KENTUCKY KINGDOM CLOSED

Guest rcfreak339

Kentucky Kingdom is expected to open next year, it's going to be very interesting and exciting to see what happens. The city of Louisville is almost depending on the park to reopen. If I was Kentucky Kingdom and we did indeed get Chang back why would you rebuild it? Why not just sell it for scarp and sell it to another park? I think the park needs to start a new.

They should just repaint Iron Wolf and send that over to KK. That way KK can have the largest collection of sucky coasters.

At one point, Kentucky Kingdom had:

• Chang
  • Greezed Lightnin'
  • Twisted Twins
  • Road Runner Express
  • Thunder Run

Sucky coasters, indeed.

I really hope they get it re-opened. The park has lots of potential, and I liked it, if out of nothing more than pity. I dunno, it seems like a fun little park, and the city needs it.

One of the best summers I have had was the year Kentucky Kingdom became Six Flags. I visited the park 33 times that summer....and rode Twisted Sisters more times than I cared to count.

More than once, I left KI early to go hit KK..and it was not on my way home. To put it mildly. I also left HW to go to KK. I regret not even one of those times.

Terpy, seldom the counting kind

^

When Kentucky Kingdom was Six Flags in the late 90's, it was awsome, but later on in the new millennium, everything just when from funn to bad! I remember when Kentucky Kingdom and Kings Island was sort of like competitors! Kentucky Kingdom was growing really quickly and adding rides and attraction every season! Everyone Thought when it became a Six Flags park, It was going to be more like Kings Island or something.

Guest rcfreak339

In earl 2007 I thought the park was great, but then the accident happened. If it didn't I bet you Six Flags would still be running the park

That would depend on how the Fair Board acted. It took two parties to get to where Six Flags/the Fair Board were with that lease. If Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom had been doing extremely well, the issue of the Fair Board lease would still have been one to examine during the recent Flags bankruptcy. A Six Flags doing well would have resulted in very large payments under that lease...and the bankrupt may still have been advised to reject the lease unless/until the terms were modified...a right it had under the bankruptcy. Remember, only one Six Flags park closed during/as a direct result of the bankruptcy.

Even now, there is an argument to be made that the Fair Board's bumbling is why the park will not open this year. I, for one, think it is far from a lead pipe cinch that it will open next year...or that, if it does, it will so for the long term, as opposed to briefly. I almost think that at some point the Fair Board will get the "bright idea" it can run the park itself, without outside management.

Also, do not forget, the issue of rides ownership appears to not yet be decided...

See especially:

http://www.wave3.com....asp?S=12443484

and, more generally:

http://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=12443263

This is all just save-his-face political posturing.

Did Workman honestly think they could find someone in time to operate this season? If he did... he's totally out of touch.

If he didn't and just wanted to bide some time... then he's lying and simply stringing people along even more.

A few months ago, if I recall, Workman was quoted saying 3 or so park operators had approached him about resuming operations at KK. However this latest round of news quotes has him saying HE'S approached 6 park operators about running the park. Which is it? Are they beating his door down to run it, or is he pounding the pavement to try and find someone?

In that manner, who would, in their right mind, pursue any type of operational agreement for a property that's about to be wrapped up in heavy litigation for Lord knows how long? If someone came to me and said "will you run this park? We'll require a 30 year agreement, and oh, we're suing the previous tenant for their property" I'd probably laugh in their face!

I personally hope SF is granted full ownership (and why not?) of all rides and attractions at the park and yank every single one of them out of there. All this garbage about how monitarily "good" the park is for Louisville is crap. The money earned from the park residing on Sate Fairgrounds gets sent to Frankfort to be distributed throughout the state. So this baloney about how the park was important to Louisville's is a smokescreen. It was important to Workman's bottom line... the KFEC bottom line... which is about to be completely devistated by the loss of KK and U Of L athletics.

Oh sure, hotel rooms got booked because of it. But I'd gather not even close to the $10 mill they claim. KK was never a destination park, it was a day park, so I'd guess the hotel revenue from it to be less than half of what he claims it generated.

Anyone that signs a 30 year lease on state-owned grounds should have their head examined. Anyone that, in the future, builds an attraction on state property should have their pocketbooks ready to cut Workman a check.

I am willing to bet that in another 3 months, Workman will be making the news rounds again saying the same rubbish.

Fact is, the park is gone, and the man is desperate to proove that "they" were the ones that ripped off Louisville. He's even got Ed Hart... who has a shady past... banging his drum for him. I guarantee Ed Hart wants KK back in his grasp but doesn't want to pay for the rides in it. The past prooved that he's that type of guy... wants the goods, but wants someone else to pay the bill...

Shaggy

With Chang having been on Six Flags property what right does the fairgrounds even have to demand it or it's value? Also what if they do find someone to take over, I'm assuming the new owners would have to buy property from SF to have the entire park? Or will there be some serious shadyness in the local government condemning SF's piece of the pie for the "greater good." IMHO if the fair really wanted to save the park they'd make a public offer to Six Flags for their part of the property and entice new owners with incentives. Like profit sharing in place of rent (at least for say 5 years), allowing partial ownership of the rides vs saying you put it here we own it. IE: If a new operator added a $10 million dollar ride during the first year the operator would own the ride in whole but say the fairgrounds would gain 5% ownership per year up to 50% of fair market value. Then in the event the new operator wanted to remove a ride they would need to pay the portion owned by the fair to them. Or offer Six Flags money for their part (and maybe rides, maybe not depending on who really owns them) then sell the park as a whole to a new operator and the fairgrounds enter into a 30 year lease with the new operator in order to hold the fair at the site.

With Chang having been on Six Flags property what right does the fairgrounds even have to demand it or it's value? Also what if they do find someone to take over, I'm assuming the new owners would have to buy property from SF to have the entire park? Or will there be some serious shadyness in the local government condemning SF's piece of the pie for the "greater good." IMHO if the fair really wanted to save the park they'd make a public offer to Six Flags for their part of the property and entice new owners with incentives. Like profit sharing in place of rent (at least for say 5 years), allowing partial ownership of the rides vs saying you put it here we own it. IE: If a new operator added a $10 million dollar ride during the first year the operator would own the ride in whole but say the fairgrounds would gain 5% ownership per year up to 50% of fair market value. Then in the event the new operator wanted to remove a ride they would need to pay the portion owned by the fair to them. Or offer Six Flags money for their part (and maybe rides, maybe not depending on who really owns them) then sell the park as a whole to a new operator and the fairgrounds enter into a 30 year lease with the new operator in order to hold the fair at the site.

It's apparently on both Six Flags and KFEC property.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rcfreak339

After I visited SFGAm just last Saturday I would say it's a good fit but the lot by the Observation Deck is SMALL. This will take up a ton of parking lot.

After I visited SFGAm just last Saturday I would say it's a good fit but the lot by the Observation Deck is SMALL. This will take up a ton of parking lot.

You'd be surprised at how well they can squeeze it in. Actually, this is how it will be situated:

SFGAmChangreallocation.jpg

The go-carts are being re-configured, and the coaster will remain a stand-up.

The above picture is from this discussion:

http://sfgamzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1819&st=0#entry5200202

If you go there, you'll see an actual photograph from the board meeting where SFGAm presented the layout.

Guest rcfreak339

I say SFGAm will remove the parking lot. Out of all the parks Iv'e been to SFGAm was the most detailed park, it was just amazing to see how much good Six Flags can really do if they try and never did expand so quickly.

Honestly though, I think Chang will not be set-up how the picture shows. Like the guy in the topic said it was him just messing around in photoshop. Even with the Go-Carts gone I just can't see it fitting. Chang is big and from I saw the land that is used in the picture is not big at all. I still say no way.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they saying Chang? Why won't they just say the name of it? Or do you think they're going to change the name?

http://www.suburbanc...un/news/2401876,5_1_WA17_SIXFLAGS_S1-100617.article

Height variance requested, June 21 meeting:

...While details are few, park officials have indicated a large standing roller coaster could be relocated to Great America from another Six Flags theme park.

On May 26, Six Flags received a unanimous favorable recommendation from the Gurnee Zoning Board of Appeals to exceed the 125-foot height restriction for the construction of a new 150-foot coaster. The new coaster would be sited near the main entrance in an area formerly home to Space Shuttle America, which closed after the 2007 season...

Park officials say they are in the early stages of planning and there is no certain date for construction. Although the coaster was not identified, it was manufactured by B&M, the Swiss company that built Batman, Superman and Raging Bull. Great America is a huge revenue source for the Village of Gurnee. Keeping it that way benefits the community and the park, said Salemi. "It's important we continue to freshen our product and expand and increase revenue," Salemi said.