GCI... KI?

Coney Islander

Great Coasters International has recently put a design for a new coaster on their facebook page... and the terrain seems to match the land behind The Crypt, the land under Son of Beast, and the land at Busch Gardens Europe that was formerly occupied by Big Bad Wolf.

Please read the following thread, before voting:

2011 what should KI get - Kings Island Central Forums

Edit: It has been released that the roller coaster is going to 'China's OTC's Knight Valley.'

Great Coasters International | Great News

The poll is closed, because of the announcement.

okay, so it was a tough vote for me, i was stuck between bbw's location, which was my pick ever since i saw the terrain at that site and the site located in the ravine between the crypt and Diamondback's hammerhead turn.

but i voted for the crypt because i think that it does match up with the terrain in the computer model a fraction better than the bbw's location.

but you never know, it could be going to both the site behind the crypt and bbw's

I don't see it going in at Kings Island.

Not in Rivertown. Those woods are becoming over-saturated, and the trees still haven't grown around Diamondback. Plus, I think it would honestly be one of the worst choices as far as park flow to have the park's three biggest rides (Beast, Diamondback, new coaster) all in the very back corner in a dead-end area. Imagine the traffic problems. For a living example, take a look at Disney's Hollywood Studios where morning, noon and night, Sunset Boulevard (home to park's two world-famous thrill rides and Fantastmic!) looks like a mob scene, absolutely dead-stopped with no traffic flow at all.

Now, I believe if Son of Beast must go, it would be incredible to have a new replacement coaster in the works already. That being said, Cedar Fair is really in no condition to be looking at adding new coasters, much less having an outside manufacturer already using topographical information and terrain to design said replacement. It's for that reason that I don't think this coaster is for Kings Island...

But is it for Busch Gardens? The skeptic in me sees the entire former Busch family of parks complete devoid of wooden coasters (save Gwazi, and we know how they've enjoyed dealing with him / them!) and says absolutely not. I think it's much more likely (and practical from a PR point of view) to aim towards what everyone is eagerly expecting for Busch Gardens - a flying coaster a la Manta, perhaps in a new country, in the area formerly occupied by Big Bad Wolf and Drachen Fire. Of course, on the other hand, if any country in Busch Gardens Williamsburg could support a fierce wooden coaster, it would be Germany... Perhaps even in a tie-in with DarKastle!

Now, I believe if Son of Beast must go, it would be incredible to have a new replacement coaster in the works already. That being said, Cedar Fair is really in no condition to be looking at adding new coasters, much less having an outside manufacturer already using topographical information and terrain to design said replacement. It's for that reason that I don't think this coaster is for Kings Island...

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your last post, that being said:

Regardless of financial strengths or weaknesses, amusement parks know they must have all options on the table at any one time. The industry is new capital-intensive, especially at companies where rides have no "marketing partner" in the way of alternative media to create demand for them (see:Disney). Amusement parks, especially larger ones, keep that status regardless of financial health by adding newer, bigger and more innovative attractions.

Keep in mind, it takes years to survey land, gather proposals for new rides, and have all the engineering work done for everything from area drainage, to height clearances, to the actual design of a ride. In the Amusement industry you cannot let financial stress get in your way of trying to better your attraction portfolio and attendance. More than likely, a ride going in for 2011 at any park in the world was in the planning stages as far back as 2009, if not even sooner. Disney "Blue sky" and other projects are known to be in the works for a decade if not more!

Absolutely true, but at would mean that this project has been looked at for quite some time - longer, even, than Son of Beast has been shut down, or longer than the Crypt has been running it's (apparently) immensely unpopular two-flip cycle. So if this ride really were earmarked for Kings Island in one of the two places proposed by this thread, it would've been planned pending the destruction of (at that time) one of two perfectly popular, successfully-operating attractions. It just seems unlikely to me.

Everyone's opinion of Son of Beast's status has been contingent upon the fact that "Son of Beast is the least of Cedar Fair's worries at present." So I guess I echo that when I say that any replacement for Son of Beast is likely the least of the least of Cedar Fair's worries at present.

^^that's crazy with disney, but it pays off for them.

obviously, the materials used change and become more advanced on a yearly basis, especially on a decade basis (just look at the things that came out in 2000 and what they have evolved into today), how do they manage to keep up with these kinds of things like safety changes new and improved things like animatronics and the theming elements that they use in alot of their attractions?

^^that's crazy with disney, but it pays off for them.

obviously, the materials used change and become more advanced on a yearly basis, especially on a decade basis (just look at the things that came out in 2000 and what they have evolved into today), how do they manage to keep up with these kinds of things like safety changes new and improved things like animatronics and the theming elements that they use in alot of their attractions?

Note, for Disney the design of projects can take a decade, in many cases the engineering and technical advances seen in their attractions are the first of their kind due to "imagineering". The R&D that takes place at Disney is unparalleled. The land in Florida for one can be very difficult to work with, you would be surprised by the amount of work that goes into prepping land for construction in Florida. Especially when it comes to securing amusement rides or entertainment venues to a suitable foundation, as CoastersRZ on these forums can surely attest.

Innovation takes time, that is the key thing to take away. But while innovation takes time, creativity takes only a moment, and often what we see as "new" today was in development for a very long time, building off of previous successes.

For Disney, EPCOT had sat on the drawing boards for many, many years!

Of course, Epcot (or, E.P.C.O.T. if you're in the know ;) ) was on the drawing boards in a much different form, as were many of the rides currently at Disney Parks. They mean it when they say that no idea ever dies at Disney Imagineering - rides designed in the 80's are just coming to real fruition today (more recently, with added Pixar characters) thanks to advances in technology and loosening in the budget. Some ideas that are "on the drawing board" and have been for decades sound absolutely incredible to me, and should I ever come into ownership of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, I will certainly lobby for them. For example, The Great Muppet Movie Ride.

yes, and in the disney book "imagineering: a behind the dreams look at making the magic real" (the copy i have is from right before disney world opened animal kingdom)shows a full 1/8 scale model of epcot before it was built, along with a scaled model of disneyland paris' space mountain.

just a side note: the new updated edition will be available for sale on may 18, 2010, and can be pre-ordered here

me too, i read and re-read the book my whole week following my visit to disney and absolutely loved it, even if it was published in '96 the information it had was amazing to me and i liked reading all of walt's and other's quotes.

plus, the new edition is going to be hard cover, then i won't have to worry about ripping the cover.

Why would they do that? Parks want you to go in a round-about fashion...perhaps you will pass a stand and buy something. Per caps are an important source of revenue to parks, and if you can get around very quickly, do what you want to do quickly, and leave, you minimize their revenue. This is one of the reasons that single day ticket buyers almost always are a far more important source of revenue to parks than are seasons' pass holders (in the words of our favorite operations guy).

One thing I learned from Terpy's posts: He is familiar with everything and anything theme park related, and is a great wealth of information, if you know how to read his posts.

U be surprised of how many people he knows in the amusement world.