Adventure Express Lift hill

israel09

Why did they remove the smoke in Backlot.

They certainly didn't release a press-release about it or anything, but one can assume that it was due to budgetary concerns. After all, they've shut off (or not turned back on) the water effects on four rides at Kings Island (Top Gun, The Crypt, Adventure Express, and Italian Job). The Backlot one is more understandable - have you seen the track in the former splashdown? And the water barely even contacted the actual track, so just imagine having fog sprayed on a piece of track once every 45 seconds or so.. The Tomb Raider / Crypt water effects are also understandable - the ride barely runs, and I'm sure they got sick of draining it every day to put up ladders to get to the ride.

Guest TombraiderTy

Similar to how Six Flags has "rebranded" several rides in the past few years (X to X2, Medusa and Superman to Bizarro, etc.) and how Disney continually "pluses" their attractions, I wouldn't mind seeing Adventure Express get some attention. Some things could be simple, such as adding expedition-type themeing to the station (hanging backpacks, sleeping bags, lanterns, tools, etc. from the rafters, etc.), while others could be more complex, such as new lighting and effects on the final lift-hill. Just a couple possibilities.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing Adventure Express get some attention. Some things could be simple, such as adding expedition-type themeing to the station (hanging backpacks, sleeping bags, lanterns, tools, etc. from the rafters, etc.), while others could be more complex, such as new lighting and effects on the final lift-hill. Just a couple possibilities.

*Flashback to the news headlines* Universal Eyes Paramount Parks

*Flash forward to Adventure Express indeed containing what you've listed above, Tomb Raider fully functioning, Italian Job bigger and better than ever in the effect department, costumed employees... Ahhhhh... If only.*

• Like 1

And AE could not be painted with higher quality paint?

It's more than just the paint, it's the very way that the track is made. Do you think Diamondback's splashdown will look ANYTHING like Italian Job's in the next three years? Undoubtedly, no. It's the fabrication of the track that's important, more than the paint. But that aside, no, I don't think we'll ever see a "plussing" of Adventure Express. Why? Because to my knowledge, Cedar Fair's never gone out of their way to re-evaluate a steel coaster. Not even in track. So Cedar Fair deciding suddenly to not only revisit the track of an early 90's coaster, but to repeal their vendetta on themeing with it... I don't think it would ever happen.

And while Adventure Express is a fun ride, should Cedar Fair ever decide that theme in general isn't the spawn of all evil, I have other places I'd love to see that new found creativity channeled to. In a sort of off-topic way, that's really one of the main reasons I'm upset about the Planet Snoopy thing. I haven't got a problem with Snoopy, and Nick Universe was admittedly getting dated, but with three attractions (arguably four) literally begging for ANY sort of attention management is willing to sacrifice (see, Flight Deck, The Crypt, Son of Beast, Adventure Express), I don't think that our only capitol expenditure this season out to be in redoing a children's area that's already proven successful. Yes, Nick has to go, but it still is just an aspect of Cedar Fair's management I'm displeased with - our park has four rides that need desperate help, some of our sister parks have far more.. And yet, they're likely going to be left limping through the 2010 season so we can welcome Snoopy.

To me, that isn't the way to incentivise investors or visitors, who are not as naive as Cedar Fair HQ would like to think - the general public DOES realize Scooby is leaving, The Crypt is falling apart, Son of Beast is in shambles, Flight Deck is gray and light gray (with accents of dark gray), and Adventure Express is a severely saddened version of its former self. You can't simply brush these aspects of the park under the rug, when four rides that are less than ten years old are on the chopping block or already gone (Scooby Doo, The Crypt, Son of Beast), while even newer rides are severely neglected (Italian Job, Adventure Express, Flight Deck).

Just my thoughts.

...I haven't got a problem with Snoopy, and Nick Universe was admittedly getting dated, but with three attractions (arguably four) literally begging for ANY sort of attention management is willing to sacrifice (see, Flight Deck, The Crypt, Son of Beast, Adventure Express), I don't think that our only capitol expenditure this season out to be in redoing a children's area...

Also, I think BLSC is in desperate need of some TLC. No, it may not be as bad as Flight Deck, but it is still really rusted in places and needs some paint.

...to me, that isn't the way to incentivise investors or visitors, who are not as naive as Cedar Fair HQ would like to think - the general public DOES realize Scooby is leaving, The Crypt is falling apart, Son of Beast is in shambles, Flight Deck is gray and light gray (with accents of dark gray), and Adventure Express is a severely saddened version of its former self. You can't simply brush these aspects of the park under the rug...

Just my thoughts.

See thats where your wrong. Sure a slim margin of park goers might realize some of those cosmetic issues(minus SOB) but in the end, they don't care and will still ride the ride. So where is Cedar Fairs return on investment on spending millions of dollars in cosmetic issues when, like I said, the general public could care less.

• Like 1

I believe you mean the general public couldN'T care less, as if they could care less, then they do care some!

I also to some extent disagree with you. The public may not even know why they feel the way they do, but little things do matter and together accumulate to give an overall impression. That all being said, the general state of Coney Mall, with the relative paucity of rides, the run-down areas, even the state of the Action Theater, and the sadness of the area that once was the Paramount Story (now Tower Gardens)...I believe all this outweighs for most of the public the paint or lack thereof on coasters.

I'd also point out that the condition of the paint on Racer is much more apparent to most of the public, and that the ride does not look good. The next time you are at the park (unless Cedar Fair surprises us all and paints Racer), look at it as a first time visitor would. It is beginning to look more and more like Rolling Thunder at Six Flags Great Adventure...cracked paint, peeling paint, areas of no paint...and that is not a good thing.

^

Another thing that would draw The Racer more attention, they should put some sort of laser pointer at the end, so whoever wins the race can be displayed to the riders. More like a video game, so the coaster would become more popular for teens.

In order to effectively use that, they'd have to run both sides. At least on my visits, seeing both sides running (much less racing) is the exception, not the rule. ;)

• Like 1

^

Another thing that would draw The Racer more attention, they should put some sort of laser pointer at the end, so whoever wins the race can be displayed to the riders. More like a video game, so the coaster would become more popular for teens.

In order to effectively use that, they'd have to run both sides. At least on my visits, seeing both sides running (much less racing) is the exception, not the rule. ;)

...and, a fancy laser lightshow would detract from the "nostalgia" associated with The Racer. (I'm being both sarcastic and serious at the same time ;) )

• Like 1

The fog used on the ride originally was a water mist system (similar to the unit used on WTRA). It was removed due to excessive rust to the car undercarriage.

Nothing a little paint can't fix.

ummm..... paint can't fix holes in the floorboards, and parts rusting off.... rust is a lot different than chipped paint... you've obviously never owned/ridden in an old car that your uncle runs the heck out of or its the only thing a college kid can afford, where you can watch the road go by on the floor cuz it literally rusted a hole in the metal paint can't stick to nothing thats there ;)

I had a chance to talk with the operations director of Rivertown, who was quick to let me know that (and I quote) "Paramount made a lot of rides interact with water without thinking of the long-term effects," specifically referencing Adventure Express, Tomb Raider, and the Italian Job by name. So, don't hold your breath looking for fog to return to any of those rides. Really. Especially with Cedar Fair. Paramount had naivete to its negative impact, and had a budget and specialty for it. Cedar Fair has neither.

pssstt.... most of the fogger's don't use water... there are "steam" foggers and then there's the "fog juice" foggers which uses its own special solution thats not water... so its possible

On the subject of water/mist/fog/whatever affecting roller coasters, take a look at what continuous mist has done to the Incredible Hulk roller coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure:

img1704w.jpg

I don't think it will be affected too much since the track doesn't actually sit in the water.

Looks at picture above :blink: hmmm.... don't think that one sits in the water either....

• Like 1

pssstt.... most of the fogger's don't use water... there are "steam" foggers and then there's the "fog juice" foggers which uses its own special solution thats not water... so its possible

On the subject of water/mist/fog/whatever

img1704w.jpg

I don't think it will be affected too much since the track doesn't actually sit in the water.

Looks at picture above :blink: hmmm.... don't think that one sits in the water either....

Right, it sits in "fog." ;)

First there ought to be some distinctions: The fog used in many rides is in fact a "fog juice," as you said. It's typically transparent red and can be bought by the gallon. However, rides can easily draw from a source of water (SheiKra, Hulk, above) use pressurized water the same you see sort of "hanging" over the water at Kings Dominion's Crypt. It's a mist (sort of a powered-up version of the Coke Oasis, visually), and even appears to the naked eye much less thick and less cloud-forming than fog. It would be silly to constantly be refilling fog machines when there's water all around the track. It's on rides that use mist that the camera gets water droplets on POV videos (again, see Hulk's tunnel, SheiKra's second drop, etc) Steam by its very nature is hot enough to catch paper on fire, so I don't think people are rocketing through steam on any rides.

Adventure Express was likely fog, yes. I'm no chemist, but consistently having ANY sort of gaseous substance (that almost inevitably condenses after years of use) will likely whittle away at the track and cars. But that aside, the lack of effects on Adventure Express can likely be chalked up to 1) the actual tactile water effects used on the lift hill WERE damaging the track, and 2) Cedar Fair doesn't do special effects.

Most commercially used fog solutions are water based. Just sayin'

Most "steam effects" I know of use pressure to vaporize the water, not heat. We have them in several of our parks in Fort Wayne and none of the water vapor is hot. It's really just like a vaporizer you use when you've got a sinus infection or asthma.

As for the "damage to Hulk" so what if the paint looks bad, as long as there is no rusting of the steal there will be no problem. Aside from negative perceptions from parkgoers.

• Like 1

I don't think Busch Gardens or Cedar Fair would put splashdown effects on Griffon and Diamondack if it would rust the track faster than if they weren't on those rides. But you never know how it may be affected.

For what it's worth, Griffon's splash columns actually strike the track overhead (which you can view in

) at full speed. Diamondback's splash simply rains down on the final ascent before the brake run. So there are multiple guesses we can make from this. Among them, that the water has very little effect on the track condition. Another, that the water does have a large effect, but Busch has been taking care to repaint / care for Griffon's track. If it's the second situation, we can only hope that in future years, Diamondback's will be given the same care to keep the water's effects from being seen.

And AE could not be painted with higher quality paint?

To me, that isn't the way to incentivise investors or visitors, who are not as naive as Cedar Fair HQ would like to think - the general public DOES realize Scooby is leaving, The Crypt is falling apart, Son of Beast is in shambles, Flight Deck is gray and light gray (with accents of dark gray), and Adventure Express is a severely saddened version of its former self. You can't simply brush these aspects of the park under the rug, when four rides that are less than ten years old are on the chopping block or already gone (Scooby Doo, The Crypt, Son of Beast), while even newer rides are severely neglected (Italian Job, Adventure Express, Flight Deck).

Just my thoughts.

Since when are Adventure Express and Flight Deck newer than The Crypt and even Son of Beast. Adventure Express being opened on April 13th 1991 and Flight Deck (Then known as Top Gun) being opened on April 9th 1993. I think you got your post a little backwards.

• Like 1

Ummm, after changing out the fog juice at KI (big 55 gallon drums) numerous times, I can tell you it wasn't red...

The fog effects on both AE and Flight Deck were in fact fog driven, not steam driven. The pipes were removed due to non-use (from what I could gather, the juice was expensive...)

• Like 1

Ummm, after changing out the fog juice at KI (big 55 gallon drums) numerous times, I can tell you it wasn't red...

The fog effects on both AE and Flight Deck were in fact fog driven, not steam driven. The pipes were removed due to non-use (from what I could gather, the juice was expensive...)

I think that was cleared up when someone pointed out that many commercial fogs are in fact water-based. No reason to get testy. ;) Hahaha. And Jasper, yes I clearly wrote that down wrong. I don't think anyone who visits the park, much less is a great fan of it, would look at Flight Deck and think it could possibly be newer than The Crypt. Hahha. But then again, in their current states...

I don't understand why stainless steel is not used on coaster tracks... It doesn't rust. (as easily)

Have you seen the price of stainless steel. Nuff said.

In addition stainless steel is much more difficult to work with, in terms of its ease of machining, welding, and forming. Not to mention, short of anodizing it, it would not be an easy task to paint it. Don't get me wrong, it is possible to paint stainless steel but it takes a whole lot more work than carbon steel. (however I think an anodized stainless steel coaster would look pretty cool no matter what color)

Also the "fog juices" are all glycol based. Glycol does not have corrosive properties towards mild steels, such as what are used on coasters. The most corrosive or rust causing fog is going to be good old water vapor. It happens because the oxygen in the water expedites the oxidation process.

• Like 1