batty begining's to the new year

rotag

well i slacked off enough, so now im gettin to that NYE ptr i promissed. i didnt hve plans this year, & since a majority of the people that i wanted to hang with was in gatlinburg, i made last min. decision to go somewhere. i was lacking the time it needed to make the trek there & back, i decided a more closer to home approach was necissary. i booked a cabin in horse cave, ky. while i would be down there, i would go cave'n.

i got off work wed.30,09 & went straight home to pack. i loaded up the truck & began my trip.

SANY1007.jpg

SANY1008.jpg

SANY1009.jpg

SANY1010.jpg

you can kinda see the ferris wheel for SFKK.

SANY1011.jpg

SANY1012.jpg

SANY1013.jpg

SANY1014.jpg

SANY1015.jpg

SANY1018.jpg

i go to the gift shop & see this, which made me chuckle.

SANY1045.jpg

some memmorabillia they had

SANY1046.jpg

SANY1048.jpg

SANY1049.jpg

SANY1050.jpg

SANY1051.jpg

SANY1052.jpg

SANY1053.jpg

& begins my tour, i will not show all of what i took, that i will leave for ya'lls when you visit, & some of them didnt turn out so well.

SANY1054.jpg

SANY1055.jpg

SANY1065.jpg

SANY1073.jpg

SANY1082.jpg

SANY1086.jpg

SANY1087.jpg

SANY1091.jpg

the tour guide was both sassy & like i little mrs. obvious, her name was crystal, i like her style of humor.

SANY1093.jpg

yes, i was givin permision to touch this. she said even though they protect there caves and have a no touch policy, there are really tight spots in the caves were the would rather you touch it instead of falling down and hurting yourself.

SANY1094.jpg

after here i stopped by a place called BIG MIKES and it was home of BIG MOE.

SANY1097.jpg

SANY1098.jpg

i think i found him.

SANY1132.jpg

SANY1134.jpg

bathrooms inside the cave

SANY1137.jpg

SANY1138.jpg

the water stick

SANY1143.jpg

SANY1148.jpg

its like a que-line in the cave.

SANY1159.jpg

SANY1166.jpg

SANY1170.jpg

my second cave tour of the day was funner than the first. i had to take a 10min bus ride to get to entrance of second cave tour. he drove so fast that it felt like i was riding a coaster.

SANY1172.jpg

My family and I went to Mammoth Caves probably 10 years ago, and I remember going into the gift store and seeing the word "Kentucky" hanging crooked on the wall. It bugged me to no end. lol Good to see even after all these years it still has yet to be fixed. :)

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/rotag1299/SANY1166.jpg

Thanks for posting. 7 of us in my family went down there in September and stayed in one of the cabins in the park, right across the parkinglot from the visitor's center. It was GatorGirl's fist time in a cave, and she liked it. We did two separate tours, and yes, I was able to squeeze through Fat Man's Misery, even as it got narrower and narrower and shorter and shorter so that we all were walking hunched over (except for GatorGirl of course, who couldn't understand what some in our group were fussing about). :lol:

Thanks Rotag1299 for the report. I seen on Facebook that you where there and I enjoyed the pictures then to. I had not been to that area since I was about 8-9 years old, so your trip actually has gotten me to look into taking the family down for a weekend trip, hopefully this off season. Thanks for sharing your experience on such a cool place.

Thanks for the reminder, I am planning to keep it to mostly the cave tours and save the other activities for when we head to Dollywood later in the year. The thing is the caves run close to the same temperatures in the winter as they do in the Summer, so I think it would be a good choice to help get the family out during the winter months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember going to Diamond Caves when I was going to school at WKU. Kinda wish they still allowed wedding at the chapel in there.....

Next time you go down, head to Hidden River Cave. When I went, the water level was too high to take the tour, but to see water rising from the ground, and the ecology around there, it was something else.

That looks like it must have been a lot of fun! If you are into that kind of thing ,you should go up to Hocking Hills, if you havent already been there, haha :D. Its great! my favorite is old man's cave.

Also, if you do go there, try and get into the zipline tour. Its amazing! there are about 10 zips, the highest is about 100ft off the ground, adn the longest is about 2 football fields.

Thanks for the report! hope you had a good time! :)