KENTUCKY KINGDOM CLOSED

Full FAQ here: http://www.sixflags.com/national/footernav...ckykingdom.aspx

February 4, 2010

Kentucky Kingdom Rejects Lease

Park to Close

Six Flags announced today that as it nears the scheduled end of its restructuring process, it has decided to reject its lease with the Kentucky State Fair Board relating to the Kentucky Kingdom park. In recent weeks, Six Flags had proposed a new lease arrangement to the fair board that would have enhanced the viability and future of the park. Unfortunately, those proposals were not accepted and the park will cease operations and the company will move expeditiously to re-locate employees and several of the more than 40 rides and attractions to one of its 13 other markets.

"We are deeply disappointed to be leaving such a great fan base in the greater metropolitan area of Louisville and we are grateful to the thousands of employees at Kentucky Kingdom and the millions of guests for their dedication, support and loyalty over the years," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO.

"This action relates solely to Kentucky Kingdom," Shapiro continued. "The substantial lease

payment has been a significant hurdle for this park in recent years. Our other parks, which reside

largely on company-owned land, will be completely unaffected and will open as scheduled for the full 2010 season."

Wow. Honestly, I'm not too surprised. I didn't exactly see it coming just yet, but in my eyes the park was going downhill, and they removed their biggest attraction. Usually that's a tell-tale sign of what's coming..

I don't know what gives you the impression they do not care...

And it does not say the rides are to be relocated. It says:

We are still making those decisions, since we had been hopeful that we could keep the park open. We know that some of the rides and attractions will be relocated to other parks, though the final details are still being worked out.

I'm sad about the park closing, but I am saddened even more by the loss of jobs in that market. With the economy in shambles anyway, jobs are hard to come by, and now that a huge feature for jobs for teens and college students, where will those get the summer jobs now?

According to the first article, it looks like the full timers are going to be dispersed throughout the other parks, but I will say those who don't want to move are going to have hard times to find new jobs in that market as well. How often does a company need a maintenance worker who specifies in Steel Coaster Maintenance? The wood coaster maintenance guys will have it a little easier to find a job, but I don't know what the demand for carpenters is.

Outside of the Six Flags organization, not yet. If they even do. They are still looking at alternatives. Of course, Chang has already left. Twisted Twins, at last report, was in very poor shape. Coasters may very well be considered part of the real estate if they cannot be removed from the real estate without substantial damage. Much depends on the terms of the lease.

I was bent on going to SFKK next year... I was even planning on buying tickets next weekend... Though I can't say I didn't see this coming.

Even the waterpark?

It would be great if Coney Island were to buy some of the rides, especially if they're 'on sale'. The Flying Dutchman would be great back at Kings Island, but Coney Island doesn't have a circular swing...

Guest rcfreak339

I would assume...

-Roller Skater

-Road Runner

-T2

-Flying Dutchmen (that would be nice to have at KI, Little piece of history there)

Thats all I think will be relocated...

I was sad, but not too surprised, when I found this out. I count myself as one of the few I know who enjoyed that park. I pray that they relocate Greezed Lightnin.. I will seriously shed tears if they scrap it.

The 3 times I went last year, the employees were always friendly, and the park was extremely clean. I will miss the park.

An Important Message for

Kentucky Kingdom

Pass Holders

SFKK08_H_FC.jpg

fb468d19-0.gif73e5549f-e.gif

Dear Valued Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Season Pass and Play Pass Holders:

On behalf of Six Flags and the 55 full-time Kentucky Kingdom employees, I would like to personally thank you for your continued loyalty and support. It has been our honor to provide amazing thrills and lifelong memories to you and your families for the last twelve years.

It is however, with much regret that I inform you that despite multiple attempts to reach a new, fair and equitable lease agreement with the Kentucky State Fair Board, Six Flags has been unable to do so. As a result, Six Flags has rejected the current lease and will be closing Kentucky Kingdom, effective immediately. Please know that this action only affects the Kentucky Kingdom theme park - all nineteen other Six Flags parks will be open for business as usual in 2010, including nearby Six Flags St. Louis and Six Flags Great America in Chicago.

As a reminder, your Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Season Pass and/or Play Pass is valid at any of our Six Flags Theme Parks, as well as Six Flags Mexico and La Ronde Theme Park in Canada. In a few weeks, we will be sending you, via e-mail, four "Bring a Friend Free" tickets valid to any of our Six Flags Theme Parks. These "Bring a Friend Free" tickets will only be valid if you choose to retain your 2010 Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Season Pass.

Information on our other theme parks, locations and operating hours, can be found at www.sixflags.com. For your convenience, we have also developed a "Frequently Asked Questions" page on our website should you have any additional questions.

If you would prefer to return your 2010 Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Season Pass, you can find information on how to obtain a full refund at www.sixflags.com/kentuckykingdom.

Again, I want to thank you for your continued support over the last twelve years, and I hope to see you at another Six Flags park very soon.

Sincerely,

dfde5d9a-1.jpg

Andrew J. Michaelree

President

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Source: Six Flags Theme Parks