Mason: No Admissions Tax.... For Now

I came across this wile I was randomly looking at pics from google.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/articles/2...2b699935055.txt

"John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of the amusement park, said Monday that Cedar Point will support a 0.25 percent increase in the admissions tax next year if city residents approve a 0.25 percent income-tax hike this November."

Mason did not ask for the city residents' input. They merely held a council meeting and everyone spoke their mind about how they feel the tax will negatively and/or positively impact the economy and local businesses, etc. I still do not know whether the vote will be up to the council or if it will be up to the city residents.

Mason is IMPOSING a 3% admissions and 5% parking tax on its residents. Cedar Point is allowing city residents to vote on a 0.25% admissions tax. There is a big difference.

Uh....actually, Cedar Point said it would support an increase in the admissions tax if city voters supported an increase in the city income tax. Mason residents could completely avoid the proposed admissions tax merely by not going to places that must charge it. In order for Sandusky residents to avoid the then proposed increase, they would have not only had to not go to places that charged the admissions tax increase (there already is an admissions tax in Sandusky), but also not earn an income...(there already is a city income tax according to the article).

I have a lot to say and will between now and the next meeting. Sorry I have not responded with my thoughts right after the meeting but sometimes I need to collect my thoughts and rerun the different scenarios through. I am going to type up a rebuttal to many of the loose facts that are floating around especially the ones that jump out at me as disingenuous and misleading. The Council seems to be very sensitive to bad headlines and even more worried about their "Business Friendly Community" image. So many business groups voiced their opposition to this type of tax and not one business or group was in support of it. But still the council made sure they put it out there that they are still business friendly, I do not think they would put that statement out there if they were not afraid of that image. I think it would be wise to keep putting it out to the community that not one business or business group supports this measure and that the council can say it but their actions say otherwise according to the local business and business groups.

Geez just what we need is more tax hikes on everything what do they want us to do pay like we are going to Disneyland,Epcot...

I hope we can keep this topic on topic and I think it is helpful to see how other communities have dealt with these issues but can we please put these examples in proper comparisons and not just name drop an area or a park with no information regarding the issue. Florida residents do not pay any income tax like most other states do but rather they use property or a sales tax to collect revenue to run the majority of government programs. Disney World created Reedy Creek Improvement District ( http://www.rcid.org/AboutUS_main.cfm ) to manage their property as to its public safety issues, roads, sewers and and building permits( normal government type stuff). There is minimal residency in the Disney World property so sales Tax is by in large the only revenue the Reedy Creek area has to cover their cost. I just point this out just so that we all try to make sure we are comparing apples to apples and not Disney World to Mason Ohio with out proper understanding.

haustguy1983 when I read your comment I was afraid that some could read it as you were saying that Disney does it so why not Mason, I do not think that is what you are saying, because after reading it a second time it almost sounds like you are saying Mason wants to tax Guests of Kings Island like Disney does but not for the same reasons but to justify it that way.

So, some in Mason want an admissions tax. While the city itself owns, operates and loses money on a competing attraction...a $9 million golf course, presumably paid for with government funds:

...Mason paid $9 million in 2006 to buy the Golf Center at Kings Island, which was in danger of slowly being sold off for high-density residential development. City leaders argued, at the time, more condos and cheaper homes would burden the school district and city.

Last year, Mason paid $1.5 million to cover operating, capital and debt. The course is expected to cost the city a similar amount this year, according to city records....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton...owComments=true

And the town at the time did not want more condos and cheaper homes. Can't have people like that living in Mason, no sirree...might burden the school district and city. Far better that Mason own and operate a golf course.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm...."

• 3 months later...

And now, it's Toledo considering it:

...The city council in Mason, Ohio - the home of the Kings Island theme park - recently voted against a ticket tax, even though the proposed ordinance exempted nonprofit groups. Promoters tell us that if Toledo enacts the tax, they'll move their shows elsewhere. Do the math: Tourism in Lucas County generates $1.6 billion a year in sales. It accounts for $421 million in wages, $208 million in taxes, and 19,000 jobs.

With your hard-earned dollars, you create "economic impact." These dollars employ your family and friends. Think of all the ways that happens: You hire a baby-sitter, buy gasoline, grab a bite to eat, get some souvenirs for the kids....

http://toledoblade.c...0316/-1/OPINION

Blah. I did my campaigning for the Mason vote. Toledo is on their own. :wacko: It is really disappointing that some communities can't appreciate and understand what their assets are and how to maintain them. Hopefully the residents make as much of a fuss as we did.