CEDAR FAIR TO BE SOLD?!?!?!

Beast1979

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been saying for some time that the current company probably would not own the park in the near future. There is little surprise here...debt default was otherwise soon coming.

That all being said, no sale is complete until it is final.

And being owned by a private equity firm can be a very good thing or a very bad thing...

I have been saying for some time that the current company probably would not own the park in the near future. There is little surprise here...debt default was otherwise soon coming.

And being owned by a private equity firm can be a very good thing or a very bad thing...

So, what happens to CF's current debt? The first article link posted said:

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apollo Management LP is expected to acquire Cedar Fair for about $700 million. The deal would also include the assumption of $1.6 billion of debt, said people familiar with the matter...

So, does that mean CF will be out of debt, plus they will recieve about $700 million? Thus, in total, it is a buy of about $2.3 million? That seems like an awful lot of money. Also, does this include all CF parks, or will CF keep control of some like CP?

*Waiting on a 'yes' answer.

Edit: also from the first article:

...According to Google Finance, the amusement park company's stock rose 29.63 percent in after-hours trading to $9.10 per limited partner unit. Apollo Managment LP is a division of Apollo Investment Corp., which announced the closing of its public offering of common stock on Dec. 15

Wow I didn't think we would be reading about this so soon. This could turn out ot be a great thing for KI though. Obviously I don't know Apollo's plans for the parks but if they intend to sell them off individually (a possibility I would think) it makes sense that they would want to make them as attractive to potential buyers as possible. This could mean new attractions/events for KI. Not to mention being owned by a company that is much better equipped to handle the sort of debt load CF currently holds can't hurt either. Hopefully this works out well for everyone.

If Cedar Fair is purchased, under the terms being discussed in the articles so far, the new company, Apollo, would assume the debt. They would either pay it, refinance it and/or renegotiate the covenants that were about to be breached. Yes, the total transaction price appears to be about $2.3 billion. One would assume that is for all Cedar Fair's assets, but we must wait and see. There also remains the possibility a higher offer could happen, or that the proposed sale may not happen.

So, what happens to CF's current debt? The first article link posted said:

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apollo Management LP is expected to acquire Cedar Fair for about $700 million. The deal would also include the assumption of $1.6 billion of debt, said people familiar with the matter...

So, does that mean CF will be out of debt, plus they will recieve about $700 million? Thus, in total, it is a buy of about $2.3 million? That seems like an awful lot of money. Also, does this include all CF parks, or will CF keep control of some like CP?

*Waiting on a 'yes' answer.

Edit: also from the first article:

...According to Google Finance, the amusement park company's stock rose 29.63 percent in after-hours trading to $9.10 per limited partner unit. Apollo Managment LP is a division of Apollo Investment Corp., which announced the closing of its public offering of common stock on Dec. 15

No, it's just the $700 million. The $1.6 billion is the debt that will be carried over. CF will still be in debt Apollo Investment Corp. will then be in debt. (Thanks Terpy!)

I just couldn't wait for Terpy to say yes!

You should have waited. IF this happens, Cedar Fair will NOT be in debt. It will be sold. The new company would have the debt.

Also, as usual, the Sandusky Register is incorrect....FUN stock did NOT rise nearly 30 percent today. Someone needs to learn to do math there.

Edited. Thanks!

So what you're saying is that CF will no longer exist?

You should have waited. IF this happens, Cedar Fair will NOT be in debt. It will be sold. The new company would have the debt.

Also, as usual, the Sandusky Register is incorrect....FUN stock did NOT rise nearly 30 percent today. Someone needs to learn to do math there.

....Certainly not trying to prove the great Terpy wrong...

It was at $9.10 this morning and reached $11.70 in after hours trading (according to the Wall Street Journal) thats close to 30 percent.

The Sandusky Register misquoted the price I believe...it STARTED at $9.10 instead of ending there.

Haha or perhaps my facts are completely wrong...

Big news. Can't say I'm too surprised. The initial shock was there, but I can certainly understand this move. Let's just hope that 10 or 15 years from now, we don't look back at this as the beginning of the end.

I have two questions:

1. Will I still be able to buy passes to Kings Island and Cedar Point?

2. When I go to said parks, will they be any different at all?

I guess it comes down to, will current management remain, or will they manage things for us?

I would think that at the minimum passes that have already been bought/renewed will be honored for the coming year. As for the second question...who knows? I guess we will all have to wait and see.

Granted, this deal has not been finalized yet. Nor has Cedar Fair itself commented on this speculation (or will they likely do so until after it is finalized and announced if it is indeed ever finalized).

It would not be surprising if Cedar Fair were bought based on their debt and the fact that they were likely going to be cutting their cash distribution to pay down their debts. Since Apollo is a private equity firm, it will be interesting to see exactly what their investment will be in Cedar Fair. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Cedar Fair`s units upon completion of the sale. Will owners in those units get a set amount of money in exchange for their shares? I would have to assume that something along those lines will happen.

One thing that may happen if this sale goes through, is that the quarterly conference calls that Cedar Fair has had may become a thing of the past. So it may be harder to judge how well the parks are doing in terms of attendance, and harder to judge what level of capital investment the parks are doing every season.

I`d expect day to day operations at the parks to remain relatively unchanged. Yes, some of the senior management at the corporate level may experience a turnover with this acquisition, but remember that Apollo would be investing in this company because they expect to see a return on their investment. Will there be changes at the parks? Sure, with any new owner of a park you can expect to see some changes. Like when Cedar Fair purchased Kings Island, you likely won`t see any drastic changes immediately. Needless to say, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days as more details emerge. Of course, this whole thing could end up not even happening.