Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

well, for the record, i'm derrike marksberry. :), and i didn't ask the question to complain about smokers at the park, but for more of a way to see that they would try even harder to try to enforce this rule, especially since they gave smokers the whole tower gardens to use.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I wonder what other IT projects the park is working on.

Yes, I was the one that asked the WiFi question. It is amazing how much wifi technology has changed the way things are done. As part of my graduate assistant assignment in spring of last year, I was working with CERHAS, the Center for the Electronic Reconstruction of Historical and Archeological Sites, which is run out of DAAP (the College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning). The projects we were working on is developing software (or apps) that allows users to interact at historical sites. Based on the location of the handheld device, certain historical or informational information would be displayed on the device if the user had the app installed. If anyone has heard of geocaching, it is based on a similar concept.

Essentially, if the users entered the area where a dwelling used to stand, a page would pop up detailing the structure that used to reside there. If in another area there was a burial ground, when they walked over to that area, different information would appear on their device. One of the projects we were looking at was Serpent Mound, and many of the other native American earth works that are scattered about South West Ohio, including in Mariemont and Newotn.

The applications of such a technology being applied to amusement parks could offer amazing possibilities. Besides the kid tracker device that was mentioned in the 5@5 blog, I`m sure there are other possibilities, such as show times, menus, ride wait times, ride information, historical information, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

I bet you smokers would be more tempted to smoke where they're supposed to if it was more appealing. When I went to Beech Bend in Kentucky, the designated smoking areas were't just concrete corners with but ugly benches, it was a pretty looking wooden gazebo with trash cans and flowers and everything. I didn't see one smoker out of place, and I think if KI implimented something like this, then maybe they would have more success.

I'm still mourning over the loss of Tower Gardens, the last thing it needed was tobacco smoke.

Jackson, that is one of the best ideas I've come across on the boards. I participated in the last debate about smoking in the park but didn't have an answer other than more people being willing to stick to the smoking areas and better enforcement. People would definitely be more inclined if they were nice and relaxing. Obviously there are some funds involved but what a clever way to solve a major problem.

I agree that it's sad about the Tower Gardens

BTW, I nearly always visit with smokers.

If they want wifi at the park, they should talk to the folks at Lily Pad, who specialize in providing free wifi throughout the Cincinnati area. Good to hear they're working on it (and contrary to what was said in a previous 5@5, Starbucks at KI does not have wifi - or at least they didn't this past Saturday).

The applications of such a technology being applied to amusement parks could offer amazing possibilities. Besides the kid tracker device that was mentioned in the 5@5 blog, I`m sure there are other possibilities, such as show times, menus, ride wait times, ride information, historical information, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

There is an app called Ride Hopper which provides ride wait times for hundreds of parks including Kings Island. This is free and is available for IPod as well as Android phones. For all those who use Blackberry, unfortunately it's not offered yet.

There is an app called Ride Hopper which provides ride wait times for hundreds of parks including Kings Island. This is free and is available for IPod as well as Android phones. For all those who use Blackberry, unfortunately it's not offered yet.

I wish it was available for BB users :(

I wish it was available for BB users sad.gif

I sent an e-mail to the developers a few days ago to see if it would be available on BB. I wonder if they will get back to me.unsure.gif

Does Disney have something like this? I know you see it in the Verizon commercials, but I have not ever seen or heard of this park technology.

Remember, that app is unofficial and relies on other guest to update it. Also, the website list Geauga Lake, Americana, and Idora (which has been closed since 1984!). Somehow Erieview Park did not make it on to that app, as it closed more recently than the other two.

Here are some answers for Friday's 5@5 mailbag:

Bruce E Knolle Jr - You said before that we would be able to post our own pictures of rides and things to the new KI website and you guys might use them if you liked them. I love taking pictures of the rides at KI, when and where can I submit all my pictures?

We would absolutely welcome your photos. I’d be happy to check them out and if they work for the site I’ll see that they are used. Feel free to send them to matt.shafer@visitkingsisland.com

------------------------------

Sarah Grimes - What ride do you think is the greatest draw for people to come to the park?

Big, tall, fast, steel coasters work. But in my opinion, so does noise. I’m a firm believer in the theory that the more people hear “Kings Island” the better we will do. I’ve sat in lots of focus group sessions (on the other side of the mirror eating M&Ms actually). I’ve watched the moderator ask “how many people here plan on going to Kings Island?” Usually 8 or 9 hands out of 10 go up. When asked “how many people here went to KI last year?” usually half the number of hands go up. Most people intend to visit but one thing leads to another and next thing you know the season is over. Our job is to keep KI top of mind.

Gold / Platinum Passes

Lots of good Season Pass questions so I’ll try to cover at once. If you bought a Gold Pass it comes with Free season-long parking regardless of when you bought it. You can upgrade to Gold or buy one if you still need to until May 31. After that Gold is gone for the year. At any time you can upgrade your Gold to a Platinum so you can visit and park free at any of the other Cedar Fair parks. Gold and Platinum Passholders enjoy a long list of VIP perks at KI. One of them is Early Rides every day on Diamondback & Beast. One hour early on Saturdays. 30 min early all other days. Think I got them all.

Nick Mahoney - Does Boo blasters on boo hill record high scores for the ride? If so what is the highest score recorded?

To the best of my knowledge the ride does not record scores. I have ridden three times this year with scores ranging from 800-1200. Results not typical. I’m a professional.

Stan Byme - Last year I bought my toddler nephew a toy from your gift shop. A little later we were standing on the ramp watching the boats at Congo Falls...and before we could stop him he threw it into the water! (He got less than an hours use out of it.)

The next visit we noticed it was gone...so my question is, how often is the water cleaned out...and how do you do it?

Stuff in the water is picked out as part of our normal and ongoing cleaning process. Cleaning out the water itself is a good question and one I’m curious to find out about. You ask questions regularly (which we appreciate) so I’ll make sure to get to you when I track someone down who is smarter than me.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=155893938367

Nick Mahoney - Does Boo blasters on boo hill record high scores for the ride? If so what is the highest score recorded?

To the best of my knowledge the ride does not record scores. I have ridden three times this year with scores ranging from 800-1200. Results not typical. I'm a professional.

http://www.facebook....id=155893938367

I'm a professional!!! HAHA LOVE IT!

We'll be at the park all weekend and happy to take your questions here for Saturday's 5@5 mailbag:

Tyler Nusky - Do you plan to change the reciepts that currently say Happy Days Diner to Juke Box Diner?

I’ve not eaten there yet this year so I can’t say I’ve seen it. I just forwarded your message to someone in F&B. If you are correct, I’ll buy your next Juke Box meal. I’m good for it!

Nick Honea - Do KI coupons that are sometimes at schools or other public places still allow your admission to count towards a season pass?

Yes. You can always upgrade your single day ticket to a two-day ticket or a season pass. We scan your ticket and give you credit for what you paid. You do have to this before you leave the park though. Many people take advantage of this. The coupon gets them here and their experience makes them want to upgrade.

Brett BeFair Fehr - How many people does it take to run KI on a regulary basis? And how is this number split up (Janiters, Ride Ops, Executives, etc

Roughly 4,000 seasonal positions are running this park on a given summer day. They rank in this order: Food, Rides, Merch, Games. After that are Park Services, Admissions, Lifeguards (still hiring), Entertainment, HR, Marketing, etc.

Aaron Daniel Bort - When is Red Racer going to open for the season? And will they race the trains more consisent this year?

Shouldn’t be much longer. Look at it this way, right now blue is winning every race. We do place more emphasis on “racing” than before. Loading and unloading isn’t always consistent though. Dramatically different now than it was in Don’s day. People brought less stuff then. If one train is ready and the other is not even close – why make the ready train wait?

Tim Brown - I've never experienced this first hand, but I've heard that during weather severe enough to shut down rides that it's common for indoor rides like Flight of Fear and The Crypt to also shut down. I would think having several indoor attractions would come in handy during bad weather. So the question is why would weather affect an indoor attraction or is that even true or just a rumor? Thanks! (crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't rain too bad tomorrow!)

Storms can play havoc with electrical systems so being indoors can keep you dry but that doesn’t make them weatherproof. Also, thanks Tim for the website height typos. I think we fixed the ones you pointed out and are looking for others. Sorry, no free sandwich for you though.

http://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland?ref=ts#!/note.php?note_id=387169771948

Answers to Sunday's 5@5 mailbag below:

Tyler Nusky – Sweet. Gonna eat at Juke Box Diner tomorrow! Love those burgers!

Tyler, which day next weekend and what time works best for you to enjoy one of those burgers at Juke Box Diner? BTW … as of this morning the receipts now state Juke Box Diner.

Miracle’s Aleis – Are there people at the park at night? Guards or something?

There are people at the park 24/7/365. During the operating season maintenance and park services will begin their work as soon as the park closes. There’s a lot of work that has to be done to have the park ready to open the next day, and usually less than 12 hours to have it all done.

Ryan Suhr – I heard a rumor today that guests had been housed in the Flight of Fear “spaghetti bowl” in the past when tornadoes had been spotted in the area. My question is, to your knowledge has that ever really happened, and additionally what is the park’s procedure for keeping guests safe during a tornado warning?

Ryan, in the event a tornado would be spotted near Kings Island, specific locations have been established as designated shelters for individual buildings and attractions throughout the park for our guests and associates to move to. For example, if you were by the new Euro-Bobble attraction in Coney Mall and a tornado was spotted near the park, the place you would be taken to would be the Action Theater basement. As far as the rumor you heard about guests being housed in the “spaghetti bowl” of Flight of Fear, not that I’m aware of. There is another location in the building of that attraction we would move our guests to in the event a tornado was spotted near the park. The closest a tornado has ever come to the park was April 3, 1974, when a tornado – after hitting an area along I-275 between Milford and Loveland – touched down again briefly in Montgomery and then a little over four miles from the park in Mason.

Austin Benton – OK…I was on the website and I saw Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular…it sounds amazing but can we have a little more detail like where in the park will it take place and how is it done?

Austin, if you’ve been to the park this year, you may have noticed lights on the trees located along the midways behind the Eiffel Tower in the area around Backlot Stunt Coaster and as you head towards Rivertown. There will also be lights from top to bottom on the Eiffel Tower. There will be three different shows per night, which will begin at dusk and run daily from May 29 through Labor Day. Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular is something, Austin, you’re going to want to see and experience. It’s interactive and will be unlike any light show you’ve seen before.

Derrike Marksberry – Should we be expecting to see a new 4-D movie to grace the Action Theater by the end of the season? No offense, but SpongeBob is starting to get a little old.

Derrike, what you see in Action Theater now is what you’ll see playing through Labor Day. I can understand how the current movie may be starting to get old to you, but at the same time, but it’s still exciting and new for many of our guests. The fact the SpongeBob movie had remained popular with our guests is the reason we chose to bring it back this year.

link

wow, i didn't mean for my opinion on spongbob to sound rude, like it ended up sounding.

Well, part of that is because that end of Coney Mall is really dead. The only thing that is down that way is The Vortex exit, and the restroom. And of course the new EuroBobble attraction.

Personally, I think that real estate that the EuroBobble sits on is prime real estate for a new flat ride. Can we please get our Eagles back from Carowinds? That would be a perfect spot for them!