A question for enthusiasts...

Coney Islander

I've been wondering lately how many members consider themselves coaster enthusiasts. I'm debating wether I am one for numerous reasons...

I know so much more about flat rides than Roller Coasters. Last summer, I memorized every flat ride design I could, but I wouldn't consider myself a flat ride enthusiast. (I used the flatrides.com list)

Another thing, I am much more passionate about Dark Rides than roller coasters. I think roller coasters are fun, but, for me, nothing beats the experience a dark ride (or any highly themed attraction) gives.

What do you think about being an enthusiast?

I guess I would consider myself an enthusiast of the over all amusement/theme park experience. I am not much on most flats because spinning things tend to make me ill, but I love coasters, dark rides and water rides. I would almost consider myself an enthusiast to the overall entertainment/amusement industry because I get the same kind of feeling going to the movies, a cool bar or place to eat. It's all break from the everyday and that is what I like.

I am DEFINITELY a coaster enthusiast. I love to use RCDB and Wikipedia to study them and I love to ride them.

I also put that I'm a KI enthusiast. It's the park I've been to the most and the park I know the most about.

Amusement park - Yes, because I'm ALWAYS interested in going to a new park or a park that I know I like and look forward to going to that park.

Train - Funny you mentioned this one. I rode KI & MVRR nine times last season and found that each ride relaxed me. If I go to a new park I simply MUST ride their railroad if they have one (Even if it's just a kids' railroad.). I still have to complete the circuit for CP's railroad and I still have to ride SFKK's and Holiday World's railroads. I didn't get to ride the one at Jungle Jack's Landing because it wasn't running. sad.gif

Other - The thing my friends and I talk about the most is professional wrestling. I've been to one WWE pay-per-view, try to watch Raw every Monday night, and have been to COUNTLESS shows on the independent circuit. I've calmed down with wrestling ever since I became interested in coasters, but I still know more than the average person does about it.

I'd say I'm an enthusiast, when I could tell just by listening to a coaster for the first time that it had PTC trains, without even looking at the trains.. I also immediately identified a GCI without knowing that it was one.. I had 3 season passes and a coaster club membership card in my wallet last year.. and when I saw Ninja at Six Flags STL for the first time, I immediately said "that looks like a cross between a Vekoma and an Arrow" without knowing that it indeed is.. I've sacrificed sleep many times to go to amusement parks.. RCDB is in my drop down menu of most visited websites.. I could go on and on..

Let's see here.

-Majority of my wardrobe is Coaster Shirts

-I have a 1'x10' desktop full of my park memorabilia, and it's already full

-I will not take a 3 week vacation if it means no coasters for 3 weeks

-The idea of any high temperature below 40* frightens me

-My bookmarks on chrome are, in order: Google, KIC, Facebook, Cedar Point, Kings Island, Intimidators, Screamscape, Photobucket, RCDB, Coastergallery, Coasterimage, imdb, Youtube, CoasterCrazy, NoLimits Exchange, Sycamore Schools, and The Point Online

-I will sacrifice personal files for space on my Computer for RCT3

Yea, I'd say I'm an enthusiast! B)

I'll do what Jackson did.

-About 60% of all my shirts in my closet have something to do with coasters.

-My room has 6 coaster posters on the wall (Don't have room for anymore because of windows, doors, and my giant futon bed I hate.

-The side of my closet without clothes in it is filled with Amusement Park related items.

-I often capitalize the letters of amusement park related words that don't need capitalized, but I think they are so important that they do need capitalized.

-My 'favorites' on Firefox are (in order)- KIExtreme, KICentral, Ataricommunity, RCDB, Facebook, Youtube, Negative-G, Theme Park Review, Coaster101, Coasterforce. And soon #1 should be a new Indiana Beach forum!

-Most vacations my family goes on HAS to include a trip to a Theme Park!

-As soon as I get home from school I go straight to KICentral and see if any thing interesting is going on, than go to all my other 'favorites.'

-I have photo frames on my computer desks, and inside them is not pictures of my family or friends, but instead photos of roller coasters!

i voted yes for being a coaster enthusiast (73 and counting) but i would say its more of a hobby. i just enjoy going places i've never been before, and travel in general. i LOVE coasters, but i also love SPORTS. i try to go to a new stadium 2 or 3 times a year. i cant say the same about parks. if there is a coaster or park within driving distance of the place i'm heading, i'm bound to check it out... but i just enjoy following all the new development, coaster and industry news on a weekly basis. just a hobby for me.

I love traveling as well.. not just to amusement parks, but I'm also a history nerd. I have a fascination with any place or landmark that has history. Anyone who read my STL trip report or heard me talk about it knows that the Gateway Arch was my favorite part of the trip, yes, even over Six Flags.. I welcome any invitation to a drag race strip or car show.. I make my own jewelry.. I am an animal and nature lover, and I enjoy zoos, nature preserves, state parks and aquariums as much as I enjoy amusement parks.. and with over 1100 songs on my iPod, I will say that I am a music lover too.. I also enjoy sampling new and interesting foods from different countries, cultures, and cities.. I also enjoy new activities and learning to do new things.. there is so much that I am enthusiastic about, it would take me all day to tell you..

I did not consider myself an enthusiast until after I joined this site. I then realized what others told me, that I was obsessed with going to KI and other parks like most everyone here. I started learning the industry and about the ride manufactures. For the year I have been on this site I think I have learned a lot, and feel I can talk a lot more intelligently about KI and the industry then I ever thought possible. Thanks to all who share the same passion on KIC!

-I have posters of roller coasters all over my walls.

-I have a Kings Island Park Map from 1980 on my wall.

-I have a limited edition poster of Diamondback right above my desk.

-I have 4 different roller coaster books.

-I love to draw random layouts of roller coasters in the middle of class.

Yeah, I'm a roller coaster enthusiast and a little bit of a KI enthusiast.

I love to ride roller coasters but Im really not an enthusiasts. I got to Kings Island about 20-25 times a year and Cedar Point 4 times a year. This year I'm not going to Cedar Point and trying to hit up a few different parks. But I love for customizing cars. I really wish I would have went to school for this but my knownledge on how to do some of these things is limited. Mostly mechincal stuff I have to take to a shop but I can do brakes. You can check my current project at the link below. I trying to find an old cutless I can fix up.

Music- listening to, writing, performing.

My daughter. I had no idea how good being a dad would be and she is way more fun than your average kid (I'm a school counselor so I have a few to compare her to).

KIC- I'm on here more than I would like to admit

Remodeling- mostly my house and a business property we're working on

I do consider myself a Coaster Enthusiast. Something just pulls me to Amusement Parks or wherever coasters may be. I am also an avid KI Enthusiast and love to learn stuff I have never known about the park. Kings Island is my favorite park and also my home park. I also love Cedar Point and go every time the opportunity greets me. I consider myself as well a History Enthusiast. I am currently majoring in History Teaching here at Eastern Kentucky University. I am also an avid Sports fan. I love Duke basketball with an un-dying passion, Penn State Football, Boston Red Sox Baseball (Baseball being my favorite sport), and I am a big Alex Ovechkin fan. My most passionate love though would be for Amusement Parks, Roller Coasters, and most importantly Kings Island.

• 1 month later...

I haven't really decided. I love coasters and want to ride as many as possible, but I don't know much about different designs, manufacturers, etc. I have played RCT3 some as well.

I am an enthusiast of various other things - Archie Comics, storm sirens (yeah, I know... I'm weird :P) and driving - I love driving around exploring areas and uncovering hidden gems in those areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to add my "other" response.

Aside from amusement parks, I'm an enthusiast when it comes to:

trying new foods

going new places/traveling

historical places

vehicles

football

hockey

wrestling

photography

nature

music

architecture

Watch me at a car show, an aquarium, or the Gateway Arch. You will see me having just as much fun as I do at an amusement park.

The list goes on. I used to be a very shy, very hesitant person up until junior high school. I broke out of my shell and decided to be a daring person who loved to try new things, and I haven't stopped since. I have found enjoyment in almost all areas of life.

I do consider me a enthusiest about 85% of my wardrobe is coaster themed I have numerous KI memorbilia new and old every electronic I have has a coaster as its background im willing to travel across the country to ride I am at any park at least 4 to 5 times a day and a whole bunch of other things oh and plus ACE.