Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

As far as "The Fun and Only", I definitely like it better than "Where Else?" I would much rather have seen an evolution of "Where else?" into "Kings Island: Where you can." I think it would have made a nice campaign, I'm picturing ads with the "Where you Can" graphic on the screen over video, then as the scene changes, different words would appear after the "....can". For example, close up of riders on Firehawk "Where you can fly", video of a family walking through Planet Snoopy "Where you can reconnect", video of kids in Boomerang Bay "Where you can refresh", video of adults with the Peanuts characters "Where you can act your age", etc...

I like the new jingle, and I like the new tag line... I just think that from a marketing perspective you can build in a good amount of potential to a slogan. I don't see bucketloads of potential built into "The Fun and Only."

If you will notice in my sig, I have a catchy slogan that can go after the ones you mentioned. Have all the things you said and then at the end say, "Kings Island......Where Amazing Happens!" Maybe it's just me but I really like it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you will notice in my sig, I have a catchy slogan that can go after the ones you mentioned. Have all the things you said and then at the end say, "Kings Island......Where Amazing Happens!" Maybe it's just me but I really like it.

I'm not sure the NBA would like that very much! It would be interesting to see if that phrase is trademarked by them or not. They've been using it for a few years now.

Whether the trademark is registered or not, commercial use by others than the NBA at this point would almost certainly result in immediate litigation...

Registration is to protect a mark by proving its use was widely known. When, like the NBA, such use is easily documented and proven, registration is not necessarily a necessity to prevail. See Grizzly at Paramount's Kings Dominion as opposed to what was Grizzly at Silverwood (now known as Timber Terror...due to a notice of infringement).

Look who it is againrolleyes.gif

Adam Woltermann-Why isn't there any Brick Roller Coasters? And is it possible for one to be made and KI to have the first one?

I think I had already posted that.

We've been given new Planet Snoopy information!

http://www.visitking...ry.cfm?ac_id=39

This is my favorite shop name. It is...uhhhh....amuzing, to say the least :lol:

As far as "The Fun and Only", I definitely like it better than "Where Else?" I would much rather have seen an evolution of "Where else?" into "Kings Island: Where you can." I think it would have made a nice campaign, I'm picturing ads with the "Where you Can" graphic on the screen over video, then as the scene changes, different words would appear after the "....can". For example, close up of riders on Firehawk "Where you can fly", video of a family walking through Planet Snoopy "Where you can reconnect", video of kids in Boomerang Bay "Where you can refresh", video of adults with the Peanuts characters "Where you can act your age", etc...

I like the new jingle, and I like the new tag line... I just think that from a marketing perspective you can build in a good amount of potential to a slogan. I don't see bucketloads of potential built into "The Fun and Only."

I really like that idea. I like it more than "The fun and only."

Once again, it was simply called "Ice Cream" when the area was known as Nick Universe. So it's not like this is another one of Cedar Fair's generic name changes. It was called that before they owned the park. However, when it was HB Land, it was known as Huckleberry Dairy

This is my favorite shop name. It is...uhhhh....amuzing, to say the least laugh.gif

That's what it was called when it was Nick Universe....

Oh, I did not realize that, as I haven't really looked around NU in a very long time. Seriously though? It couldn't have been called something different a while ago? Or Cedar Fair couldn't rename it while doing this transformation? At least the name is descriptive :)

Today's 5@5: (look at #4, it is very interesting)

Q: Larken Parr - Is being in park operations hard? DO you like being a manager?

A: A fw people asked about my job so I will answer yuor question Larken as it asks two key things. First, I asolutely love my job and it only gets tough if I don't get to ride something during the season (last year it was Diamondback almost daily). I go stir crazy in the winter which is our planning phase and strategizing for the upcoming season, not to mention interviewing and processing the thousands we hire and bring back every year. Managing rides, lifeguards, admissions, guest services, park services and entertainment keeps me busy but I can't imaging having a "real" job.

---------------------------

Q: Travis Nuss - Is the Son of Beast going to be open for the 2010 season? I know you guys get lots of comments about the ride. Why haven't you guys not been saying one thing about this ride?

A: I am asked this question a ton. These types of decisions are not made overnight and as seen already in one off season. It still has not been decided and in my role I can only offer up my opinion which is one small part in a great number of discussions bigger than me. Cedar Fair will take the time it needs to make the best decision for all of our guests.

Q: Kyle Joyce - The former Wild Thornberries River Adventure, will it be with Rivertown or Planet Snoopy?

A: Wild Thornberries River Adventure will go from Nickelodeon themed to Peanuts themed and play to our world class (voted #1 for nine straight years) kids area. It will still be a great water ride to cool off on during hot summer days.

Q: Tony Douglass - Are there any hints or clues as to what the new dark ride will be (or when we'll know)? I am most anxious about that!

A: Good things are always planned here! The manufacturer is Sally Corporation and they will come in and re-theme this ride to be as exciting as it always has been. The ride has had some awesome themes. Hanna-Barbera, Smurfs, Phantom Theater, and Scobby all of which kids loved. I can't give it away yet but the ride technology will not change and guests will still shoot targets to collect the highest score. Stay tuned as we unveil this one because it will have one mroe exciting feature that themes before did not.

Q: Adam Kaplan - Will The Beast get rain mode this season? I know Diamondback has it. I do understand the rain policy on the coasters but I would think since the block system is set up don't you thknk it can get rain mode?

A: As a regular guest I see frequently, I had to answer your question Adam. To explain our rain policy on coasters, we only run one coaster train during periods of sustained rain. This gets tricky when the weather decides to start and stop throughout the day. Our maintenance staff has to respond to every coaster and either subtract or add units depending on the decisions we make based on the forecast. As far as rain mode, we were fortunate to work with B&M who manufactured Diamondback and incorporated into its safety system the ability to keep two trains running during lighter periods of rain. Each coaster's safety control system is not indentical and therefore can not be duplicated like Diamondback. Furthermore, the other coasters do not have the technology that Diamondback does and do not allow for this type of programming. Trust me we have discussed this topic plenty because we want to keep things running as much as we can. Ultimately safety trumps all and we will continue to run one train on those rainy days.

That is interesting that they are bringing Sally in to do the retheme. I figured they would just take out all Scooby references, and just make it generic. I am excited to learn more about the former Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle

question 5: then how on earth did they get by with running more than one train after rain before Cedar Fair took over?

Safety was not of paramount importance... That's half-joking...

Does anyone else recall never hearing a safety spiel interrupting Tomb Raider's pre-show, or boarding music? Resulting in a lot of lost items in the lava pits?

I understand the whole Apollo deal, but I highly doubt that CF has not made some sort of decision on the issue of SoB in the event that they aren't sold. Yes, I know that if they did, they wouldn't tell us. But they could just say that. Do they decide the Planet Snoopy names a few weeks before that opens, too?

Did anyone else notice that in the date 3-16-10 made into double-digit numbers and added together is 31+61 = 92, which is only 574 from 666, which, as a date is 5-74 which is 2 years 1 month after Kings Island first opened, and 2+1 = 3, and 3 times 222 (which is a good number, because it's 3 2's) is 666 again!?

*bites nails nervously*

I don't know if I like this whole Apollo thing!

Did anyone else notice that in the date 3-16-10 made into double-digit numbers and added together is 31+61 = 92, which is only 574 from 666, which, as a date is 5-74 which is 2 years 1 month after Kings Island first opened, and 2+1 = 3, and 3 times 222 (which is a good number, because it's 3 2's) is 666 again!?

*bites nails nervously*

I don't know if I like this whole Apollo thing!

I think you just put too much effort into that one post...

IMO, he'll be lucky if he gets a third.

A miss is as good as a mile. I doubt he cares if he gets 2/3 minus one unit or no units at all. It's 2/3 of the units or nothing as far as this is concerned. . .

And if he doesn't get the 2/3, the Qs begin...with no apparent A's in sight at the moment.

Q.

Q.

Q.

Why?

Today's 5@5: (look at #4, it is very interesting)

Q: Travis Nuss - Is the Son of Beast going to be open for the 2010 season? I know you guys get lots of comments about the ride. Why haven't you guys not been saying one thing about this ride?

A: I am asked this question a ton. These types of decisions are not made overnight and as seen already in one off season. It still has not been decided and in my role I can only offer up my opinion which is one small part in a great number of discussions bigger than me. Cedar Fair will take the time it needs to make the best decision for all of our guests.

sounds like to me that it's getting the japanesse "special" dock treatment. anyone who remembers the movie "Days of Thunder" knows exactly what im talkin about.

Q: Tony Douglass - Are there any hints or clues as to what the new dark ride will be (or when we'll know)? I am most anxious about that!

A: Good things are always planned here! The manufacturer is Sally Corporation and they will come in and re-theme this ride to be as exciting as it always has been. The ride has had some awesome themes. Hanna-Barbera, Smurfs, Phantom Theater, and Scobby all of which kids loved. I can't give it away yet but the ride technology will not change and guests will still shoot targets to collect the highest score. Stay tuned as we unveil this one because it will have one mroe exciting feature that themes before did not.

IMO, the rides were better before the addition of lazer guns to shoot target's was added. but i am still lookin forward to checkin this out.

As a general rule, when interactivity goes up, attention to detail goes down. Looking back on it, I've never really seen much of the theme inside Scooby Doo because of always trying to hit the targets. I wish a company could come up with a way to introduce interaction without laser guns... Is that an oxymoron? i hope not.

One thing i hope they're going to do, since the guns remain, is to turn off the sound effect (or quiet it) and add at least a little mist to the building - the fact that you can't see where your shots are landing (not even a red dot on the wall... It's entirely invisible) makes it almost impossible to play, and is actually kind of embarrassing for me when I bring new people. They always comment on it afterwards and how useless it is that you can't even see the laser. Even a small poof of fog every 10 minutes or so would help greatly.