What do you miss most from PKI's past?

italianchef

what exactly was the Smurf Ride? Was it a type of dark ride? I know of a great Cedar Point site that has a history section that shows pictures and talks of all of the non-existent rides and attractions through-out the parks history. Does anyone know if something like this exists for PKI?

I miss Skylab, and KCKC the most. I never liked riding King Cobra much while we had it, but I think it looked a lot better on the midway than Delirium.

I only hope that someday, they don't do the same with Vortex, but you never know-I honestly thought I wouldn't live to see the day that King Cobra and KCKC weren't at the park anymore.

Edited by Crazy31088

It's got to be Skylab. That ride was so much fun. And it was a bigger enterprise ride than current ones (the cars were bigger). It was so much fun when you came down from the top of the spin and just saw the ground coming at you. People used to stand and watch that ride and be so freaked out.

Bring back Skylab!

Yes i do miss some of the old rides but I also miss some of the little nuances that defined the park back when I was growing up in the 80s..such as the old roaming characters including the "clown band", the old vine canopy with twinkling lights that served as great place for shade, the classical french horn music throughout the park, the old hana barbara land including the smurfs ride, and even the smell of the mist from the fountains seemed to be better back then. And I finally trully miss winterfest.

• Like 1

I miss the Bavarian Beetle. I also miss The Bat. I liked the Rotor too. I wish the train ride was more lively like it was when I was a kid......kinda boring to take your kids on.......except for that hilarious guy on the microphone with his great jokes (barf.......is that guy drunk?).

I can't believe they're considering getting rid of WaterWorks. I love Waterworks and I differ from those who like the Beach better.........the toddler area and Pirates Cove is much better for kids than The Beach. The Beach has a better Wave Pool but not as many rides, IMO.

My favorite rides right now are Whitewater Canyon, Flight of Fear, and Tomb Raider. I hope they don't get rid of Whitewater Canyon.......it is the best family ride in the entire park!

I miss Phantom Theater VERY much - as well as the Hanna-Barbera characters. I also miss the James Bond show at the Paramount FX Theater. And I miss GRAVEYARD SHIFT which was an awesome show.

What do the rest of you miss that is no longer at PKI?

So true Mr. Chef! All three of your choices is right on key, cept I would just add King Cobra. those were always fun! Also POP FUSION was good too!

~Ryan~

FYI Guess what August 23, 2003 is?

It's the day I see jump5 live in concert! YAY! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Wow! A lot of you guys miss the Smurf ride. I always thought they made a mistake by changing it over from Enchanted Voyage. As a kid, I use to love riding the boat as you entered the giant TV. If they still had that ride today, it would have so much "retro" appeal. But I doubt AOL Time Warner would have allowed them to have access to all the HB characters. Phantom Theater was okay. But the Enchanted Voyage will always rule that building!

I miss Water Works already. j/k

Actually, I miss Phantom Theatre. The ride was amazing. The best part was watchig the Maestro play while waiting in the queue lines. I remember how the Maestro used to turn his head back and forth and kid of shift his body around. It actually gave the illusion that he was really playing the pipe organ. It's just a shame that they let the ride go to hell the past few years of operation. Then to add shame to all of it, they put in the Scooby ride, which in my opinion, is extremely crappy in comparison.

I would agree. My kids would ride Phantom Theatre like 4 to 6 times while we were at KI. They loved when the Opera Singer belted out her high note! They had it all down to a science. The new ride is hard to hit the targets, atleast in my opinion. I scored over 1000 points but my kids had a hard time. I wonder if they took a poll, if the patrons would pick the new ride over Phantom Theatre? I doubt it.

I like thrill rides. But I still contend that more family-type rides would be better. I would say that the two groups of patrons PKI has to satisfy are the teenagers (thrill rides) and the family groups. The last 5 to 10 times I have been there, it has been with my own family (2 adults, 2 kids under 10 years old) or with my family and another family (friends) with kids under 10. We ride The Beastie, Adventure Express, the Reptar, Top Cat Taxi, (the phantom theatre before they changed it), Boulder Bumpers, Log Flume (or whatever it's called now), the flying swings chairs, Congo Falls, The Racer, the Scrambler, and a few of the kids (my 6 year old) have actually ridden SOB, Top Gun, Vortex, and Viking Fury.

I think they should bring back the big slide where you use rugs to go down. Also, a Bavarian Beetle (mouse type rollercoaster) would be fun. I miss Skylab too.

I will say that I think PKI is doing things smarter than they use to.......and Action Zone says alot about their planning. Hopefully this new section will be similar to the way they planned Action Zone.

I am a big Scooby Doo fan. I have Scooby Doo video games, clothes, and movies. I think that SDATHC is a great ride. But I would give it up in 2 seconds to have the Phantom Theater back. SDATHC is very child oriented. Phantom Theater reminded me of Phantom of the Opera and Disney's The Haunted Mansion. It has class, it had style, it was original, and I really miss it!

Also, I miss the French Bakery. I remember buying an eclair for Mrs. Chef there back in 2000 or 2001. A "French Bakery" was very appropriate for INTERNATIONAL Street. The Pretzel & Fudge Shop doesn't quite fit International Street as well.

Also, I miss taking my picture with numerous Hanna-Barbera characters. PKI is still great - but I wish to return some blast from the past.

Have a groovy day y'all,

Italian Chef

Chef, was it you who told me that one of the reasons they took out PT was because parents were complaining about their kids getting scared in it? It makes sense. I realize that they have a ten year tradition for that building, but that may have had something to do with it. Perhaps warning signs could have been added, wouldn't hurt.

I miss the Smurfs (the ride and the walk-around characters), Days Of Thunder, and the wooden shoes (as I used to call them) - I think the real name is Le Flying Dutchmen...something like that...

My favorite shows that are gone are the Skating Shows (when they were in Paramount Theatre) and 'Retro: Repeat The Beat' from '96...I'd say the big stage shows from American Heritage, but I don't remember them too clearly...and of course I miss the Clown Band!

The French Bakery was great.

I really miss, as far as food is concerned, at PKI is the candy apples (the red, candied kind, not the caramel kind). I haven't been able to find them in the park for a while, they used to have them in the candy store across from Tomb Raider in Rivertownb, but I don't know what happened to them. Or are they somewhere else in the park now, and I just missed them?