Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

As a former ride op, I actually don't see an issue with KI's method of counting people. It's not that difficult to click a clicker or press a button, and writing down the numbers only takes a few seconds as well. Turnstiles do have their places - the train is a great example. Can you imagine trying to count all those people each time? I'm not sure what the actual "capacity" of the train is, but I'm guessing it's well over 100 people per ride, especially if you count the kids that ride on their parents' laps.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was on Beast crew many, many moons ago... there was a button to the right of the drivers panel. As the train was released out of the station, the person driving looked down out of the side window of the booth checking lap bars and pressing the button for every empty seat. The computer monitoring system then deducted the number of times the button was pressed from each hourly capacity. The crew head kept a paper log of the hourly capacity totals which was turned into the Ride Operations Dept that evening.

When on the FOF crew, there was a manual hand clicker the driver used to keep counts each hour.

Many of the flat ride simply relied on turnstyles.

I could go on and on... but basically, at that time, there was a virtually a different procedure for keeping capacities on almost every ride in the park.

Shaggy

Shaggy, you are completely right about how Beast keeps capacity. That button is still used to deduct the number of empty seats. On a side note for everyone else, Beast's computer system automatically adds 1 train and 36 riders to the hourly count every time a train crests the top of the first lift hill. By pressing the Empty Seat Counter button on the side of the panel, it subtracts the number of empty seats from the 36 that were automatically added to the count.

Most if not all of the coasters at KI have this feature. AE had the same feature and it would count the train and 30 seats just after the train exited the station. The computer will tell you the current hour's capacity and number of trains dispatched, the previous hour's information, and the total information for that day. You could also find out the year-to-date capacity for the ride.

Thursday's 5@5 questions and answers below:

Mike Dahlmer - I read this Friday is a Math & Science Day. I have a Gold Pass, can I still come to the park?

Mike, the park is open to the public on Math & Science Days. Park hours are 10am to 10pm on Math & Science Days. They’re great days to come out and ride!

------------------------------

Adam Woltermann – Is KI going to add something to the train in 2011 to make it more exciting???

Adam, as we’ve mentioned before, we’d like to make a ride on the train more of an experience for our guests, and we’ve had several discussions about the ride in recent months. We don’t have anything in motion concerning the ride for 2011. All we have right now are some ideas. What ideas do you have for the ride, Adam?

Michael Eshom – Does KI still have the “public notice” sign that was apparently stationed near the original entrance to The Beast? If so, are there any plans to put it back up?

We still have the sign, but there are no plans to put it back up. There’s not really a place for it. It was a way to introduce the ride in 1979, but the sign was only up for a few years before it was removed. In fact, the sign was covered up for most of the 1981 season by a Countdown to Carl Eichelman’s 2,000th ride on The Beast sign.

Daniel Bruington – Is there a chance that Flight of Fear will ever return to 6-car (per train) operation?

I don’t think so, Daniel. There’s no reason to make a change back to the way the trains originally were on that ride.

Alex Branscome – How long does your typical day at work (I guess the park and offices) last during the operating season, both on open and closed days.

When you work in the amusement/theme park industry, you don't have what you might call typical days. The hours vary day-to-day, week-to-week, depending on what’s going on. Some days I might be at the park from 8:00am until around 6:00pm, and there are other days I might be there from open to close. It really just depends on what’s going on with special events and things of that nature.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=388599016948

And, I don`t think that Flight of Fear at Kings Island ever had a six car per train operation. While similar rides at Six Flags parks do have six cars on each train, I`m fairly certain that Kings Islands only ever had five. The station is not really set up for a sixth car.

And, I don`t think that Flight of Fear at Kings Island ever had a six car per train operation. While similar rides at Six Flags parks do have six cars on each train, I`m fairly certain that Kings Islands only ever had five. The station is not really set up for a sixth car.

If you look, there's a spot for the sixth car, they just modified the railing. Notice the empty, but still straight space, just enough for another car:

p27255.jpg

Mike Dahlmer - I read this Friday is a Math & Science Day. I have a Gold Pass, can I still come to the park?

Mike, the park is open to the public on Math & Science Days. Park hours are 10am to 10pm on Math & Science Days. They’re great days to come out and ride!

On our paper for this event, the teacher states that 'Due to the educational nature of this day, only selected rides, food and merchandise ares will be open throughout the park.' This is a quote from the park, found on this page about the Math & Science Days: http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/visit/events/education_days_faq.cfm

Hopefully the people who wander in are pass holders, because I can surely see some general public ticket buyers getting frazzled when they come in and find out some attractions are closed...

That's the way it was when I worked there back in 2005 - only select rides and sections of the park participated in M&S Day. The other areas were blocked off entirely, and opened at 5pm. At the time though I don't even think the park was open to those not participating in M&S Day until 5pm.

On the particular Math & Science Day that I attended last year as a Platinum Pass holder, the entire park was open to the public, and I can't say I remember any major rides being closed. There were some 'minor' or smaller flats that weren't running, if I remember correctly (Shake Rattle & Roll etc), but all the major flats, coasters, food stands and whatnot were all open to any and all.

Looking at the webcam, the park appears to be virtually empty. Not sure what to make of that. The Math & Science day I attended was quite busy up until I left that park around 6:00PM

On the particular Math & Science Day that I attended last year as a Platinum Pass holder, the entire park was open to the public, and I can't say I remember any major rides being closed. There were some 'minor' or smaller flats that weren't running, if I remember correctly (Shake Rattle & Roll etc), but all the major flats, coasters, food stands and whatnot were all open to any and all.

Looking at the webcam, the park appears to be virtually empty. Not sure what to make of that. The Math & Science day I attended was quite busy up until I left that park around 6:00PM

Yeah, looks pretty sparse. Is The Racer cam down? It looks funny for me.

Yep, I know for a fact that FoF used to run with 6-car trains. It also used to run more than 2 trains at one time...

With as long as the lines for it are, I don't understand why people at the park feel like "there's no reason to make a change back to the way the trains originally were on that ride..."

Yep, I know for a fact that FoF used to run with 6-car trains. It also used to run more than 2 trains at one time...

With as long as the lines for it are, I don't understand why people at the park feel like "there's no reason to make a change back to the way the trains originally were on that ride..."

Just be happy FOF is still open at Kings Island. If Paramount had their way it would be at another park.

^Oh, trust me, I am happy that we still have FoF! I was getting worried for a while, back when KD's version went its a long hiatus...

I just wish the park would take every measure they could to increase capacity and provide every guest with the best experience possible.

BTW, is FoF running any smoother this season than it did last? The ride seemed unusually shaky to me (in the rear of the train) throughout the entire 2009 season.

To me, it was running a LOT smoother. And there never an intention to move it to another park, right? Just speculation that maybe it would be MTV themed... But why would they move it? It would be a lot of work to get it all out of the building / get the building down.

Our answers to your questions for Friday's 5@5 Mailbag:

Stan Byme - Not counting the arcade games, which Coney Mall game seems to be the most popular?

I like these kinds of questions. I don’t know the answers so I have to dig a bit…your answer is: 3pt Challenge. Followed by Bank-a-Ball.

Nick Honea - Why are the coasters listed under Thrill Rides (Family Rides for AE and BLSC; Planet Snoopy for Woodstock Express, FAAC, Great Pumpkin Coaster, and Surf Dog) and not a page called "Roller Coasters" like Cedar Point and Carowinds?

It’s a park-to-park thing. We felt it was better to categorize by Thrill Rides or Family Rides. Ride On. Or Fun & Only. We gave Planet Snoopy its own tab because it’s the new thing. Personal preference. Doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong.

David McPeak - What is the biggest challenge for running an amusement park?

Our first priority is safety. Everything else is secondary. A lot of people come through our gates each year and keeping them safe is job one. Then we need to make sure they are happy, treated right, and enjoy a clean and memorable day. It takes a tremendous amount of work from a lot of people behind the scenes to make it all happen. It really is like running a major city. Oh yeah…and rain.

Brian Krosnick - A video for verification... Around 1:10. It's only a half-splashdown, but its still great! And our "aqueduct" is always filled with rain water anyways... Why not re-add the splash apparatus as they did?! :P I'd give you a great big hug!

There are a lot of great things in this video. I might argue that the “splashdown” is not one of them. Guess you’d disagree. Next time you ride, look just to the right and you’ll see a big splashdown. Kidding aside, I will see if there are any plans to adjust this year.

Austin Benton - What do you love most about your job and Kings Island?

Everyone has their own thing. For me it’s the fact that we can create things and see them working. We’re big enough to have great resources but small enough that each person on the team can contribute in a big way. It’s fun to come up with an idea and see it in action later. There really is a small list of people that have had the chance to do what we do at Kings Island. Sometimes forget we’re lucky to have such a cool gig.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=155893938367

There are a lot of great things in this video. I might argue that the “splashdown” is not one of them. Guess you’d disagree. Next time you ride, look just to the right and you’ll see a big splashdown. Kidding aside, I will see if there are any plans to adjust this year.

I'd agree with them. BLSC's "splashdown" never really impressed me, especially compared to the caliber of effects throughout the rest of the ride. I can't imagine how weak it would look across the midway from DB's.

One effect I thought of that would be cool to add to BLSC, though, would be a timed truck horn and 2 bright lights inside the tunnel. You make the turn to head through the "burst through" hole but hear a very, very loud truck horn and see "headlights" coming at you. That would be a fun way to spice up the usually dark tunnel! (admittedly, this effect borrows from a similar idea at EPCOT's Test Track - just to be fair)

One effect I thought of that would be cool to add to BLSC, though, would be a timed truck horn and 2 bright lights inside the tunnel. You make the turn to head through the "burst through" hole but hear a very, very loud truck horn and see "headlights" coming at you. That would be a fun way to spice up the usually dark tunnel! (admittedly, this effect borrows from a similar idea at EPCOT's Test Track - just to be fair)

Ahh! The old truck gag. Believe it or not, this same effect has been used in Dark Rides since the 1950s (or earlier).

Did some searching on DAFE and found the earliest one I could find. Wonderful website, by the way.

fj03.jpg

One classic gag in this ride is the oncoming bus, an idea that Paul borrowed from Indiana Beach, which actually used the front of a Mack truck.

Ahh! The old truck gag. Believe it or not, this same effect has been used in Dark Rides since the 1950s (or earlier).

Did some searching on DAFE and found the earliest one I could find. Wonderful website, by the way.

fj03.jpg

One classic gag in this ride is the oncoming bus, an idea that Paul borrowed from Indiana Beach, which actually used the front of a Mack truck.

Nice work! I knew the concept had been around for a while, but Test Track was the iteration I thought most here would be familiar with.

That would be a great way, IMO, to make up for the "loss" of the splashdown.

If you look, there's a spot for the sixth car, they just modified the railing. Notice the empty, but still straight space, just enough for another car:

p27255.jpg

also, keep in mind that all the models are of this roller coaster are practically identical to one another, so maybe Kings Island just decided to be different and only have five car trains and keep the track model unchanged.

p27255.jpg

also, keep in mind that all the models are of this roller coaster are practically identical to one another, so maybe Kings Island just decided to be different and only have five car trains and keep the track model unchanged.

Kings Island had the FIRST one, so they would have no idea whether or not they would build any more after ours. Besides, they dont do ANYTHING just to do it, there is a reason, but if they tell you that or whether you like it is a different story...

Another late one. Sorry. Answers for Saturday's 5@5 Mailbag:

Travis Nuss - what ride would you bring back from the past? i think king cobra

That would certainly be a good one to bring back. For my money, the Antique Cars can’t be beat.

Tim Brown - You said first priority is safety so I have a safety question. In 2009 the metal detectors were not being used all the time. Will they be running consistantly this year and why were they shut off during parts of last year? I assumed it was for a good reason like a maintenance issue or the cost of powering them. One time the detectors caught a pocket knife I forgot I had on me (and intended to leave in the car) and it made me feel that much more safe at the park. Thanks

Our entrance procedure has been modified over the years and the overall plan involves much, much more than just the metal detectors. There are no maintenance or power cost issues. We may use them every day or we may use them randomly. Those decisions are made and adjusted on an ongoing basis.

Daniel Bruington Why are the lights on inside the tunnels of The Beast and Backlot Stunt Coaster? It really takes away from the rides...especially at night (which is what The Beast is 'known' for).

I honestly don’t know the answer to this but since you’ve been patient I will make sure to ask someone in the morning. I can see your point for sure.

Bruce E Knolle Jr Why is Action Theater not listed anywhere on the KI website? It's not listed rides or even under shows.

Oversight. Nothing more. We were waiting on the decision for that film when the site was launched and never went back to add it. I will make sure this is added tomorrow. Thanks. And thanks for the picture you sent today.

Jennifer Farmer Dent We went on Boo Blaster on opening day and my 3 year old son was a bit freaked out by the skeletons. He refused to ride again. Then, we got him to ride again yesterday and as previously stated above the skeletons were off. As asked, was this just a daily malfunction or was it deemed too intense for others? If so, I'd recommend replacing with something elsesoon (or turn them back on) as that part of pretty much pitch blackness has the potential to scare a child more than shrieking skeletons (which I thought was intense..more Haunt than former Scooby...but very cool)! Good ride...and I am glad my son gave it a second chance (he loved it this time and was so proud he did it...he's a fan again)!

I’m glad you got him to ride and am happy that he liked it. My kid wouldn’t try the first time but I intend to suggest again next visit. The skeleton room experienced a technical issue. That’s it. Not changing it. It is more intense but I have yet to see a single complaint on the ride. We have gotten nothing but compliments to this point.

Jennifer Farmer Dent We went on Boo Blaster on opening day and my 3 year old son was a bit freaked out by the skeletons. He refused to ride again. Then, we got him to ride again yesterday and as previously stated above the skeletons were off. As asked, was this just a daily malfunction or was it deemed too intense for others? If so, I'd recommend replacing with something elsesoon (or turn them back on) as that part of pretty much pitch blackness has the potential to scare a child more than shrieking skeletons (which I thought was intense..more Haunt than former Scooby...but very cool)! Good ride...and I am glad my son gave it a second chance (he loved it this time and was so proud he did it...he's a fan again)!

I'm glad you got him to ride and am happy that he liked it. My kid wouldn't try the first time but I intend to suggest again next visit. The skeleton room experienced a technical issue. That's it. Not changing it. It is more intense but I have yet to see a single complaint on the ride. We have gotten nothing but compliments to this point.

Well, theres the answer to this thread: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21331

Im happy.smile.gif

Another late one. Sorry. Answers for Saturday's 5@5 Mailbag:

Daniel Bruington Why are the lights on inside the tunnels of The Beast and Backlot Stunt Coaster? It really takes away from the rides...especially at night (which is what The Beast is 'known' for).

I honestly don't know the answer to this but since you've been patient I will make sure to ask someone in the morning. I can see your point for sure.

I was at the park Saturday night and I noticed this too. I hope they will go back to no lights!