Opening Day Weather

KIfan73

Now that we're less than 90 days from the opening day of Kings Island's 2010 season, I thought I'd take a look at what the weather may be like on April 17.

Here are the stats (according to Wunderground) from the last ten April 17ths in the Mason area (I'm a bit of a statistics nerd):

Year High Temp rainfall

09 72 0"

08 75 0" **edit** was thinking the 17th was O.D.

07 70 0"

06 68 1.42"

05 68 1.42"

04 82 0"

03 64 .07"

02 82 .33

01 42 .07

00 54 .13

Averages

68 .34"

I used to only get one trip to Six Flags New England a year when I lived in Connecticut. I would be watching the weather as soon as I could and start planning. I would change my plans everyday because the weather would. It is so hard to plan theme park trips around weather but whether it rains or not I will be there opening day!

I agree. Ohio has some of the most bizarre weather around. I love to travel and what not and always constantly get weather updates as much as I can while traveling so I know what im in for. but nothing so far that i can remember beats ohio weather...but im gonna make a guess..im gonna guess that it will be a light drizzle of rain on and off throughout the day with a temp of........58-62 degrees...now watch since I made my prediction I will be completely wrong lol...

I lived in upstate NY and the weather was consistent up until april/may it seems those months are crazy for all the states. My guess for opening day 2010? 45-50 degree, 6-10 mph wind gusts, and rain off and on could turn to snow later in the evening..... Just going by how the weather seemed to hit much later this year than normal....

The past few years it has been pretty warm outside for opening days, and last year it was pretty sunny. I will be going opening day, but I'm honestly not extremely excited. I mean I am happy to get to go back to KI, but with last years opening day, I doubt any upcoming year will beat it. Waking up hours before the park opened and standing for hours was incredible. I would do just about anything to relive that day.

• 2 months later...

According to Wunderground, the weather for Saturday is looking like it is going to be chilly during the ERT time, about 50 degrees it appears. Then as the day progresses on it looks like it is going to warm up to almost 60 degrees. Also giving a 10-20% chance of precipitation all day, looks like it is going to be a little chilly on Saturday at the Island.

Final Forecast Reading (As of 4/13)-Partly Sunny, Highs in the lower 60's.

And 59 degrees is the HIGH. By 9:00 when I go, it may be in the 30s. Bad luck......right now it's 77 degrees. The one day I want to go somewhere, the one day that I'm excited for, is going to be a high of 59. I know weather can't help itself, but I'm mad at it! :angry:

Noooooo! They are calling for rain on my weekend trip the 23rd-25th!!!

Why me!?

Reason to worry about a weather forecast for 13 days in the future - Zero.

I have had so many nights when we've expected huge snow storms overnight and I've woken up with literally not a flake on the ground. And I think to myself, "I understand if they say 8" and it ends up being 3", but to say 8" and it doesn't even snow?!" You can't even trust weather reports for the next day; there's absolutely no reason to start worrying about a weather forecast almost two weeks away. Honestly.

I'll be those days, too. And if it does end up sprinkling, there will be way less people anyway.

^ I agree with you, to an extent.

Generally the weather forecast is right when it is predicting clear weather. This make sense because if there are no storms/showers to the west, how would it rain the next day? I agree that predicting rain/snow is a little tricky, if there is a storm, it could break apart.

Having said that, seeing a clear forecast is obviously ideal (and for the reasons mentioned above, pretty much a lock), seeing a rainy forecast sucks, because while it's not as ironclad, it does say that there's trouble brewing to the west that may or may not strike (chance of precipitation).

Noooooo! They are calling for rain on my weekend trip the 23rd-25th!!!

Why me!?

I got my poncho ready if that be the case :)

Anyway, even the hour-by-hour on the day of can be inaccurate (nearly every Friday in October was wrong for CP, but it helped keep the crowds light.)

According to Wunderground.com, opening day weather is as follows. High-56 Low-36. Starting at 8 in the morning it's supposed to a baumy 41 degrees but warm up to 50 by 11 and then peak out at 54-56 through 4 o clock. Then as closing time approaches, supposed to get down to 48 by 11. Overall though, not a horrible day in the park.

So, the forecast is still looking miserable for this upcoming Friday/Saturday/Sunday. I've been checking Accuweather, weather.com, wunderground, and the local news there in Mason and they're all showing rain all three days.

I'm sure some have experienced rain at the park, are there any rides they run during a sprinkle? Does it ever rain all day, three days in a row? It's sooo depressing to even ask that question sad.gif

I'm even wondering if I should try to push my reservation back a week, though I would only be able to go Sat and Sun, vs all three days this week...