Adventure Express Lift hill

israel09

Nope. Aside from some of the theming being stripped from the tunnels (Am I the only one who remembers a blood red lit tunnel at night?) the ride has always run the way it is.

ok, maybe thats what i thought was the lava room, the bright red room, i was very young! lol

Adventure Express was at it's worst theming about 2 or 3 years ago. I remember riding it with the music not even going half the time and then the Tiki men were hardly ever going. In fact, you could have considered yourself lucky to have a ride with the tunnel at the end operating. I have been stopped in that tunnel on the lift before, as the ride was having mechanical troubles at the time.

Guest TombraiderTy
I just don't understand why they can't add more to it, it's so lame when you're riding and trying to see things in the tunnels......it's too fast and dark. So they should just take the theme out anyways!

Which adds to the experience... you have to ride multiple times to notice all the details. How boring would it be to ride it once, see everything, and never have another ride experience that's different?

The only theming I can really notice is the guy with a spear stuck through him. That is mainly because I know where to look for it, if you are riding it for the first time and have no idea where to look then I think you would be more or less clueless as to what is going on.

I think the Lava themed tunnel was the third one, on the KI site it mentions having three themed tunnels and the third was a volcanoe. Anyway, i would love to see a little money put in for AE with a little tuning up and lights it could be realy cool. ;)

Lets not forget about the warning signs about the track being out ahead, the snakes in the tunnel, the spears sticking out of the ceiling (that used to work,) the crumbling effects on the lift/turn, yeah, there is a lot in there.

The "lava" effect on Bubba was a mix of fog and dripping water, from what I remember.

Guest TombraiderTy

Let's start with the audio in the station, mentioning various expeditions and procedures ("Firearms are to be checked as luggage", etc.). This sets the mood for the attraction. The train design, compared to being a standard roller coaster car, is also shaped and decorated to look like a row of mine carts.

The attraction begins with a drop into the dense jungle and the sounds of exotic animals in the distance. As a reminder, themeing doesn't have to be a physical- it can be something abstract like sound. After making two sharp turns, you dive into the attraction's first tunnel. The train zooms past a "Track Closed" sign with a lantern hanging on it, hinting at the dangers to come. Themeing in this tunnel includes various snakes and TNT crates.

The second tunnel, entered shortly after the first, is the booby-trap tunnel. The outside looks like a temple, and the inside is filled with exotic shields and spears. When the effects were in working order, the spears on the ceiling would rise up-and-down, as if they were about to drop and stab you. The famous skeleton is also at the end of this tunnel, having been pierced and trapped by a spear-through-the-chest.

The first lift-hill features various tribal masks, as well as the sound of the track groaning against the weight of the train. There's also some ivy hanging on a few of the archways you pass under.

The thrilling coaster segment follows, whipping around turns and speeding down small hills. The train wraps around an overgrown temple structure, passing under various archways. It also enters the ride's third tunnel, a volcano. Besides the red lights, this tunnel also once featured fog or mist.

Finally, the coaster train enters the fourth and final tunnel. At the entrance are various masks, while further inside this tunnel are nine stone warriors, four on either side of the track and one at the very top. Besides the "You will pay" chant, pounding their fists, and their illuminated eyes, the top stone warrior also tips his basin of lava down towards guests. There was also once fog/mist in this tunnel.

To be honest, it's pretty pathetic if a person can only call-out one piece of themeing from that whole ride... Sure, it's not Disney-quality, but it's still pretty-well themed for a seasonal amusement park.

And Firehawk123, how can you not call something like this themeing :huh::

ae1a.jpg

Heres my idea for next year. How about Cedar Fair fixes all of the existing Adventure Express theming, and adds some new special effects.

Then Cedar Fair could rename AE, bill it as a "new" ride, and maybe even advertise it as some sort of new magical adventure. They could even extend Adventure Express onto some of King Cobra's old land, making it the longest Mine Train roller coaster in the world.

For me, a "new" Adventure Express would be way better than SOB.

While the odds of that happening are, in my eyes, are practically zero, it does sound like a cool idea.

^

Agreed. But if they did do this, it would be very cost efficient, and could even be billed as a new roller coaster. Extending Adventure Express is just fantasy, but the rest can be done, and if it were, AE would be my second favorite ride in the park, second only to The Beast.

(I really hope Cedar Fair reads this)