Employee Presentation

DragonLord

I have a question for the guests and would like input from the employees about the uniforms...

We have had a lot of problems with employees not tucking in their shirts, not having their name tags on, walking through the park while talking on a cell phone or listening to CD's (while in uniform).

To the guests: What do you think when you see an employee

1. just walking through the park with their uniforms untucked and no name tag on

2. operating rides while looking like the above

3. employees talking on cell phones or listening to CDs while walking through the park

4. Your idea of a "professional" look while employees are walking through the park

To the employees:

1. Do you think you should be allowed to walk through the park (while guests are in it or not, i.e. pre-morning ropes) with your shirts untucked

2. Do you think you should be allowed to talk on cell phones (non-emergancy calls) and/or listen to CDs while walking through the park

3. Remember that you signed a paper stating that you knew the dress the code and would follow it (and it states that you must have your shirts tucked in and name tags on while in the park).

4. Know (or have read) that at the blue gates and the brown gates have signage that states how you are supposed to look before entering the park and that it says you have to follow uniform standards (having your shirt tucked in and name tag on) before entering the park.

I just would like some input... I personally hate it when I see an employee walking around the park, on or off the clock, looking like crap. If an employee has no respect for how they look in public, they have no reason for working in such a public place. There is also no excuse for operating a ride, or being in public, without having your shirts tucked in and a name tag on. It just plain looks bad!

Associates need to remember one thing when walking through the park. While they may be off the clock and not have a care in the world, an associate is still a representative of the park while in the view of the guests. Thus, when they are walking through the park off the clock in wardrobe, we ask that associates remain within wardrobe guidelines. This is to make sure that we are showing our best to the guests and not allowing ourselves to succumb to negative comments because of first judgements on appearance. Remember that people often judge an institute on just one facet of the institution, and often for PKI that facet is associate appearance. Thus, we ask that all associates remain within wardrobe guidelines while in the view of guests.

First of all, why do you care mr. security guard?? You know what bugs me most, is when you darn security guards yell at associates for their wardrobe...its none of your business...if it bugs you to the point where you want to do something about it (which it shouldnt) then tell their supervisor/manager...becuase it sure aint your business. We even have a nickname for one of your fellow security co-workers, and its 'the nametag nazi', becuause he is insane about that stuff.

On a side note, everything you said i agree with. Employees should not be walking around like that, whether off the clock or on, becuase guests dont know whether or not your clocked in. I make this point all the time.

Hi Dragonlord,

Just my two cents...

Since I only make it to the park a few times a year I don't see too much of what you described, however, the reason I spend all the time and money to go to PKI instead of hanging out close to home is largely the employees. They make the atmosphere, which makes the park what it is.

Tucked or untucked, I couldn't care less as long as it's one or the other, not half-tucked or part-tucked, and it fits. I wonder how anyone could operate those rides for hours, running back and forth, bending over, taking items from riders, cleaning up barf, etc. - and keep their shirt tucked in.

Name tags are important for several reasons. I don't recall ever looking for one and not seeing one.

Employees on cell phones don't bother me as long as they're not being loud or rude. If they're on a break or whatever and want to make a call that would never bother me. Walkmans I don't care for in any public place.

Bottom line, I have utmost respect for PKI employees. I don't pay much attention to clothes because most of them usually wear the one thing that matters most to the guests - a smile. But sure, don't look like a slob, and be proud of where you work!

I guess having a few jobs, i will also comment.

I worked at best buy. Improper dress code was a TERMINATABLE offence. Not just talking a bout a simple write up. you could be FIRED for not wearing your clothes right.

PKI needs to project a professionable and profitable image. Who else, but employees, do this?

Very important... VERY.

Edited by PKILvr

I'm a regular at the park, so I know that the employees are some of the best there are. The only problem is, the non-local guests don't know that. It's sad to say, but a visual impression is the first impression that you make, so even if you are extremely polite and do everything you can for guests, they may still look down on you if you look like a slob.

As far as Walkmen go, I think that it's pretty obvious that any employee with a Walkman is on break, so I don't have a problem with that. Of course, if they caught a ride operator with one, they should be fired. They have way too much responsibility to have distractions like that.

As for cell phones, I don't really have a problem with them, so long as it doesn't interfere with their jobs. More or less, they should be able to carry them, but not talk on them on the clock. I think it's everyone's right to carry a cell phone. Some people feel naked without them, and they're excellent for emergencies. I currently work for Best Buy (so don't worry, I hear ya, PKILvr) and we are written up or fired for even having them on us. Whether they're even turned on or not.

In my opinion, the dress code-as long as you have on the proper uniform that identifies you as an employee that is fine, if you're not tucked in that is ok, just not the "drooping shorts", that to me looks awful. Name tags-if you're on the clock and actively working you need to wear the name tag at all times, if you're on break and want to walk around then it would be ok to take the name tag off, just don't be acting like an idiot, others do still see you as an employee even if you're off the clock. Walkmans and Cell Phones-while working I say no way, anything to take the attention away from ride operation would be a no no, on break would be ok. I wouldn't want the ride operator talking to their boyfriend, girlfriend, etc... and something go wrong on the ride. It's ok to carry a cell phone for emergency calls only, then make sure someone else is closeby and available to take over for you if you become distracted. When off the clock, say before or after work, change your shirt, then you can make your phone calls and listen to your walkman all you want, it's your time to do whatever you want. All-in-all, what I'm saying is, while on the clock, all of your attention should be given to ride operation and the patrons of the park. Just my opinion. wink.gif

I HATE when associates look like slop on or off break when in view of park guests. Part of the atmosphere at the park is provided by those in uniform.

I realize I'm pretty hard nosed about this, but I just do not understand why associates can simply not abide by the dress code. It's not that hard. Are teenagers today really so self-conscious, and searching for individuality that they can not look uniform to another group of people while they are at work. Droopy pants, untucked shirts, dirty shirts, name tag non exsistent, walkman, cell phone,,,, none of it makes sense. They're only at work a short amount of time, and if they can't wait until they are out of view of park guests to look dumb, security gaurds or anyone who has pride in the professionalism of the company should let them know that they are not representing the company well.

"as long as they're doing their job"- what? They are required to do their job. That's why Kings Island pays them money... They also pay them money to abide by the standards set up, and one of those is the dress code. Anyone who doesn't abide by that, or other policies, should be fired.

Edited by Jumpin Jack

On the clock, my crew members keep their shirts tucked in, nametags on, ETC. Off the clock, they are on their time, not mine. Nor are they on yours DragonLord so worry about something else. However, I do agree with you that they should keep their shirts tucked in, ETC, but like I said, I, as a supervisor, have no control over that and nor do you.

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

As for the tucked in pants part of your question, I have mixed feelings about it. I do feel that for the tourists that come to a park a first impression is a lasting impression...i never gave any real thought to it since I'm a regular. But on the other end, I can see where some of the employees are coming from....I personally would simply not feel comfortable at this stage of my life having my pants tucked in. That is why, though I think that its a great summer job, have chosen not to work at PKI and have sought out jobs that offer a casual dress environment. And I feel that for those employees that have trouble with the dress code, they should do the same. Though it might not be as fun and you might have to look harder there are alot more profitable jobs in the area that offer better pay with casual dress. As for Dragonlord, I can understand where you're coming from with having pride for the park, I feel the same and am of couse not an employee. But I do think that you have to lighten up a bit...I think that you take your job a little too seriously. One instance was when i was at the Weird Al concert...you gave a group of girls a severe repremand and lecture about how profanity was not tolerated in the park. I was sitting behind these girls...yes they were wearing kind of goth clothing...but they were as nice as could be and from my vantage point not one profane word came out of their mouths. So please lighten up a bit and remember we're supposed to be having fun here. cool.gif

When I worked at Six Flags, it WAS the job of the seciruty guards to make sure everyone was in proper uniform. As we walked from the backstage area to the onstage area, a security guard was placed there in the morning to make sure our shirts were tucked in, we had a belt on, we had our nametags on, we were wearing our name tags and hats (if we chose to wear them) properly, that the guys were properly shaved, etc. This was the whole point of the security guard being stationed at the gate in the morning. We were not allowed to have cell phones with us on stage. They had to be kept backstage in a locker. When they opened the employee commissary, we were also not allowed to eat in the park while in uniform or on break. The the food workers were not allowed to sell any food to a uniformed employee. (I got around this, however. I would wear a white undershirt. Then when on break, I'd go into the restroom and take off my uniform shirt. I never got caught my a lead or a sup, luckily)

I think that as long as an employee is onstage, they should abide my the dress code. Imagine going to a play and one of the characters finished their lines and then starts taking off their costume or talking on their cell phone while walking off stage. I think it creates the same effect of unprofessionalism. Then again, I wish PKI would return to their tradition of using theme "costumes" uniforms for the various areas of the park.

Cris

Like Losing Streak said... you are to be in full wardrobe or completely out of wardrobe (ie street clothes), on or off clock, at any point when a guest can see you. That includes arriving to work and walking through the parking lot.

AZ Kinda Guy... as a supervisor you can do everything there is to do about it. While they are off the clock, it may be their time... but its not their park. I tell everyone I see to tuck in their shirts or take off their walkman's until they are in Oscars or out of the view of Guests. They always yell at me cause "i'm off the clock"... then I explain to them and they tuck in their shirts.

Dragonlord... I know you are concerned about the look of employees, but unless you are a supervisor you have no right in the park to tell any associate to follow wardrobe rules. On those issues you are an equal to them, you have no authority.

Edited by beastfreak

Many of our employees are extremely nice to guests, however, as with anything, there are plenty of exceptions. I personally have witnessed associates being downright rude to customers, and it appalls me. Working at PKI is a privilege, not a right, and it would be nice if more of us treated it as such.

Dragonlord... I know you are concerned about the look of employees, but unless you are a supervisor you have no right in the park to tell any associate to follow wardrobe rules. On those issues you are an equal to them, you have no authority.

Several good points were made, but now I get to chime in again.

First, it is the job of a sup (and security) to make sure that the employees are following the rules, on or off the clock. Since the uniform standards are part of the park rules for employees, they should be followed.

Second, beastfreak, security does have the right to enforce the wardrobe rules. Security is not equal to anyone on wardrobe standards because we can be fired for being out of wardrobe... I mean, we get written up for not wearing black socks, for not having ink pens (which are part of our uniforms) and we would certainty be written up, if not terminated on the spot, for wearing our uniforms un-tucked in the park. All other employees are just told time after time to follow the wardrobe standards, but security officers can be fired for not doing so.

Az Kinda Guy, you need to watch your employees a little more! I have seen several working at Sling Shot, Delirium and on Drop Zone that do not have their name tags on or their shirts tucked in while operating the rides. For something like that I would ask them to tuck it in (and take down their name to tell a sup) and if I see it again, I am allowed to take their IDs. You better get your eyes checked if you think yours, or anyone else’s employees are following the standards for wardrobe while operating a ride. There was an employee (on his first day) working a ride and he had his shirt un-tucked and no nametag and there were three sups in the driver's box. If a sup thinks security has no right to tell their employees how to dress (on the clock operating a ride or otherwise), I'll be glad to sit down with them, the OD for the department and the security OD to go over the rules again.

The bottom line is this: Wardrobe standards are supposed to be followed by all employees on or off the clock if they are in uniform. The standard states that the uniform shirt must be tucked in, name tags must be worn, your not allowed talking on a cell phone while in the park unless you are backstage, and all employees sign a paper stating that they will follow those rules. Security officers DO have a right to enforce those rules, and supervisors have a responsibility to enforce those rules.

Be nice to an officer if they ask you tuck in a shirt... if they hear you cuss at them or if you say anything out of line, they will take your ID. If you don't want to follow the rules, then leave. It's as easy as that. Of course, it's stupid to quit just because you don't like to tuck a shirt in... even at "casual dress" places you have to have your shirt tucked in. "Casual dress" does not mean sloppiness.

Dragon Lord, why don't you lighten up a little. Az Kinda Guy and myself do tell our crew to tuck in their shirts, but we can't be everywhere all the time. And sometimes they forget their name tags, everyone does it at least once whille working there. We are short staffed sometimes and can't send them to wardrobe to get another one, no big deal. Yes I understand guest perception means alot but I think they would rather us run the ride than close it so everyone can go get a new name tag. As far as workers going on break, once again the supervisors can't go on every break to make sure their shirts stay tucked in, we aren't babysitters. As far as sucrity goes, ok telling them to to tuck in their shirt is one thing but taking their ID it is a little extreme, its toward the end of the season so we will be short staffed anyways and you want to get people fired over a name-tag or shirt. I mean no offence to you or anything but dosen't security have more important things to worry about such as guests fighting/line jumping etc etc than if an assoiciate has on their name tag??

Honestly I don't care about name tags unless they are on the clock. I do know that they can forget them, or that they can break, which is no big deal.

As of taking IDs away, I will do that to any employee who decideds to bad mouth me after I ask them to do something that is as reasonable as tucking in a shirt. I won't take an ID away just because a shirt isn't tucked in, nor will I take it away if they don't tuck it in after I ask them to. It is a different situtation when the employee happens to be operating a ride, though... not only can an untucked shirt be a bad presentation, it can be a safty hazard. I won't tolerate an employee (sup or otherwise) with an untucked shirt while operating a ride.

I don't come up with the rules, I just enforce them... I have to do what I'm told to, and some officers actually take the job seriously, like myself. I don't go around to every employee I see to ask them to tuck in a shirt, I can't because we do get other calls that are far more important. If I do see an employee with a shirt untucked and I can ask them to tuck it in, I will. I'm never rude about it, never mean, never have an attitude. I just ask them to tuck it in and keep it tucked in while they are in the park because not only is it a rule, but it makes the park look better as a whole.

KI_Kid, I never ment it to come across like having a shirt tucked in is more important than guest's safty... and it certainly isn't. In fact, I just started this thread so I can get other's opinions about it, and I'm glad I'm getting it.

One last thing, KI_Kid, if you would have told me something like your last comment to my face, sup or not, I would have had your ID and we would have had a talk with an OD and my boss. I might be a "rent a cop" but I don't have to deal with employee's bad mouthing me. Read the back of your ID it says "Upon request you must surrender this card to mamangement or security."

I don't quite understand why you guys are attacking DragonLord for just doing his job. I know that him telling you to tuck your shirt in may seem like he's flexing the power that they've given him, but hey, if you're jealous, apply to work in security.

Lets KISS it for the dumb ones.

You did sign a paper saying you would follow the dess code.

If they ask you to do it just tuck it in. Don't cuss em out

Name tags break if your a ride op easy solution is to become the driver on a coaster. Use whoever is in the booth driving the ride. Guests aren't allowed in the booth and no one really pays attention to drivers. Become then while your on the floor. Flat rides...well your SOL.

If you don't like it do what I did quit and become a goldpass holder cause goldpass holders tell security what to do cause we own the park!

laugh.gif

PS: do what the man says i mean look at em Hes a bad bad man who will whoop up on ya.

Edited by sobrider

While I agree with many points posted here on this thread here are my thoughts on the topic.

> I think employees should be in correct dress code whenever in the park. Employees represent the park, and interact with the guests; they should look professional.

> The issue with nametags. Has nobody realized that this could be a security issue? They should have them at all times, no questions asked.

> One thing that ticked me off very much this year. A group of 4 "associates" wearing the Blue PKI Polo Shirts, walked through the line of Vortex got to the front, took off their shirts; and rode. What a cheap way to line jump, especially when the wait was less than 10 minutes.

> One experience I've seen on Delirium. There's this tall skinny girl that I have seen working on numerous occasions. Either in the booth or checking restraints. She's always chewing gum, never smiles and never looks happy. She also has her shirt halfway tucked in. In other words the front is in, the back isn't. Not very good looking if you ask me. Another part is her hair, but we can't control that. smile.gif

In other words I think PKI should enforce their dress code strictly. Yes I also think security could be in charge of doing so. PKI could have a uniform that everyone hated, and was ugly; but they don't. They have something casual, but very nice looking; up until the point employees don't let them look good.

Edited by Tanner

Dragonlord need not be attacked. We all signed the paper, and we all got the handbook. That should be all the convincing you need. The nametag thing isn't huge, although an associate should know he forgot his nametag before he arrives at his work location, and stop at wardrobe on his way into the park. Common sense is not a requirement to work at PKI, however. And we are all forgetful. However, tucking in your shirt requires less than a minute to do, and it makes you look that much more professional and polished. Honestly, and I mean nothing bad by this, but rides seems to be the worst department at this. I've seen an associate in rides litter in my area's service area, while he had his hat on sideways, nametag on his hat, and shirt thrown over his shoulder. It was ridiculous. Food associates aren't perfect, mind you, but I try to make sure my associates have their shirts tucked in. I don't see why it has to be such a big deal, keeping your shirt tucked in and your phone/walkman in your pocket until you get "backstage." Not that hard. Neither is a nametag, though.

Nobody expects you to follow your associates on break, but you could mention it to them if you do happen to see them. Rides people tend to go on break in packs, I've noticed. But yeah. What do I know. I just set myself up to get ripped.