Adventure Express Lift hill

israel09

The fog used on the ride originally was a water mist system (similar to the unit used on WTRA). It was removed due to excessive rust to the car undercarriage.

Nothing a little paint can't fix.

I would actually like to see this as I found a new fond love for Adventure Express this year. It is actually a very fun little coaster, deserving of a 5? No, maybe a 4, on the fun factor though, it is very high up on the scale.

Agreed. Adventure Express is my fourth favorite coaster at KI, and could easily be my second if Cedar Fair does decide to fix it up.

(The Beast, Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Adventure Express, Firehawk)

Especially if your not expecting that ot be the end. The first time I rode I kept anxiously awaiting a big drop and was all excited when we hit the lift. What a let down!

I started riding it again this season and have a new found love for it. It's not a thrill ride but it really is fun. At night is even better.

I had a chance to talk with the operations director of Rivertown, who was quick to let me know that (and I quote) "Paramount made a lot of rides interact with water without thinking of the long-term effects," specifically referencing Adventure Express, Tomb Raider, and the Italian Job by name. So, don't hold your breath looking for fog to return to any of those rides. Really. Especially with Cedar Fair. Paramount had naivete to its negative impact, and had a budget and specialty for it. Cedar Fair has neither.

• Like 1

^^The problem with that is, if you move all the theming to the first lift, then you just get a lift at the end of the ride into a brake run. No entertainment value whatsoever. At least with the theming there, you get some sort of entertainment while you're going back up to the station.

Guest TombraiderTy
I had a chance to talk with the operations director of Rivertown, who was quick to let me know that (and I quote) "Paramount made a lot of rides interact with water without thinking of the long-term effects," specifically referencing Adventure Express, Tomb Raider, and the Italian Job by name. So, don't hold your breath looking for fog to return to any of those rides. Really. Especially with Cedar Fair. Paramount had naivete to its negative impact, and had a budget and specialty for it. Cedar Fair has neither.

Adventure Express opened in 1991, pre-Paramount ;)

On the subject of water/mist/fog/whatever affecting roller coasters, take a look at what continuous mist has done to the Incredible Hulk roller coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure:

img1704w.jpg

It's worth noting, however, that their indoor Revenge of the Mummy attraction uses fog/mist with seemingly no problems :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've always thought that the pot should drip water.

On the subject of water, Ryan (BoddaH1994) and I learned that riding AE in a downpour is NOT the smartest idea. OUCH!

I rode The Beast during Haunt a couple years ago when it was like 50* out and absolutely pouring rain. It was a bit painful, but very fun. When coming out of the helix, it felt like hitting a wall of rain since it was dry in the tunnel.

I think coasters are really fun when it is cold out.

:)

Edit:

anybody thinking how db will be afected, since a brake run is in the water (a.k.a. waterbrakes)?

I don't think it will be affected too much since the track doesn't actually sit in the water.

B&M's track is fabricated MUCH better than Premier track. It withstands the water to the extent that the paint doesn't chip off and the track itself doesn't rust. ANY ride exposed to constant water will need repainting, but B&Ms require far less actual work. And yeah, my mistake about Adventure Express fog being Pre-Paramount, but they took the idea and ran with it. If we were to make a list of all the rides built with water effects, but turned off by Cedar Fair we could compile quite a list:

Kings Island

The Crypt

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Adventure Express

Cedar Point

Maverick

Magnum

Kings Dominion

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Anaconda

Worlds of Fun

Thunderhawk

Those are the only Cedar Fair parks Ive been to, but that's quite a lot of water shut off in the last two years. Though, based on their finances, can you blame them?