Why was Drop Tower closed

josh4958

Maybe they don't want to take a chance on the ride swaying and stress cracks happening, and then an accident happening. Yes, very unlikely, but possible. Also, I would think it would be recommended by the designer to not operate in high winds, and those recommendations must be followed.

it is recommended and ohio states you must follow the guidelines. it closes down before everything else when lightning is coming, as well because of its extreme height. the point is, they finally got whatever part and it is now operating!!!!

That first part is exactly what I said... On a different note, i wonder how far underground the base of the tower goes?

So far that it's actually connected to it's distant cousin:

p5740.jpg

Tower of Terror in Dreamworld, Australia! :lol:

In all seriousness, I would imagine if a normal footing goes down 30+ feet then Drop Tower would go down a hundred feet or more.

I went to the park last night and when I walked in I saw Drop Tower going with people on it! I was so excited and was so ready to ride. Well sure enough it closes down for the night. I was still happy to see the ride running. Seems like they must have gotten the cable fixed if that truly was the issue.

That first part is exactly what I said... On a different note, i wonder how far underground the base of the tower goes?

I have just the answer you are looking for. Steven Schaefer Associates, Inc., which is a Cincinnati based structural engineering, designed Drop Zone`s foundation. The foundations contains a 700 cubic yard concrete pile cap. The pile cap is supported by 16 H piles that are driven 90 feet deep to bedrock.

For wind, the reason the tower rides shut down is because the lift cables start blowing and slapping the tower. I know at SFGAm, regardless of the wind speed, if we notice a cable hitting the tower, that car (our tower in a 2nd Generation) is removed from operation and maintenance parks it at the top of the tower so the cables aren't exposed