Kings Dominion 2010 Map Released

kd_visit_parkmap.jpg

http://www.kingsdominion.com/visit/visit_park_map.cfm

A list of things that are interesting to note (I'll compile things here if anyone else has comments):

• Kidsville is remaining generic, uninfluenced by Planet Snoopy, and encompassing the former Hanna-Barbera Land
  • Because all Hanna-Barbera properties are now generic Kidzville, only five attractions are Peanuts themed, as there were only five things that were Nickelodeon themed - obviously, ours will be quite different since instead of some HB, some Kidzville, and some Nick, we had 100% Nickelodeon.
  • The park is sitting in a giant field with absolutely no trees, surrounded by a big plaster fence (yay, Cedar Fair style maps!)
  • The second hill on Intimidator is shown incorrectly, not passing between the first hill's supports at all.
  • Action Theater is still listed as an attraction, though no specific film name is given.

I don't think it will change. I hope it won't change. For some reason, only Canada's Wonderland and Kings Dominion's map changed over to the Cedar Fair style. I believe that the reason may be that those were the two Paramount Parks that didn't utilize the Citigraph maps used by the other parks - Canada's Wonderland's was very cartoony (though no where near as much as the Cedar Fair maps) and Kings Dominion's was in between Wonderland's and the Citigraph style.

The only reason I'm not sure if the maps will change over is because if the map isn't completely redone for a huge addition like Diamondback, what would be the reason to change it now? It seems like if they were going to change it, they would've back when there was an actual reason. Here are the maps (in decreasing order of realism :P )

Typical Citigraph maps:

sfo2000map.jpg

Kings Dominion's Old Paramount Map:

pkd2004map.jpg

Canada's Wonderland's Old Paramount Map:

picture2paz.png

Cedar Fair Maps:

wonderlandMap.jpg

^ Vortex (at their park, an Arrow suspended coaster) uses the Mountain to disguise its lift hill)

p3813.jpg

And a powered figure-eight Mack coaster runs through tunnels in it:

p1690.jpg

I love the consistency between the first three parks, all have the grand fountains leading up to the Eiffel Tower or Wonder Mountain. Wonder Mountain is beautiful, too. It's very strange (and in some ways, more appropriate) to see the same International Street we have, but with a giant mountain at the end. It makes it feel more like a little Swiss village. :P

canadas_wonderland_1a_930.jpg

222660723_11ab4a63a9.jpg?v=0

I also can't help but think it might've been the inspiration for its sister park's peak:

Scan10003.jpg

Wonderlandlogo.png

That is the pre-Paramount logo... Creepy! It's almost like foreshadowing, isn't it?!

wonderland.JPG

Though I don't know much about it, and information is near impossible to find, I'm sure someone on here has some knowledge about the KECO Park that Paramount didn't buy, Australia's Wonderland (It does have a ring to it: Paramount Australia's Wonderland). I get the vibe that it wasn't a major park in the style of Canada's Wonderland, etc. and probably didn't have the fountains, centerpiece, etc., though it did have some rides that may sound familiar to fans of the former Paramount Parks:

t_sbpbeastie_big.jpgt_sbpbushbeast1.jpgdemon.jpgt_sbpbbbr.jpgt_sbpsrr_big.jpg

* Australia's Wonderland photos from this site.

^ Vortex (at their park, an Arrow suspended coaster) uses the Mountain to disguise its lift hill)

p3813.jpg

And a powered figure-eight Mack coaster runs through tunnels in it:

p1690.jpg

I love the consistency between the first three parks, all have the grand fountains leading up to the Eiffel Tower or Wonder Mountain. Wonder Mountain is beautiful, too. It's very strange (and in some ways, more appropriate) to see the same International Street we have, but with a giant mountain at the end. It makes it feel more like a little Swiss village. :P

canadas_wonderland_1a_930.jpg

222660723_11ab4a63a9.jpg?v=0

I also can't help but think it might've been the inspiration for its sister park's peak:

Scan10003.jpg

KD's mountain came first in 79 with CWL's coming in 80.

A little intimidator update:They've recently begun pull through testing using the front two cars of the train.