Cedar Fair buying P parks rumor.

DegenRider

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

EPIC BUMP! Lol I love looking at all these old topics. Let's Go to the highlights, shall we?

I concur with Mr. Tanner on this one. It is extremely unlikely that Cedar Fair will purchase PKI.

Really?

Even if they didn't make an amazing amount of money off of the park, they still have invested a lot of time and money into it. I really doubt they're looking to sell.

Well I hope you didn't have any money on that!

i doubt PKI would sell. CF would have to offer many years worth of KI's profit for them to do anything even possibly. They make money every year, why give it up for 1 payment. Also, all that time and effort and CP would probably have to rename and retheme rides of paramount theme

Well PKI did sell. And they did retheme the rides. And it was done in one offseason.

yea, if disney bought SF then that would suck. if CF bought PP then that also would suck. they just need to keep it like it is.

If CF bought PP it would SUCK? How?

PKI is part of the Viacom Entertainment Group. CF does not have the money to buy it. If CF had the money and wanted to buy a park don't you think they would be looking at Universal, the park that is for sale.

Umm, maybe shoot high?

I'm not sure that you could just buy PKI. Don't know the legal part of that one. What makes you, Snake, think that they don't have a good collection of coasters? You've got Beast and SOB, two of the best wooden coasters around, Face/OFF, FOF, Top Gun, Vortex, and believe it or not, I think that Rugrats Runaway Reptar is actually pretty fun too. They just need to expand on their variety. You guys don't think that CP attracts kids? You couldn't be more wrong.

When is SOB a fun ride? And this was BEFORE it had new trains!

I am sure if Viacom decided to sell their parks, they would sell all of their parks. The park divisions of entertainment companies (Vivendi/Universal and Paramount) do not not contribute a lot of revenue when compared to their other divisions. Now if for some reason, Viacom did want to sell the parks, CF may be the only company who would want them. Look at how much trouble Vivendi is having selling the Universal entertainment division. Everybody wants the music, television and movie parts but they do want the parks, which Vivendi is insisting is part of the package. But honestly, I don't think CF would want them at this point. They seem more interested in developing their smaller parks (MI Adventure, Valleyfair) into stronger players. Taking over PKI and the others would take their focus off that and they would end up as just being another Six Flags. And nobody wants that.

OMG he was right with the first sentence! The last two sentences, though, uh huh.

What if CF did wish to purchase PKI with its almost 800 acres of land and many physical structures......what does everyone think the minimum asking price would be?

hmmm,,,,,,,1.24B for all of the parks?

Land value + rides/buildings/whatever + necessary rights to logos will probably be upwards of $500 million.

Good guess BoddaH

I'm not sure that you could just buy PKI. Don't know the legal part of that one. What makes you, Snake, think that they don't have a good collection of coasters? You've got Beast and SOB, two of the best wooden coasters around, Face/OFF, FOF, Top Gun, Vortex, and believe it or not, I think that Rugrats Runaway Reptar is actually pretty fun too. They just need to expand on their variety. You guys don't think that CP attracts kids? You couldn't be more wrong.

When is SOB a fun ride? And this was BEFORE it had new trains!

ever since it opened it has been an amazingly fun ride.

Well I hope you didn't have any money on that!

Hindsight is always 20/20, and it's neat to go back and look at these topics, but to dig up an old conversation and make annoying comments on how "wrong" you seem to think they are is quite ignorant. Those quotes took place in 2003, at the time Viacom was investing a lot into the Paramount Parks and using a different business model than CBS, who in turn sold to Cedar Fair. The Paramount's Kings Island of 2003 under Viacom was a far different place than the Paramount's Kings Island in 2006 under CBS, who in turn sold the chain to Cedar Fair. Many of those arguments made back in 2003 were quite valid.

It's weird that some members that seemed to post alot in 2003 are not here anymore....

You'll have that. Sometimes I'll see members names in the birthday bar at the bottom of the forums that used to make 10 or so meaningful posts a day and they fade out or abruptly disappear. Sometimes life goes on, interests change, people have kids, etc... Of course, the KIC brand is stronger than ever and is getting more members all the time.

I will stick with what I said in 2003 when I said Cedar Fair didn't have the money to buy Paramount Parks. I may have been incorrect about them buying

but we are still waiting to see if they have the money. ;)

They certainly didn't have the money, or they'd have paid cash.

If they had cash I guess they would have. I thought someone would straighten me out on the subject.

Beast1979,

For a short time I was hoping your Apology thread was sincere and heartfelt, but honestly after seeing your bumping of this topic with your post pointing out "how wrong" folks were in 2003 about a possible park purchase that didn't happen for another 3 years after those posts. Yet somehow you find it appropriate to post how wrong they were compared to today, but in 2003 many of those posts were logical and made perfect sense. Then again I am not surprised because I am sure in 2003 you had zero awareness of the amusement industry, how old were you then???

I think by your posting and what you posted in this topic you have proven that you have not learned from your mistakes and that your so called "Apology" was nothing more than a ploy to earn some praise on these boards that have not been kind to you lately.

Beast1979,

For a short time I was hoping your Apology thread was sincere and heartfelt, but honestly after seeing your bumping of this topic with your post pointing out "how wrong" folks were in 2003 about a possible park purchase that didn't happen for another 3 years after those posts. Yet somehow you find it appropriate to post how wrong they were compared to today, but in 2003 many of those posts were logical and made perfect sense. Then again I am not surprised because I am sure in 2003 you had zero awareness of the amusement industry, how old were you then???

I think by your posting and what you posted in this topic you have proven that you have not learned from your mistakes and that your so called "Apology" was nothing more than a ploy to earn some praise on these boards that have not been kind to you lately.

<_<

I bumped this only because I think it is funny to look back and see what they said, I never ment to come across as saying they were stupid, and if it came off that way sorry. I realize that making remarks on the posts was stupid, I know they were very logical and smart back then.

And since that topic how many bad posts have I made like this one? Are you just dieing anxious to pounce on a bad post? Are you itching to make me look bad? Cause seriously I've put in an effort and sometimes people slip up, do you expect a major change in just 4 days?

EPIC BUMP! Lol I love looking at all these old topics. Let's Go to the highlights, shall we?

I concur with Mr. Tanner on this one. It is extremely unlikely that Cedar Fair will purchase PKI.

Really?

Really Beast1979? Let's see, you were 7 then. I hardly doubt you were following the industry with your crystal ball saying "2.75 years from now they'll be wrong!"

I know I don't post much, but I do read a lot. RailRider, you are a voice of reason and I echo what you said.

Cause seriously I've put in an effort and sometimes people slip up, do you expect a major change in just 4 days?

Absolutely, we expected it, and we are giving you a chance. You need to take the criticism and just roll with it. That criticism is what makes people develop better judgment and maturity.

Lastly, you said you would try to sit back and read more, yet you are posting at the same clip as before. We are giving you a chance, but don't keep slipping up. You wouldn't have the extra chances if people didn't think you were worthy for their good graces.

You will learn in your life that slip-ups happen, some when we think they would be the least possible; you learn from them and by meeting that adversity head on, you hope that who you are and what you are truly about means more than the mistake you made.

Just on a side note, is there a way to figure out what old posts, such as this one, were originally from PKIUnlimited.com, and which ones were from PKICentral.com? I started on PKIU back in 03 under a different name and didn't come to PKIC untill they merged. I still remember some of the... different... topics that would be discussed on PKIU.

Ain't that the truth?

Terpy, a survivor of PKIU...

Its hard to search for some of the more juicy topics from back then. Really the best way is to find a really old member that you know posted in the more out there topics and search their posts. Reading some of them now amazes me. PKIU was dominated by park employees, primarily the rides department. Back then everybody was a smartass. :lol: Back then if this was happening, people either couldn't have cared less, or if you made them mad, they would rip you up so badly that you would never want to come to the site again. Peoples posts were much more goverend by opinions rather than facts.

EDIT: Man some of these old topics... I wish I could link them but I know the links would get removed ;) .

And since that topic how many bad posts have I made like this one? Are you just dieing anxious to pounce on a bad post? Are you itching to make me look bad? Cause seriously I've put in an effort and sometimes people slip up, do you expect a major change in just 4 days?

No I am not aiming to pounce on you after a poor post, you obviously haven't realized that myself and others are trying to help. I am not the one making you look bad, you have taken care of that yourself.

Do I expect a major change in 4 days? Absolutely, especially after your so called apology where you professed you willingness to change your posting habits. Yet in 4 days nothing has changed and this post is absolutely one of your worst choices yet. To bump a topic that is from 2003 and to state how wrong posts from 2003 are now, is insane, especially when you have no idea about what the industry and KI were like in 2003.

I am starting to ask myself if it is even worth the effort anymore, is there hope? Not sure, but there are plenty of so called enthusiast sites that are nothing more than average so called fanboys that are concerned more about quantity than content of their posts. I view KIC as not one of those sites and I think most of the members see it the same...

Ain't that the truth?

Terpy, a survivor of PKIU...

Its hard to search for some of the more juicy topics from back then. Really the best way is to find a really old member that you know posted in the more out there topics and search their posts. Reading some of them now amazes me. PKIU was dominated by park employees, primarily the rides department. Back then everybody was a smartass. :lol: Back then if this was happening, people either couldn't have cared less, or if you made them mad, they would rip you up so badly that you would never want to come to the site again. Peoples posts were much more goverend by opinions rather than facts.

EDIT: Man some of these old topics... I wish I could link them but I know the links would get removed ;) .

Oh how wrong you were. PKIU was ran by Mafia like organization to which we had a botnet of hamsters in a cages typing out witty banter...or what was witty when your 19 years old.

Weren't those they days?

To be honest...I don't miss them...but that is just the opinion of an "outsider". If I had been a park employee back then and knew everyone on the board I can see where it probably would have been fun taking jabs at each other. (If you knew each other you could tell what was and wasn't a joke.)

I came up with that screen-shot of PKIU late last year. I WAS planning on doing a "trip report" to the old PKIU website during the off season...but to be honest, the more I dug around the archives the more I remembered why I was thrilled when PKIC came along! PKIU was truly like a wild west version of a Kings Island fan site...which for someone with my personality was not a good thing...I am a little more mature and orderly...at least I like to think so.