A Victory For Kings Island Is A Victory For Mason!

Well over 100 business representatives, concerned citizens and park lovers were on hand at the Feb 8th Mason City Council Meeting for Round 2 of the battle over the proposed parking and admissions tax.

Rummaging through two hours of very passionate testimony, including some that got heated, council ultimately voted 5-1 against the ordinance. Tony Bradburn, who was responsible for spearheading this tax was the only 'yes' vote and Christine Shimrock was forced to abstain due to her affiliation with the charity A Kid Again.

The staff of KICentral would like to thank the many members of our great community who came out to support the park as well as the local businesses. You've made us proud!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it truly was an awesome spectacle. the passion and positive energy against the tax was phenomenal. I actually found it entertaining! +1 for the former councilman from when Kings Island was annexed into Mason, and Sen. Gary Cates for his speech, and professionalism! -5 for Tony Bradburn having a 10 minute power point on how technically they don't have to abide by the agreement because it wasn't written down. That was a bad move, in my opinion...

Kudos to those that showed up, even more to those that voiced an opinion.

Now I ask, what was the "heated" part of the discussion?

Let's just say that if this were a hockey game, Sen Gary Cates and Mayor Don Price would have come close to getting 5 minutes for fighting. B)

Both trips and standing around in the cold weather was so worth it to help and to stand with a organization that gives back to the community from a obvious money grab. Very impressive to see so many from so many organizations and groups to stand up to Mason. Kings Island has many freinds.:D

I know Kings Island echo's the following statement, but on behalf of Waterparks Inc. and The Beach Waterpark we are truly grateful to every person who gave up their free time this evening to come out in the cold and support our organizations in what has been an uphill battle. Without your constant support the 2010 season would have been so much more difficult than it needed to be, all because of a tax. The community on the whole, just by being present, had a large voice in the meeting tonight and that voice was heard.

We hope to see the KingsIslandCentral.com community come and enjoy The Beach this summer, minus an admissions tax!

Again, thank you all so much for your support!

it truly was an awesome spectacle. the passion and positive energy against the tax was phenomenal. I actually found it entertaining! +1 for the former councilman from when Kings Island was annexed into Mason, and Sen. Gary Cates for his speech, and professionalism! -5 for Tony Bradburn having a 10 minute power point on how technically they don't have to abide by the agreement because it wasn't written down. That was a bad move, in my opinion...

By Bradburn saying it wasn't written down is an indication he knows of the verbal agreement; which is still binding.

I know Kings Island echo's the following statement, but on behalf of Waterparks Inc. and The Beach Waterpark we are truly grateful to every person who gave up their free time this evening to come out in the cold and support our organizations in what has been an uphill battle. Without your constant support the 2010 season would have been so much more difficult than it needed to be, all because of a tax. The community on the whole, just by being present, had a large voice in the meeting tonight and that voice was heard.

We hope to see the KingsIslandCentral.com community come and enjoy The Beach this summer, minus an admissions tax!

Again, thank you all so much for your support!

You're very welcome...glad to do it.

He did a PowerPoint to illustrate a percieved tenuousness of a verbal agreement? Whew! It's a good thing he didn't use 'KeyNote'! laugh.gif Seriously, this is awesome news! It restores my faith in government "of, for and by" the people.

Me too. Proves there is strength in numbers-and its time we all stood up to detrimental policies.

also, these rides arn't ideas that are thought of one day and then the next day are added into an amusement/theme park, they are made into small scale, then full scale models and tested repeatedly before even being available for the purchase and installation into parks.

if you are scared to ride something, there is no need to try and scare the public into believe things that are not true and as has been proven many times before, you can't trust what employees in a park say, most of them couldn't even fathom what goes into the complexity of amusement park rides.

*in addition, accidents are little hiccups that happen.

some cars burst into flames after a car wreck, are you going to write a book on the dangers of car manufacturing?

That speech ridiculed and insulted:

1. People who donate to charity

2. People who go to church

3. People who go to amusement parks

4. People who exercise their first amendment right to protest

I think the term "sleaze" is more than appropriate.

What a Jerka$$! That Mr.StoneKing is a jacka$$ and Mr.Bradburn is still A+ jerk in my book! I'm so happy that this tax is dead! I wanted it to die so very badly it would have hurt families and now it's dead! YAY! I'm sorry I could not be there to support Kings Island with all of you! I had some loose ends to tie up other than that I'm so happy this tax is dead in the water! Thank You the residents of Mason,Ohio and my fellow Kings Island Junkies!

What a Jerka$$! Mr.Bradburn is still A+ jerk in my book! I'm so happy that this tax is dead! I wanted it to die and it did! I'm sorry I could not be there to support Kings Island with all of you! I had some loose ends to tie up other than that I'm so happy this tax is dead in the water! Thank You the residents of Mason,Ohio!

I was not referring to Mr. Bradburn. I was talking about that clown.

What a Jerka$$! Mr.Bradburn is still A+ jerk in my book! I'm so happy that this tax is dead! I wanted it to die and it did! I'm sorry I could not be there to support Kings Island with all of you! I had some loose ends to tie up other than that I'm so happy this tax is dead in the water! Thank You the residents of Mason,Ohio!

I was not referring to Mr. Bradburn. I was talking about that Stoneking clown.

As was I. Sorry I didn't make that clear enough! Mr.Stoneking & Mr.Bradburn are douchebags !!! That really p!ssed me off!

You fail to read the truths I clearly identified. Read it all again without prejudice.

Mr. STONEking

There is no arguing with someone like you. You obviously feel that Kings Islnnd should not donate to chairty and that they should instead pay more taxes. You want the government, not sick children, to receive these resources. That makes you a piece of garbage, sir.

And your comments about free speech are even worse, if that's even possible. You refer to political protest as a "sleazy measure" that "result(s)in less tax payments to the City of Mason." Then you assert that people who oppose taxation without representation (remember 1776?)don't really understand how taxes work and should not leave their homes for entertainment. Well sir, this country has something called a Constitution, perhaps you should google that. We have every right to protest things we do not agree with, which is something you obviously despise. You would have fit in well in Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia.

As for your accusation that I am prejudiced, I proudly admit that I am prejudiced against people who hate children and who want to take away my Constitutional rights. You obviously fall into both of those categories which is why I am not surprized that after your speech at Council last night, you ran out of that room like a scared little girl.

Congratulations to not only KI, but to the City of Mason and to all those who showed up. I was unable to make I living just out of driving range comfortably. I think this just goes to show that KI not only has a strong following, but a group of people who are willing to take up for her and defend her at all costs.

Posted from my iPhone!!!

You fail to read the truths I clearly identified. Read it all again without prejudice.

Mr. STONEking

There is no arguing with someone like you. You obviously feel that Kings Islnnd should not donate to chairty and that they should instead pay more taxes. You want the government, not sick children, to receive these resources. That makes you a piece of garbage, sir.

And your comments about free speech are even worse, if that's even possible. You refer to political protest as a "sleazy measure" that "result(s)in less tax payments to the City of Mason." Then you assert that people who oppose taxation without representation (remember 1776?)don't really understand how taxes work and should not leave their homes for entertainment. Well sir, this country has something called a Constitution, perhaps you should google that. We have every right to protest things we do not agree with, which is something you obviously despise. You would have fit in well in Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia.

As for your accusation that I am prejudiced, I proudly admit that I am prejudiced against people who hate children and who want to take away my Constitutional rights. You obviously fall into both of those categories which is why I am not surprized that after your speech at Council last night, you ran out of that room like a scared little girl.

I love what you wrote here! I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank You Beetle.