazy, REAL record breaking, not just stupid mundane record breaking coaster... Something along the lines of another awesome woodie (ie not a pre-fab under any circumstances), or the mentioned, but never built intamin 12 looper.... Here.

A coaster does not have to be REAL record breaking to be a great ride (i.e. El Toro, Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Maverick, DB, etc.)

And if SoB is taken down, do not expect anything to take it's place til 2015 at the earliest.

i feel that if Son of Beast were to go, something crazy, REAL record breaking, not just stupid mundane record breaking coaster... Something along the lines of another awesome woodie (ie not a pre-fab under any circumstances), or the mentioned, but never built intamin 12 looper.... Here.

A coaster does not have to be REAL record breaking to be a great ride (i.e. El Toro, Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Maverick, DB, etc.)

And if SoB is taken down, do not expect anything to take it's place til 2015 at the earliest.

I didnt say that it had to be record breaking to be a great coaster. Im just saying that the plot of land SOB stands on will have great expectations. you put in something no matter how great there will be thousands of people for 5-10 years talking about how awesome Son of Beast was and how puny this new coaster is.

One of the most popular rides at Cedar Point is Maverick. It's 105 feet tall.

Why in the world would you think that because a big ride is a removed, a big ride must go in it's place or people will think badly of it?

Its more than fitting. Son of Beast makes Kings Islands skyline. It wasthe tallest ride in the park, and its smack dab in the front. Removing it is more than super obvious. If you put ANYTHING and i mean anything that is in the low 100 ft range, people will know it. No matter if it smashes every other coaster in terms of awesomeness whether it be with airtime, laterals, g forces, or a new type of ride it wont matter, the general public will think of it as that puny coaster Kings Island put in place of SOB.

Ummmm, The clear answer here is a El Toro clone!

I certainly hope not. I would be MORE than upset if we got a prefab of any kind in place of SOB.

more people would care than you think. So many people just make up stuff to sound cool. Even if they didnt care for the ride, or even ride it it would become the new thing to talk about. If you think about it, maverick at least in my opinion is the most under rated ride at Cedar Point. it is amazing, but except for the educated coaster lover no one really gives a flip because its in the back and isnt all that tall or unique visually. now add in the fact that the coaster would be in spot that occupied something gigantic it just wouldn't sit well with most people. Its like going from a hummer to a toyota prius. sure, you get better gas mileage, but every time your friends look at you driving it you get the look like this car is puny, and when hummers pass they just roar on by... just saying...

I certainly hope not. I would be MORE than upset if we got a prefab of any kind in place of SOB.

Have you even rode El Toro?

nope. and i dont plan to. it goes against the whole concept of a wooden coaster. It loses the uniqueness and becomes like every other coaster out there without loops. Its billed as smooth, and is just created so that maintenance personnel dont have to do as much work as a traditional coaster. I dont care how awesome it is, it simply at least to me is a trend that could very well end the wooden coaster and i will not be a part of that trend.

One of the most popular rides at Cedar Point is Maverick. It's 105 feet tall.

Why in the world would you think that because a big ride is a removed, a big ride must go in it's place or people will think badly of it?

Its more than fitting. Son of Beast makes Kings Islands skyline. It wasthe tallest ride in the park, and its smack dab in the front. Removing it is more than super obvious. If you put ANYTHING and i mean anything that is in the low 100 ft range, people will know it. No matter if it smashes every other coaster in terms of awesomeness whether it be with airtime, laterals, g forces, or a new type of ride it wont matter, the general public will think of it as that puny coaster Kings Island put in place of SOB.

Of COURSE people are gonna know! And, the way I'm reading it, you think that the only way to keep the public happy is to replace it with a ride equally as big and awe inspiring. 1. Guess what, we just got Diamondback. 2. Guess what. The public may not be genius, but they're not dumb to the point where "Big ride = Happy guest" Bigger is NOT Better. Period! "The puny little coaster they put in place of Son of Beast" Is a horrible way to go about looking at things because you seem to think that guests will only look well upon new attractions if they are large, which is wrong. Plus, do you have any idea how much Maverick cost? $50 Million! That' $50,000,000! AKA - Twice as much as Diamondback. So if you think guests will think they took the cheap way out with a small ride, you are very wrong.

In short - The mentality of bigger rides and guest satisfaction is plain and simply wrong.

but except for the educated coaster lover no one really gives a flip because its in the back and isnt all that tall or unique visually

'Err!' WRONG! Maverick last year had 1,131,319 riders, and Top Thrill Dragster, the most tall and impressive ride in the park, had 1,210,327. Not exactly an astounding difference.

Its like going from a hummer to a toyota prius. sure, you get better gas mileage, but everytime your friends look at you driving it you get the look like this car is puny, and when hummers pass they just roar on by

Maybe it's just me, but when I see someone going down the street in a Hummer I think of a Gas-Guzzling-Show-Offy-Careless driver, and when I see a prius I think it looks modern and green and smart.

Ummmm, The clear answer here is a El Toro clone!

WHAT?!?!? And you're totally oblivious to the fact that El Toro is one of the two best wooden roller coasters in America, one of the top ten on Earth?

Boy, just wait till Terpy gets a load of you!

ridership has nothing to do with popularity. it is limited by how many people can actually ride it in any given day. top thrill dragster and maverick both have their share of downtime. The point is, everytime i talk to people that have gone, i ask what rides they liked and none ever mention maverick. its always millenium, dragster, or magnum. one like raptor... im betting that whenever a new coaster is here the lines for maverick will dwindle down signifigantly...

and i am not oblivious as to how popular el toro is. I simply dont care, i have no desire whatsoever to ride it.

and seriously, the biggest complaint with the general public for Diamondback is it had no loops. they flock to it because you can see it and how gigantic it is. They dont care that its a B and M or that its glass smooth they jsut see some giant new coaster that was built. When i go to the park with a completely unbiased never heard or been to Kings Island before group i tell them what the rides are, and they always flock to the big ones, a lot of the time asking me what they see that is tall and we end up going there first whether it be Diamondback, Son of Beast or Vortex. I had no requests to hit up top gun right away, even though i mentioned how unique and interesting it was.

Guest rcfreak339

^Iv'e heard ElToro is more smooth then most steel coasters, SOB imo was NEVER smooth. People say that if you blind folded them, put them on ElToro they would come back to the station convinced it was a steel coaster. Iv'e also never heard anyone complain about Diamonback having loops. Also, El Toro from what I heard, the lines are just as fast as on any given Cedar Point ride and nor does it have any down time. Look up how much downtime SOB has had, all and all it will come out to almost 2 years in 9 years of operation. Pretty bad.

downtime and smoothness are not the issue. i do agree that its agreed among pretty much everyone that rides el toro that it is smooth. Downtime, i don't know and i don't really care too much about the lines. the fact is the reason they are built is because of decreased maintenance cost, not because of their uniqueness. It takes the designers thrill of creating a effective wooden coaster, because even if they dont do it as interesting as the others it will always be smooth... you lose the innovation The only way i would ever even consider riding a prefab is if it were in its own category completely. not wooden, nor steel. As of right now, its included in all the wooden categories and that just simply isn't a fair comparison. it doesnt matter though, as i highly doubt that they will be...

Yea, it's done like that to reduce maintenance costs. And guess what, it's super smooth and fun too, making it very popular! And still you won't ride it because it defeats the purpouse of wooden coasters?

Heh. Someone who won't ride one of the best coasters on Earth simply on principles. Now I've seen it all.

Oh: and by the way: Ridership is basically THE way to gauge popularity. I agree, with downtime it will effect totals. Like Top Thrill Dragster, it's first year ridership was about 40 thousand less then future years because of it's significant downtime. But day to day downtime and maintenance is minisule in such numbers. If you think Ridership does not reflect popularity, then quite frankly, you have much to learn.

so you are saying that Adventure Express is more popular than Firehawk because it has at least twice the amount of people riding it each year? and it isnt really fair to judge popularity of a ride till it is not the new ride that is advertised on park maps etc. let us wait until Cedar Point has another big coaster to do that. ANY ride will have a big rediculous line the opening year if advertised at all...

so you are saying that Adventure Express is more popular than Firehawk because it has at least twice the amount of people riding it each year?

YES!

That's what I've been trying to say! If more people ride it, then odds are it's more popular!

How about this: If ridership doesn't make a ride more popular, then what does?

^^Why 2015? That is still a long way away. KI could put something there within three or four years instead of something else somewhere else.

If the decision for SoB to be dismantled come during the 2009-2010 offseason, I expect the actual work to start after the 2010 season. That gives the park a good 4 years to decide what to do with the land, if anything at all. Normally, there is a 3-5 year window of planning a major ride like a coaster for any park.

I didnt say that it had to be record breaking to be a great coaster.

No? Then what did you mean by this:

i feel that if Son of Beast were to go, something crazy, REAL record breaking, not just stupid mundane record breaking coaster...

Added BOLD emphasis:

Its more than fitting. Son of Beast makes Kings Islands skyline. It wasthe tallest ride in the park, and its smack dab in the front.

Eiffel Tower is about 350'

Drop Tower is 315'

SoB is 218'

How do you possibly believe that SoB is the tallest ride?

And even then, the most impressive thing with the KI skyline is the Eiffel Tower. SoB isn't even close.

more people would care than you think. So many people just make up stuff to sound cool. Even if they didnt care for the ride, or even ride it it would become the new thing to talk about. If you think about it, maverick at least in my opinion is the most under rated ride at Cedar Point. it is amazing, but except for the educated coaster lover no one really gives a flip because its in the back and isnt all that tall or unique visually. now add in the fact that the coaster would be in spot that occupied something gigantic it just wouldn't sit well with most people. Its like going from a hummer to a toyota prius. sure, you get better gas mileage, but every time your friends look at you driving it you get the look like this car is puny, and when hummers pass they just roar on by... just saying...

so using your thought process, if there is one, people dont like The Beast because its way back in the back of KI and not as tall as some other rides, or at least not easily seen from the front of the park? Dude, or dudette, you make no sense what so ever. And how would you rate a roller coaster's popularity if not for ridership of the ride? I for one enjoy Adventure Express... a very fun ride....