A Victory For Kings Island Is A Victory For Mason!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you were wondering where Mr. Stoneking is, he's gone. I'm not going to let him use KIC as a vehicle to sell his fictional books. Sorry.

Darn you Ryan, I was about to lay into him again! LOL! But seriously, this has become a regular off-season again (Finally). Can't wait until that first Beast ride at 10:03 or so on April 17!

You guys helped to contribute to something great last night and he tried to sway the conversation toward his coloring book. Let's just not talk about him.

I couldn't agree more. That was KIC's greatest moment ever! I remember the people who, over the years, called us nutjobs on newspaper comment sites and other things. Yesterday, we stood up for what we believed in and obtained a positve result! We aren't nutjobs anymore, are we? :) Congratulations to everyone who participated!

Let's have a contest!

Who is the bigger idiot- the author or the publisher.

I'm with the publisher (AuthorHouse).

Ryan- I can't blame you for ejecting this ass-clown. But even though he was trying to promote his propoganda through KIC, do you actually think someone would take the bait and actually purchase it?

BTW- according to his site, he thoroughly enjoys DB. That scares me since I also enjoy DB. We agree on something? Yikes!

Another Huzzah!

Ahhhhhh......Ann Margaret, now there is some one we should be talking about!!

(But she doesn't have any thing to do with the ability to influence our politicians to do what is wanted by the majority. This is a great lesson for the younger members on the way our government works.)

(I am curious to how many on here will get the coalition between Ann Margaret (a beautiful women) and the way our government works.)

[...]But even though he was trying to promote his propoganda through KIC, do you actually think someone would take the bait and actually purchase it?

With as much money as people make off of get-rich-quick schemes involving weight-loss (I know there are programs that do work, I am not implying that none of them work) and 'working from home' programs, SOMEONE out there on the internets is dumb enough to jump on the hand grenade.

He sort of reminds me of that "official non official" Amusement Saftey Organization that would scour the earth for not just park 'accidents' or miscellaneous break downs but would compile 'lists' of complaints of roughness on attractions. Then the website would allude to injury as a result of roughness. The common thread that seems to be left out of authors that enjoy writing on this small topic, is that they generally leave out riders age, general health history, and overall disposition. The sad thing about that group was the website, at least several years ago, almost looked like a professional organization - giving the random passer by that sense of "hmmm.... maybe this is a legit site"

I think the best word I could use to describe my feelings toward the man who spoke last night could be summed up in... pity.

I think its very unfortunate that this person, who clearly had a passion for the industry as he worked full time for several parks, has now felt the need to manipulate a very small sect who are honestly frightened of rides and think in some capacity they are unsafe and profit off of them. Mark my words, this is the most press he and his book have received as of yet. We don't have to defend Kings Island, or The Beach with regards to this man, safety records speak for themselves.

I always love when people make a criticism of a topic being discussed and then afterwards they offer up a suggestion on how they would remedy original criticism. Its being constructive. He unfortunately is unable to offer the latter, and seems to be very bitter which leads me to believe he was more than likely terminated from his position at Kings Island.

We all know every ride at Kings Island is safe, and sadly, so does he. He used this meeting as nothing more than an opportunity to plug his book in a round about way. And what a shame too, because there very well could have been a person who would have liked to speak in favor of the tax, and perhaps could have had a valid argument, but our not so soon to be award winning author took up that persons time.

To the younger people out there - don't get your feathers ruffled, because you'll find in life there are people, like him, that think they can make a fast dollar by using scare tactics. Youre best to just ignore them, and keep driving and - if by chance they happen to be standing a street corner and you have a green light - im not saying I would totally rule out a one fingered salute.

I would go so far as to say this author does not believe a majority of what he says, but profiteering being a fear monger can't be rewarding We all know there are a group of people out there that truly don't believe amusement rides are safe, and they will kill you - and his goal, rather than help them overcome their fear, is to take advantage of it and feed it.

Let's have a contest!

I'm with the publisher (AuthorHouse)....

AuthorHouse is what is called a vanity press. What that means is the author PAYS them to publish the book. The author continues to own the book. Basically, AuthorHouse is a printer:

http://www.authorhou...Us/Publish.aspx

Put another way, no regular publisher accepted this 'gentleman's' book, so he paid to have it published.

Let's have a contest!

I'm with the publisher (AuthorHouse)....

AuthorHouse is what is called a vanity press. What that means is the author PAYS them to publish the book. The author continues to own the book. Basically, AuthorHouse is a printer:

http://www.authorhou...Us/Publish.aspx

Put another way, no regular publisher accepted this 'gentleman's' book, so he paid to have it published.

I really don't see the difference of who is paying who.

If the publisher accepts money, or pays money, to print that material, their repuatation is tainted (or if they even have a repuation for that matter.)

I can't imagine it was worth the money to warrent putting their name on that "read".

Most vanity publishers will print almost anything. They are not cheap, to put it mildly. One reason they cost as much as they do is they take on a wee bit (but not much) potential liability. Their defense is that all they are is a printer.

Regular publishers pay authors, sometimes (though rarely) quite handsomely. It is very difficult to get a regular publisher to publish a book, unless you are an author of known selling potential.

Look at all the "services" AuthorHouse offers:

http://www.authorhou...es/default.aspx

There is a reason self-publishing houses are called vanity presses. They ply their products on the vanity of their authors.

Maybe the book wouldn't have been too bad if he had used factual information... Imagine a book: collecting data from all the amusement ride accidents in history, finding the norm, and coming to a conclusion of what changes (if any) should be made to maximize the safety of the Amusement Park business.

But then, maybe doing absolutely no work was the most efficient use of his... uh time.

How much was this proposed tax going to ad?

On top of the existing federal, state, school and municipal income, property and sales taxes that have crept in little-by-little over the years, it would have added about $2 (+/-) per visit (multi-passenger cars not withstanding).

I wasn't able to attend either council meeting due to school and work, but I do have a question.

If this tax had passed, KI would have charged an additional ~2$ per visit correct. How would this have affected season pass holders?

PROBABLY, for passes already sold, the park would have had to absorb the tax, meaning cutbacks in staffing, landscaping, maintenance, etc. Or, the expense would have had to have been passed on to those unfortunates who had not yet bought a pass or daily tickets.

For passes not yet sold, there doubtless would have been a price increase, as there would have been for daily admissions and for group pricing.

PROBABLY, for passes already sold, the park would have had to absorb the tax, meaning cutbacks in staffing, landscaping, maintenance, etc. Or, the expense would have had to have been passed on to those unfortunates who had not yet bought a pass or daily tickets.

For passes not yet sold, there doubtless would have been a price increase, as there would have been for daily admissions and for group pricing.

I'm glad it doesn't matter now. I'll continue to visit with great voracity.

i did go, & if it wasnt for me being at work that night; i wouldve stayed longer. i was dumbfounded @ mr. stonekings comments & amussed @ the comments during his speech comming from the front row in overflow (not to mention, seeing everyones reaction to this... ssabmud). i throughly enjoyed the speeches givin by the guy in the cowboy hat (he looked very heated under the color), the balding guy with a slight speech impediment wearing a nascar jacket, & (i forget his name) park official with the powerpoint presentation. by the way, the overflow room's big tv thingy went out & was reason why some of us took to the hall. finally stalkerchick pointed out to me that mr. bradburn was infact playin solitaire on the computer & would occasionally look to the powerpoint as a cover-up. i got all the way to the harrison exit by the in/oh border when i found out the verdict.

i was looking forward to seein beast79 with the chic-fill-a in hand before the protest so i could sarcasticly ask him if he wanted a bite. & yes he was, if not it was something were he was constantly moving his mouse around cause it was blaintently obvious that his attention wasn't there during the park officials speech. i just wanna know how he got into office?

Most vanity publishers will print almost anything. They are not cheap, to put it mildly. One reason they cost as much as they do is they take on a wee bit (but not much) potential liability. Their defense is that all they are is a printer.

Regular publishers pay authors, sometimes (though rarely) quite handsomely. It is very difficult to get a regular publisher to publish a book, unless you are an author of known selling potential.

Look at all the "services" AuthorHouse offers:

http://www.authorhou...es/default.aspx

There is a reason self-publishing houses are called vanity presses. They ply their products on the vanity of their authors.

Again, I don't see why it makes a difference of who paid who.

Any idiot can sit back and make stuff up to stir the pot. But it was the publisher that made the decision to print it, giving the information validity in some people's minds.

Just because a check is handed out, does not mean they have to accept it.

I compare the publisher to an ambulance chasing attorney.

i was looking forward to seein beast79 with the chic-fill-a in hand before the protest so i could sarcasticly ask him if he wanted a bite. & yes he was, if not it was something were he was constantly moving his mouse around cause it was blaintently obvious that his attention wasn't there during the park officials speech. i just wanna know how he got into office?

Anyone who meets the requirements for the office can run.It's just a matter of convincing enough people to vote for you via campaigning.

No matter, if I am still a mason resident in 2013, my vote will be to remove him.