White Water Canyon's 25th Birthday

dustyj1986

2010 marks White Water Canyon's 25th Birthday. Installed for the 1985 operating season this ride has assured "You will get wet. You may get soaked". This post is a hat's off to Kings Island's 3rd water attraction. Share your pictures, stories or plans to take part of this attraction's 25th Birthday!

I have so many memories on White Water, I have operated it and used to be one of the rides that I worked maintenance on. I met my wife on the ride back when she was a ride operator, she saw me changing a seat belt on the ride and asked a co-worker if I was single. Happy 25th WWC

Just an FYI, this will be WWC's 26th operating season:

1985, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 23, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10

If you count them, that is 26 operating seasons. But yes, this will be 25 years since it opened.

yeah but you dont go around saying its your 27th year of life... you say I am 26 years old........

Just an FYI, this will be WWC's 26th operating season:

1985, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 23, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10

If you count them, that is 26 operating seasons. But yes, this will be 25 years since it opened.

yeah but you dont go around saying its your 27th year of life... you say I am 26 years old........

I mainly made the point so people didn't think think WWC will be operating for the 25th year. Just letting them know if will be WWC's 26th year.

Ahhh, yet another topic that reminds me that I'm getting old! Although I have to say that WWC has remained a great ride at Kings Island for a really long time. I've always enjoyed it, but it had kind of dropped off my rides list until I realized that it was a "new" ride to introduce my son to since he was tall enough last season.

My favorite memory of it - his first, second, and third ride on it back to back to back one evening early last summer.

White Water Canyon. One of my favorite water rides ever!! my favorite story.........

My friends and I went to ki in the middle of the summer, but didnt feel like going to boomerang bay, so we went on WWC.I had my phone, but decided that since I had big side pockets, I could just tuck my phone in there and just sit on top of it. After about 10 rides through we were done. Then we rode th ebeast, and Firehawk. I took out my phone to call my parents, andnone of my buttons were working. Well, they were but they were basically pressing random things, therefore....useless. When igot home, I dried off my phone and put it in rice, and then it wzs fine. :). haha all good.

(Basically a dumb move on my part.) :D

All in all, I love WWC!

Happy B-Day White Water Canyon, here's to 25 more years?

I have a couple of stories on this ride. One being that me and my family rode this one summer night when I was about 12 or 13, I think we rode it 6 times in a row. Well we had to go to the gift shop afterward to buy a change of clothes due to my aunt having a new car and how wet we were. That is where I got my bright yellow Beast shirt.

Story number two would have to be what happened this year. I visited the park on the Monday before July 4th, not expecting a big crowd of course, wrong. The line extended almost all the way back to the first covered bridge you walk over. We waited anyway which made the ride that day just that much more special.

My favorite memory was when I got my grandma of 70 (71 years of operation) to ride it with me. She she said she rode it about 20 years ago, and it was not that bad. I told her she won't get too wet. (I found out later that only on rare ocasions yu do not get too wet.) After we got off she said she would never trust me again. It was funny and I know she had a lot of fun.

My favorite memory was when I got my grandma of 70 (71 years of operation) to ride it with me. She she said she rode it about 20 years ago, and it was not that bad. I told her she won't get too wet. (I found out later that only on rare ocasions yu do not get too wet.) After we got off she said she would never trust me again. It was funny and I know she had a lot of fun.

That is a nice memory. I really want to get one of my grandparents on a roller coaster or a ride, but my Grandma on my Dad's side is in no shape to ride one (paralyzed on one side), and my Grandma on my Mom's side doesn't like coasters. She does LOVE motion simulators and stuff, she lives in Florida and gos to Epcot and Busch Gardens all the time.

WWC is the only ride I have memories of riding with my aunts and grandparents. My grandpa always got the shriner tickets for KI when I was little. When I was about 8-10 years of operation (hey I knew what you meant my grandpa always told me it was my 14th birthday even if I was turning 13, he said hey you had a birthday when you were born) my grandma would point to the trees where everyone put there gum and told me they were gum trees.... When I was little I thought KI grew gum for all of Cincinnati.... It wasnt till I was much older that I realized what just happened.... good old WWC memories... man I would ride with my dad mom sister aunt and grandma while my grandpa would try to soak us as we would go through....

Yea- I know what you mean. If you want to talk "dirty" water-anyone recall Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal? Don't get me wrong-I loved this ride. On the other hand-the last few years of it's operation it was a hot mess.

Oh the picture above, standbyme, with the people in the raft-that photo was taken at Kings Dominion. Only way I could tell was that the font on the raft was Kings Dominion's. I heard the one there blows.. Never been there myself (hopefully go this year!) so I won't put a stamp of approval or dissapproval on their White Water Canyon just yet. :)

ANYONE have any photos of WWC's reservoir drained for off-season? I'd REALLY love to see those!

-dustyj1986

celebrating my 14th year visiting the park in 2010