What 3D Movie Should Replace Spongebob?

bkroz

Guest rcfreak339

^^No it does not. The simple fix for Action Theater is to change the movie....That movie could last about 2-3 seasons before it starts to just get annoying. Most parks Iv'e visited that have these "Action Theaters" change the movie roughly every 2 seasons.

beastland.jpg

Wow, i did not know The Beast was that close, although they could build a midway in the availible space.wink.gif Kidding aside, I do like AT i just can"t get myself to see CF putting a great 3-D movie in there.

Saying none of us expect it to be open in 2010, how about Cedar Fair hires Iwerks to program the movement of the seats to a POV of Son of Beast? laugh.gif

NOW that is funny....smile.gif

OR start with The Beast and go right into and end with the Son of Beast.

Dont you think the motion seats would completely wear out after the first few days?tongue.gif

• Like 1

I remember they had an alien movie there. The only part I remember was the alien was on the vehicle, it stopped really quick and the alien hit the wall and slid down the wall leaving a green blood. It was pretty cool. I have no idea what it was called.

I've always thought that AT was a nice, relaxing, air-conditioned getaway-if they would just operate it correctly. I don't even really care what's being shown (Days of Thunder was really neat when it was new, though). I sat through Spongebob without any 3d glasses last season.

I've always thought that AT was a nice, relaxing, air-conditioned getaway-if they would just operate it correctly. I don't even really care what's being shown (Days of Thunder was really neat when it was new, though). I sat through Spongebob without any 3d glasses last season.

Last season, I once sat through Spongebob 3D. With no motion. Or 3D. The sound cut out a few times, too. Unfortunately, this was when I went to the park with some extended family. On the same visit, The Beast, Vortex, FoF were down for extended periods of time, and SoB had just closed. It's no wonder they think KI can't maintain rides! :D

• Like 1

At Kings Island? I don`t remember any alien based movie in the Action Theater at KI, besides 7th Portal.

Part of the issue with KI`s theater, is that they never upgraded it to a 4D experience like other parks did. Heck, even the Cincinnati Zoo has a 4d theater (and has played Spongebob 4d). The theater was built in 1994, and so technology has progressed incredibly in that time frame. I do agree that Spongebob was kept too long in the theater (and there was a stretch this summer when it wasn`t even in 3d).

Part of the problem for the theater at KI is its placement. It is a far way down a dead end midway. The Action Theaters at Kings Dominion and Carowinds are located closer to the main midways where there is more foot traffic. And with the north side of Coney Mall by the theater being devoid of attractions, save for the sometimes open EuroBungy, there is nothing that generates a lot of foot traffic back to the theater, besides the popularity of the movie itself.

Personally, I think it would be sad if it didn`t open in 2010. But I really wouldn`t miss it. I don`t even know if I rode Spongebob last year or not. I just had no desire to.

• Like 1

Thats one good reason for Kings Island to add a bunch of family rides in that area... Some old flats like a Tilt-a-Whirl, Bayern Curve, Ferris Wheel, and Giant Slide would not only fit perfectly in the Coney Mall area, but would make Kings Island a true family park once again... I know a few families that no longer go to Kings Island because they can not experience the park with their children. Last year, many of the Nick Universe rides that were previously for all ages had height requirements.

Another idea I have is putting a Country Bear Jamboree styled attraction in the defunct side of Action Theater. Would that be in the price range for a seasonal park like Kings Island?

• Like 1

Another idea I have is putting a Country Bear Jamboree styled attraction in the defunct side of Action Theater. Would that be in the price range for a seasonal park like Kings Island?

Too much money. In all probability, it would cost too much. :(

And no, its not the cost of putting in the animatronics, it's the upkeep.

• Like 1

beastland.jpg

Wow, i did not know The Beast was that close, although they could build a midway in the availible space.wink.gif Kidding aside, I do like AT i just can"t get myself to see CF putting a great 3-D movie in there.

Saying none of us expect it to be open in 2010, how about Cedar Fair hires Iwerks to program the movement of the seats to a POV of Son of Beast? laugh.gif

NOW that is funny....smile.gif

OR start with The Beast and go right into and end with the Son of Beast.

Dont you think the motion seats would completely wear out after the first few days?tongue.gif

Well if the cars are from The Beast NO..But if you use the Son of Beast they would not wear out,but CF would have to talk with the lawyers first..:)

• Like 1

Last year, many of the Nick Universe rides that were previously for all ages had height requirements.

Oh really? Which ones? The only Nick U. rides that both parents and kids could ride were (all info below is from the 2008 and 2009 park maps):

Avatar - min height 44" in '08 and '09

Reptar - min height 44" in '08 and '09

Fairly Odd Coaster - min height 40" in '08 and '09

Phantom Flyers - min height 40" in '08 and '09

Plankton's Plunge - min height 36" in '08 and '09

Little Bill's Giggle Coaster - min height 36" in '08 and '09

Wild Thornberry's River Adventure - min height 36" in '08 and '09

Timmy's Air Tours - no min height, over 60" must be accompanied by child in '08 & '09

La Adventura de Azul - no min height, over 60" must be accompanied by child in '08 & '09

Nick-O-Round - no min height, over 60" must be accompanied by child in '08 & '09

Lazytown Sportacopters - no min height, adults can also ride unaccompanied by child in '08 & '09

Bikini Bottom Bash - no min height, adults can also walk through unaccompanied by child in '08 & '09

Parents could never ride: Backyardigan's Swing Along, Blue's Skidoo, Go Diego Go, Swiper's Sweepers, Nick Jr. Drivers, Jimmy Neutron's Atom Smasher. These have always had a maximum height.

Please tell me where you're getting this "many of the Nick Universe rides that were previously for all ages had height requirements". As a parent, I can say it's a lot of fun to watch your kid on rides that only they can ride. The smiles and the laughter on their faces are priceless.

I do agree that some more rides like the ones you listed would be a great addition to the park (that's one thing that makes parks like Coney so good for families), you just needed to check your facts about the Nick U rides. ;)

Yep. And even the kiddy rides at Coney have maximum height requirements which prevent parents from riding the rides with the kids. Airplanes, Helicopters, Racing Rockets, Turtle Parade and Boats and Trains all require that the riders be under 48" to ride. No adults permitted.

But as Gator stated, there are many rides at Coney in which parents can ride with their smaller children. Scrambler, Tilt A Whirl, Trabant, Giant Slide and Flying Bobs simply require guests under 48" be accompanied by an adult. Some rides like the Ferris Wheel and Scream Machine permit kids between 36" and 48" to ride with an adult.

I have not noticed any rides in Nick Universe having altered height requirements in recent years. That said, I do not spend a lot of time in Nick Universe/Planet Snoopy as I do not have kids.

Last year, I asked to ride Timmy's Airtours, and the ride op said the only children's rides that I did not exceed the height limit for were Fairly Odd Coaster, Wild Thornberry's, Avatar, Scooby Doo, and the middle seat on Plankton's Plunge.

5 out of the 18.

I was probably just remembering times when I was able to ride these rides. But I strongly, maybe vividly remember riding Timmy's Airtours.

• Like 1

Some old flats like a Tilt-a-Whirl, Bayern Curve, Ferris Wheel, and Giant Slide would fit perfectly in the Coney Mall area.

I agree completely. Does anybody remember that a building was removed before this last season near the entrance of AT (If I remember correctly.)? I'm HOPING a flat ride will go in that spot for the 2010 season. I LOVE tilt-a-whirls and don't mind Ferris wheels. Here's hoping that spot wasn't cleared JUST to reduce costs.

• Like 1

Some old flats like a Tilt-a-Whirl, Bayern Curve, Ferris Wheel, and Giant Slide would fit perfectly in the Coney Mall area.

I agree completely. Does anybody remember that a building was removed before this last season near the entrance of AT (If I remember correctly.)? I'm HOPING a flat ride will go in that spot for the 2010 season. I LOVE tilt-a-whirls and don't mind Ferris wheels. Here's hoping that spot wasn't cleared JUST to reduce costs.

"I agree completely." But I can't ride any flat ride that spins. Believe it or not, I can only ride (The?) Scrambler at most one time in a trip. I think I've only ridden it one or twice. I've ridden some carnival rides and one at Cedar Point and I liked them, but there are only a few that I can take.

• Like 1

There are always other options when riding flats. I can't ride most spinning flats either. I even get at least slightly dizzy after riding tilt-a-whirls (My second favorite flat ride.). There are flats that don't spin, though. This might be a little long, but I'm not sure what you like.

Ferris wheels and flying carpet rides rotate, space shots, turbo drops, and double shots all launch, slides stay still, Screamin' Swings swing (obviously), Intamin first gen drop rides drop, ride on their backs, and go backwards, etc. Then there are those that flip like Skyscraper, slingshots, and Rock-O-Planes and tame rides you can control like antique cars. It's my belief that there's a type of flat ride for everyone.

And then there are the rides like Coney has where you don`t whirl, twirl or flip. The Giant Slide does not involve any sort of spinning. Nor do the canoes and pedal boats (although your feet will go round and round if you are in the pedal boats). And by far the most intense ride at Coney can be the Rock o Planes, if you know how to really get them cars rocking. Just ask Gordon Bombay. He had the experience of riding with me in a car a few years ago. He had to take a nice long ride on a park bench after wards!

Don't forget the park benches! smile.gif Most excellent to people watch from!

Just like the one near Ninja at SFOG, right Terpy? Sorry, couldn't resist!

Robbie, I'm gonna have to take a ride on the Rock-O-Planes with you the next time I go to Coney if you're there. That's my favorite ride there and I've yet to really figure out how to get the cars REALLY flipping.

One more ride you can add to the list is railroads. They're my favorite type of tame ride. I fell in love with KI & MVRR last season. I rode it nine times and every ride relaxed me. I've been to a few parks that featured railroads, didn't ride them, and will make a point to ride them this upcoming season when I go to those parks.

• Like 1

Should you or anyone else ever get to Silverwood or to Little Amerricka in Wisconsin, you simply cannot miss the trains! The one at Little Amerricka is great fun...the one at Silverwood is long....

Kennywood has a very interesting train...Knoebel's has more than one!

Got to mention Cedar Point, of course. And Holiday World...and at Six Flags Over Georgia, where some idiot replaced the steam engines with diesels...converted no less.

Oh, and Stricker's Grove has a neat little train, too...and Camden Park's is quite amusing during the annual Spooktacular, in particular. Can't say one would expect what you encounter there!

I've ridden the ones at Stricker's and Cedar Point. I haven't completed the full circuit on CP's yet (Only from Frontiertown to the stop near Millennium Force and Mantis.), but I'll knock that out this upcoming season. I'm also hearing Dollywood's train is one of the best of the best amusement park railroads.