What's your favorite FAIL ride?

CedarPointer

I agree a million percent that Backlot should've gone where the go-karts are, and if I was sure that the area where it currently sits would be returned to a tranquil, park-like area, I'd rally for it - however, one must remember two things:

1) Of all the Backlot Stunt Coasters, we have arguably the best location - Kings Dominion's is in the Congo (theme-wise) and realistically, it's somewhat nestled into the waterpark, so you find yourself launching towards their funnel slide. Canada's Wonderlands was in Action Zone in a nice located, but today it's literally underneath Behemoth, which is what, 150 feet above it? That kinda squelches the ride's impact.

2) Cedar Fair chose not to keep up the already-tranquil, beautiful, easily maintained Tower Gardens, the perfect place for guests to take a break, sit by the waterfall, see the flowers, etc. It's hard to say what they would have done or would do to the land that once held the Antique Cars if the cars had lasted until their reign. Just sayin'

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bat

2) Cedar Fair chose not to keep up the already-tranquil, beautiful, easily maintained Tower Gardens, the perfect place for guests to take a break, sit by the waterfall, see the flowers, etc. It's hard to say what they would have done or would do to the land that once held the Antique Cars if the cars had lasted until their reign. Just sayin'

Isn't that what International Street, especially the fountain, are for?

i would have to say Firehawk, but mainly because of all of it's down time and horrid capasity due to the trains, i mean come on is it really that hard to create a faster reclining system?

When I was watching the news story about the death after riding Firehawk, it showed footage of the train moving into the laying position. I think that may have been the way at GL.

Cedar Fair chose to 'grace' it instead with popular tunes from the 80's, 90's and today...while moving the old soundtrack from International Street to, of all places, Worlds of Fun.

I remember Paramount having the same type of music as CF.

But even with the choice of music, it is nice, and usually cooler, to sir near the fountain on a hot July day.

Cedar Fair chose to 'grace' it instead with popular tunes from the 80's, 90's and today...while moving the old soundtrack from International Street to, of all places, Worlds of Fun.

But even with the choice of music, it is nice, and usually cooler, to sir near the fountain on a hot July day.

Why sit when you can ride!

Why sit when you can ride!

I like to sit back, take a break, have a frosty beverage, and "people watch".

It is very funny on what people will actually do when they don't think eyes are on them.

CF keeps most of the park nice. Honestly, how many people do you see in Tower Gardens? I'd rather they spend their landscaping budget in other areas which have more traffic. Tower Gardens is the exception, not the rule.

Oh, really? Walk down Coney Mall. Look around as if you have never visited the park before. Tell me what you see...especially after you pass Monster...what's on the left? The right? What does it look like? When was Racer last painted? What buildings are standing empty, unused and forlorn? Does this look like most of the rest of the park?

Oh, really? Walk down Coney Mall. Look around as if you have never visited the park before. Tell me what you see...especially after you pass Monster...what's on the left? The right? What does it look like? When was Racer last painted? What buildings are standing empty, unused and forlorn? Does this look like most of the rest of the park?

Oh, really? When you bought your first house, did you have it furnished completely? Did you paint every wall? Did you decorate every wall?

Chances are, no. We could not expect CF, or any other company, to come in a fix every problem Paramount let go in such a short time.

I, like yourself, remember KI pre-Paramount. It was BGE-esque. It would be unfair to expect CF to clean up in a couple off seasons what took Paramount to dirty in over a decade.

If CF had ingnored the park, I would agree with you. But the park looked better in 2009 than it has in almost 10 years- Even with a limited budget in a tight economy.

Rome was not built in a day...

And the new owners will not have to concentrate on adding a $25 million coaster, a relocated & repainted flying coaster, a refurbished children's area, re-naming rides, de-theming rides themed to poor movies, or dealing with poor entertainment shows.

If I were the new owner, a fresh coat of paint and some unused buildings would be easy to deal with.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the main thing is that it could have EASILY been placed in Action Zone. It would have fit the theme perfectly, and looked much nicer from the top of the Eiffel Tower.

xr93W.png

(please excuse the poor photoshopping, obviously Slingshot wouldn't be removed)

I just bumped this topic because it was starting to make me think, particularly by this great example by CedarPointer. My favorite "failed-A.K.A. not failed but removed" had to of been the classic Flying Eagles. They used to be one of my favorite rides when i was little. I forget where, but i know that i have stated this before, that Paramount should have placed IJST in Action Zone. As this clearly shows, it would have fit. I think that this is one of the most empty-headed moves made by Paramount. Even though we all criticize CF's "theming"at least they put coasters in the appropriate spots. If Paramount/CBS still owned KI, Firehawk may be in Rivertown right now.rolleyes.gif

^if paramount still owned Kings Island, Firehawk wouldn't even be at Kings Island

Neither would Diamondbackwink.gif Lets just say "if" they bought and built Firehawk, they built other rides like it (BORG: Assimulator A.K.A. nighthawk).

-KIBOB, just speaking through a "what if" viewpoint.

the first thing construction wise with Diamondback happened on october 11, 2007 (according to the Diamondback blog), i don't see how in less than a year Cedar Fair decided what to build, where to get it, and started construction, unless however Cedar Fair had for whatever reason already planed for an attraction to go into rivertown before Kings Island was ever purchaced from paramount.

but hey, i'm not going to argue with the parks p.r.

the first thing construction wise with Diamondback happened on october 11, 2007 (according to the Diamondback blog), i don't see how in less than a year Cedar Fair decided what to build, where to get it, and started construction, unless however Cedar Fair had for whatever reason already planed for an attraction to go into rivertown before Kings Island was ever purchaced from paramount.

but hey, i'm not going to argue with the parks p.r.

Im not 100% sure, but didnt B&M design Diamondback and present it to Paramount Parks, but they did not want it, then when Cedar Fair took over they were the ones who got back with B&M and worked on the proposed plans for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Little Bill's Giggle Coaster.

Just when it starts getting good, boom, you're back in the station. Sure, they give you another lap around, but by then, the novelty's run off.

Oh, and Sportacopters.

The peddling makes absolutely no difference to the speed of the ride. You mean I can go from a elderly woman with a stretcher to an elderly lady on a scooter just by peddling?! Not to mention the hills are such a letdown. The hills on Giggle Coaster are more thrilling than that.

Wait, I forgot.

Fairly Odd Coaster.

Fail because of the name.

Fail because they took out the tunnel.

And fail because they never did put Wanda back up on the sign out front (the Wanda picture on the FOC logo came off midway through the 2007 season and had yet to be put back up, unless someone ran off with it).

Backlot Stunt Coaster is, no kidding, one of my favorite roller coasters. I've been on 100, so it's not like I'm confined to Kings Island. But the experience is just fun! The launch has more of a kick than you'd ever expect, the effects (even in their downgraded form) are incredibly entertaining, the tunnel is literally pitch-black and so disorienting... The ride is just fun! That being said, the Google Maps that was created, if it was kept to scale when created, has honestly convinced me that the ride can (and should) be relocated to where the go-karts are currently. It's obvious that they're probably among the most random and unused rides at the park, with an awful oval-layout (who pays to drive in circles?!). Meanwhile, if it were located there, the Action Zone plaza would radiate out towards FACE/OFF, towards the gigantic Son of Beast, and towards BLSC's "parking garage" structure. It would be a great Weenie (as Mr. Disney would call it), and fit perfectly in the "backlot where an action movie is being themed" scenario.

The good news is, anything's possible! Perhaps post-Apollo (or post-whoever-ends-up-with-the-park-this-summer), the park's owner will see the aesthetic benefit of relocating the ride. That being said, please know that our BLSC is in the best condition and best location of the three.

Kings Dominion's launches towards the waterpark, and the whole coaster is nestled among waterslides (people always go ape over it being located in the Congo area - it's not. It's made very, very clear that it's in its own little car-themed corner of the park that just isn't noted on the map, the same way it appears Firehawk and Flight of Fear are in the antique-park themed Coney Mall - they're not).

Canada's Wonderland's, meanwhile, it literally underneath Behemoth. Imagine if Diamondback's lifthill went right over BLSC and you've got Canada's layout.

rendering_aerial_landscape.jpg

Now if that doesn't remove any sense of intimidation or intensity from the ride, I don't know what would...