Coney Island Turnpike 1958

coneyrat

Very nice find! Thanks for sharing such a great video. Its always nice to see the history of Coney Island and such a classic attraction!

Notice that the turnpike did NOT use a center rail like the Antique Cars at Kings Island. Instead, the track was bounded on both sides by a guard rail for the entire route.

• Like 1

Ahh yes the Streco turnpike, they were made just north of Cincinnati in Middletown Ohio by Streifthau Manufacturing. They were so much fun, that my uncle rode them all the time in a clown outfit. The proof is in the video at 53 sec. Uncle Jim is the one with the yellow umbrella and Hobo face. This was some sort of promotional day, maybe opening day but I'm not sure. That was the only reason he would do it is for some thing special.

• Like 1

There are no bridges on Lake Como currently. The bridges that the train used to pass under the parking lot road NEXT to Lake Como are still there out by Gate 1 and the employee parking lot. (The corner of the lake at the extreme opposite side of the Ferris Wheel).

Thanks. I first noticed that bridge a few years ago, and now I finally know what it's function was. *Yay*smile.gif

So did the turnpike actually go out into Lake Como? It looks that way at about the 1:00 mark in the video. I've built plenty of go-cart tracks in RCT that go out into bodies of water, but I didn't know any parks had ever done anything like that. That's sweet!

The below image comes from Cincinnati Views. A great website with tons of historical Coney pictures and postcards found here, as well as lots of great historical pictures of the Cincinnati area. I highly recommend you check out the site if you get the chance.

Lake%20Como%202.jpg

So yes, the turnpike actually went out into Lake Como. Most of the way, via a land bridge, but there was an actual bridge that allowed the canoes on the lake to pass under and have access to the entire lake. To give you some reference, the building next to the Turnpike Station is Lakeside Pavilion, which still stands today. It is now home to Coney`s three lives shows. The Ferris Wheel is now located in the grassy area just outside the station. River Runner is located approximately where the actual station building was located. The train station is located about where the Scrambler and Tempest are located today.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

I think a ride like this would be a big hit at Coney if it were installed again.  It would fit the demographic they are going for nicely.  I still miss the Antique car ride at Kings Island as it was a ride that could be enjoyed by people of all ages.  Young kids and grandparents alike.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Which means at some point the cars were replaced.

And they appear to have been replaced yet again when a Turnpike was built at Kings Island.

RkxoXqg.jpg

(from this thread: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/24760-standing-within-3-feet-of-1974/)

I'm somewhat surprised Taft didn't just reuse all the Coney turnpike cars for the similar ride at Kings Island.

• Like 4