Son of Beast needs work BADDD!

adbort

Today 8/18 I took a trip back to my home park Paramount's Kings Island. I rode Son of Beast for the first time since June, since it was closed on my last visit last month. But from my last ride in June it was terrible. The whole train was shaking worse then I ever remember. (By the way I normally always ride in 6-3 and yes I know it's a wheel seat but normally it wasn't this bad.) I think something really needs to be done with SOB but what? The trains for one need to go, maybe retracked sections. But if Son of Beast keeps this up someone may get hurt. What do yo uall think? huh.gifunsure.gif

Honestly people, what do you expect from a wood coaster going 78.3 miles per hour??? Crap, I mean I've ridden wood coasters like Wolfbob or whatever at Worlds of Adventure that only go like 50 mph that are rougher. Get over it people...the ride is rough, its in the nature of a wood coaster, especially one going that dang fast. And as far as i'm concerned no one is going to get hurt, HECK, I've never EVER heard of anyone getting hurt on SOB.

I've never heard of anyone being hurt either, except for bloody noses and stuff like that. I'm sure the park IS concerned with people getting hurt though, that's a little thing called RESPONSIBILITY. You see, the park is responsible for the safety of the guests. Hence the fact that when people get hurt or killed they get sued like crazy. Paramount is a gold mine, not to mention Viacom. A lot of people complain about the SOB because of the turbulance. On the other hand, a lot of people love it just for that fact. It's in the eye of the beholder. I agree with you that a wooden coaster going over 70mph is going to be turbulent, and the fact that it drops you over 200ft doesn't help, but it doen't hurt to wish that the ride wasn't overly tubulant. In my opinion, it would make the ride a lot more fun.

It's not even about the turbulence...It's mainly about the trains in my opinion - you shouldn't be black & blue when you get off an AMUSEMENT park ride. The last time I rode SOB was at the beginning of last season and that will be the last time unless they make some changes...My knees were sore for days, both of them were bruised black & blue. That's just not right. Of course it won't be a "smooth" ride, but it shouldn't be painful either!

Edited by SML828

Of the two times I've ridden SOB, I was signifigantly bruised on it the second time, and I have sworn that I will not ride it again until there are real changes.

I understand that some like the ride rough, but since it's such a signature ride now, couldn't they stand to make it just a touch less painful? The purpose of riding a roller coaster is, as someone here said, AMUSEMENT. I am not amused when it hurts to walk or sit following a ride.

Edited by Crazy31088

Someone wants attention ATTENTION BAAAAAAD. I've seen this posted on at least 3 different boards. ;-)

Anyway, a wooden coaster's construction is never complete. Wooden coasters deliver unique and varying rides each time you take a spin. So the ride can improve/worsen depending upon how "tight" the structure may be.

Anyways, I learned a long time ago that I hate peas. Since I don't like them, I avoid eating them. I think the same holds true here. If you don't like it, dont' ride it.

There are several coasters I avoid because I do not like them. So until I hear that a major change has been made to improve them, I prefer to spend time on other rides that deliver what I am looking for.

Shaggy

Shaggy -

On one hand I agree with you - avoid things you don't like...Which I have been avoiding SOB....However, I do like the ride itself - as in the track layout - the ride itself....it's the comfort factor...Obviously it's not going to be the smoothest ride in the world, partially because it's a coaster, but mainly because (as you said) it is a WOODEN coaster...but there has to be someway to modify those trains...More leg room, something...I'd almost rather have shoulder harnesses if it meant you wouldn't be squeezed as tight - I don't know if that's a factor in the construction of the trains or not...I know safety is always an issue. I've been on coasters where they have a couple cars in each train that are slightly modified for bigger/taller people...Maybe that would help? Maybe it wouldn't, I don't know...

Oh yea, this topic has come up many times on various boards...maybe that means it's a real issue for people - maybe some people do just want attention.

I don't know...Just some thoughts...

Crap, I mean I've ridden wood coasters like Wolfbob or whatever at Worlds of Adventure that only go like 50 mph that are rougher.

Raging Wolf Bobs @ WoA is not even close to the same league as SoB. SoB has a problem and PKI has to deal with it. For example: how often is the line longer than The Beast or FoF? Being how unique the ride is, the wait should always be longer.

There are only a small handful of guests that can tolerate SoB, that in itself, is more than enough reason to try and make it a ride that more people can go on.

Ok, I'm a seasoned SOB rider having ridden it over 200 times, I'm also over 6'2". Now conventional thinking would say that thats a bad combination..right. But, over time I have learned how to ride the coaster, and I feel that, other than replacing the cars and/or making some track changes, knowing how to ride it should significantly reduce the pain factor. I'm sure that some of you have heard these tips before...but to reiderate, to avoid the ever so painful knee knocking against the non padded handle, cross your legs as much as possible. Second, If you are squemish about over turbulance always ride the center row of each car...the back is fine as well for I feel it gives some of the best stomach rattling..but never ride the front car, it will tear you up. So I feel that if two of those rules are posted and made clear perhaps the pain factor can be reduced a bit. So take it from me if a tall person can consitantly ride the Son without major pain, anyone can.

But a significant point that needs to be raised is that typical guests are not educated prior to riding. A successful coaster should not rely on it's riders to learn to ride defensively.

SOB is not a smooth coaster by any stretch of the imagination. It is liked by some, hated by others. I think I am in the minority because my opinion is somewhere in the middle. It is hardly the best I have ridden, hardly the worst. I am nearing my 300th coaster and have had much worse rides on woodies than SOB. So IMO it is all in how you look at it.

Part of the reason I have had bad rides on much worse coasters is because in order to get a good ride, you must ride defensively. If the coaster is unfamiliar to you, or new to you, then you have no idea prior to boarding just how to prepare yourself throughout the ride.

SOB suffers that fate with those than have not "learned" the ride. The argument here is, you should not have to "learn" to ride a coaster. A novice should be able to hop in and enjoy.

Shaggy

I would just like to point out one thing here: a lot of people say that they rode last (insert month here) and didnt like it then, and that person rerode it (insert date here) and it was worse. If you didnt like it the first time, why did ya ride it again? It doesnt make sense to me.

PKI knows whats wrong with the ride. By sitting here on now multiple boards saying how bad it is isnt making the ride any better. If you wish to express your opinion to the park, go to guest relations. But telling other people who have no connection to the park how bad it is doesnt fix anything.

First of all I'm not trying to get attention, second I never said I hated Son of Beast. I really love the Son of Beast but all i'm stating is that yesterday was the worse ride I had on it this far. I've been riding it quite a few times since 2000.

I'm just gonna add my two cents in for the heck of it.

I am fifteen years old. I am 6'4" 200 pounds. Now this is what I do everytime I visit the park. I always ride Son of Beast at least once a day. Then if it gives a bad ride I don't ride it again that visit. I have realized that SOB gives off a different ride everytime I ride it, so I at least give it a chance. Also I have figured out (from my own experiences) the colder it is, the smoother it has been for me. For example, Opening Day 2002; around 45* outside and Son of Beast was smooth as glass. I rode it about 3 times that day. If the ride gives a bad ride, sure I get off limping and cussing and moaning; then of course I come here and complain, but it's not all that bad.

I've riden SOB when it was extemely rough, then I rode it an it was almost smooth as glass (well compaired to normal), then it would be back to being rough. The ride is always different. It all depends on when you ride, what the weather conditions have been like recently and what maintenance was done.

Ok, so let me get this straight. You get online saying that you had one bad ride on SOB, but you still like it. Im sorry, but thats nothing special. I get bad rides on a lot of rides, but I dont get online and preach about it. Just let the great wood coaster division at PKI do their trick. It just might take them a little longer than you would like. They will eventually get the job done.

I had heard somewhere that there was another company that was originally supposed to build SOB. That's when PKI took over. Isn't it possible that they (PKI) were really not prepared or skilled enough to build this one? Maybe the other company could have done a better job. I've also heard rumors that they had to replace quite a bit of the wood initially because it was inferior. Anyone know? All I know is that if you use inferior materials, you will have an inferior ride with many problems. Just my .02.

• Like 1

PKI knows whats wrong with the ride. By sitting here on now multiple boards saying how bad it is isnt making the ride any better. If you wish to express your opinion to the park, go to guest relations. But telling other people who have no connection to the park how bad it is doesnt fix anything.

I am not trying to start anything, but, what are the forums here for? People give there opinions, and talk about likes and dislikes. Saying that we should not talk about the problems and go to guest relations, is just like saying if you really enjoy something, don't talk about it here, go to guest relations as well.

Many of us do not have connections to the park, is it wrong for us to praise the park as well?

You know what SOB needs more than anything? A tunnel. The Beast's tunnels help make it the amazing ride that it is. Shouldn't its Son have at least one? Yea the first drop on SOB is incredible, but just think if you dropped through a tiny stone tunnel a la Beast. Just a thought.

As for the roughness factor, don't expect new trains anytime soon because SOB's track is a good deal wider than the average woodie, so you can't use the same old PTC trains like Beast and Racer. I still don't know why PKI enlisted Premier to design the SOB trains, given their lack of success with the FOF trains (which are much better now though, I might add, even though it sucks checking those seatbelts :)

For now, just ride in good old 6-2 and enjoy a freaking awesome, almost smooth ride.

JKrue

I am not trying to start anything, but, what are the forums here for? People give there opinions, and talk about likes and dislikes. Saying that we should not talk about the problems and go to guest relations, is just like saying if you really enjoy something, don't talk about it here, go to guest relations as well.

Many of us do not have connections to the park, is it wrong for us to praise the park as well?

I totally agree with you. I've been jumped on here many times for expressing opinions. In all reality, these forums are a great thing. I mean, if it weren't for PKIU, I probably would think that I was the only person getting hurt on SOB. If you guys really think they should so something, we should start a drive in which every time we visit the park, we ride the ride (to give it a fair chance) and if it's overly turbulant, or you get hurt, let 'em know about it. Perhaps PKI doesn't know that people are uncomfortable on it. I agree with whoever said that saying stuff on here doesn't help...to an extent at least. It's up to us to actually take action.

-Ryan

p.s. To whoever suggested that SOB needs a tunnel -- that's an awsome idea!

I had heard somewhere that there was another company that was originally supposed to build SOB. That's when PKI took over. Isn't it possible that they (PKI) were really not prepared or skilled enough to build this one? Maybe the other company could have done a better job. I've also heard rumors that they had to replace quite a bit of the wood initially because it was inferior. Anyone know? All I know is that if you use inferior materials, you will have an inferior ride with many problems. Just my .02.

RCCA did build it. They cut corners everywhere and didn't go off the blue prints. The desginer said he didn't even wanna have his name anywhere near this ride. They also got bad wood. PKI's crew knows what there doing its better than it was in 2000. They had it running great a few weeks ago. The brakes in the MCBR were off or light trim and the lift seemed to have been sped up a bit. We also Road in wheel seats and it was great and airtime on the 1st drop was great for that ride. It was running faster and not shuffleboarding in the helix. People were cheering instead of rubbing there necks. No trackwork was involved with this.

Today 8/18 I took a trip back to my home park Paramount's Kings Island. I rode Son of Beast for the first time since June, since it was closed on my last visit last month. But from my last ride in June it was terrible. The whole train was shaking worse then I ever remember. (By the way I normally always ride in 6-3 and yes I know it's a wheel seat but normally it wasn't this bad.) I think something really needs to be done with SOB but what? The trains for one need to go, maybe retracked sections. But if Son of Beast keeps this up someone may get hurt. What do yo uall think? huh.gifunsure.gif

I agree my friend and I rode it he said it was alot aorse this year than last. ph34r.gif

blah, blah, blah.

Take the wooden track off. Get rid of the goofy trains. Add steel track to it. Add two more trains. Add another lift and another 1000 feet for a new record.

Then you have a new coaster that will draw crowds.

Also,...no one gets major injuries on the ride? My friend rode it Monday, first time last seat, loved it. Second time first seat last car. When he got of the ride he had difficulty breathing.

Today, after an x-ray, he has one cracked rib and may be out of commision for weeks.

Perhaps PKI should have let the professionals complete the coaster instead of taking over and half-*ssing the job.

Edited by upstop

if people arent getting hurt on the launch on dragster, mean streak at Cedar Point [which sounds horrible when riding and is rougher than sob], X flight with all that flipping [sick], tr:tr when it breaks down and keeps spinning, raging wolf bobs [which is too rough], etc,i dont think theyll get hurt on SOB

WHY do you people all complain? It's a fast wooden coaster, it's not that rough really. I love it personally. MAybe if you have a crippled body and get hurt easily you think its rough, or maybe your just weak and need your nice little smooth rides. SOB was its roughest around last year, and now its getting better

At this rate it should be ready to ride come the 2008 season. Plus, have you seen any attraction at PKI that is actually in excellent condition? Paint, structure, queue. Not really, they put the attraction in to draw crowds.....set it and forget it. If it weren't for the major overhaul on the first curve on The Beast it would be a nightmare as well.

Whoa guys. You're all cracking me up here. Alright, to set some stuff straight:

Beastfreak is right about the ride always giving off a different feel. Depending on weather, and even to the weight of the train its always going to be differnt. Dont expect it to be the same every time you ride it.

Mr. Captain Pico dude, the thing is a lot smoother than last year if you ask me, and just about any other person who rides the thing reguraly (like a couple times a day) i bet would agree.

7D - I severly doubt that they had another company that was going to build it and then pki took over, simply becuase ANOTHER COMPANY DID BUILD IT. RCCA did....but in conjunction with Werner Stengal desiging it, and PKI's world class team of carpenters and some outside contracting company who brought in more carpenters.

JKRue - you are right and i respect the fact that you know what you are actually talking about, with PTC and all, and the fact that SOB is not going to get new trains, i mean think about it...Beast and Racer are using the same trains they opened with decades ago.

And for you boodah im positive that PKI isnt dumb, i'm pretty friggin sure that they know the ride isnt as smooth as glass... Going and complaing to guest relatinos will not get anything accomplished.

OK. Now for you sobrider, you are the most wrong of everyone...you literally have no idea what you are talking about. RCCA didnt cut corners building the thing...its not like you can just throw blueprints out and just start nailing wood together...i mean crap, they're so much engineering involved if something was one inch off the whole ride would be offset. I dont know where you heard that but thats got to be some of the most ridiculous stuff i've ever heard. AND for someones sake guys...the MCBR or whatever you call them brakes out there dont change. just trust me on this aight??? they're always the same. ALWAYS. They are the same. and i have a pretty good hint of a clue that the lift doesnt randomly speed up and slow down either. I dont know where you're getting this stuff from, but its really sad. and about trackwork...i guess you might be right, but you have no evidence of that. are you just making stuff up????? Common Pat, stop typing stuff up that you have no evidence of.

Kinos, maybe you misunserstood me. I was not stating anything as factual, just what I heard. I thought maybe that was also a contributing factor in the problems with SOB. You doubt someone else took over, yet have no proof that no one did. sobrider, why did the designer not want to have his name anywhere near the ride? Was it due to all the cost cutting?