What do you miss most from PKI's past?

italianchef

The French Bakery is still there. Its never left the park. It may not sell all of the same items it used to, but it has brought in items from other locations that closed. Pretzel and Fudge shop closed in 2000, the fudge stayed there but the pretzels moved to the Bakery. The Bakery still makes cinnamin rolls, elephant ears, donuts (well Krispy Kreme actually makes them), fresh hand made pretzels, cinnamin pretzel twists and many other items.

The ride I miss most is Kenton Kove Keelboat Canal. That was the greatest water ride in the park in my opinion. There was never a line so you could ride as many times you wanted without waiting more than five minutes. I thought it was cool how they had bluegills and other fish in the pond where you could see them while you were on the ride. That was a great ride. sad.gif

The French Bakery is still there. Its never left the park. It may not sell all of the same items it used to, but it has brought in items from other locations that closed. Pretzel and Fudge shop closed in 2000, the fudge stayed there but the pretzels moved to the Bakery. The Bakery still makes cinnamin rolls, elephant ears, donuts (well Krispy Kreme actually makes them), fresh hand made pretzels, cinnamin pretzel twists and many other items.

The French Bakery is still there physically - but the name was changed to The Bakery & Pretzel Shop. And the shop doesn't offer eclairs, croissants, or anything remotely French.

Bon Jour,

Italian Chef

I miss der spinnin keggers. My uncle used to go with my family to King's Island and he would get it spinning before it started and we were always the last off because we were still spinning. I can't really say that I miss The Bat because I don't really remember too much what it was like. I just remember it swinging wildly back and forth. I miss the Bayern Curve as well, it was cool cause when you got up to top speed, they would soung a loud horn. I kinda miss the Tumblebug, although now it would probably seem lame. I also miss the Zodiac even though it used to scare the hell out of me. I just don't like that hanging feeling. Never really liked Phantom Theater other than the air conditioning. I used to like the Enchanted Voyage before and after the smurfs. I liked it b4 smurfs cause it had this one part that if you looked in this mirror, it looked like a ghost was sitting next to you. Then after it became Smurfs Enchanted Voyage, because I loved the smurfs.

Sorry Brother. I never studied Francais - just Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. Thanks for correcting me.

Cumsamnida,

Italian Chef

Actually, let me correct both of us. You meant to say 'bye', right? In that case it's 'au revoir'.

Khomalro and Khamsahnidah.

Edited by fusiondude09

One, Winterfest, great way to get into the holiday spirit with family and friends. Two, what were those shoes called used to spin around in the air about where CyberSays is now? They were lame, but I loved them as a kid, they were my favorite ride. Three, props to the dude who liked Retro Repeat the Beat in 96',,, also one of my favorite shows. But I am also partial to RetroActive from 98'. They all beat Graveyard Shift all to heck.

I really miss Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal. It was an extremely fun log flume that just never had a wait. Oh, it also fit nicely into that 'Rivertown' theme unlike some other ride **cough** Tomb Raider **cough**

By the way, I am pretty sure that periodically the Fudge Shop on International Street makes candy apples. I say periodically because I haven't been on the Street for over a month now, and also the fact that majors are required to make candy apples, which is a rare commodity in Merchandise. (Yes that's right, Merch runs Fudge, not Food, interesting, no?)

I probably miss Enchanted Voyage and The Smurfs most of all, because I realy like dark rides that move through water. No parks around here have those anymore. Thats why I'm really looking forward to going to Disney next year.

I also miss the blue Smurf ice cream. It was yummy!

I miss the recording studio, even though I sing professionaly today, I recorded some real bombs back in the day with my friends.

I also miss the Keelboat Canal. It was so long and went back in the woods. When I was younger I always thought it would be so cool to make out with a girl on that ride......alas I never got the chance.

Of course I miss King Cobra. Here,s a funny story. About 8 years ago I took my wife to PKI for the first time. She had never been to a big park before, and so had never ridden a big coaster. One of the first things we did was ride KC..........front car. She was a little freaked, and wouldn't talk to me for about a half hour. She got me back the next year though, she made me ride The Xtreme Skyflyer. I threatened her with divorce the entire time we were being hoisted up.

But I really miss going to the park as a kid, or young adult. When I go now I am forced to take my kids, and am forced to spend most of my day doing what they want to do. I love the little rugrats, but ...well anybody else in my shoes knows what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I love Action Zone to death, but don't you think that if they planned a little bit better, they could have kept Adventure Village and put rides there that fit the theme? I mean AE, TR:TR, maybe even PT would have fit in there. Unfortunately, now there is no home for such rides, and those rides did (or didn't) fit the theme of the areas they in which they are/were built.

<<<Back to the topic>>>>

Here's one that we can all work on: I miss when people used to ride Viking Fury and when it hit the apex on one side, the people would yell "Taste great!!" and when it hit the apex on the other, the other side would yell "Less filling!!" When I first saw people do that, I was about 6 and had no clue what they were talking about, but now that I think about it, it was probably pretty funny at the time.

I wish they would stick to the themes a little bit more. I mean, I-Street does have the Eiffel Tower, but other than that, it's just a name. It used to have more international resteraunts and stuff, but it seems to be more commercialized now.

They've done well with Rivertown. I'm not one to think that it should be specifically water rides. I still kind of get a feeling of walking through the old west while I'm there. The Beast, and to a lesser extent, TR:TR still kind of have old looks to them, so I think they fit in there.

I never really got why Nickelodean Central is near Hanaba Barbarra Land as opposed to being next to Water Works. In the theory that is in my head (which means nothing to reality) it seems like a kid would ride the rides, get hot, and then decided to go to Nickelodean Central. From there, he or she would decide to go to Water Works. So the kid would have to put on their shoes, and walk soaking wet down that path that seems to go on for miles, or they'd ride the train and soak the seat that they're in. Personally, I would have put the ampetheatre there, but had Nickelodean Central in Water Works.

Action Zone is themed decently. They make attempts with the Stunt Crew Grill and stuff. They need to bring back the stunt show that used to be there. That was fun to watch whily you passed by. Now that mini water tower-looking thing is more or less just used to hold up the Timberwolf sign that is the size of a "No Parking" sign.

Coney Mall should be the biggest area in the park. You can have anything there. It seems like the name is simply a tribute to the past. I guess there really is no way to theme it, except have it look like Coney Island maybe, but oh well.. PKI and Coney Island are based off of two totally different concepts.

Sorry Brother. I never studied Francais - just Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. Thanks for correcting me.

Cumsamnida,

Italian Chef

Actually, let me correct both of us. You meant to say 'bye', right? In that case it's 'au revoir'.

Khomalro and Khamsahnidah.

FusionDude,

You're quite the linguist. Keep it up and someday you'll get a great job.

Italian Chef

Hi all,

I just found this site today, and saw the listing of all the things you all miss fomr the park, man am I old, I havent been to the park since 1983 just before I deployed overseas with the ARMY, never have been back to visit family during the summer, always been a winter trip.

After looking over the postings I have to say the things I miss other than the WHOLE park, would be the Screamin Demon, The Bat, Enchanted Voyage, and the Keel Boats..........man they have taken out alot of GREAT rides. And yes Im old enough to remmeber going to the park in the days when The Bat and Screamin Demon werent even there yet. I also miss the one that was over by The Racers, cant remmeber the name but it was the one where you got to control the flight of your car by moving the big rudder in and out, used to spend all day riding that and couldnt tell you the name to save me.

Am I understanding also from this that they dont do Winterfest anymore? What happened to all the high school Chiors that used to preform there, including mine... and sneaking over the barriers to run around areas of the park that were closed, and the sometimes sleigh rides on snow, usually on wheels.

Well off to pout now about all the great rides that are missing, the new rides I havent ridden and the park that will never be the same one I grew up in... used to ride over with my grandfather every Wen for the beer run, he was the distributor form Anhyser Bush in Middletown that came over each week and I used to have a game with him for lunch, granted I was 6 or 7 but who ever saw the Efiel Tower first got lunch for free at Scotty burgers.

Will enjoy reading about the park, perhaps I will share some about the parks I have been to during my time in the military, snow sking indoors in Japan was rather intresting.

Micca

PKI may not be the park it once was but it is still a great park today. Bladeplay you should give it a try.

I didn't goto the park till 1993 so it was after linder had his run of the place what I miss most is Cobra. 1st standup and watching my brother scream in pain!

I don't miss KCKC I hated that ride.

I think Oktoberfest is in a kinda sad state right now too. It was also one of the most atmospheric areas of the park and that odl world charm is almost all gone in that area too.

My two favorite areas of the park to just stroll and take in the atmosphere is the Rivertown area and Internationale Street. the gaslamps in the rivertown area are very nice and I hope they stick around. I was sad to see that they removed the gas lamps at the entrance to the park (as well as the hideous yellow and pruple color scheme. the old world European motif seemed much more appropiate)

And I love just getting a slice of pizza and sitting by the fountains on Internationale Street at night. I'm not sure if management realizes that there are things other than the rides that contribute to the enjoyment of the park. I really hope they do.

Cris

I agree, they could do a whole lot more to improve the theming...Oktoberfest really doesn't consist of anything more than the two restaraunts now, compared to the many flat rides it used to have. As for Action Zone, I'm sorry, but the whole area seems like such a , how should I say this......sell out.

However, it could be a whole lot worse. I was at Six Flags America last month, and I was amazed at, while the rides were very good on the whole, the whole place seemed like Action Zone, except with Warner Brothers. There seemed to be no pacing, no decent midways, just a bunch of rides scrunched together without much atmosphere, except at the front area of the park, which was barely enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to say that I miss Phantom Theater the most. Of course I do miss the smurf ride too, but the ironic thing is that if the smurf ride wasn't taken out there would have been no Phantom Theater.

I miss the Winterfest thing to. I remember being about four or five years old and eating gingerbread cookies on International Street near the tower.

• 8 years later...