A Tomb for the Crypt?

Coney Islander

Well, the ride is pretty much pointless if it cannot have any water effects, that's what it was designed to have. Right now, you are sitting in an unthemed giant garage. No fog, not even half of the cool lights it once had, no theming, no nothing.

Even as one of the ride's biggest "defenders," I can't agree more with what's being said. At this point I would gladly have the entire ride replaced with a suspended top spin the same as Firefall. I think that it would be more fun and interesting if it stayed in the box, but if it had to be placed outdoors, it would probably still be better than what we have right now.

The only reason I like the Crypt as it is is because I like seeing the goddess on the wall. But I would sacrifice that in order to have a suspended top spin. Really.

First off, there is no way Cedar Fair themed Firefall! It looks too good! As much as I'd love to see The Crypt go back to it's glory days, it sadly will never happen. In an economy where the park and company have to be very careful with how they spend money, I don't think sprucing up The Crypt sounds like a responsible use of the company's limited funds. It makes more sense for them to put money towards a new ride or experience, not something that people unfortunately think is a lame ride with no real thrills or fun. Even if they removed the floor, or added water jets, or whatever, that ride is done. D-o-n-e, done. I think the park will do whatever it takes to maintain the ride, to add it to their list of rides. But no more. And think about it, for the price of a new top spin, we could just use that money for a ride like Voyage! Which I believe costs less than 10 million usd. In my opinion, and I know I'm crazy for saying this, Voyage is a little better than the Crypt.

Ideally, if they want to "spruce up" The Crypt (it is now unworthy of the name TRTR, not just because they changed the name either...) KI would have to redo the entry plaza, redo the theming in the tunnels and rooms, remove the Giant Top Spin (or go to the recommended braking system!) and redo the ride program. At that point, KI could bill it as a new ride, no matter if they have removed the Giant Top Spin, or put a new one in. It is all about the looks to the general public. If the ride looks like its new (or a new variation,) then it will be perceived as new. If they just update the theming on the inside, and not the outside, the GP will immediately think, "Oh look, its still The Crypt. We are not going to ride the Ferris Wheel."

Tom, who is now going back to watch his favorite ride in its glory days, before it was bent over the hood of a Buick....

• 5 years later...

Which was built first, the building and then the ride, or the ride and then the structures coming after?

I would imagine that probaly the building was constructed first and then the insides of the ride were built. That makes the most sense to me.

Which was built first, the building and then the ride, or the ride and then the structures coming after?

I would imagine that probaly the building was constructed first and then the insides of the ride were built. That makes the most sense to me.

Well, if the ride was built similar to FOF and Rock N Roller Coaster at the Disney Studios, the ride was built first.  I've seen construction pics showing those rides standing out in the open, after which are pics showing the building being constructed around it.

• Like 2

Yep.  Both Tomb Raider and Flight of Fear were built with the building and structure built first, and then the ride was constructed inside of the building.  See, the benefit of doing that is that once the building is built, the ride can be constructed without having to loose any construction time due to weather delays from Southern Ohio winters.

• Like 2

I miss this ride so much. It's a HUGE part of the reason why my last two Cedar Fair park trips were to Cedar Point rather than Kings Island. If it were still around, Kings Island would have definitely been my priority.

So many great ideas posted here that never came to pass.

• Like 1

And now, five and a half years later, the ride is long gone, the box remains.

See also Son of Beast's station, Tower Gardens, the Haunt Buildings sitting unused much of the year (or perceived as such by the public)...

And then, all of the sudden...

So are you saying that something new is going in said box soon? :P

jcgoble3, interpreting :)

Rhyano is also Interpreting something 

I miss this ride so much. It's a HUGE part of the reason why my last two Cedar Fair park trips were to Cedar Point rather than Kings Island. If it were still around, Kings Island would have definitely been my priority.

So many great ideas posted here that never came to pass.

It truly was an incredible experience combining a real, intense thrill ride with great imersive lights and effects. It made me excited for Kings Island's future when it first came out and I rode it, thinking that things as great as this could become more common.. it made me excited.

• Like 4

Meanwhile, Superman: Tower of Power contributed to the ultimate collapse of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. When Mr. Ed Hart regained the keys to that Kingdom, he inexplicably decreed a new Drop Tower would be installed. And so it came to pass...

Didn't the debt from purchasing paramount's properties lead them to attempt to sell Great America, Valleyfair, and Worlds of Fun?

And Jeff Seibert told one and sundry that Paramount Parks intended to make Kings Island the "Universal of the Midwest." Then came Son of Beast's problems, CBS, Jeff quickly exited and the Paramount Parks were offloaded to Cedar Fair for an almost unimaginable $1.24 Billion.

Didn't the debt from purchasing Paramount's properties lead them to attempt to sell Great America, Valleyfair and Worlds of Fun?

• Like 1

Well, if the ride was built similar to FOF and Rock N Roller Coaster at the Disney Studios, the ride was built first.  I've seen construction pics showing those rides standing out in the open, after which are pics showing the building being constructed around it.

Actually Flight of Fear's building was built before the track. You're right that Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was constructed before its building though.

• Like 3