Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: Travis Nuss - is the main preson that started Kings Island is he still alive? if so how old is he/her

A: Travis, the individual that came up with the concept for Kings Island is Gary Wachs, who served as the park's first general manager. Gary and his father, Ralph Wachs, operated Coney Island. Gary came up with the idea for Kings Island in the early 60s. He was inducted into the Kings Island Walk of Fame last year.

---------------------------

Q: Tyler Nuskey - Any big plans when The Racer gives 100,000,000 rides?

A: It will be a big deal when The Racer has given its 100,000,000th ride. There's still a little more than 6 million rides to go before that milestone is reached, so it's going to be a few more years.

Q: Zach Clapper - How far ahead in the future do you guys plan for new attractions? What are possible things that change the plans? Is there and example from the past of plans changing?

A: Zach, there's always a five-year plan in place when it comes to new attractions. It's a confidential plan. A good example of how a past plan has changed is The Beast. The park originally planned to build a virtual replica of the Shooting Star roller coaster, which had been a very popular ride at Coney Island.

Q: Mike Dahlmer - A previous question was answered and it sparked some debate. You referred to Vortex as "The Vortex." Why one is considered correct by the park? On that same note, is it "The Beast" or just "Beast"? I eagerly await your response.

A: It depends on how you're referring to the ride as to whether it's The Vortex and The Beast or Vortex and Beast. For example, you would ask your friends if they wanted to ride The Beast. You wouldn't ask legendary Beast rider Carl Eichelman how many The Beast rides does he have. But if you looked at what the birth certificates for each ride say, it's Vortex and The Beast.

----------------------------

Q: Aaron Martin - The track work done on the helix of Beast last year was great and really had that part of the riding running good. Are there significant secetions of Beast (or racer) getting overhauled this year?

A: Aaron, both rides have had track work done during the offseason but not to the extent that you saw last year with the helix on The Beast.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=155893938367

Q: David McPeak - Why was the last hill on The Racer, right before the brake run, taken out years ago? For example, the new POV of The Racer you have on Kings Island Youtube page, shows it.

A: David, the last hill on each side of The Racer before heading into the station was removed when the park began the process of building Flight of Fear. The park had to open up an area under The Racer lift hill for guests to walk through to get to Flight of Fear. For safety reasons it was determined there was a need to remove the last hill.

Q: Travis Nuss - will Son of Beast be open 2010 season? i understand that stuff like this is not that easy to deal with but me and many people is this world would LOVE some news. could you please give your opinion about the ride?

A: Travis, not to sound like a broken record, but no decision has been made concerning the ride.

Q: Seth Campbell - With so much success being given from Diamondback, as it was the park's first B&M coaster, do you think we could see a B&M in the future? It sure does give some great success and reliability to its coasters.

A: Seth, our plan for future attractions is a confidential plan. With Diamondback, B&M lived up to their reputation with the product they delivered for our guests. Starting with the first test run, everything worked the way it was supposed to.

-----------------------------

Q: Brad Perdue - What ride takes up more time for winter rehab than any of the others? Can you tell us why? For example, more items are required to be replace by manufacturer than another, part are difficult to get to and work on, or a certain ride is older and just requires more attention.

A: Great question, Brad! The wood coasters take up a solid amount of time during the offseason. There is a lot more track work involved with wood coasters versus steel, and there is more involved with dismantling and rebuilding the trains. The wood coasters will also take a little more time to break in at the start of each season when testing begins. The two trains for the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad are also quite the project during the offseason. Like the coaster cars, the trains are also dismantled and rebuilt each year.

Q: David McPeak - Will the Diamondback crew tell you where to sit this year or can we choose what seat we want?

A: David, yes, the crew on Diamondback will continue to assign seats when you reach the station.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=155893938367

Q: David McPeak - Will the Diamondback crew tell you where to sit this year or can we choose what seat we want?

A: David, yes, the crew on Diamondback will continue to assign seats when you reach the station.

Honestly I like this how they assign your group or your self a seat. It keeps the station way less crowded and you don't always have to worry about getting on the same train as your friends and most of the times you do. Even if you do want to ride in a certain seat they will more then likely say yes but one time I was rudely told no for row 16 even though it was empty and during a power hour ( I rode 15 times during that power hour!) and that was when they broke the record. It really made me mad when I was told no. She looked like a teenager or in college and I was with a friend and I asked for row 16 and she said no you will go where I tell you to go and she wasn't joking either she kinda yelled it. I was attempted to do something about it.

What you are really saying is you have no problem with them controlling access to the station but you don't like it when they ASSIGN seats. For many years, Cedar Point's major coasters operated that way...with access to the station controlled, but you were allowed to choose your own seat (except the year that coasters opened...such as Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster).

It used to be that way at Kings Island too. Personally, I prefer it when the access to the stations is somewhat restricted, like on Diamondback, or sometimes with Backlot. It doesn`t feel like you are being hoarded and stampeded, like what happens a lot in Flight of Fear`s queue.

What you are really saying is you have no problem with them controlling access to the station but you don't like it when they ASSIGN seats. For many years, Cedar Point's major coasters operated that way...with access to the station controlled, but you were allowed to choose your own seat (except the year that coasters opened...such as Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster).

No, ive been told no before but not in a way like that. I was told no before because that line was full I was even told that and it actually was and I was like Oh ok no problem.

It used to be that way at Kings Island too. Personally, I prefer it when the access to the stations is somewhat restricted, like on Diamondback, or sometimes with Backlot. It doesn`t feel like you are being hoarded and stampeded, like what happens a lot in Flight of Fear`s queue.

Racers queue is the same sometimes even worse.

Sorry about two posts in a row.

I LOVE when the station access is restricted. Not necessary assigned seating, but it's such a relief to arrive at the Millennium Station and find that you don't have to wait through six cycles and try to get lined up with friends and such... But, it doesn't really happen anymore, does it? :\ It's MUCH less stressful, and makes the line seem shorter.

http://www.facebook....id=155893938367

Q: Travis Nuss - will Son of Beast be open 2010 season? i understand that stuff like this is not that easy to deal with but me and many people is this world would LOVE some news. could you please give your opinion about the ride?

A: Travis, not to sound like a broken record, but no decision has been made concerning the ride.

Based upon everything I've seen the last two days, I was expecting a different answer when I saw that they were answering this question today - something upon the lines of Son of Beast will remain closed for the foreseeable future and will not reopen until we are comfortable with the ride.

I guess what Im wondering about more than even that is.... why on Earth do they continue to post that question, knowing its going to be "answered" in the same dodgy way that would make any Politician proud. Are they THAT wanton for quality questions in the likely hundreds of questions they receive each day?

Well I'm sure the answer-er is glad they do - it requires they only answer four questions a day since one is a gimme, and as the days go by the questions continue to get more and more complex, as more and more enthusiasts ask them.

Thanks for the questions! Below are Thursday's Top 5@5.

Q: Damon Barnes - What made you decide to add midnight closings this year? I think they are great for teens and adults!

A: Damon, the midnight closings were quite popular with our guests last year. It gives our guests an additional two hours for night rides on thrill rides such as The Beast, Diamondback, Vortex and Delirium. It's also a great deal for our guests that chose to visit the park after 5pm.

Q: Tony Douglass - Is there a great possibility that by the end of this month we will know what the replacement will be, or have any sort of sneak peak of vehicle appearance, or lobby scenery? Who will Occupy the once great, Maestros booth? Or even the outdoor appearance?

A: Tony, work has begun on our new dark ride experience. We'll be sharing the details concerning the ride very soon.

Q: Ryan Suhr - Regarding everyone's favorite ride, Son of Beast..... The Business Courier kind of took the park's GM, Greg Scheid, out of context in an article when he said that SOB was a no-go for 2010. Now whiotv.com is reporting that Son of Beast will in fact open at some point in 2010. Is that the official word as of now - that Son of Beast will open some ... See Moretime in 2010, or was this just another fluke?

A: Ryan, the official word is the Son of Beast ride will not operate in 2010. It was announced this afternoon.

Q: Jackson Thurnquist - Is there any rough time schedule when we could expect to see the new Kings Island Website go public?

A: Jackson, I don't have an exact date and time but what I can tell you is we would like to have it up by the time the park opens for weekend operation April 17.

Q: Chris Hughes - What are some events this coming season that the park will be hosting besides the typcial Math and Science Days and Music in the Park Days? Also, what is the "private event" on the 18th of April?

A: Chris, special events will continue to dot that KI operating calendar in 2010. Once again we'll host the UC football team in August, as well as the school's men's and women's basketball and soccer programs. We'll have the second annual Scout sleepover, and the Run KI event with 10k and 5k race will be back with a new race director that we're excited to be working with, Don Connelly. He's arguably the most respected race director in the country. The Sean Hannity Freedom Alliance Concert returns for a third year on August 7. There's also Spirit Song, a three-day Christian concert series, and the JoyFest gospel concert. In the spring we have our annual JDRF and A Kid Again 5k walks. We have a few things we're in the process of finalizing the details on.

Q: Jeffrey Schoenstra - With all the other former King Island owned parks, transforming thier Scooby Doo Mansion into Boo Blasters, What is the fate of our KI ride?? My family and I have made it our first ride of the day, Do we need to find another ride? or another park? This will be our 10th opening day in a row,

A: Jeffrey, as we've mentioned, we will have a new dark ride experience for our guests in 2010. More information concerning the ride, including the name, will be announced the week of March 29.

Q: Ryan Suhr - Kings Island has gained a favorable reputation for its live shows and entertainment. Many of theses shows in the past few years have been produced in house. My question is, which of the in house shows was the park most proud of? I know that from personal observation, it seemed like shows that really stood out were Dead Awakening, Hot Blooded and Flashback Totally 80s come to mind as stand out shows, but in the eyes of the park, which one was the best?

A: Ryan, the shows you mentioned stand out. Long time Kings Island show enthusiasts have told us they really enjoy Down Home Country and Don't Stop the Music, both of which will return this season due to popular demand. If you're looking for the one show though that stands out, the edge at least in this corner goes to Hot Blooded.

Q: Gabriel Zelazny - If you could take any roller coaster from another park, which one would you put at Kings Island?

A: That's a tough one, Gabriel. There's so many good roller coasters out there. But if I had to pick just one I'd go with Prowler at World's of Fun.

Q: David McPeak - Is there a chance in the future that we could see the tunnels at the end of The Racer be removed? I think it would be neat to go through the brake run while looking out at the park.

A: David, the view of the park while on the brake run was a great one when the ride first opened, but over the years the trees around the ride have grown expedentially so the view wouldn't be what it once was. Removing the tunnels could happen some day, but at least for the foreseeable future they're there to stay.

Q: Tom Short - With no campground, and no official hotel(that we can afford to stay in), what does the park suggest for people that want to come in from out of town? Why would I choose Kings Island over other parks that may be in my driving range that offer these amenities?

A: Tom, there are a number of family-affordable hotels within 10-15 minutes of the park. Have you checked the hotel listings on our website? We would also be happy to send you a 2010 Getaway Guide that has a complete listing of all the hotels we work with. Why would you choose Kings Island? We have more than 80 world-class rides, shows and attractions, including 14 roller coasters, six live shows, a 15-acre water park that is included free with park admission, and a nine-time, award-winning Best Kids' Area in the World that is receiving for 2010 a fresh new look, Planet Snoopy. We offer a great product, a lot of bang for your buck.

A: Ryan, the shows you mentioned stand out. Long time Kings Island show enthusiasts have told us they really enjoy Down Home Country and Don't Stop the Music, both of which will return this season due to popular demand. If you're looking for the one show though that stands out, the edge at least in this corner goes to Hot Blooded.

Oh dear! Seriously? It might just be my tastes, but those would be my bottom two. :lol: I loved Endless Summer and Flashback: Totally 80's.

I'm definitely not a fan of Down Home Country. I sat and watched it during RWCW because my group was having lunch in Festhaus (And also because a saw that a person I graduated high school with was performing ;)) and when asked how I liked the show I believe I used the phrase "Cruel and unusual punishment" in my answer :P

But I don't think I've ever sat and watched Don't Stop The Music, so I guess that's on my list of things to do this year. I'm also looking forward to seeing Endless Summer on Ice if it will be showing again this year, and whatever they have showing in Planet Snoopy.

I'm definitely not a fan of Down Home Country. I sat and watched it during RWCW because my group was having lunch in Festhaus (And also because a saw that a person I graduated high school with was performing ;)) and when asked how I liked the show I believe I used the phrase "Cruel and unusual punishment" in my answer :P

But I don't think I've ever sat and watched Don't Stop The Music, so I guess that's on my list of things to do this year. I'm also looking forward to seeing Endless Summer on Ice if it will be showing again this year, and whatever they have showing in Planet Snoopy.

No more endless summer on ice it's going to be Snoopy Rocks On Ice!

http://www.pki.com/a...ry.cfm?ac_id=17

Q: David McPeak - Is there a chance in the future that we could see the tunnels at the end of The Racer be removed? I think it would be neat to go through the brake run while looking out at the park.

A: David, the view of the park while on the brake run was a great one when the ride first opened, but over the years the trees around the ride have grown expedentially so the view wouldn't be what it once was. Removing the tunnels could happen some day, but at least for the foreseeable future they're there to stay.

I would love to see a mural painting commissioned for the tunnels instead, but I'm not sure what the theme would be. I bet they can find someone to hire for cheap to do the job....I'd do it for the cost of paint! (Also, loving the use of 'expedentially' in this answer. :P)

I would love to see a mural painting commissioned for the tunnels instead, but I'm not sure what the theme would be. I bet they can find someone to hire for cheap to do the job....I'd do it for the cost of paint! (Also, loving the use of 'expedentially' in this answer. :P)

No need for paint either, just use all the gum that's accumulated over the years.

Today's 5@5!

Q: David McPeak - I noticed that in yesterday's 5@5 you mentioned that Kings Island has 14 coasters,I thought that the park always said 15 coasters? Is that because of SOB or is Snoopy Surf Dog no longer considered a coaster?

A: David, Kings Island has 14 roller coasters, including Surf Dog.

Q: Kyle Joyce - Any pictures of the new facade for Outer Hanks?

A: There are some photos of the new facade for Outer Hanks in the photo gallery of our FB page. We will add more photos of Outer Hanks the week of March 29. We will also include images of some of the rides being tested.

Q: Kyle Joyce - When will we find out more about the replacement for Spongebob 3D?

A: Kyle, we will announce the replacement for SpongeBob 3D in early April as part of a news release that includes all that's new for 2010.

Q: Alex Metz - Which is your favorite ride?

A: I have three: The Beast, Diamondback, and the train.

Q: Keith Harrison - As you update the website, are there plans to include allergen information for the food locations? It would make it easier for those with allergy issues to stay in the park and eat versus always having to leave for a local restaurant.

A: Keith, we are considering including the allergen information in the food locations. The information will be available at Guest Services located at the front gate.

Sounds like the week of the 29th will be an important one - lots of new photos are promised for that week, and Scooby Doo's replacement will both be announced. Not to mention, the following week will likely be when we learn Spongebob's replacement (notice that there apparently will be a replacement... "Fly Me to the Moon"? :P )