What's your favorite FAIL ride?

CedarPointer

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Son of Beast would be my favorite fail. What was the reason for the closure of Rocket Rods?

Disneyland was too cheap to bank the curves on the PeopleMover track, so the ride had to slow down for each curve. This put a lot of wear and tear on the wheels. Also, it broke down all the time. And, since the PeopleMover track wasn't made to withstand the forces of Rocket Rods, it started to fall apart.

My favorite? Batman and Robin: The Chiller. I nearly cry just typing it. Such a good ride...so bad when it opened...finally fixed, and still required far, far, far too much maintenance.

I miss it so.

Right behind that would be Jumping Jack Flash aka Jump2.

And Evolution. But Six Flags St Louis was finally able to make that one work...

Rip Ride Rockit. Looked sweet on paper, hear it is horrible.

Time to say it again.

Never judge a book by its cover.

My favorite fail ride would have to be Hurricane Cat. 5 at The Myrtle Beach Pavilion (Why didn't they tear down Family Kingdom instead? Why?!)

I also do not consider Backlot Stunt Coaster a "fail." I've been on somewhere around 100 coasters, and I truly consider Backlot Stunt Coaster (Kings Island's, particularly, and it's previous incarnation as Italian Job more specifically) as easily one of my top 10 coasters. If the wait's more than 10 minutes, I'm sure it's a letdown. But if it's a walk-on (which I find that it usually is in the mornings), it's a nice surprise! It's got quite a kick, and if it were to be properly advertised as a family coaster, I think the satisfaction with it would skyrocket. Granted, without water and music it's a little less than it used to be...

As far as it being an eyesore, I think that's the enthusiast in everyone talking... As someone who visited the park casually and with family throughout the 90's (I was born in 1991), I hardly remember the antique cars. I tend to imagine that a casual parkgoer (as I was) or a family would be unlikely to look up at the coaster and think, "My GOD that's an eyesore... What they need is some antique cars!" I just can't see anyone but a hardcore Kings Island fan thinking that. The ride is really quite picturesque to me, a third-party with no historical interest in the land on which it sits. The billboards, the "city" architecture, the helicopter, etc. all present an interesting view from all angles, and the fact that it sits on gravel instead of grass is just a really nice touch that gives it its own blueprint and adds to the theme.

I can't think of many negatives to Backlot as a whole: It's a fun ride, it's a family ride, it's got short waits most days, it remains one of the better themed rides at the park despite the loss of Paramount, it packs an unexpected punch, and its unique to the region - the comment I most commonly year, "You won't find something like that at Cedar Point!" People like that they can get an (admittedly, downgraded) Universal-esque ride at an Ohio park.

But then what excuse would Jeff & Co. have used to move the Flying Eagles to Carowinds? Besides, Backlot would have fit even better where the pay per use (and not all that used) go karts are...and the scenic area that was where Backlot is now could have been preserved...At one time, Paramount planned on hurling another attraction in there, but it ended up at Carowinds as well.