If you are scared of heights...

Cortney

I am scared of heights, but yet I will get on a roller coaster and ride Drop Tower and Power Tower (CP) without any issues.

BUT....

I can't think past the height of Top Thrill Dragster! I have been on that TWICE. The first time I rode it, there was a roll back, and I wanted off it so badly. But I didn't get off. ;) Then this past summer I got on it for some one I know that goes to Cedar Point periodically and lives in my area, and we were on a train after a roll-back. I cannot tell you how relieved I was that it didn't roll back. ;)

The other ride I had "issues" with was Nighthawk at Carowinds. Arg! I hate that ride for the simple reason there is NOTHING to grasp onto while on it. (while Firehawk has the little bicyle handle bars) I laughed, I cried, and screamed on that. And to think its my aunt's favorite ride at Carowinds. Arg!!!!!!! It scares the crap out of me!

So does being scared factor in or do you put the fear aside and go?

I'm petrified of heights, but it's part of the thrill. Drop Tower has all the elements for me... hundreds of feet off the ground, completely open-air environment with "nothing" underneath you, and an agonizingly slow ascent. Maybe I'm sadistic, but I enjoy testing/torturing myself by riding it.

At one point in time, my fear of heights did actually prevent me from riding Drop Tower frequently. But I've overcome that to the point that it's a fear-induced adrenaline rush now.

What scares the daylights out of me? The thought of riding that Drop Tower ride in Las Vegas - the one which STARTS about 900 feet off the ground... :o

LOL Dakota! I would NOT ride the Dropn Tower in Las Vegas, the only thing I would do was the roller coaster and was plenty for me. My dad kept saying watch your step getting onto the coaster. :wacko: LOL I didn't have th guts to do that or the thing thats like Delirium that takes you out on an arm and spins you around, but the whole time you are looking down at the ground!

^You mean The Big Shot in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Here is my story on heights. I used to be terrified of heights and hated them, then I started to ride coasters. That got me over them pretty quick. There was one ride though that I had never ridden and it haunted me. Drop Zone (Drop Tower now). It was on a trip with my Aunt, Uncle, Mom, and Dad to Kings Island in about 2003. I remember this day very vividly because it was a weekday in July where the rain was falling and then it would stop occasionally, thus leading way to a perfect day at the park with no crowds. I looked at Drop Zone and said to my Uncle, "I have never ridden that before, it does look kind of fun. Like a bigger version of Hellavator at SFKK." He replies, "Well we will ride it today then, what do you think?" Of course me being bold and brave at the time reluctantly said yes. I thought that he would never put another ounce of thought into it and forget about it. I was wrong, we walked over there midday and he said let's ride it now. I agreed but was terrified. I hated the thought of heights with nothing around me hardly. I boarded the ride though and was holding on with a death grip. After the descent to earth though, the rest is history for me. It is all about getting over your fears and realizing that once you ride something that you are scared of, most of the time you will want to ride it again and again. That's the way Drop Tower was for me, look at me now.

^Nice story Jasper! I have similar one. I never was that scared of heights, I didn't ride big roller coasters til I was in second grade when I finally became 48". I rode Beast that day,not intimidating at all. Vortex next door didn't scare me but my sister was scared for me. Even though she had already ridden Face/Off, Son of Beast, Vortex, Flight of Fear, and all the others, she had 'a vision' I fell out. I think she was faking it to make me not ride, but I still rode anyways and loved it. Everyone went to the new ride Tomb Raider, I wasn't tall enough so me and my friend went back to Vortex and rode it until they got off.

I'm pretty sure Son of Beast wasn't open this visit. As we approached Drop Zone I got terrified and was hoping it would start raining so it'd close. We got in line and as we were next to get on the ride closed, and being 8 years old I figure that means it's broken and were going to die. So I end up chickening out. Now it's June 2003, Delirium is open, but I'm still not 54" yet. Son of Beast is open this visit, and we go to it first. I'm scared because of all the rumors my sister told me (you know, about how everyone who rides it dies, lol.) I end up riding Son of Beast this visit and loving it! But now everyone is moving on to Drop Zone. We all get in line, and once again I chicken out, but my friend rides it. He said "It isn't so bad if you talk the whole time." I'm still not convinced and we skip it for now.

Just a few weeks later we come back for fourth of July. My Mom's friend is one of those people who loves thrills (not a coaster enthusiast though, she likes rock climbing, white water rafting, ect.) So she is excited. She ends up getting me to ride Drop Zone and I loved it. We ended up riding it a couple times again that day. She had such a good time she wanted to take us to Cedar Point. We went go to CP 4th. of July 2004. I still didn't know stuff about coasters but I did know about CP. The night before we went, I discovered rcdb.com and searched Cedar Point. None of the coasters looked scary until I got to TTD. That was the only ride that scared me. The reason wasn't because of the 120mph. launch or the 420' top hat. It was because the sides of the trains were so open-air. I thought I'd fall out! But trying to be a cool almost 5th. grader, I don't want to chicken out, especially since I'm the only guy on the trip. So I end up riding it and obviously I loved it. The rest is history! ;)

I can honestly say that I'm not afraid of heights, but while working at extreme heights I'm very aware of them! While working mainteneance at ki the highest I have been is on top of Drop Tower and the craziest thing I have done is a few times while inspection Xtreme Skyflyer I would climb completely around the top of the arch instead of having to go back down one side then climb up the other!

After the incident on Flight Commander where the lady fell out. (we were there that day) I went through a period of time where I would NOT ride any big coaster....

It all came down to a day at Carwoinds where my aunt and my 2 cousins and I went on Vortex (it was the year it opened)and it was the last ride of the day, I didn't ride anything with them that day. So my aunt was like come on, its not scary. So I got on it, ZERO problems and we went back and rode the rides one time for me before we went home.

That same summer my parents took my best friend and I to Kings Island and I rode Vortex, in the front row, and still remember my friend going "Cortney, I've never been on this before!" Before we went down the first hill. I never looked back after that. King Cobra was next and it just kept going after that.

My fear of heights hasn't stopped me from riding something to experience it. One of my favorite non-coaster rides is Drop Zone and Power Tower. I love that thrill. I also haven't regretted getting on Delirium, even though I was hesitant, but I loved it. :D

I see the same dare-devilness in my niece. She has had ZERO fear of getting on a coaster, alot like me. I just hope she doesn't get spook suddenly and stops for a period of time. I loved seeing the first time thrill in eyes over the summer and can't wait to take her to Cedar Point and her experience it all, not just some of the big coasters.

nice stories guys, heres mine I guess. I hate heights, even though I go repelling, but I remember I was at Ceder Point and the family was getting on Iron Dragon, well I must have been no older than 8 or 9 and I cried the whole lift hill.... well after than I was able to ride rides but still that first hill gets me like looking over the edge of a climbing wall. My stomach hits my throat and I just hold on haha

I had a mini-panic attack on Top Thrill Dragster the first time I rode it. That, Millennium Force, and Drop Tower are the only rides to ever do that to me. The ride happens so fast, one second your sitting there, the next your goes twice the legal speed limit, the entire park flashing by, the next your above the clouds, the next your looking straight down, the next your slowing to a stop. It's all so fast that the ride's like a blur the first couple times you do it. But that's what makes you want to ride more. It's an amazing experience, and takes a while for your body to even assimilate all that just went on. The time your spent up so high is so short it's not much time to fear it. But trust me, you'll love it. It's like nothing else on Earth....or, at least, nothing else on Earth that's at least OPEN some of the time! ;)

I'm not terrified of heights,never have been.but i really freak out on Drop Tower i guess its because I'm up so high with my feet hanging ,and the restraints are so open i feel like I'm gonna fall out!!the last time i rode Drop Tower with my friend(instead of my daddy♥lol i guess i think nothing will go wrong if hes there!lol)i was totally freaking out but i would never show that ofcorse=D. i was hyperventilating at the very top ,i just wanted down! when it was finally over and my feet were on the ground i had to pry my hands of the restraints lol it seems silly now to freak out about it but when I'm at the very top of the tower it doesn't seem so silly.but Drop Tower is the only one i freak out on!

I can honestly say that I'm not afraid of heights, but while working at extreme heights I'm very aware of them! While working mainteneance at ki the highest I have been is on top of Drop Tower and the craziest thing I have done is a few times while inspection Xtreme Skyflyer I would climb completely around the top of the arch instead of having to go back down one side then climb up the other!

Ok, do you mean that you have rode Drop Tower, or have you worked on the top of Drop Tower. If you have been workingon the top, how do you get up there?

I am not afraid of heights. I remember back in 74 when I worked as a construction helper at Kings Island walking the mono-rail track (about 1 foot wide) across the ravine without any safty harness. Back then we did not wear those safty devices. I just did not look down and sure made sure the soles on my boots were clean. I was grouting the foundations that the track supports were attached too. Anybody sky dive? Looking out of the plane and the ground far below would give one second thougths about their scare of heights as they took that step out of the plane.

I am not afraid of heights. I remember back in 74 when I worked as a construction helper at Kings Island walking the mono-rail track (about 1 foot wide) across the ravine without any safty harness. Back then we did not wear those safty devices. I just did not look down and sure made sure the soles on my boots were clean. I was grouting the foundations that the track supports were attached too. Anybody sky dive? Looking out of the plane and the ground far below would give one second thougths about their scare of heights as they took that step out of the plane.

I bet that was fun-I would have enjoyed that. Isn't it funny the way things are now compared to then? As a kid I was a little scared of coasters but never the height-although I have never been skydiving either-not sure how I would react in that situation.

I am not afraid of heights at all, I am afraid of the unknown though. My first ride on the outer limits Flight of Fear scared the crap outta me because I couldn't see where I was going or what would happen. Being dropped unexpectantly (drop zone) is another one haha.

I know I've said this on here before, but the only problem I have with heights is what I call "unsupported heights". I'm fine on coasters, Eiffel Tower, Drop Zone, etc. because I feel nice and secure being in restraints, or behind bars in the case of ET. But get me on a tall ladder, and I do not like it at all! When we were painting the trim of our house a few years ago, I absolutely HATED doing the sides where the roof comes to a peak.

As far as rides at KI, the one I find most terrifying is Xtreme Skyflyer. Being suspended from a cable, looking straight down at the ground, with just a harness between me and the ground is scary. But that doesn't stop me, I love that ride! I rode it closing day this year with Rotag, and as we were going up I told him about my fear. He commended me and said it was great that I ride it anyway. What can I say, I like pushing my limits! Now if only I could get out to Vegas again to try Insanity, X-Scream and Big Shot...

Getting on Drop Tower was easy for me I always thought it didn't look tall from the ground but once I got on it the 1st time I could hardly get out of the seat. I love the ride. Ferris wheels scare me and I will not ride them they dont have to be tall either and I'm not sure why.

I forgot to add in my post above that I also have a problem with ferris wheels. Not the giant ones where you're basically sitting in a bird cage like at CP, Navy Pier in Chicago or Hersheypark, but the smaller two person seaters like at Coney, or the one that used to be at KI near Festhaus. I feel that if I lean over just a little too much, out I'll go. But I still ride them... I just sit perfectly still! :lol:

I'm petrified of heights, but it's part of the thrill. Drop Tower has all the elements for me... hundreds of feet off the ground, completely open-air environment with "nothing" underneath you, and an agonizingly slow ascent. Maybe I'm sadistic, but I enjoy testing/torturing myself by riding it.At one point in time, my fear of heights did actually prevent me from riding Drop Tower frequently. But I've overcome that to the point that it's a fear-induced adrenaline rush now.What scares the daylights out of me? The thought of riding that Drop Tower ride in Las Vegas - the one which STARTS about 900 feet off the ground... :o

LOL Dakota! I would NOT ride the Dropn Tower in Las Vegas, the only thing I would do was the roller coaster and was plenty for me. My dad kept saying watch your step getting onto the coaster. :wacko: LOL I didn't have th guts to do that or the thing thats like Delirium that takes you out on an arm and spins you around, but the whole time you are looking down at the ground!

Hahaha. I am not petrified of heights, but I would be fibbing if I didnt say that sometimes I get nervous on tall rides. But, I went to Vegas 2 years ago, and we rode the Drop Tower there. It was AMAZING. Biggest thrill I have ever had. Then we also went on the little coaster where all you do is roll out, so you think you are going over the edge, and we rode in front. It was insane! I almost cired, but It again was worth it. :)

Getting on Drop Tower was easy for me I always thought it didn't look tall from the ground but once I got on it the 1st time I could hardly get out of the seat. I love the ride. Ferris wheels scare me and I will not ride them they dont have to be tall either and I'm not sure why.
I forgot to add in my post above that I also have a problem with ferris wheels. Not the giant ones where you're basically sitting in a bird cage like at CP, Navy Pier in Chicago or Hersheypark, but the smaller two person seaters like at Coney, or the one that used to be at KI near Festhaus. I feel that if I lean over just a little too much, out I'll go. But I still ride them... I just sit perfectly still! :lol:

Well, there is a reason why the seats on the Eli Bridge Ferris Wheels say "Danger! Do not rock seat." I`ve yelled at many people for rocking the seats. You can tell those that rock the seats a little just by shifting their weight/seating position and those that are purposefully rocking their cars. In fact, I`ve kicked people off the ride after they had disobeyed my warning to not rock the car. I even had one guy get all rude at me for me telling him to obey the warning labels on the back of the car!

I have no problems with heights on amusement park rides (or even climbing the tree/roof of my house to put up Christmas lights). However, I am terrified of flying. I hate it with a passion. Before I flew down to Orlando last September, the last time I was on a plane was back in 1999 when I flew down to Houston to go on a cruise. And before that you have to go back to when I was just over two years old and flew out to Phoenix. I can do all the roller coasters no problem, but put me on a plane and I turn into a nervous basket case!

I'm not afraid of heights, as long, of course, as there is a restraint keeping me in. I rode Top Thrill Dragster and Drop Tower when I was 8. I hopped on X-Scream (front seat I might add) and Big Shot. Insanity, I will admit, is the most fear I have ever felt before getting on a ride, maybe even in my whole life! Here's an awesome video of the Stratosphere Tower Rides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eRhQTS41pE

You have to realize that before you even get on these rides, you're already 900 feet up for Insanity and X-Scream, 1,000 for Big Shot! Looking at a 60 angle down at the ground 909 feet above is very terrorizing, yet once you're spinning, you can't hesitate to spread your arms.

I've never been afraid of heights. One of my favorite activities as a kid was to climb trees and my goal was to find the biggest tree and climb as high as I could. I'm a utility worker, so I do a lot of latter climbing and boom lift operating 20 to 40 feet up. I have no fear of heights on any coaster or on Eiffel Tower. But there's something about Drop Tower that gives me a great big scare haha. Going up is fun and I love the view at the top.. plus the thrill of being that high up in chair in the open wind is awesome. I think the fear comes in the falling part. So I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm scared to death of falling. If Drop Tower went down as slowly as it went up I'd have no fear on it, but wheres the fun in that?! If the day comes that DB has lost its thrill, then I can always count on Drop Tower to scare the bejesus out of me!

I'm a professor (psychology) at Mount Union College; this fall, I am taking my abnormal psych class on a field trip to Cedar Point to document "coaster-phobes" as they go through exposure therapy throughout the day to conquer their fears. If any of you go to MU, feel free to let me know. :)

Ok, do you mean that you have rode Drop Tower, or have you worked on the top of Drop Tower. If you have been workingon the top, how do you get up there?

i believe there is an elevator inside of the tower that takes you up to the top. can someone back me up on this?

I do not have a fear of heights...I'll get on anything, no matter what height. BUT, ferris wheels are a whole other story. I hate those things with a flaming passion. I don't care if it is caged like CP's...I get a bit panicky on those things and I'm not sure why. Could be from my childhood years spent at Camden Park. I'd get on their ferris wheel with friends and they'd rock the thing just to get a reaction out of me. And it wasn't a good reaction.

My kids LOVE ferris wheels, but I let daddy do the riding there. Nope no how, I'm not going on one. Last time I was on one was 2005, at CP, and I freaked the entire time. My kids (who were 5, 3 and 2 at the time) just looked at me like I was the world's biggest idiot.

Another ride that freaks me out, but I'll ride is the Witches Wheel at CP. I just do not feel secure in those cars. *shudders*

I am deathly afraid of heights, but I LOVE roller coasters. When I ride Invertigo, I want to start in the rear-most seat facing forward. I can't stand the climb up and watching the ground go away. That is the worst part of the ride, but I LOVE the long drop down the hill. That's when it acts like a traditional coaster. If I start backward, I don't like the other side when the catch car grabs hold and pulls up farther. I'm fine when it lets go again. I think the air time on Diamondback is KILLER. Love the air time. I love the view from the Eiffel Tower. I've even been to the top observation deck on the original Eiffel Tower in Paris. That being said... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING ME ON Drop Tower!!!! I will freak out. I have freaked out. I've ridden it 3 times, and that's 4 times too many. Once the ride gets above the trees, reality hits, and every synapse in my body is screaming DON'T DO THIS!!! The seat feels tiny, like I'm going to slip out because it's not supporting enough of me. I know there's a harness. I know there's a belt locking you into the harness. I'm a big guy, so I know I'm not going to be able to slip out, but HE## NO!! I get that twinge in the small of my back that says there's something desperately wrong here. I've looked down before. BIG MISTAKE!!! As I've said on here before, I love coasters because they have a floor (except for inverteds obviously, but I can handle inverteds). I have no issue on Eiffel Tower because it has a floor. I love flying... because you're inside, and there's a floor. I can't do ladders. Anything above the first rung, and I'm hanging on for dear life. Drop Tower, there's nothing below me but this tiny seat. Will I ride Drop Tower? Only if I have to. I'll go, but I won't enjoy it.