GIGANTIC PTR-VTR: Weekend in St Louis!

gigacoaster2k

WARNING: You may want to hit the restroom, and/or grab a snack!

So here's how it started:

Last Monday, I was depressed. Cedar Point had closed the previous day, and I was missing my roller coasters. Kat (violakat03) was texting me, and brought up that she was going to Six Flags St Louis that weekend (they were open from 11 am to 6 pm). Even more depressed, I made a comment about how I wished I could go. She talked to Adam and Nick, and the three of them decided they wanted me along for the ride! I WAS STOKED! I managed to get the days off work too!

** DAY 1, NOVEMBER 5: ROLLER COASTER CAR! **

Kat and Nick (dare to fly) picked me up in a shiny black Ford Fusion rental. Nick made a comment that he was impressed that I'd only packed one bag (I've learned that the more I pack, the more confused I get! haha).

We hit I75 south from my house toward Cincinnati to pick up Adam (pkiboy), and then it was off to Nick's house in Milton, Indiana for a stayover before the drive to Missouri. On the road, I became part of a hilarious game: hypothetical strip padiddle! (for those of you who aren't aware, a padiddle is a car with no headlight. Whenever one of us saw one, we'd claim a random person's piece of clothing in the car.) We didn't actually take anything off, but it was amusing to say the least. We discovered a road on the way there that, I kid you not, looked like freaking Racer. He hit some of those hills with some speed, and I literally came up off my seat at one point! I GOT EJECTOR AIR ON A FREAKING ROAD!

We stayed up for a while, going through Nick's coaster stuff (which he has A TON OF), and discussing which parks we want to visit, and Adam became fascinated with the "happy apple" (a smiley toy apple that made a little ding-a-ling noise when you gave it a good smack) on Nick's computer desk. We passed out for the night, with plans to make the drive to MO the next day.

** DAY 2, NOVEMBER 6: DRIVING, DRIVING, AND MORE DRIVING! **

We woke up and went downstairs for food. Nick's mother offered to make us breakfast, and Adam helped out. We had a delicious breakfast of sausage, toast with butter and jelly, scrambled eggs, potato cakes, milk, orange juice, powdered donuts, and blueberry donut sticks. YUM!

Before we headed out, Nick offered to show us Midnight Trail (?), the haunt he is building behind his house. We got a full walk through, and I was extremely impressed. We also played with his pretty and sweet dog, whose name escapes me (sorry Nick!).

We got our stuff together, got in the car, and we were off!

I can't remember everything. It was a long drive, and we went back and forth between howling with laughter and having heart to heart conversations. Oh, and reading the ACE Rollercoaster! magazine with Magnum on the front, jamming to amusement park music, and continuing the game of hypothetical strip padiddle.

Adam is making faces at me.

IMG00198.jpg

Nick is happily whistling along to the music, and totally oblivious that I took a photo of him.

IMG00199.jpg

Happy Kat (yes, she is reading the ACE magazine, haha)!

IMG00201.jpg

Yours truly! I love this shirt (thank you Kings Island!).

IMG00205.jpg

Here is the magazine we are reading (and Adam's phone somehow got in the picture haha)! Isn't the front cover just beautiful?

IMG00206.jpg

Driving toward Indianapolis, I whipped out my crackberry and started snapping skyline photos.. I love city skylines!

IMG00207.jpg

IMG00208.jpg

IMG00209.jpg

IMG00211.jpg

Miles and miles later, we stopped at a rest stop somewhere just inside the Illinois border. Here, we found beautiful landscaping, and a historic bridge (yes, at a rest stop, of all places). So out came the cameras again.

Kat took a photo of me stopping to smell the roses. They smelled amazing, didn't they, Kat?

IMG00213.jpg

Nerd shot of the history of the bridge.

IMG00214.jpg

Ground shot of the bridge.

IMG00215.jpg

A rather interesting pamphlet I picked up in the rest stop information center.

IMG00216.jpg

I just had to take a pic of the back of Kat's shirt.

IMG00217.jpg

Back on the road! Another shot of yours truly, this time with my blingin stunna shades.

IMG00219.jpg

Random gigantic cross on I70.

IMG00222.jpg

A truck towing a truck towing a truck towing a truck.

IMG00223.jpg

BACKLOT STUNT CAR!

IMG00224.jpg

We're finally here! Hello, beautiful St Louis!

IMG00232.jpg

We arrived at our hotel, to see that we could see Six Flags from our hotel parking lot, and it was a 10 minute walk from our hotel! We grabbed all of our stuff, checked in, and Nick and Kat promptly passed out. Adam and I had wanted to make a trip to the Walmart that was about a half mile down the road, but we didn't want to wake them up, so we decided to walk. I scrawled a note on a napkin and tossed it on the table, and outside we walked to find it was a BEAUTIFUL night. It was a breezy and balmy night, 66 degrees. So we walked all the way to Walmart and were in the store when Adam realized he forgot his wallet. So we walked all the way back, and at one point I didn't feel like walking around this chain link fence so I just jumped it.

Nick and Kat woke up, and we all drove back out to Walmart and bought a ton of food. I also took goofy pictures while we were grocery shopping.

IMG00236.jpg

IMG00237.jpg

Yes.. we were getting slap happy at this point. The rest of the night was spent goofing off in the room, to the point where we were laughing so hard we were crying. As slap happy as we were, we managed to get some sleep, and planned to get up to be at Six Flags before they opened the next morning!

** DAY 3, NOVEMBER 7: SIX FLAGS ST LOUIS **

The next morning brings more silly photos. Here is me showing off my Voyage shirt.

IMG00238.jpg

And Adam and I being stupid.

IMG00239.jpg

I had went to take a shower that morning, and I slipped in the shower. I grabbed for a random part of the wall, and ended up grabbing the towel rack outside the shower, and a towel fell in the trash as the curtain was yanked aside, throwing every bottle in the shower stall into the tub or on the bathroom floor. I died laughing at myself over that one.

It was time to go! The temperature was reading 66 degrees, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.. it was GORGEOUS in St. Louis!

You can see the park from the hotel parking lot!

IMG00240.jpg

We passed a Sherwin-Williams paint place on the way there. I took a pic of this sign that I found rather environmentally unfriendly.

IMG00241.jpg

HERE WE COME!

IMG00243.jpg

GETTING CLOSER!!

IMG00245.jpg

Win.

IMG00246.jpg

73 degrees. In November! It felt like the middle of July.. DEFINITELY did NOT feel like November in St Louis!

Batman the Ride testing! We could hear the signature B&M roar!

IMG00247.jpg

Going into the park, we also met up with several people from another coaster enthusiast website. There were a total of 9 or 10 of us in the group by the time the park opened. When it did, we all got our photo with Mr Six! I don't have the photo, but I'm sure I'll be tagged in it later.

I had decided I wanted Evel Knievel as my 50th coaster (I was at 48 before the trip), so we headed for Boss first.

IMG00250.jpg

Enjoy these woodie pics from as we walked to the station. I took a lot of them.

IMG00251.jpg

IMG00252.jpg

IMG00253.jpg

IMG00254.jpg

Boss and Screamin Eagle in one shot.. mmm, I love wooden coasters!

IMG00255.jpg

IMG00256.jpg

Some may disagree, but I didn't find Boss to be that great of a ride. It felt like I was riding a mini Mean Streak.. I gave it two chances, and I came off with a bad headache and a backache, no matter what I did.

Headed to Knievel to make it my 50th, but the line was at an hour wait, so we skipped it in favor of my 50th coaster being Mr. Freeze. I did take some Knievel pics, though.

IMG00257.jpg

IMG00258.jpg

Adam loves this coaster!

IMG00259.jpg

This sounds good to me!

IMG00260.jpg

MR FREEZE!

IMG00261.jpg

IMG00262.jpg

Theming.

IMG00263.jpg

Kat and Nick are on the trains shown in the two pics below!

IMG00264.jpg

IMG00265.jpg

Mr. Freeze is a crazy awesome ride. In my mind, it stomps TTD. I announced that it was definitely worthy of my top 5 steel coasters!

Kat told me that there used to be tunnels like this at KI, so I took a pic for those of you who want to remember them. I thought these tunnels were pretty cool myself.

IMG00266.jpg

Walked by Xcalibur and Tony Hawk's Big Spin on the way to Screamin Eagle, and took some pics.

IMG00267.jpg

IMG00268.jpg

Going to Screamin Eagle!

IMG00269.jpg

I like the M&M steps. They are cute at SFKK, and they are cute at SFSTL.

IMG00270.jpg

Six Flags cracks me up.

IMG00271.jpg

Kat and I in line for Screamin Eagle!

IMG00272.jpg

The gross platforms are everywhere.

IMG00274.jpg

Screamin Eagle!

IMG00275.jpg

I liked Screamin Eagle. It reminded me a lot of Racer.

We went to ride River King Mine Ride.. wow, that was a stupid, pointless ride. It had 3 tiny lift hills, and a trim brake. Even CCMR is better than that.

Then it was off to one of the coasters I was looking forward to the most: Batman the Ride!

IMG00276.jpg

IMG00277.jpg

IMG00279.jpg

I liked Batman, but I honestly like Raptor better. Batman has 2 loops, but lacks my favorite invert element: a cobra roll.

The four of us decided we were hungry, and were looking at a map trying to figure out where to eat when something happened that has NEVER happened to me at ANY amusement park: AN EMPLOYEE WALKED UP AND ASKED IF WE NEEDED HELP.

Kat grabbed a hot dog, I got chicken tenders, and I believe Adam and Nick both got burgers. We drained like 946 gallons of lemonade, and then decided it was time for my first GCI: Evel Knievel!

IMG00280.jpg

KI reference at a park in Missouri!

IMG00282.jpg

IMG00283.jpg

IMG00285.jpg

IMG00286.jpg

IMG00287.jpg

IMG00289.jpg

I had heard so much about Knievel, but didn't think it would be that great.. HOLY COW, WAS I WAY OFF ON THAT ONE. It knocked Legend out of its #2 spot on my top 5 wooden coasters. Not quite Voyage, but good enough to be my #2 as far as I'm concerned.. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG00288.jpg

After that, we all ran back for another ride on Mr Freeze.. blew me away again! I LOVE THAT RIDE!

Time for my credit on the death machine.. um, I mean Ninja.

IMG00290.jpg

Why am I doing this?

IMG00292.jpg

Nerd shot of the control panel.

IMG00293.jpg

Ninja wasn't as painful as I expected (we rode in the very front row), but it failed to impress me. It's a diet Vortex.

My last coaster credit of the trip was Tony Hawk's Big Spin. I chose to ride this last, as I don't do spinning rides well.

IMG00294.jpg

IMG00296.jpg

It went down for mechanical difficulties for about 20 minutes. The park was closing in 45 minutes, but we chose to wait it out. We all got to ride, and I loved my first spinning wild mouse! It's like a Tilt A Whirl on drugs.. barely made me dizzy at all, in fact, it was really fun!

We realized we weren't going to get to ride everything we wanted, so we booked it for Xcalibur. Terpy, THANK YOU SO MUCH for telling me to ride this. It's now my #2 flat ride, right below Skyscraper at CP. That was INSANE!

Nick and Kat wanted a night ride on Boss, but Adam and I wanted a night ride on Evel Knievel. Here we are, waiting for THE LAST ride!

IMG00297.jpg

Adam and I managed to make it onto the very last train of the year, for our night ride.. TOTALLY epic! What a terrific way to end the day at SFSTL!

Ride count:

Boss: Adam and I 2, Kat and Nick 3

Evel Knievel: Adam and I 3, Kat and Nick 2

Screamin Eagle: Nick, Kat and I 1

Mr Freeze: 2

Batman: 1

Tony Hawk's Big Spin: 1

River King Mine Ride: 1

Ninja: 1

Xcalibur: 1

We went to a gift shop and we all bought SFSTL shirts, and we got to shake hands, joke and talk with the park president before we left! Our friends took pity on us that we had walked there, so they gave us a ride.. to Applebee's! The 9 of us laughed and chatted over drinks and good food, and got to know each other a little more before we said our goodbyes for the night.

After we arrived back at the hotel, we couldn't get to sleep. We stayed up until the wee hours of the morning, giggling from being so slap happy, laughing over nothing and at each others' brainless and klutzy antics, and feasting on ice cream. Tentative plans for the next day were to go to the Gateway Arch, and then to a hot dog roast at Nick's house.

** DAY 4, NOVEMBER 8: ST LOUIS GATEWAY ARCH EXPERIENCE **

This was BY FAR my favorite part of the entire trip. I'm going to let most of the photos speak for themselves.. my jaw dropped at this GIGANTIC structure and rendered me totally speechless. I was beyond stoked when I found out we were going to the arch!

IMG00299.jpg

IMG00301.jpg

IMG00302.jpg

We parked in a parking garage down by the riverfront, and started walking down the stone tree-lined path toward the arch. It is simply astounding to see.

IMG00305.jpg

Some shots of St Louis from the walkway.

IMG00306.jpg

IMG00307.jpg

A little boy and his dad playing baseball on the field by the arch. This was too cute not to share.. he even had a little baseball hat on.

IMG00312.jpg

Here is the part of my TR that I have been so excited to write, and to show you all.

Enjoy.

IMG00313.jpg

IMG00314.jpg

IMG00315.jpg

IMG00316.jpg

LOOK AT THAT SHADOW!

IMG00317.jpg

IMG00318.jpg

Here's a brief video of me showing you how high the arch really is. I didn't think photos did it any kind of justice.

It's time for our journey to the top!

Before you go underground to the trams, they check your bags, and you go through a metal detector, and then your belongings are screened. So DO NOT BRING ANYTHING YOU DO NOT ABSOLUTELY NEED!

IMG00361.jpg

IMG00320.jpg

My ticket and Adam's ticket!

IMG00321.jpg

Nerd shots.

IMG00322.jpg

Topping off the arch.

IMG00323.jpg

This is a simulator where you can put the last piece in. It wasn't working.

IMG00325.jpg

Scale model of the arch.

IMG00326.jpg

MY BOARDING PASS TO OUR TRAM!

IMG00324.jpg

(I am getting excited typing this, and remembering the experience!)

OMG OMG OMG HERE'S OUR DOOR!!

IMG00328.jpg

One more photo before we get in the elevator.

IMG00329.jpg

WE'RE IN THE ELEVATOR! I am excited!

IMG00331.jpg

The elevator capsule really does feel like they are cramming you into a dryer. It seats 5 in a semi circle, and you can't sit straight up. It is EXTREMELY claustrophobic, and the elevator kind of tick tocks back and forth as it goes up. It takes 4 minutes to get to the top of the arch. However, I tossed aside my slight claustrophobia for this experience.

The elevator stopped, and our doors opened. We ducked out into a narrow stairwell, and walked up the stairs to a crowded curved-looking hallway with windows on the side. I looked out the windows and saw this, and I gasped in total amazement as the view literally took my breath away.

I also took 2 videos, 1 from each side of the arch.

IMG00335.jpg

IMG00336.jpg

IMG00337.jpg

Kat at the highest point of the arch!

IMG00338.jpg

And yours truly at the highest point!

IMG00339.jpg

Enjoy the view from 630 feet!

IMG00340.jpg

IMG00341.jpg

IMG00342.jpg

IMG00343.jpg

IMG00344.jpg

Check out the arch in the parking lot.

IMG00345.jpg

IMG00346.jpg

IMG00348.jpg

IMG00349.jpg

IMG00350.jpg

Here is a reference shot with my hand on the window, just to give you a good feeling of how high up we really are.

IMG00351.jpg

Looking straight down!

IMG00352.jpg

It's time to go.. I could have stayed up there forever, if you let me..

Back underground, we saw an Arch vending machine! I want one!

IMG00356.jpg

We headed to the gift shop, where we spent far more money than we had planned. The souvenirs in the shop aren't cheap and junky like most places. They have beautiful and historic things that we all wanted to buy!

I really wanted this glitter globe, but I didn't have the money.

IMG00357.jpg

IMG00358.jpg

Choose your journey! The priciest one is $24 per person. The arch is worth any amount of money you spend.. trust me on that.

IMG00359.jpg

Enjoy some more photos of the astounding Gateway Arch.

IMG00360.jpg

I put my phone smack against the side of the arch and pointed my lens straight up.

IMG00362.jpg

IMG00363.jpg

Peek a boo, I see you.

IMG00364.jpg

I got a great picture of Kat and the arch.

IMG00365.jpg

Adam loves the arch!

IMG00367.jpg

As do I!

IMG00368.jpg

More photos for you to enjoy.

IMG00370.jpg

IMG00372.jpg

IMG00373.jpg

IMG00375.jpg

We had a parking garage picnic before we got back on the road. We were all hungry, and still had a lot of groceries left over, so we destroyed some chips and salsa, sandwiches, and juice. Then it was time for the long drive back home.. which made me sad.

Goodbye, beautiful arch..

IMG00383.jpg

This will NOT be the last time I go to St Louis.

Sweet Challenger I saw at a rest stop on our way back home!

IMG00384.jpg

Wannabe arch.

IMG00388.jpg

We stopped for food at a Sonic in Effingham, Illinois.. and we somehow ended up with pizza, Wendy's, and Sonic on our table. I got home around 11 pm Sunday.

Kat, Adam, and Nick: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.. FOR ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING you did for me and everyone during the trip. I can't thank you enough for inviting me along, and your unwavering friendship. I love you guys so much.. This was the experience of a lifetime, and I am NEVER going to forget it.

Thank you.

:)

Thanks for yet another fantastic trip report.

So sad Six Flags can't spell Kings Island! (Wonder if that was intentional?)

I can remember watching the monthly progress of the Arch in My Weekly Reader when I was a grade school kid! I can still remember how excited I was when I finally got there. It is truly a one of a kind experience.

Did you all not get time to do Scooby? At least it should be there next year!

Thanks for yet another fantastic trip report.

So sad Six Flags can't spell Kings Island! (Wonder if that was intentional?)

I can remember watching the monthly progress of the Arch in My Weekly Reader when I was a grade school kid! I can still remember how excited I was when I finally got there. It is truly a one of a kind experience.

Did you all not get time to do Scooby? At least it should be there next year!

I wanted to but the group didnt have time look for a PTR on Negitive G soon ;).

Rather than adding my own trip report, I'll piggyback some of my pictures on to Angie's. :)

16153_613448672170_38911838_34873929_539

Sunset over Illinois.

16153_613501900500_38911838_34875534_235

The exit for our hotel!

15333_613718631170_38911838_34881912_637

Angie forgot to mention that Ninja ATE MY CAMERA. Grr. I pulled it out of my pocket after the ride to snap a picture of Tony Hawk's Big Spin to discover that the LCD had been shattered. I know it was ok before the ride because I took a picture in the station. Grr!! I already ordered a new LCD for it off eBay, at least it will end up only being a $17 repair!

15333_613830536910_38911838_34886120_659

15333_613831090800_38911838_34886187_765

Nick wanted a different angle of the arch.

15333_613832193590_38911838_34886207_798

Angie <3's the arch!

15333_613835981000_38911838_34886370_297

The itty bitty elevator cars that Angie was talking about. Unlike her, they scared the crap out of me. There are probably still nail marks on Nick's leg from my death grip!

I have a whole ton more on my camera, I was just taking a few pictures with my cell phone and uploading them to Facebook as we went so my friends and family could track our progress and see what we were up to. I'll have all the pictures off my camera in a few days (my memory card reader is broken, so I have to borrow someone else's) and I'll add them into this thread also.

Oh my God. I completely forgot until now about the guy that came out of one of those tiny elevators BAWLING because he was that claustrophobic. Nobody was giving him a weird look either.

If you are even slightly claustrophobic, that elevator is going to scar you for life. It didn't bother me going up until it started moving from side to side. Going down scared the garbage out of me.

Angie, Kat, Nick and Adam your trip was fun to follow and the pictures really back that up. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I have enjoyed my trips with fellow members and think it is great to see you guys still getting together to extend the season of friends. I am with you Angie about exploring other tourist destinations while enjoying coasters trips.

Sounds like you all had a great trip - thanks for sharing the PTR/VTR with us all! I've been lucky enough to visit the Arch more than once and agree it is amazing (even on the 2nd/3rd trips it still blows my mind) - I probably have as many photos from as many different angles as you all do.

BACKLOT STUNT CAR!

IMG00224.jpg

I found this funny as my 6 year old calls BLSC the "Mini Cooper Coaster" which I think is a much better name (although the licensing agreement might be too much for CF/KI)

Kat told me that there used to be tunnels like this at KI, so I took a pic for those of you who want to remember them. I thought these tunnels were pretty cool myself.

IMG00266.jpg

I do remember at least one of these tunnels on the way back to rivertown through what is now part of NickU I believe. Cool is the operative word - it was a great place to rest on a hot day

We stopped for food at a Sonic in Effingham, Illinois..

On your next trip to St. Louis, I can recommend another place to stop in Effingham (and not the massive cross you took a photo of which is also there). If you like cars, there is a place called the Mygarage Corvette Museum http://www.mygaragemuseum.com/ which is a private collection of Corvettes and VW Bugs.

Awesome trip report, Angie! It looks like you guys had an absolute blast, and as Jesse said, the pictures back that up. I'm totally jealous that you guys managed to get one last coaster fix in before the "O-word" but I fully intend to make up for it with a SF/CF park marathon at the beginning of the 2010 season :D

I've never been to SFSTL or any tourist attractions in that area, but I must say that reading your trip report and seeing your pictures makes me want to go outside, hop in my car, and head that way right this second!

To be completely honest, if I had to choose between a roller coaster ride and another trip to the top of the Arch right now, I'd choose the Arch. It was that amazing to me.

More information can be found here. http://www.gatewayarch.com/Arch/index.aspx

If you plan on going, text the word Arch to 313131. You will receive a text for a buy one get one free admission to the top of the Arch. We took advantage of that.. our trip only ended up being $5 per person. It was a small price to pay for such an unforgettable experience.

The Arch Riverfront also offers helicopter tours, bicycle rentals, a museum, special exhibits, riverboat cruises, and documentary movies on the creation of the American West, the building of the Arch, and Lewis and Clark's journey. Not to mention the Historic Old Courthouse is right there on the riverfront.. Dred Scott, a slave, asked for his freedom at that courthouse.

I highly suggest that anyone who has not done the Gateway Arch experience DO IT when and if you get the chance. It's the experience of a lifetime.

Sounds like you all had a great trip - thanks for sharing the PTR/VTR with us all! I've been lucky enough to visit the Arch more than once and agree it is amazing (even on the 2nd/3rd trips it still blows my mind) - I probably have as many photos from as many different angles as you all do.

BACKLOT STUNT CAR!

IMG00224.jpg

I found this funny as my 6 year old calls BLSC the "Mini Cooper Coaster" which I think is a much better name (although the licensing agreement might be too much for CF/KI)

IMG00266.jpg

I do remember at least one of these tunnels on the way back to rivertown through what is now part of NickU I believe. Cool is the operative word - it was a great place to rest on a hot day

We stopped for food at a Sonic in Effingham, Illinois..

On your next trip to St. Louis, I can recommend another place to stop in Effingham (and not the massive cross you took a photo of which is also there). If you like cars, there is a place called the Mygarage Corvette Museum http://www.mygaragemuseum.com/ which is a private collection of Corvettes and VW Bugs.

I rember the tunnels! One was by the Nick food stand. I had a corn dog!