Cedar Fair buying P parks rumor.

DegenRider

I have been hearing this rumor for a few days now. Then again the SF disney rumor was baseless. I have actually heard a few people be worried.

I've been hearing about it for the last few days, and apparently they have been after PKI for a while

I know, but it actually had some people worried in the park

but it's very consistent between all the departments and all of the sups

Thats just some of the murmurs I heard what do you think?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's something that has come up before, although I'm not sure what the deal is with it... I've heard a ton of things about CF trying to buy other Paramount Parks and what not, and that they have been trying to get PKI for a while. Who knows... I don't get the Viacom financial statements anymore b/c I don't own any stock in them anymore, but I would be looking at that to see if the Paramount Parks division is making money that they need.

i doubt PKI would sell. CF would have to offer many years worth of KI's profit for them to do anything even possibly. They make money every year, why give it up for 1 payment. Also, all that time and effort and CP would probably have to rename and retheme rides of paramount theme

I've heard this rumor as well. Don't know how much truth there is to it though. I could see CP trying to buy PKI before Universal. PKI is their competition. What's so unusual about some company wanting to buy out the competition? Plus, look at what it would do for them. They would get another year round park, PGA, they would get two great parks in PKI and PKD. I don't think they would necessarily turn it into a coaster park either. PKI already has a great collection of coasters. They need a few more of a different variety is all. Plus, they would be gaining a park with the best kids' area. Maybe CP could take a hint from PKI on that one. CP's kids' area is not very good at all.

I've heard this rumor as well. Don't know how much truth there is to it though. I could see CP trying to buy PKI before Universal. PKI is their competition. What's so unusual about some company wanting to buy out the competition?

Not that unusual.

Plus, look at what it would do for them. They would get another year round park, PGA, they would get two great parks in PKI and PKD. I don't think they would necessarily turn it into a coaster park either.

Couldm't they just buy out the one park, not the whole franchise?

PKI already has a great collection of coasters.

Yeah.... no they don't.

Plus, they would be gaining a park with the best kids' area. Maybe CP could take a hint from PKI on that one. CP's kids' area is not very good at all.

Or not, why would you change either one? They both work and having two of the same kind of park less than a few hours a way isn't good business.

well, if CF bought PKI i personally think it would own. CF would change it to complete coasters, not family park. Thats good for me biggrin.gif

Sure that sounds good to you, but to the park's income that's basically a stab in the back. I really don't want to make my usual "PKI is doing the right thing by attracting the whole family" speach, so I'll just sum it up... When you have rides that attract people of all ages, that's a wider age group of people to come to the park (families spend much more money in the park than a tipical adult or teenager would). When you decide to just add coaster after coaster you just attract teens and coaster enthusiasts. A large selection of different rides for all ages = more $$$. Just add coasters to attract one age group = not so good $$$.

Just look at Delirium for example, a $2 million ride (that's what I remember, I may be wrong) that attracts MANY people, and frankly, it's probably the best ride in the whole park. Or you could just add a $8 million coaster and get the same effect, but you do not get as much money in return. You have to remember that PKI is a BUSINESS, and BUSINESSES are out to make MONEY.

[Just look at Delirium for example, a $2 million ride (that's what I remember, I may be wrong) that attracts MANY people, and frankly, it's probably the best ride in the whole park. Or you could just add a $8 million coaster and get the same effect, but you do not get as much money in return. You have to remember that PKI is a BUSINESS, and BUSINESSES are out to make MONEY.

Amen Brother Aaron!

I'm not sure that you could just buy PKI. Don't know the legal part of that one. What makes you, Snake, think that they don't have a good collection of coasters? You've got Beast and SOB, two of the best wooden coasters around, Face/OFF, FOF, Top Gun, Vortex, and believe it or not, I think that Rugrats Runaway Reptar is actually pretty fun too. They just need to expand on their variety. You guys don't think that CP attracts kids? You couldn't be more wrong.

When did we say that CP doesn't attract kids? All I said was that PKI attracts a larger age group with their variety of rides than does CP. CP's flat-ride collection is lousy IMO, and if it wasn't for their record-breaking coasters (that aren't open half of the time), the park would be no where. PKI doesn't have to have record breaking coasters to be an outstanding park.

I am sure if Viacom decided to sell their parks, they would sell all of their parks. The park divisions of entertainment companies (Vivendi/Universal and Paramount) do not not contribute a lot of revenue when compared to their other divisions. Now if for some reason, Viacom did want to sell the parks, CF may be the only company who would want them. Look at how much trouble Vivendi is having selling the Universal entertainment division. Everybody wants the music, television and movie parts but they do want the parks, which Vivendi is insisting is part of the package. But honestly, I don't think CF would want them at this point. They seem more interested in developing their smaller parks (MI Adventure, Valleyfair) into stronger players. Taking over PKI and the others would take their focus off that and they would end up as just being another Six Flags. And nobody wants that.

Or you could just add a $8 million coaster and get the same effect, but you do not get as much money in return. You have to remember that PKI is a BUSINESS, and BUSINESSES are out to make MONEY.

Wrong. Look, if you get a good 8 million dollar coaster you get much more in return. Look at CP. They got "Milli" right. It is a big draw or was a big draw. More people came to the park, I guess, plus it drew many t.v. deals. Now I dunno how them t.v. deals work. Maybe CP got money from the t.v. deals or vise versa but either way that is even more publicity. You can't tell me that CP doesn't have a higher attendance rate than King's Island.

all their coasters are 99% open except TTD, and TTD is a new ride and has hydrolic contaminent, TR:TR had problems too, and even Delirium had a piece of floor getting stuck. Over the winter it will be fixed. Dont try and diss CP, you cant convince any coaster lover KI is better rolleyes.gif

I'm a coaster lover. I like PKI better. But CP is still better for coasters. About the attendance thing, I'm pretty sure PKI had better attendance last year than CP. This year CP's ahead, but that's no shock with dragster. We're right behind them though.

Edited by RyanA

You can't tell me that CP doesn't have a higher attendance rate than King's Island.

Actually I can tell you that in the past few years PKI has consistantly beat out CP in attendance figures. If you don't believe me, you might want to give THIS a look over.

What record-breaking coasters are you referring to? TTD? The only one I can think of. At least they try to push the envelope with new technology, which is more than I can say for PKI.

The record breaking coasters that CP has built to break records (that doesn't mean that they still are breaking records) include: TTD, Millennium Force, Gemini, Magnum, Mean Streak, Mantis, Raptor, Wicked Twister... those are just off of the top of my head, if anyone has more please feel free to add on to my list.

Actually I can tell you that in the past few years PKI has consistantly beat out CP in attendance figures. If you don't believe me, you might want to give THIS a look over.

Would King's Island being located less than an hour away from two of Ohio's major cities have anything to do with that? rolleyes.gif

Oh, what record did Wicked Twister break?

When did we say that CP doesn't attract kids? All I said was that PKI attracts a larger age group with their variety of rides than does CP. CP's flat-ride collection is lousy IMO, and if it wasn't for their record-breaking coasters (that aren't open half of the time), the park would be no where. PKI doesn't have to have record breaking coasters to be an outstanding park.

Cedar Point is known for having all of its rides operating all of the time. Jeff from Guide To The Point has mentioned several times that Cedar Point has had a 96 percent up-time in past seasons. That includes their record breakers.

And if you take out the major coasters at any park, including Paramount's Kings Island, they're going to be in trouble. Some more-so than others, but if we wake up tomorrow morning to hear that "In an astonishing press release, Paramount's Kings Island has announced that they will be removing the following roller coasters from the park: The Beast, Son of Beast, Flight of Fear, and Vortex," you can bet that there would be a major drop in attendance. Not to mention the tons of hate mail the park would receive. laugh.gif

It seems as if everyone is mis-interpreting my posts. I am not at all against PKI getting a major coaster, in fact, I can't wait for our next one. All I am saying is that PKI is very wise in having a well rounded line-up of attractions that appeal to all ages instead of just having a bunch of major coasters. Coasters will always be the kings of amusement parks, and amusement parks would not be the same without them. But just because coasters are king doesn't mean that every addition has to be a coaster.

Why do these threads ALWAYS turn into a CP vs PKI thread?!?!?!?!

STOP!!!!!! ITS BEEN TALKED ABOUT!!! THEY BOTH HAVE GOOD AND BAD POINTS!!! EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINIONS!!!

... almost wants to make me stop coming to these forums.