What do you miss most from PKI's past?

italianchef

Theming lost...Thanks to Paramount. Since when does a Hindu temple fit in with an early Ohio settlement? A Hollywood backlot in a classic amusement park? And my personal favorite, a racing, spy, and Spongebob movies in a classic amusement park.

Yep. Paramount was great!

Oh my gosh. I just realized that this was a thread about what is missed about the park, not about what was missed from Paramount! Well then, I shall say this:

• Flying Eagles. A big one.
  • The Crypt
  • The Antique Cars
  • The drapes in the Festhaus. Why did they need be removed?
  • King Cobra-never got to ride it. Looked fun.
  • The Flying Dutchman.
  • Swan Lake

• Like 1

Strangely, I miss Screamin' Demon and Cobra, though in the last year before it was taken out, the Cobra would give me grey outs.

I miss the short, peppy rides like that you could alternate with the larger rides. Since I got married to a person who gets dizzy and nauseous on spinning rides, I miss some of the spinning rides that are still there.

I got to see Baryshnikov practice while waiting in line on the Screamin' Demon.

With all due respect, I would not phrase this thread as" PKI's past" but "King's Island's" past. The Paramount years in KI's 40 year history only existed for 13 out its 40 years. Remember, it was the Taft family, not Paramount, who created Kings Island including such classics as The Beast. Just trying to give credit where credit is due.

Hey, I miss those "Ghost Chasers" dogless leashes, the tall 7Up bottles in Glass Blower's shop, the spontaneous, roving small bands, the RC boats called "Scooby's Schooners," and (weirdest of them all) I miss the way the Eiffel Tower used to be lit up; including the warm, glowing red ACW lights (vs. the dim, white one atop the mast). Don't ask me why, but it really made the tower look like a jewel against the night sky! Now it looks, um, cheap.

• Like 3

With all due respect, I would not phrase this thread as" PKI's past" but "King's Island's" past. The Paramount years in KI's 40 year history only existed for 13 out its 40 years. Remember, it was the Taft family, not Paramount, who created Kings Island including such classics as The Beast. Just trying to give credit where credit is due.

This thread was revived from 2003. At the time, PKI would have been appropriate because that was the name of the park back then.

• Like 1

Of course, if you've heard me rant long enough, you'll know that I miss dearly the orchestral music they used to play "over the fountains" on International Street. It gave entering (and exiting) the park a completely different feel than does the modern, voice-intensive music they play today. The symphony was awe-inspiring and relaxing at the same time (even before it was all movie themes, which could still work!). I miss it.

I mixed together something of an audio "painting," using clips of several pieces (adhering carefully to fair use)...

It's not perfect, but sitting next to the fountains sounded something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TltZMEfCA5M&feature=youtu.be

• Like 5

I probably miss the overall atmosphere of the park. Found some old pictures of my first ever visit in 1996 and an old button promoting Flight of Fear. Ride wise I have to say King Cobra and Phantom Theater. Only got to ride Cobra once so I vaguely remember. Other things I miss are the Hanna Barberra characters in HBL. Never forget Scooby Doo, Captain Caveman, etc. running around. Viva La Paramount!

Thought I would share this video about Kings Islands history:

:blink: !!!

I met Gary a couple years ago while attending a sales meeting in the Garfield. I started looking at a picture of the Island Queen hanging outside his office, and he came out and struck up a friendly conversation. We had an in-depth discussion about it, and I was amazed with his knowledge and detail about the ship, about Coney Island, and was even able to share with him a story my dad had told me about his seeing the ship for the last time when he was just a small boy. I had no idea I was talking to the man who created my favorite place in the whole world!!!

...I've seen this video before, but never made the connection. D'Oh! The conversation I could've had! :(

• Like 1

Things I miss -

A train ride that was more than just a way to get to the water park and back.

Winterfest

The original themed sections of the park - although KI is doing a pretty good job of getting back to that.

The area that had the Paramount Story that has been turned into a smoking section. People smoke pretty much when and where they want anyway - why not designate it as a non-smoking area?

This thread was revived from 2003. At the time, PKI would have been appropriate because that was the name of the park back then.

ooops, I goofed. Sorry about that.