Diamondback gives more than 1.85 million rides debut season!

KI FANATIC 37

I think that would be awesome but wouldn't they have to inspect it a lot eariler than? Also I have a question how come Cedar Point has had more days opened until 11pm than Kings Island? I wish we could be opened a lot later like that and have a extra hour or two of riding The Beast,Diamondback at night. I think it would be awesome.

That article reads that, The new Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island ended the 2009 season with more than 1.85 million rides given – the most rides given by a new attraction at the park since The Vortex made its debut 22 years ago in 1987 (2.18 million rides given).

Does that mean that Vortex gave 2.18 Million rides in it's first season? If so then wow, I thought Diamondback had capacity.

That article reads that, The new Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island ended the 2009 season with more than 1.85 million rides given – the most rides given by a new attraction at the park since The Vortex made its debut 22 years ago in 1987 (2.18 million rides given).

Does that mean that Vortex gave 2.18 Million rides in it's first season? If so then wow, I thought Diamondback had capacity.

Yes.

Only since Terpy isn't here...

Seriously though, yes, that means Vortex gave 2.18 million rides in its first season. In a earlier blog, it was stated Diamondback was on pace to give more than 2 million rides, breaking Vortex's record, but that didn't happen.

Edit: Apparently Terpy is here today.

If nothing else the numbers truly point out one of the B&M hypers greatest strengths: moving a lot of people through the line quickly along with the associated uptime. Most of the DB crews this year were really good about getting trains in and out and even long lines always moved fast.

On a side note, this was really a great year for me and the B&M hypers. Behemoth, DB, Nitro, Goliath @ SFOG gave fantastic rides for me this season. Nitro and Goliath, in particular, gave me airtime that I didn't experience in my go-arounds last year. Behemoth and DB are the two best B&M hypers going right now, and we've got the Carowinds Intimidator to look forward to as well, so I can't wait for next season.

I'd like to thank CF for continuing to produce these fantastic additions. Between the three hypers (Behemoth, DB, and Carowinds Intimidator), the giga (KD's Intimidator) and Prowler (winner of best new ride, and deservingly so), we've seen and continue to see some great new world-class rides. CF is really the only big chain adding any really big rides right now, so I'm hoping their financial situation improves.

I didn't catch that portion of the transcript, as I only read the summaries. It does make you wonder, however, exactly who is going to be responsible for creating any more hypers/gigas in the US. Europe has already moved away from building any coasters over 200'. It seems as though only China is really ramping up their amusement park projects whereas everyone else is scaling back (and in some cases way back, see Six Flags).

Dubai, despite the slouch in oil prices, is still poised to build basically whatever it wants. They already have an indoor ski resort, an underwater hotel due to come online soon and dubailand, just to name a few. I can see Dubai building extreme coasters for the forseeable future.

KI Insider

Pretty amazing how much riders it thrilled in 1 season!!

As I recall, it surpassed 1M rides in July, which means that the last half of the season ridership trailed off signifigantly, since I remember a post on the blog from Don saying it was on track to smash Vortex's ridership record. Now, of course, the 2nd half of summer coincides with back to school in August, so that most likely had a lot to do with ridership.