Coney Island- Dreaming of Flats?

Coney Islander

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have tons of flats, but cheap ones you can ride for a ticket at the fair.

I would dream of them getting a whole new expansion of rides, maybe a wooden coaster. Do they even have enough money to build one simple coaster? Python isn't good enough!

Sorry, I know, this is supposed to be about flat rides......

Considering how the attendance was last year, Coney Island, (Who I presume is still under the management of Taft Broadcasting Company?), very well could save up enough money for a wooden coaster in a matter of 10 years.

But, even if Coney Island were to save up this kind of money, I would not consider a coaster in Coney's (near) future. Reasons-

1. I really wouldn't expect a coaster to very well boost Coney's attendance. If people want coasters, they go to Kings Island.

2. Coasters are VERY expensive, and any problem with that coaster would be hard to fix.

3. Riverbend and River Downs are too close. Coasters are too loud.

4. Building a coaster would mean removing some of the much needed company picnic space.

5. Coney can buy inexpensive rides from neighboring defunct parks, and with Kentucky Kingdom's recent removals, I wouldn't be surprised if Coney were to acquire some of Kentucky Kingdom's newer, "major" flat rides.

Uh, Taft Broadcasting no longer exists. It has no connection with Coney Island of Ohio, which is owned by Brenda Walker, widow of Ronald Walker, who bought Coney Island of Ohio in 1991 from Great American Financial Corporation, a company that Carl Lindner controlled (and that had bought Taft in 1987) for $3.8 million. Vic Nolting has been the general manager of Coney Island since 1984.

Thanks for the quick reply! I really should stop trusting wikipedia...

Yes. Instead, you should check out Coney Island Central. I have a ton of historical information on that site, including how the transition occurred that resulted in Taft originally buying Coney, and their decision to keep Sunlite Pool open, even after they built Kings Island.

And yes, Vic Notling is the president/general manager of Coney.

From all indications I got, attendance was soft at Coney this year. Which is somewhat to be expected since 2008 was a great year for the park. The thing that I think hurt Coney the most, as has hurt most other amusement parks, is the slump in group sales from businesses cutting back.

Yes, the Pepsi Python does have to close early for some concerts at PNC Pavilion. There is still some room for expansion of rides at Coney that doesn`t involve encroaching on the picnic grove or removing existing rides.

The land I speak of is the land that is used for the Balloon Glows every July 3rd. Behind Dodgems, Famous Fairways, and the Giant Slide. Between Riverbend and the picnic grove.

The land between Kellogg Avenue and Lake Como is often used for overflow parking for Riverbend concerts. Not to mention that it is located rather far away from the main area of the park.

Cedar Fair would not take such a small park, even though they could make it bigger. It would probably look bad on the company, owning that tiny little park - which is too near to Kings Island.

If you had a platinum pass, wouldn't you rather go to Kings Island than Coney Island if you were traveling to Cincinnati for the weekend? I would.

Its coincidental we are discussing if Cedar Fair owned Coney Island (which would be horrible); earlier today I was wondering about the possibility that Palace Entertainment could buy Coney. Palace Entertainment has done wonders for Kennywood (restoring old rides, replacing dark rides with new dark rides, regularly making additions to the park, etc.)

Would it be plausible for Palace Entertainment to buy Coney? Not that the current management is doing a good job, (they're doing a GREAT job by my books...) but a larger company would be able to make larger additions to Coney... and Palace Entertainment loves dark rides.

A couple of things.

First of all, admission to Coney in 2009 was relatively cheap compared to KI. ($21.95 for pool and rides for one day, or $11.95 for just the pool or just the rides). And since Coney is not owned by Cedar Fair (thank god), then why should you be able to use your Platinum Pass at Coney? Not to mention that Coney is set up slightly different than KI in the fact that guests are able to walk around the dry side of the park WITHOUT paying an admission fee. A fee is only charged if guests want to enter the Sunlite Pool area, or if they wish to ride the rides. (Granted, there is a general admission fee for such events as the Appalachian Festival and Fall-O-Ween, when season passes to Coney are NOT valid).

Coney is a small park, and the management takes pride in keeping a clean park with great customer service. If another company bought Coney would this attention to detail be maintained? Who knows. I know that it is not uncommon to see the president of the park out and about sweeping up trash and talking with guests.

but a larger company would be able to make larger additions to Coney.

So you don`t call the multi-million Twister addition at Sunlite Pool a major addition last year? The attraction was a success. While it may not be a coaster or a dark ride, it still was a marketable addition for the park. Will Coney see any additions next year? I doubt it considering they did just invest so much money in the park in 2009 (the same reason why KI likely won`t see a new attraction next year save for the rebranding of Nick Universe).

Even if another company did buy Coney (which I don`t see happening anytime in the near future), just because that company may have deeper pockets does not mean they would install larger attractions. They would have to be able to get a return on their investment. And Coney can`t really compete directly with Kings Island because Coney is limited by available land, and the persistent problem it has faced since its inception: Ohio River flooding.

Hopefully some of that makes some sense.

Its coincidental we are discussing if Cedar Fair owned Coney Island (which would be horrible); earlier today I was wondering about the possibility that Palace Entertainment could buy Coney. Palace Entertainment has done wonders for Kennywood (restoring old rides, replacing dark rides with new dark rides, regularly making additions to the park, etc.)

Would it be plausible for Palace Entertainment to buy Coney? Not that the current management is doing a good job, (they're doing a GREAT job by my books...) but a larger company would be able to make larger additions to Coney... and Palace Entertainment loves dark rides.

Palace Entertainment? That's actually Parques Reunidos. And there is much more to the story of what they have done to Kennywood than just ride installations. For one thing, they are introducing season passes at Kennywood, which may not at all be a good thing. For another, many long time upper management employees were let go this season. Next year's operations will show the wisdom of that, or lack thereof. Among those let go was the long time and wonderful public relations/marketing person.

If installing new rides is the measure of wonderful park management, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure is the best park ever and Six Flags as managed and run by Gary Story was the best run park company ever.

A response to Coasters RZ-

Now that I think about it, much of my above statement was based entirely on the fact that Coney doesn't have a dark ride. And also, now that I think about it, a dark ride would get devastated in case of a major flood... Reflecting on the current management, Coney's rides are well maintained, and painted enough, the flowering plants and old growth trees are beautiful, and Coney regularly receives additions to the rides section. (which I highly doubt does much in terms of attendance)

Thank God Coney has the great management it has! Coney's owner and Vic Nolting really care about Coney, and don't base the progress of the park on the profit it makes. (Cedar Fair...)

Edit-

And a response to The Interpreter-

I worded that last post poorly...

When I said "additions" I meant more of fountains, scenery, and improvements in atmosphere of the park, than of new rides. I truly wish parks were still like the old days, and rides were just a part of the overall Amusement Park experience, but those parks have passed on... (with a few noble exceptons, of course.)

Just because the Ohio River floods, does not mean that there can`t be dark rides. In fact, Coney had several dark rides in its heyday. For example, in 1966 the Spook dark ride replaced The Bat Cave dark ride. As with a lot of things at Sunlite Pool, things get moved to higher ground, tied down or stored on trailers in case of a flood (I helped winterize Sunlite Pool this year, so I know that a LOT of very heavy things get moved to trailers). Same thing would happen with the old dark rides that used to reside at Coney.

The subject of rides being painted at Coney is rather funny. Helicopters, which is located right in front of the administration building has been painted SEVERAL times since I started working at Coney in 2002. In 2002 it was painted blue and purple when it was moved from its former location (now the home of the Eurobungee Dome). Then several years back they were repainted yellow, purple and orange. This past year, Trabant received some fresh paint. One ride that has NOT been painted since I`ve worked at Coney is the ride I most liked to run, the Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel.

And yes, the rides at Coney are not a huge source of attendance or revenue. They are there strictly to complement the pool, drive season pass sales and lure group sales to Coney. Sunlite Pool is the main revenue generator, with group sales also being a prime factor.

And I would disagree with your last statement about not basing the progress of the park on the profit it makes. There were numerous times this past year where the park tried to conserve costs. Look at the several days when Coney closed early or didn`t even open at all because of the weather, even if it had cleared up in early afternoon. Or the fact that the rides were only open until 8pm Monday through Thursday this summer to save on labor costs. (Or the fact that Bumper Boats weren`t opened until 4pm Monday through Thursday).

Coney is a business just like every other amusement park. They base their investments and operating procedures on projections and what they think is necessary to generate revenue and profits. As with any business, watching out for the bottom line is essential. Because if Coney did not care about profits, there would be no Coney to visit anymore, a la Geauga Lake up north!

Blazing Fury was produced in house by the then owner of what was then Silver Dollar City, now Dollywood. The trains were even built in house. As such, it is not available for purchase on the usual amusement park ride market. It's cost to reproduce cannot easily be estimated, but would most probably be far more than you'd likely think.

Know that rcdb.com does call Blazing Fury a coaster and says it has three sections where it coasts. The park's ride and maintenance crews do not necessarily agree with this (some have, some have not).

http://www.rcdb.com/501.htm