Voyage to get new trains for 2010

Monday, November 09, 2009HomeHoliblog › Santa Claus pays an early visit

Santa Claus pays an early visit

This is so "hot off the presses."

When we heard from the engineers who designed The Voyage that they wanted to also design coaster trains, we were intrigued.

More...

As you may remember, we provided The Gravity Group with a testing ground for their Timberliner prototype last spring.

And today we announce that indeed we will have the first set of Timberline trains on The Voyage in time for the start of the 2010 season.

Here's the news release:

‘VOYAGE’ ENGINEERS DESIGN NEW COASTER TRAINS

SANTA CLAUS, IN-----The #1 Wooden Roller Coaster in the World will feel faster and a lot smoother in 2010, thanks to a new set of trains, engineered by the same team who designed the record-breaking coaster.

“When the engineers at The Gravity Group told us they designed Timberliner trains with The Voyage in mind, they definitely got our attention” says Holiday World & Splashin' Safari president Will Koch. “The Voyage is extreme and we want to keep it that way season after season. These new trains will help a lot.”

01.jpg

Koch says the Timberliner’s wheels are engineered to steer through curves as they move along the coaster track, creating a smoother ride and less wear and tear on the track. The seats are ergonomically designed for greater comfort, including an exclusive seat-suspension design. The padded seats will also accommodate wider-hipped and longer-legged riders.

02.jpg

“Since the trains will ‘track’ better, riders will experience a much smoother Voyage,” says Koch. “That also means there will be less ‘rolling friction,’ so the ride will quite possibly be even faster when it reopens in May.” The Gravity Group’s engineers tested a prototype Timberliner at Holiday World last spring.

03.jpg

The Voyage is 1.2 miles long and provides a record 24.2 seconds of “air time.” This steel-structure wooden coaster, ranked the #1 Wooden Coaster in the World by Amusement Today for three years running, includes a record five underground tunnels (some are double, creating eight “underground moments”), a series of dramatic drops (including a 66-degree angle of descent on the first drop), three 90-degree banked turns, and multiple track crossovers.

The Voyage’s two new trains, which will each seat 28 riders, will be manufactured in Indianapolis. The Gravity Group is headquartered in Cincinnati.

These trains do look very unique but for a wooden coaster? These look like something that would be on Dodonpa or Hypersonic. I am anxious to see how these make the reviews of the coaster change. I never got to ride the coaster with the old trains as I have never been to Holiday World, I am also anxious to read the reviews of fellow KIC'ers next year.

Hehehehe For everyone who is Voyage fans will love these new trains. I have had the pleasure to consult with Gravity Group and since I have had hands on experience with the Timberliners I can't wait to ride Voyage next year. The Timberliners are very unique; comfortable seating with its own suspension and the way the restraints close in on you they can accommodate people who are tall or short, big or skinny. The steering are spring loaded this will eliminate squealing caused by shifting side to side helping with maintenance cost and smoother ride!

This might be the best announcement for me personally for next year. Carowinds and KDs rides look cool, but this announcement almost made me tear up. Voyage is by far my favorite coaster and to have it improved this way is nothing short of amazing. I really hope that these trains are as advertised. Add this along with Wildebeest and I'd suspect that Holiwood Nights next year will have a few more people than this past year!

I'm curious to see how riders opinions will change after their first ride. My friend who rode last year liked Raven more than Voyage, but I'm betting that if the hype is deserved then she very well may change her mind. I'd be curious to find out how the Interpreter feels after his first ride.

^ Can't answer that, but you do bring up something interesting. Take a look at the front seat, and notice that there is nothing blocking your view of the track! Even the GCIs relatively open front obscures your view of the track from up close, but these trains don't. Front row rides with these new trains are going to be wild!

Hmmm.... interesting design. Sounds good overall, but I'm really curious about those panels on the sides of the back of the seat. How high up do they go, and will the average rider be able to see over them? I don't like having my peripheral vision blocked, unless it's a coaster with OTSRs; I like a panoramic view while riding! :lol:

Looking forward to trying these next year!

To date, the only complaint I have ever heard about Voyage is that "it beats you up" and has some roughness. If these work the way GG says they will...Voyage will probably surpass all coasters, wood or steel! ;)

Sorry Bizarro and Millennium Force! :lol:

As for getting these for Racer & Beast, what about Son of Beast (if it does stay)? These trains are designed to reduce roughness and maintenence costs, SOB's 2 main issues. Though I would want them tested first, just to be sure they work. Then install them on ALL Cedar Fair WOODEN COASTERS. BWA HA HA! :lol:

^ Off-topic, but that is a great avatar. We saw that on-ride photo as we were leaving the park on closing day. Best on-ride photo we happened to see this year, so well done!

Thanks! I was wondering how long they kept that picture up there. As soon as we got off the ride, it was already up on the screens in front of the registers. The girl working there said her manager liked it so much that he wanted it to be their main picture. I told her that was fine with me. I had that picture planned for weeks. It's just too bad I even had to do it though, I'll miss Scooby!

With new trains on Voyage they have to test run them as if it was a new ride since the old cars used to be PTC's, then they are going to compare read outs. I have seen video of the Timberliners run on Raven and I can't wait to see how they maneuver around the 90's since it seems that the PTC's just don't like to! I know that the guys @ GG are very excited and can't wait to start running them on Voyage!

The new trains do look very comfortable and I'm sure they will ride much better than the bulky PTCs. But they have a weird look to them, I'm afraid the trains will look kind of ugly in signature shots. If it does, who cared,I'd much rather have a better ride experience than a better looking ride. Also, I'm going to Holiday World next year, and I can't wait to ride Voyage with these new Timberliners. I haven't been to Holiday World since 2001 and so I haven't ridden Voyage yet (I have ridden Raven & Legend though) I just wish I could of ridden Voyage with the PTC's just to know how they compare.

While I would have liked to ride Voyage with it's original trains, these look fantastic! I can't wait to ride Voyage now, especially with these trains, I guess all they're missing is cup holders!

Great move by Holiday World, absolutely can not wait to ride Voyage!

As for getting these for Racer & Beast, what about Son of Beast (if it does stay)?

IMO, the problem is not the trains. We got new trains in 2007 and the roughness was barely effected. It'd be like putting a cast on your arm for a brain tumor, it's just not the problem. It's the track, and the stress put on the track. If the trains are significantly lighter, it may make a difference, but we got lighter trains in 2007, and the difference is practically none.

Cupholders? I know you are joking, but as one who has more than once been drenched by a beverage on a coaster, please no!

Terpy, who once was drenched by a lemonade on the mine train at Six Flags Over Georgia, and the woman who brought it aboard was furious at the drenchee (as if HE had any choice in the matter!). Sigh.

These. Look. EPIC!

It was pretty much guarenteed after they used Raven to test them, but seriously. I can't contain my enthusiasm right now. Wow. Go Holiday World. I can't wait to hear Giga's response!

^Meh, maybe it would actually make the mine train more exciting. That ride is horrible. And painful. And the only coaster I've ridden with more than two lifthills.