Fire At Adventureland Iowa

THREE ALARM FIRE:

...Adventureland spokeswoman Molly Vincent said the fire is contained to an area known as 'Main Street' inside the park and no one has been injured.

The fire is so big, smoke could be seen from the Des Moines International Airport.

Vincent said Adventureland is closed for the season.

There is a popular gun show going on nearby, but it is not connected to the fire.

KCCI viewer photos show a lot of smoke and fire billowing from shops inside Adventureland. Fire crews are keeping everyone out of the area....

http://www.kcci.com/...911/detail.html

Adventureland is one of my favorite parks in America. Its front is a miniature entrance to the Magic Kingdom, after which it was clearly modeled. The coasters are far back from the shops, which are above the entrance area.

The Underground is a fun, slow, lumbering ride. It's not at all what you think it is. Outlaw is perhaps the strangest CCI ever built. Much about it can be understood by knowing that Mike Boodley worked on it while he worked at CCI prior to starting GCI.

Tornado is a wonderful ride, and the steel contraption there must be experienced to be believed.

I'm very upset tonight, nearly crying. I truly love Adventureland. Hopefully, the damage is contained to the shops area. And hopefully, the park will recover.

CedarPointer, have you ridden Underground? I learned long ago that rides cannot be fairly judged by watching POV's.

Outlaw is perhaps the strangest CCI ever built. Much about it can be understood by knowing that Mike Boodley worked on it while he worked at CCI prior to starting GCI.

CedarPointer, have you ridden Underground? I learned long ago that rides cannot be fairly judged by watching POV's.

I edited my post, it came across as a lot more harsh than it should have. I did ride it back in 2008, I think my opinion of it may have had more to do with actually waiting in a full queue for it (I rode it while the rest of my group was eating, since nobody else wanted to ride it) in the heat than anything. As a dark ride, I think it's pretty good. As a coaster, not as much, but it was okay for what it is.

About Outlaw- I would have loved to have ridden it like this: (or maybe not!)

^^^

I found Adventureland in the Guess the Coaster thread a few months ago. From the beginning, I thought it looked like a really fun park, and I never even got to see this Main Street section. Lets hope for the best, that nothing is damaged.

^^^^

That looks very fun, to me, a person who likes themed rides more than coasters. Thanks for the video.

Wow, thank you Terpy for posting this.... I just logged on and saw this title in all Caps and the FIRST thing I thought of was "Oh Lord, please dont let the fire be in the back section of the park by Tornado or Outlaw!" I grew up in Des Moines and Waukee, and even though (IMHO) WoF is more worth the admission/drive, I did spend my fair share of time at Adventureland. What made me so fearful about the Tornado is the fact is is RIGHT beside a county road, and it would just be toooooo easy for something bad to happen. You are also right in the statement that the Main Street area and its shops are/were absolutely beautiful. Here's to hoping for a full rebuild precisely like it was.

...Vincent said the ceiling of a toy store at the park collapsed and that started an electrical fire at a block of shops that are at the front of the theme park. The fire also spread to an arcade....

http://www.globegazette.com/articles/2010/02/20/news/latest/doc4b808b69ebffb476211407.txt#vmix_media_id=10759268

The toy store. I think I am going to go cry now.

Of all the parks I have visited, Adventureland had unique merchandise, things you won't find elsewhere. It was like visiting an amusement park gift shop back in the Sixties or Seventies, before all parks started selling just about the same merchandise. Indiana Beach also used to have a unique assortment until recently. The owners of Adventureland care greatly about their guests and their park.

Hopefully, the damage can be repaired and the park will be in presentable shape by opening day.

The owners of Adventureland care greatly about their guests and their park.

You could really tell. Adventureland didn't really remind me of any other park I've been to... and I mean that in a good way. :) I really hope that they recover. Even though my trip there was miserable in more ways than one (it had nothing to do with the park!), I really want to go back, and maybe I'd actually get to ride everything that I wanted to! :)

Wow, what a loss. I do hope they can recover. Some times a loss like this can bring a new change that was never in the plans before this. I have heard wonderful things about this park and how different it was. Had a home town feeling. I do hope they can be ready for there season this spring. Not being able to open can sure hurt the wallet. It is so sad to see what mother nature can do..

Given where the fire took place kitten, I dont think there will be any logistical problems opening the park on time for the season. The buildings that burned do not play a vital role in the daily operation of the park, though as Terpy and Monroe stated, it is a sad tragedy that such beautiful structures burned. I too share in the hope that they can be re-constructed to look just as they had before todays unhappy turn of events.

..."We are glad no one was hurt and that it was contained to that one section of buildings," said Molly Vincent, Adventureland spokeswoman. "It could have been much more expensive if it hit a major ride or spread to an adjacent building.

"The fire wrecked an arcade, a restaurant and the park's bingo parlor. No one was injured, and the park is closed for the season, Vincent said.

The building was part of the original park, which opened in the summer of 1974. The building didn't have a sprinkler system or fire detection system that could have summoned outside help, Vincent said.

Patrons of the nearby gun show likely saved the park from greater damage by calling in the fire, Vincent said.

The layout of the park played a role in restraining the blaze, said Altoona Fire Department Capt. Brian Young.

"It was a good hour before it was contained, and, quite honestly, the geography was what contained it — the roads around it," Young said. "We just had to contain it so it wouldn't spread into rides or concession stands."...

The cost of the fire's damage was unavailable Saturday, but the row of shops were likely beyond salvaging and would need to be replaced, Vincent said.

"It went through those buildings pretty darn fast," Vincent said.

http://www.desmoines...ys-row-of-shops

Thank you!

Everyone at Adventureland would like to extend our most heartfelt thanks to all the fire crews, police, and emergency services personnel that did such an amazing job at the fire on Saturday. We truly appreciate all your efforts to save as much of our Main Street area as possible. Thank you also to all our guests who have called and emailed with their well wishes and concern.

Adventureland Park will open for the 2010 season on the last weekend in April as expected , and we hope to see you all there!

Source: Adventureland Park, Iowa:

http://www.adventureland-usa.com/