What's your favorite FAIL ride?

CedarPointer

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused... are we talking about a "failed" ride... Or are we talking about that internet term "fail" like when these kids use that label (i think its) "epic fail"... If its the latter, then the answer is none - partially because i find the whole 'fail' thing is the next bandwagon internet phrase and, in my opinion, kind of juvenile. It sort of reminds me of when my mother used to say "Now now now... use your words, you certainly have something more intelligent to say than just 'whatever'". If its the former, probably Son of Beast... Even though, I do enjoy it, and if it opened today I'd more than likely get in line.

Im confused... are we talking about a "failed" ride... Or are we talking about that internet term "fail" like when these kids use that label (i think its) "epic fail"... If its the latter, then the answer is none - partially because i find the whole 'fail' thing is the next bandwagon internet phrase and, in my opinion, kind of juvenile. It sort of reminds me of when my mother used to say "Now now now... use your words, you certainly have something more intelligent to say than just 'whatever'". If its the former, probably Son of Beast... Even though, I do enjoy it, and if it opened today I'd more than likely get in line.

The topic description says "... a good idea that turned out as a failure", so I would say the former.

Guest Millennium

I am very disappointed to hear Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit was listed..I loved that coaster. The GP loves it too, it is just a bit gimmicky. But it the first of its kind, so give it a break! :P

Answering the question, my answer is Son of Beast. Looking at the old videos on YouTube of it running make me a bit sad.

Guest Millennium

Can I have a park instead of just a ride?

I vote for Freestyle Music Park/Hard Rock Park. The grounds were beautiful and the rides were a lot of fun. It is a shame that the management couldn't make a go of it.

Did the park go out of business?

I am very disappointed to hear Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit was listed..I loved that coaster. The GP loves it too, it is just a bit gimmicky. But it the first of its kind, so give it a break! :P

Answering the question, my answer is Son of Beast. Looking at the old videos on YouTube of it running make me a bit sad.

I love that ride too. I rode it just last month. One thing I hate though, those stupid people the that talk on the TV's in the line. "Tummy Check on isle two", "Lets hit it, Asta!"

• 2 weeks later...

The Crypt. Before as TR:TR it was pretty good. Then they completely made it into one of the worst rides in amusement history.

Yeah, it's so sad that one of the best rides in amusement history became one of the worst rides in amusement history. It goes a little like this...

one of the best rides in amusement history + Cedar Fair =

one of the worst rides in amusement history

...lol

The Crypt. Before as TR:TR it was pretty good. Then they completely made it into one of the worst rides in amusement history.

Yeah, it's so sad that one of the best rides in amusement history became one of the worst rides in amusement history. It goes a little like this...

...lol

Do you even know why they changed the ride cycle? I don't think you do... The ride was tearing itself apart. Before you comment about Cedar Fair please read this

It's getting annoying with all the Cedar Fair jokes.

Deju Vu. Never rode it, but the idea of an Invertigo thats literally twice as big sounds awesome, and you'd think it would be just as simple as doubling the size and it would work fine, however that was not the case, and it was a problematic nightmare for Six Flags, and was eventually removed and scrapped.

Realistically though its Son of Beast. I can't tell you how pumped I was when I saw the blueprints up at KI in 1999

...lol

Do you even know why they changed the ride cycle? I don't think you do... The ride was tearing itself apart. Before you comment about Cedar Fair please read this

It's getting annoying with all the Cedar Fair jokes.

I wasn't talking about the ride cycle at all.

Deju Vu. Never rode it, but the idea of an Invertigo thats literally twice as big sounds awesome, and you'd think it would be just as simple as doubling the size and it would work fine, however that was not the case, and it was a problematic nightmare for Six Flags, and was eventually removed and scrapped....

a. The ride experience is totally different, and the ride itself is not really much bigger than Invertigo...

b. Removed and scrapped? Whatever are you talking about? All three of them run today...

Magic Mountain...operates reliably and is great fun.

Six Flags Over Georgia, sold to Mirabilandia in Brazil and operates reliably as Sky Mountain, by all accounts. Also great fun (at least when it was in Georgia).

Six Flags Great America, sold to Silverwood in Idaho, where it operates reliably as Aftershock. Also great fun.

The Bat is my favorite fail ride even though i never rode it. it looked so amazing i wish someone could fix the problems and rebulid it some where else.

I rode it numerous times. This coaster was not like any other suspended. Big Bad Wolf was similar, but in no way like The Bat. Those cars swung violently. It was awesome. But also a major reason for its demise. No banked turns. Problems with brake design..etc..... I rode it in the front seat at night.......All I can say is "WOW!"

Deju Vu. Never rode it, but the idea of an Invertigo thats literally twice as big sounds awesome, and you'd think it would be just as simple as doubling the size and it would work fine, however that was not the case, and it was a problematic nightmare for Six Flags, and was eventually removed and scrapped....

a. The ride experience is totally different, and the ride itself is not really much bigger than Invertigo...

b. Removed and scrapped? Whatever are you talking about? All three of them run today...

Magic Mountain...operates reliably and is great fun.

Six Flags Over Georgia, sold to Mirabilandia in Brazil and operates reliably as Sky Mountain, by all accounts. Also great fun (at least when it was in Georgia).

Six Flags Great America, sold to Silverwood in Idaho, where it operates reliably as Aftershock. Also great fun.

Well I stand corrected. I really thought they scrapped them. Oh well.

• 1 month later...
Guest Millennium

I think it is safe to say, even though I have not ridden it, that it would be i305. The layout looks fun but Intamin seems to have designed it 100 feet too tall..

Guest Millennium

Not a fail? I'm sure KD thinks so..

Having to replace wheels on each train multiple times, not to mention having to get new restraints and adding a trim so many people would stop blacking out.

I originally said "deja vu" but honestly Not really. My favorite fail ride that I've read about is Drachen Fire. Pretty interesting really. Its my understanding Busch wanted B&M to build Kumba and Drachen Fire for them, however B&M was busy making the 2 Vortex standups for paramount parks, and working on Batman the ride, so they only could deliver one, so the project was handed over to Arrow. Interestingly it even looks like a B&M as Arrow tried to incorporate their design standards into the project, but the result was a complete failcoaster. Wish I would of gotten a chance to ride it when it was still around.

Guest Millennium

Raven @ Holiday World.

Many people dub it overrated, but absolutely love it.

..What? Raven is nowhere near a fail. It won best wooden roller coaster three years a row in Amusement Today. Before Voyage, Raven was the parks most popular coaster.

I would have to agree that KI Crypt is an epic fail, after experiencing the same ride at KD, what a beautiful ride that was.

the only thing those two rides have in common is their current/past names, the capacity(?), and right after Kings Island's became "the crypt", the ride cycle.

Kings Island's giant top spin was designed to be a trip through scenery, which most was causing the ride damage, so it was removed and left you with a trip in nearly complete darkness.