Running Water at "The Beast"?

darque

Hello everyone. I visited your amazing park about a month or so ago. It was a 20 year wait for The Beast, and it was so worth it. So I'm still kicking around this site wishing I was at the park. You've all got a great park there.

Anyhow, When we were standing in line for The Beast, we noticed a display of old water mill type theming. There is a "beer bet" going on with my friends. Was there ever water running through there, or is it all just for show???

I remember the water at The Beast, it did smell and it there were tons of bugs! Sometimes the pump wouldn't work and the water just sat, which made everything worse. It must have been a while ago because I don't remember it being there when I've worked... since '98

I think the pond disappeared when the cable supports were added (i.e. the ropes that attach to the track and and the concrete block as you start out from the station). Those were not there originally. There was water flowing out of the pump and by the mine car as you start up the first lift hill.

I don't know how long its been, but i'm sure there are ways now that they could make the water better, the water coming through the pipes on the station would be cool standing in line, then ppl would really have somewhere to throw that money, i think it would inhance the overall experience, maybe they could bring it back for the next major annaversary(sp)

just a thought.

Indeed there was water running and a pond to boot. I remember the stench as well. Someone brought up something that I find really irritating. And that's the fact that people will trash a park and not think twice about it. I get tired of seeing peoples' initials or names or this person loves this person scratched into wood. Then, you have the gum stuck everywhere as well. And, trash just strewn about. Really p***es me off.

The pond was eliminated approximatly 10 years ago. There was running water near the "mill" display where everyone throws loose change right next to the front train queue in the station. There was also water coming out of the cave display after the circle to the first lift hill. Also changed was the exit, it currently runs through where the pond once was, and it was a rather large pond. The old exit came out under the last queue line in the station and emptied onto what is now a utility road blocked off to the public. If you look closely you can see a door with a moon symbol carved into it like you would see on an outhouse, that is where the old exit was.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe the wire supports for the large turn out of the station have always been there. If they haven't, does anyone know when they were installed?

Hey Darque....just another tid bit of history for "The Beast'. I graduated from Kings High School (right next door) in 1979 and during Grad night, Chevrolet was sponsering the new coaster by putting "The Beast's marquee" on the hood of 750 Black Chevrolet Chevettes. What the purpose of this was I cannot recall, (sales probably)... but as I think back on it now...seems the logo would have been more fitting on say a Camaro Z28 almost like the Eagle emblem was on a Pontiac Trans Am.

I think the pond disappeared when the cable supports were added (i.e. the ropes that attach to the track and and the concrete block as you start out from the station). Those were not there originally. There was water flowing out of the pump and by the mine car as you start up the first lift hill.

What are the cables there fro anyway?

i thought i could remember that wooden thing having water running through it when i was a real young'n. (i'm 16, it was WAY back.) does anyone know when the pond was removed? i can't seem to remember anything about a pond or water running through that mine car thing at the exit.

I think the pond disappeared when the cable supports were added (i.e. the ropes that attach to the track and and the concrete block as you start out from the station).  Those were not there originally.  There was water flowing out of the pump and by the mine car as you start up the first lift hill.

What are the cables there fro anyway?

They keep the track from expanding outward.

"Ecaxtly, The centrifical force of the train coming aorund would make the wood on in thr stucture crack and eventual fall over if the cbles weren't there. It would be even worse if they didn't have them on the helix's!!"

No biggie but...

That is not centrifical force. That is lateral force. Centrifical force is the movement that counteracts gravity.

Shaggy

And technically gravity itself is a force so any other force can counteract gravity.

I see the point for the spokes. After a while the stress on the wood would become too much and without the spokes it may deteriorate faster than a straight part of the track. I kinda like seeing the lines running into the tunnels on the second helix.

It's all there for a reason.

Andy