Question

Gturner94

Yeah but if you have that one person in line that starts a big thing like the brakes just went out or a wheel busted almost everyone will leave.

You would think but not really. Another time I was in the SRL line for Diamondback and it closed down for like ten or fifteen minutes because one of the trains wheels broke or something like that. I didn't see anyone leave the line.

Have you seen how the line for Top Thrill Dragster grows after a rollback? And keep in mind, these are usually folks who do not know the safety mechanisms in place - these people typically think something has gone horribly wrong! Many people are attracted to that danger, and want to be part of the spectacle of a rollback or a ride closure. Of course, I'd much rather be stuck on broken ride at Universal than on a roller coaster - there's a lot more excitement (in my book, at least) to seeing the backstage of a well-themed ride than there is to stopping momentarily on a roller coaster like Adventure Express, Invertigo, etc.

Each day Great Adventure is open, if Kingda Ka is running, it must close for inspection in mid-afternoon, by order of the State of New Jersey. You'd be surprised how many people leave the line and do not return...

Would you like to enlighten me as to why?

he did kinda. :)

...by order of the State of New Jersey.

When a ride has had as many issues as Kingda Ka (far surpassing those affecting its Ohioan counterpart), I should hope that the state of New Jersey has mandated more than the typical daily inspection. Shredded cables, broken brake fins, engine seal damage, lightning strikes, blown fuses... Murphy's Law, after all. Kingda Ka has probably spent the same ratio of uptime to downtime as Son of Beast, if not worse.

And methinks it more than a coincidence that, the day Great Adventure promised that they'd have Kingda Ka up and running smoothly for the 2010 season is the day that Six Flags filed for bankruptcy.

Note that Top Thrill Dragster has never fallen past #11 in the Golden Ticket's running for best steel coaster. To my knowledge, Kingda Ka has never made the list - there is a reason... Or more.

Yeah but if you have that one person in line that starts a big thing like the brakes just went out or a wheel busted almost everyone will leave.

No one falls for that one.Now say something like WHAT DO YOU MEAN HOUR AND HALF UNTIL IT GETS GOING?That will get at least 20 or so out of line.Note i would never do something like that but at the same time, i dont fall for it.

When a ride has had as many issues as Kingda Ka (far surpassing those affecting its Ohioan counterpart), I should hope that the state of New Jersey has mandated more than the typical daily inspection. Shredded cables, broken brake fins, engine seal damage, lightning strikes, blown fuses... Murphy's Law, after all. Kingda Ka has probably spent the same ratio of uptime to downtime as Son of Beast, if not worse.

And methinks it more than a coincidence that, the day Great Adventure promised that they'd have Kingda Ka up and running smoothly for the 2010 season is the day that Six Flags filed for bankruptcy.

Note that Top Thrill Dragster has never fallen past #11 in the Golden Ticket's running for best steel coaster. To my knowledge, Kingda Ka has never made the list - there is a reason... Or more.

Chief among them that the Golden Ticket awards, as has been discussed here many times, are political beasts, given to favored parks and withheld from the disfavored. Great Adventure long had a largely deserved reputation for being dangerous, unsafe and dirty. That's the past. And many locals will not vote for anything there as they no longer go there, haven't in years, and aren't apt to go back any time soon.

Cedar Point could have a small kiddie coaster as its new attraction and it would draw more votes than a huge new attraction at Great Adventure. Which should tell you just how wonderful El Toro really is...when it has done as well as it has in those awards...

I've been to GA before. It really isn't a bad park. It was clean and the lines were fairly short. It was the first year for Kingda Ka so everyone was waiting for that line which freed up the rest of the rides. It was pretty humorous though, every time KK broke down, they would sound this loud siren before the ride started(like a lot of rides before moving trains after a downtime) and it was really loud. As soon as it sounded, people would start rushing to Kingda Ka because they knew it was about to start operating again.

To answer the original question, you've got to think, if it was a serious problem, do you think they would consider opening the ride before they inspect the ride for any major problems? Very doubtful. Therefore, the ride is safe as soon as it opens back up.

Actually, Kingda Ka has a horn...the same model horn Diamondback has. And the first season, it was sounded before EVERY run. Local homeowners were not amused...

Oh my that would get quite annoying. I like some of the things non enthusiast say about Diamondbacks horn when it sounds. But we all know whats going on ;)