Mason: No Admissions Tax.... For Now

Dozens of Mason citizens, business leaders and concerned out-of-towners were on hand to speak out against the proposed 3% admissions tax and 5% parking tax suggested by Councilman Tony Bradburn.

Monologues by the masses included a very heartfelt address by the mother of a leukemia victim whose child benefited from Kings Island's ticket donations to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Charitable donations are just one of the cuts that may have to be made if this tax passes, according to senior officials at Kings Island.

Other speakers included members of the marketing team at Kings Island, the general manager of the Great Wolf Lodge, representatives from The Beach Waterpark, the Warren County Visitors Bearu and many more -- all of which expressed their concerns with the economic impact that this tax would have on the area.

After hearing dozens of testimonies against the tax -- and two in favor of the tax, Councilman David Nichols suggested that the matter be tabled until the February 8th, 2010 meeting.

So now it's time for round 2:

February 8th, 2010 7:00EST

6000 Mason-Montgomery Rd

Mason, OH 45040

We would like to thank all that participated in the protest as well as everyone who attended the meeting. You did Kings Island, The Beach, the City of Mason and many local businesses a big favor. Thank you.

Do you want the latest information sent directly to your cell phone? Sign up for KICentral's official mobile club and receive text alerts with the latest news and information about Kings Island! Signing up is fast and free! Click here for more information about KICentral's official mobile club!

Are you an avid Kings Island fan or do you casually visit once a year? It doesn't matter! KICentral.com is the site for you. Why not register on the forums of KICentral and tell us about your thoughts and experiences involving Kings Island! Registration is fast, FREE, and easy. Don't forget to keep checking KICentral.com for the latest news, rumors and information about Kings Island amusement park!

It was all very well executed on the part of city council. What I found interesting is several members of the community opposed to the tax kept asking exactly what the money is going to be used for-and not a one could give a straight answer. The city manager stated since the vote was not yet decided, the money had not been allocated for a specific fund. Excuse me, this reeks. When we discussed the issue with Mr Bradburn outside, he could not give a specific answer to that question either. He floundered looking for support from the lone Mason resident in the group, myself. I had nothing to say until I heard all the facts, and kept quiet then as well. I also noticed Mr. Bradburn looked at the floor the duration of the meeting. Someone who cannot make eye contact has something to hide...

I will be going back Feb. 8th.

The city manager stated since the vote was not yet decided, the money had not been allocated for a specific fund.

That's like calling the fire department, and when the dispatcher asks what the emergency is, the caller says "Well, we haven't decided on whether there's a fire, or whether a cat's stuck up in a tree... but we need the fire engines here right away!"

:rolleyes:Politicians...

Yes -- it's going to be VERY important that we're there on Feb 8th.

3 dozen-or so-came and spoke against the tax... and two in favor. You know what Tax Man is going to do, right? He's going to spend the next two months finding everyone he can to speak in favor of it and try to stump the opposition on the night of the vote.

Don't worry, I fully intend to "bully" Mr. Bradburn again this February.

News 9 talks with Ryan :)

this is what got me

When Kings Island and the Beach Water Park are operating, the city also incurs more calls for service for police and fire services. The taxes are meant to offset those expenses.

Ummm... HELLO!?!? Don't most places have more fire/police calls in the SUMMER?!?! *facepalms* who are these genius's?!

Nice seeing you all again.... Well, on TV.....

I will be there on Feb 8th. I had to go to a class (missed the first day of class, and if I would have missed another I would have gotten an F for the year....)

I am of the opinion that on Feb 8th, everyone who doesn't have anything else going on needs to be there. Imagine, if you will, instead of a "handful" (as the media put it) of protesters outside, they state hundreds with signs.

Here's something that I'm surprised that no one's posted about. We actually had an an encounter with Tony Bradburn before the meeting during the protest. He introduced himself and gasped the following lies (verbatim):

CouncilBios_Bradburn.jpg

Lie: "If you're going to protest anybody, why not protest Kings Island for their $4.99 Chic-Fil-A Sandwiches?"

Truth: Chic-Fil-A is not owned by Kings Island, nor is the location within Kings Island. It sets its own prices. Protesting Kings Island for Chic-Fil-A's prices is like protesting the Tri-County Mall because you don't like Macy's prices. Yet another indication that Bradburn has no idea what he's talking about.

As he was walking into the building, he yelled to us:

Lie: "All I want are my interchanges!"

Truth: The money is NOT going for interchanges. Someone asked where the money was going to go and council had no answer. However, in several news articles linked to by the Kings Island Newsletter, it is stated that Bradburn is pushing for these taxes for road improvements -- specifically the interchanges at Western Row and Kings Mill Road. HOWEVER, in the 2006 Mason State of the City Report, it states the following:

Mason will also start a justification study this year for a full interchange at I-71 and Western Row Road. We will be working with the Warren County Engineer on this study, which will include the Kings Mills exit. Construction is still a number of years out. City Council saw the merits of a full interchange at this location and established a TIF (Tax Increment Financing district) a few years ago in order to earmark funds to go towards this interchange.

Widening Western Row Road is also expected to begin in the near future. We estimate that it will cost $5.2 million to widen the road from Mason Christian Village to Tylersville Road in front of Luxottica. It will be four lanes and include a sidewalk and bike path. We are waiting until the Socialville-Fosters Road project is done to minimize traffic tie-ups.

Angry yet? You should be. You have been lied to. He says the money is going towards road improvements, but that money is already there. He wants your money. What for? You tell me...

Now on to Mayor Grossmann...

CouncilBios_Grossmann.jpg

Does anyone else think that he was a little quick to defend Bradburn and his actions? Do you think he has more of an association than we think? Do you think that maybe he's trying to progress in his political career but doesn't want to be known for an advocacy of higher taxes and a reckless abandonment of local businesses? You tell me...

Now on to Councilwoman Christine Shimrock...

CouncilBios_Shimrock.jpg

Councilwoman Shimrock came up and thanked us for coming to the meeting and staging the protest. She didn't say specifically if she was for or against the tax, however she is forced to abstain from voting because she sits on the board for a majority charity that will suffer if Bradburn's tax is passed. She's as sharp as they get and would get my vote if I lived in Mason.

Did he really think I was gonna support this because I live in Mason? I didn't really appreciate his attack outside the building. My thought is....if the council votes this in, I will not be buying a condo in mason like I originally planned, since the city leaders don't have any integrity to keep their end of the agreement.

Western row needs improvement? Bull****. That will just create a two year (or longer) construction headache. Even after the Knievel jump, where I believe we had record attendance, I had no trouble leaving the park. Patience.....

From the looks of his house, Mr. Bradburn has more than his share of the pie :angry:

$1.7 Million in free tickets to the kids and family of A Kid Again...kudos to you Kings Island-I had no idea.

I just found this my source is from www.cincinnati.com!

Mason Council's Slick Maneuver

How about that. One day after not being returned to council by the voters, Mike Gilb resigns his current seat and is immediately re-appointed by council to fill the seat vacated by Pete.

And about Tony's comments about the Reds and Bengals tax, now I haven't checked but didn't Hamilton County residents vote to build the stadiums and didn't Hamilton County PAY to build them!

I'm not finished yet...

CouncilBios_Prince.jpg

Vice Mayor Don Prince in his "Political Philosophy" section of his official web site states:

All taxpayers in this nation are over-taxed. When considering federal, state, and local income tax, social security tax, medicare tax, real estate taxes, personal property tax, licensing and registration fees of all sorts, it becomes clear that we are over-taxed. Government needs to listen to the taxpayer more and to the bureaucracy less. Taking of one’s wealth is taking a measure of their freedom.

If he votes in favor of this tax then we know how his words are inconsistent with his actions.

...Lie: "All I want are my interchanges!"

Truth: The money is NOT going for interchanges. Someone asked where the money was going to go and council had no answer. However, in several news articles linked to by the Kings Island Newsletter, it is stated that Bradburn is pushing for these taxes for road improvements -- specifically the interchanges at Western Row and Kings Mill Road. HOWEVER, in the 2006 Mason State of the City Report, it states the following:

Mason will also start a justification study this year for a full interchange at I-71 and Western Row Road. We will be working with the Warren County Engineer on this study, which will include the Kings Mills exit. Construction is still a number of years out. City Council saw the merits of a full interchange at this location and established a TIF (Tax Increment Financing district) a few years ago in order to earmark funds to go towards this interchange.

Widening Western Row Road is also expected to begin in the near future. We estimate that it will cost $5.2 million to widen the road from Mason Christian Village to Tylersville Road in front of Luxottica. It will be four lanes and include a sidewalk and bike path. We are waiting until the Socialville-Fosters Road project is done to minimize traffic tie-ups.

Angry yet? You should be. You have been lied to. He says the money is going towards road improvements, but that money is already there. He wants your money. What for? You tell me...

Not only is the money there from previous taxes, but part of the work is being paid for by the Federal Governement. There is a big green sign just past the intersection at Western Row on Kings Mills Drive about money being from a Rebuilding and Reconstruction Act (or something). There is also a sign on Reed Hartman Highway in Blue Ash and on Cornell Road by Sycamore High School where the same Act paid for some or all of the roadwork. When someone is by KI, look at the sign.