2011 what should KI get

pat

Having walked that site many, many times, I can assure you Son of Beast does not lie on anything remotely resembling flat land...

Son of Beast is a terrain coaster, and Paramount was quite proud of how much lumber and labor it saved by using the terrain there to its advantage.

Gee, what track layout is listed here?

http://www.rcdb.com/584.htm

i know that when you look at pictures, (can't say from experience), Son of Beast does have elevation changes, but from the looks of the pictures the elevation changes don't seem to match up with the ones in the computer animation of the mystery wooden coaster, unless the fact that Son of Beast is so dag gone massive that it makes the elevation change seem much less than what it really is.

I agree with Pat, If it's in Kings Island, it looks more like Flight Deck's terrain. Son of Beast just doesn't have that much elevation difference. Unless I'm remembering wrong, SOB lies on fairly flat land. Definitely not big enough to host a terrain coaster.

Son of Beast is definitely not flat

What I’m talking about is in the animation it looks like its at the end of a valley but the Son of Beast is in the middle of a valley. but looking at the animation and Google earth I think that if this is at Kings Island it is on the other side of flight deck station but I’m not positive that the valley is big enough to fit the coaster

Well, remember that the Valley of the Other Beast recently underwent a landscaping change in 2008 for Diamondback, namely the big hill behind SOB where the old tram cars (and the few remaining buildings from Lion Country Safari) lie was shortened. Other than that, the terrain that Sonny lies on is not exactly what you'd call flat. Also remember that Sonny's station rests 50 feet off the ground and the trek up the 216-foot lift hill starts a little more than a foot off the ground.

Doubt thats ours. That hill that coaster goes up is fairly large. SOB has terrain, but not that much of a difference. I think a lauched LIM through the woods would be great with fast turns and maybe a short straight up straight down feature,

Does anyone have an aerial pic of the SOB land before SOB was built? I'm trying to compare the terrains, but it's nearly impossible using the Google Maps terrain pic.

Doubt it. For one, no one really cared about that space until after SoB was built, and for another, they probably modified the terrain back there like they did DB's valley, so what it was in 1999 may not be what it is in 2010.

Doubt thats ours. That hill that coaster goes up is fairly large. SOB has terrain, but not that much of a difference. I think a lauched LIM through the woods would be great with fast turns and maybe a short straight up straight down feature,

Have you ever walked down there? I have, on several occasions, and I can say that the terrain Son of Beast sits on is VERY different. Terpy (Or someone else on here) Once questioned Paramount and why they decided to put a 200 foot wooden coaster in essentially a bowl.

I want to say the station for the ride is about 10 or 15 feet below the midway for Action Zone, and the drop out of the station to the ground is about 50 feet. That would make it about 65 foot elevation difference. You can see in the renderings the ride goes about 15 or 20 feet above the top of the valley. 80-85 foot high lift total. GCI's build their coasters 80-100 feet high (El Toro-80'. Evel Kenivel - 82'. Ozark Wildcat - 80'. Thunderbird - 82') so it would fit.

Here's a good perspective on how the change in the elevation can be back there:

sonofbeastperspective.jpg

actually i think it does look pretty close to the big bad wolf's location, and you can see that where the lift hill is currently for bbw, that is about where the lift is on the mystery coaster, and what would be on the right of the lift is a hill that is taller than the lift, like what is shown in the computer animation.

Yes but look behind the lift for BBW. There's still a valley. In the computer animation there's a wall of earth behind the lift.

I've looked at every park I can think of and the spot SoB is in is still the closest match, but it still doesn't match perfect. I must be missing something or not looking at the right park.

you are looking at the bbw location from the wrong angle, those two areas (computer animation & google maps) are identical, look where the bottom of the lift wraps around the piece "mountain" and then look where there is the level spot in the animation going from behind the lift and wrapping around the side of the "mountain" they are the same area.

i'm calling your myth busted. :)

I'm gonna be honest the only thing I'm looking forward to in 2011 is The Smurfs Movie. Laugh all you want but it's true as for 2012 I'm looking forward to Disney opening up the new fantasy land at WDW's magic kingdom I wanna ride the new little mermaid attraction! Now as for Kings Island I don't think we will see another coaster for a while. I say this because CF is in the red and pending they don't get sued again ( A lot of people don't like this Apollo merger!)I just can't see Kings Island getting a massive coaster anytime soon.

Enjoy DB!

In all honesty, I think the BBW location and computer animation graphics look VERY similar. I couldn't really tell for the SOB spot, but I'm hoping. If it is for KI, in SOB's spot, I would think SOB will start to be demolished very soon. I mean, that is no small task, and will probably take a while. Also, how long does it take to build a wooden coaster on average from GCI?

See just to the right of the "Mountain" in the Computer Animation, how there's a drop in elevation? Where is that in the BBW location? Or the rise at the top of the lift hill?

And it depends. Vertical construction for Thunderhead and Prowler I believe began in September. If it took a week to remove Son of Beast's loop, I'd imagine 2-3 months to remove the entire ride.