Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

Travis Nuss – Why has one side of the Action Theater not been used that much?

Travis, one side of Action Theater has been used for the past two years for one of our most popular mazes during Halloween Haunt, Urgent Scare.

------------------------------

Jennifer Farmer Dent – On Sunday's "Bring a Friend" for $9.99, can you only bring 1 friend per pass…or more than one?

Jennifer, you can use your Gold or Platinum pass to get one friend in for $9.99 this Sunday. Your other friends can save $15 off the front gate price by buying their tickets in advance online.

Eric Skinner – Do you know what rides will be open this Friday as it is a Math and Science Day?

The Beast, Diamondback, Vortex, Racer, Drop Tower, Invertigo, Flight Deck, Dodgem, Scrambler, Shake, Rattle 'N Roll, Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, The Crypt, Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad, Eiffel Tower, White Water Canyon, Congo Falls, and Planet Snoopy. Park hours are 10am – 10pm Friday. Early rides on Diamondback and The Beast begin at 9:30am for Gold and Platinum passholders. There won't be any live shows Friday, or Breakfast with the PEANUTS Gang.

Aaron Martin – Nice shout out on Glee last night. Were you guys aware that Kings Island would be mentioned or was it a nice surprise?

It was a surprise, Aaron. As soon as Oliva Newton-John mentioned Kings Island, the e-mails and text messages came pouring in from people asking if I was watching the show. Of course I was! Who doesn't watch Glee?

Tyler Mullins – What has happened to the "Walk of Fame" starts in the Tower Gardens? Have they been relocated or permanently removed?

The Walk of Fame is being relocated to another area of the park. We'll be adding more to the Walk of Fame than just having the handprint of inductees on display. It will be late June or early July before it's unveiled.

http://www.facebook....id=390431841948

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The walk of fame is something KI started a few years ago which honors well known KI former employees. They put their handprints into a mold of concrete similar to the stars in Hollywood. It's currently in the tower gardens area which was formerly the Paramount story.

I think Carmen Electra and some of the Brady Bunch are a in there, but I can't remember exactly.

The gate was added in 2004 with the re-theme of the waterpark to Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay.

Nope, I used that gate to enter WaterWorks in 2003. It's also present on the 2002 park map.

You are correct. After I posted that, I began to question myself. My answer didn't seem quite right... it seemed to me that it had been there before 2004, but I remembered being out there all day every day Boomerang Bay's opening weekend to make sure that something worked, so that's why I thought it was 2004. After reading your post I remembered exactly WHY I was out there both days that weekend.

The weekend that Crocodile Dundee's Boomerang Bay premiered was also the first weekend that the handheld scanners used at the season pass gate automatically uploaded numbers to the park's attendance system wirelessly. In the years prior to that, we had to take the handheld scanners into the office, place them in a dock, and manually hit a button to upload the data. I was out there to make sure that the wireless uploading worked, and to be on hand in case any problems arose. The process went without any major hitches.

Thanks for jogging my memory, PKIDelirium! When you work in one place for a long time (16 straight years at KI, 10 of those in Admissions) all the years tend to run together.

Griffin Hodges - Not to be a stickler or anything, but I have noticed that this 5@5 has become more of a 5@later-than-5. I understand that you have a job (an awesome one at that) and don't get me wrong, I GREATLY appreciate what you are doing for all of the fans of KI, but I'm sure people would appreciate a little timeliness

No offense taken. 5pm sounded like a great idea at the time. Many times though the office is buzzing around 5 so it's hard to sit down and give this the thought it deserves. Plus many times a question involves some digging so it takes a bit. In my case I'm also trying to get the kids home and get some food in their bellies. Then I have to sneak off with my computer so my wife doesn't yell "are you still playing on Facebook? What do you do on there all the time?" I appreciate your comment though.

Oh, if I had a nickel for every time my wife has said that to me... laugh.gif

What's the 'walk of fame'?

As Pagoda Gift Shop said above, it honors significant former employees of Kings Island. It was started in 2008. The inductees that year were Carmen Electra (or Tara Patrick as those of us who went to high school with her knew her as back then wink.gif), Dennis Speigel and Janeen Coyle. 2009 inductees were Gary Wachs and Rich Walberg.

For more info, see here for 2008 and here for 2009.

Interesting... I never knew Janeen Coyle worked at KI, despite having listened to her on the radio quite a bit in high school (for those who don't live in the Cincinnati area, she's the morning show co-anchor on WGRR [103.5]).

Eric Skinner – Do you know what rides will be open this Friday as it is a Math and Science Day?

The Beast, Diamondback, Vortex, Racer, Drop Tower, Invertigo, Flight Deck, Dodgem, Scrambler, Shake, Rattle 'N Roll, Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, The Crypt, Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad, Eiffel Tower, White Water Canyon, Congo Falls, and Planet Snoopy. Park hours are 10am – 10pm Friday. Early rides on Diamondback and The Beast begin at 9:30am for Gold and Platinum passholders. There won't be any live shows Friday, or Breakfast with the PEANUTS Gang.

I really hope that's not supposed to be a list of the rides that are going to be open in the morning...

That's exactly what it is. I don't really see a problem with that - they're opening most of the major rides. Keep in mind that a large percentage of KI employees still have school this time of year, and therefore cannot work in the morning. They will likely open other rides later in the day as employee availability permits...

That's exactly what it is. I don't really see a problem with that - they're opening most of the major rides. Keep in mind that a large percentage of KI employees still have school this time of year, and therefore cannot work in the morning. They will likely open other rides later in the day as employee availability permits...

That's what I mean. I know for a fact that that many rides won't be open tomorrow morning.

Actually, when I went a year ago, every ride was open that they said it would be, then some! Please, KI delivers on this topic at least..

I can at the very least tell you that WWC will not be open in the morning tomorrow. I am a supervisor there and I have two and maybe three people coming in including me. It takes 6 people to run that ride. In addition, no one would ride it. Crypt will also probably not be open in the morning, just like last Friday. All of the rides in Planet Snoopy will not be open either. Most will, but not all.

EDIT: Just noticed that he doesn't list BLSC, and yet it was open last Friday. It will open before Crypt and WWC, and most likely Train.

buckeyemaniac - what exactly is the value of you contradicting what was stated in the 5@5. I'd be willing to bet the person answering the questions was providing the best information that he/she had available at the time. They also never said that these rides will all be open in the morning.

Next time, I'd recommend that you think about how you could have shared additional information in a helpful manner - for example: For anyone planning to come on Friday, please note that not all the rides listed will be open all day (for example WWC) due to limited staffing. This is because many KI ride ops are students still in school. Sounds a lot better than: "I really hope that's not supposed to be a list of the rides that are going to be open in the morning..."

Just trying to be helpful.

Let's be honest. Maybe a 6. The stairs leading to the loading platform alone make it a 5... Though the dragon is wearing a tuxedo, which is more like a 4.5 because he looks so suave and trustworthy...

And yes, I do imagine that that's really how they figure out ride ratings.

:lol: Haha! That is how Kings Island rates their rides! How can Drop Tower have a 4, but Adventure Express have a 5!?

Below are the questions selected for Thursday’s 5@5 mailbag:

Aaron Martin – Thumbs up on the new pavers! Any pictures you can share of them? I won’t be able to make it to the park for a few weeks..

Thanks, Aaron! We’ll take some pictures of the new brick pavers at the front of International Street for you this weekend. The brick pavers really enhance the look and feel of the park in the areas that we now have them.

Tyler Mullins – I noticed the addition of a new water-screen to the International Showplace last year during Halloween Haunt. It was used for “Hot Blooded,” but will it be returned for “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” or any other shows this year?

Tyler, the water-screen was designed for the Hot Blooded show during Halloween Haunt. It was a great effect for that show. You won’t see it being used for “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” or any of our other live shows during our core season.

Derrike Marksberry – Out of all the flat rides you have ridden, which one would you say was the most intense?

The most intense flat ride I’ve ridden would have to be the Scrambler. I’m spent after riding it.

Brian Krosnick – Has a really unlikely person ever won the swing-the-hammer-as-hard-as-you-can-and-light-up-the-tower game in Coney Mall?

Every day we see guests play the game and win that you might not think would. At the same time, we see guests who you think have a good shot at winning not even come close. How have you fared when playing the game?

Travis Nuss – What happened to the paw prints in the front of The Beast? How long was the max wait for The Beast on the 1st day it was open back in 1979?

We now have the brick pavers in The Beast plaza area where the paw prints used to be. The wait time for The Beast the day it made its public debut April 14, 1979 was about 1:15 minutes for most of the day. The following weekend the wait time exceeded two hours.

Let's be honest. Maybe a 6. The stairs leading to the loading platform alone make it a 5... Though the dragon is wearing a tuxedo, which is more like a 4.5 because he looks so suave and trustworthy...

And yes, I do imagine that that's really how they figure out ride ratings.

:lol: Haha! That is how Kings Island rates their rides! How can Drop Tower have a 4, but Adventure Express have a 5!?

Because of the forces on the body I'm guessing. Think about it, Drop Tower does not have any lateral forces, very little positive G's, and negative G's for 2 seconds during the drop. Compare that Adventure Express which I'm sure has much stronger forces in all 3 categories. Of course, most would vote DT a more 'intense' ride, but that is mainly due to anxiety I would think.

Answers for Friday's 5@5 mailbag below:

Stan Byme - Do you know of an amusing story about those huge stuffed Coney Mall prizes...such as someone not being able to get it into their car?

You see a lot of funny or odd things at the park during a summer. I would watch that reality show. One of the strangest I saw last year was a very heavy set woman riding a motorized wheelchair. Tied to the back of it was a giant stuffed tiger in the clear bag. Riding on top of the bagged Tiger being dragged down I-Street were her kids. Not what I expected to see at the time.

Derrike Marksberry - Is there any chance that sometime in the relative future X-Base will officially be deemed a separate area, such as coney mall and rivertown are?

That section of the park has expanded and there is plenty of room to continue in that direction but I’m not sure it would ever not be considered part of Coney Mall.

Brad Perdue - I would love to see some KI logo'ed Polo's in the shops. Not sure if I have mised them, but I have not seen any yet this season. Can I request that polo's be considered as an item avaliable for sale

I was in the Reds gift shop on Wednesday and was impressed by their Polo offerings. I left my $85 in the car so I didn’t get one but they were nice. I will mention this to our merch director tomorrow. He’s been around a long time and I’m sure he’d be selling them if they were popular enough.

Scott Littleton - Is it possible to include menus and/or prices on the website for the food options at Kings Island? It would really help in my budgeting of trips this year.

We did have the menu for each location listed last year. I wasn’t sure if that was helpful at all so we went more generic this year but adding it back is easy to do. http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/park/dining/index.cfm

Nick Mahoney I was looking at the park map awhile ago and noticed Adventure Express is rated 5 and Drop Tower is rated a 4 why is this?

Manufacturer recommendation on Adventure Express and Drop Tower. A ride like Drop Tower may be more thrilling, but AE has twists and turns and pulls more negative g’s.

Great question Brad, on my last trip I wanted to shop for a nice KI polo style shirt too. I think this years t-shirt styles and selection is much better than years past but I rarely will ever wear a t-shirt unless I am doing yard work. If KI does get KI polo shirts in and they are not priced sky high then I look forward to purchasing one. :D

Adventure Express has sharp turns and curves, and is kind of rough. While it may only be somewhat 60 feet tall and 30mph, the curves kind of pull some Gs. I was thinking about all that. Drop Tower is just a straight free-fall down a STRAIGHT line. No bumps, curves, or really not much roughness.

I too would consider buying a polo Kings Island shirt if one was available.

And those ride rating numbers are not, I believe, based on manufacturer recommendation. In fact, up until about five years ago, Kings Island didn`t even have ride ranking numbers for the intensity of the rides. And once Cedar Fair purchased the park from Paramount, several rides, including Adventure Express, saw their ride intensity number INCREASE. As stated, the numbers are based on the g-forces, and the amount of rapid directional changes. Adventure Express has a lot more transitions with lateral gs than does Drop Tower. The intensity numbers are there to give guests an idea of how intense the ride is, so that they can better decide if they are physically able to ride.

Riding on top of the bagged Tiger being dragged down I-Street were her kids.

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that that was quite a site!

The intensity numbers are there to give guests an idea of how intense the ride is, so that they can better decide if they are physically able to ride.

This is probably the most interesting thing that I have learned about the park lately...I always thought the numbers represented how "scary" a ride was.