Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is still a large concrete footing behind the driver's station at Zephyr. I've been wondering what that was from.

Still trying to get them to answer my question about the carousel organ (plus it's the only question I can think of right now :P)

Below are the questions selected for Monday's 5@5 mailbag:

Lisa Miller Maynard – We bought the bucket of cotton candy where you can get refilled for $1.99, is it like the cups you can bring on your next visit to the park and get refilled for the refill price? We were there Saturday, and my 3 year twins loved Planet Snoopy!

Lisa, your cotton candy bucket is good for refills for just $1.99 all season long. A popcorn bucket is also new this year. Great to hear your twins had a great time in Planet Snoopy. Did they meet Snoopy?

------------------------------

Travis Nuss – Why are you closed for a week or two before Halloween Haunt?

The park is closed for a private event the two weekends before Halloween Haunt begins. Private events have been held at the park in September since the park opened in 1972.

Zach Clapper – Will any Bengals players be visiting the park this year? The new draft picks would be cool to meet.

Several players will be visiting the park this year, but as of right now not as part of a "Bengals Day" event like we have with the Reds and UC sports programs. When most of the players are in town they're at rookie camp, mini-camp, or the regular training camp in Georgetown, Ky. Last year kicker Shayne Graham and safety Roy Williams were among the players that visited the park.

Ray Osburn – I can think of three past rides that have a small visible piece of them left behind. I look at it as a neat historical aspect of the park. I have seen concrete footings still in tact from The Bat, King Cobra, and the old Sky Ride. So my question is: are there any other past rides/attractions that still have a presence in the park that can be seen with a careful eye?

Ray, there are a few more traces of past rides than the ones you have mentioned. I don't want to give it away where they all are but for starters you can find three of them in Coney Mall. Let us know if you found any of them after your next visit.

Derrike Marksberry – so not really anything to do with Kings Island, but i was wondering if you got to catch snl with betty white hosting, if you did, did you enjoy it? what was your favorite skit? mine was the opening skit.

I normally don't watch SNL as it comes on the same time as SportsCenter on ESPN, but I did happen to see the show with Betty White hosting. It's hard to believe she's only 88. She seems older than that. I remember when she was on Match Game and played the role of Sue Ann Nivens on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I did enjoy the show and also thought the first skit was the best. She'd be fun to ride Diamondback with.

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=155893938367

Tumble Bug/Skylab (Original Operator's booth and queue is still in tact)

Bat (Footings, station cut outs)

Flight Commander (Queue/loading pad)

Cuddle Up/Old Dodgems (Building)

and, I believe, the Flying Carpet (Footings behind Zephyr... but may be gone by now...)

Where are most of those? I only know of Flight Commander and The Bat.

skylab was where the basketball game beside The Racer was. So the operating booth is probably behind that game

Your best bet is to take a look at this picture.

Look underneath the Eiffel Tower. You'll see The Racer entrance/exit and the basketball toss game. There's a "sealed" curved building in-between the two. That's the old queue for Skylab. When the ride was removed, the queue was boarded up and has since been used for plush storage. I bet many of you have walked by it when exiting The Racer and never knew it's original intent ;-) The operator's booth may have been removed for the ladder climb/virtual attraction, but none-the-less it was in that same area for years and years.

Also, take note of the Grand Carousel Building. Just below that you'll see the building that once housed the Cuddle Up and Dodgems. The round building where the Dodgems are currently located is it's second home. That was the original location of the Flying Eagles. When Coney Mall was expanded in the mid-1980s, the Eagles were re-located to their final location.

Flyover102102.jpg

Ben Kendrick – how busy have the past few fridays been with math and science days? I plan on attending this friday but not if it is too crowded.

Ben, the first two Math & Science Friday’s have been great days to visit the park. The wait for rides like Diamondback and The Beast has been minimal, less than 10 minutes at times on both rides during those days.

Mike Dahlmer – Before Cedar Fair took over, what in your opinion were the 5 best shows in the history of Kings Island?

The park has had a lot of great shows over the years including the new Way Too Much TV show this year. I’ve seen every stage show in the park’s history but only saw each show once or twice a year in the 70’s so I won’t include them in my top five list. Fact is, I only watched the shows back then because my mother made me and I couldn’t wait for them to end so I could get back out in the park and ride. But in the 80’s I began to watch the shows and realized the park was more than just rides. So, here’s my list of the top five shows in the park’s history pre-Cedar Fair: Celebration (1982, 1983), Gotta Dance (1984, 1985), In Concert ’84 (1984), Deep in the Heart of Country (1986), and It’s Magic (1990).

Austin Benton – Hows the Snoopy's starlight spectacular coming..any test runs yet?

We’re making great progress with the installation of our new light show, Austin. We’ve turned some of the lights on at night but have not done a full-fledged dry run yet. Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular is something you’re going to want to see and experience. Mark your calendar! May 29 is when it debuts.

Brett Fehr – To follow up to the SNL question you answered yesterday, If you were to ride 1 ride, with 1 person in history, dead or alive, which person would it be and what ride?

That’s a great question. I’m going to go with The Racer and the individual that designed the ride, the late John Allen from the Philadelphia Toboggan Company.

Travis Nuss – on 19 news they said their is a new miltary deal can you give some info about it?

Travis, Kings Island’s Tribute to the Armed Forces program will offer a free regular admission ticket to any active or retired military personnel on the Sunday and Monday of both Memorial Day and July 4th weekends. Along with free admission, active and retired members of the military will be able to purchase discount admission tickets for members of their immediate family (maximum of six) at a special military discount price of $29.99. A valid military ID must be presented at the Kings Island ticket window May 30, May 31, July 4 and July 5 to receive this offer.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/note.php?note_id=392302721948

Below are the questions selected for Thursday’s 5@5 mailbag:

Griffin Hodges – The I-Street webcam has just begun working for me and the view is sweet! But I did notice that it appears the flagpoles have been moved to behind the Kings Island sign. Have they always been there or was that done recently?

Griffin, the flagpoles were moved to that spot this week. They had been located on the right-hand side of International Street by the Girls Space store. I like the new location of the flagpoles. I think it makes the park look grander.

Michael Eshom – What are the basements of the International Showplace and Action Theater used for besides storm shelters?

The lower level of the International Showplace is where the Green Room is located for the cast of our new show, Signed, Sealed, Delivered! Action Theater is used for storage.

Vince Scott – Will the rides that are open tomorrow be similiar (or the same) as those that were open last Friday for Math & Science Day?

We’re open to the public tomorrow from 10am to 10pm. We anticipate all the rides will be open including the rides in Planet Snoopy. The only attractions not slated to be open are Snoopy’s Spash Dance and two of our live shows, Way Too Much TV and Charlie Brown’s Hoedown.

Zach Clapper – How often is the water cleaned out in the water park?

Zach, the water in the attractions throughout Boomerang Bay is cleaned daily. Our water park opens for the 2010 season next weekend, May 22.

Mike Dahlmer – I was debating with several friends as to what seat is best on The Vortex. I say the back, but several people said the front. Some people even had arbitrary seats like car 3, 2nd row. You've probably ridden it a lot, what's the best seat?

I like questions like this, Mike. Since the day the ride opened in 1987, my favorite seat on The Vortex has always been the fifth car, first row, and the seat on the right. I find the amount of airtime in that seat to be better than anywhere else on the train. I also enjoy the front seat on The Vortex. I like the view from that seat going down the first drop and through the inversions but it doesn’t provide an abundance of airtime like that first seat in the fifth car does, and that's what separates those two seats for me.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=393074486948

Anyone know what he means by Green Room?

Mike Dahlmer – I was debating with several friends as to what seat is best on The Vortex. I say the back, but several people said the front. Some people even had arbitrary seats like car 3, 2nd row. You've probably ridden it a lot, what's the best seat?

I like questions like this, Mike. Since the day the ride opened in 1987, my favorite seat on The Vortex has always been the fifth car, first row, and the seat on the right. I find the amount of airtime in that seat to be better than anywhere else on the train. I also enjoy the front seat on The Vortex. I like the view from that seat going down the first drop and through the inversions but it doesn't provide an abundance of airtime like that first seat in the fifth car does, and that's what separates those two seats for me.

That's funny. All this time, I thought the only thing that separated those two seats were 7 other rows of seats...laugh.gif

Thank you, thank you. I'm XGatorHead and I'm here all week!

Wow, I've been on a roll lately. First, locomotive photographers and now this...

</h2>

<h2>Below are the questions selected for Friday's 5@5 mailbag:

Ryan Suhr – If all of the Kings Island employees were contestants on Survivor, who would win?

I’d have to go with one of our foods managers, Mike Loy. He’d be able to quickly establish the alliances that are necessary to get far in the game and would fare well in most of the challenges.

Nicholas Himes – What is your favorite attraction in Boomerang Bay?

Tazmanian Typhoon is my favorite attraction in Boomerang Bay, Nicholas. I have an absolute blast on that attraction. It’s also something my family and I can enjoy together.

Griffin Hodges – I noticed one of the sections of trees in Coney Mall, near Skyline Chili, was cut down. Was this for aesthetic purposes or in preparation for some sort of new building?

Griffin, I am looking into it and will let you know what the reason was.

Daniel Bruington – I've noticed that The Beast's tunnel lights are still on at night...did you find out if there was a reason for this when you asked? Will they be turned off in the near future?

Daniel, the tunnel lights are on a timer and it needed to be re set. The lights, as of tonight, are now off in the tunnel.

Tyler Nusky – What are some names that could have been the names of roller coasters at Kings Island

The park originally planned to build a replica of the Shooting Star back in the late 70’s – and name it that – but chose instead to go a different direction. It was a direction that changed the world forever! Well, at least the roller coaster world with The Beast. We discussed a few weeks ago what the name for Flight Deck was going to be. Outside of that ride, the names you see (or originally saw) were the names planned for the ride.

Ryan Suhr – If all of the Kings Island employees were contestants on Survivor, who would win?

I'd have to go with one of our foods managers, Mike Loy. He'd be able to quickly establish the alliances that are necessary to get far in the game and would fare well in most of the challenges.

Boo, Park Services all the way. They know how to get down and dirty and work as a team. [/shameless promotion :P]

I'd have to go with one of our foods managers, Mike Loy. He'd be able to quickly establish the alliances that are necessary to get far in the game and would fare well in most of the challenges.

Boo, Park Services all the way. They know how to get down and dirty and work as a team. [/shameless promotion :P]

No way! Mike Loy is a great American.

12141_176941287083_670997083_2966915_3902758_n.jpg

I knew it! Terpy has been the one answering these questions all along! ;)

Nope, Terpy would swoop in with correct proposed but not used names for things like Top Gun...and some very bad cornball names for things at other places....until Mr. K would invariably toss him into the heap of former CF marketing peeps...

Since we're getting very close to the opening of Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular and since we have new news to share on that front, I decided tonight to answer the five light show questions asked by Luke:

Luke Sharrock About the starlight thing. I'm going with a school program on May 28th (which is on the first full week you operate everyday) will it be open then? When does the show start at night before or after fireworks? Will it be lights of peanuts characters? And last (sorry for all the questions) is it going to run even during Halloween Haunt when all the lights are off?

(1). The park opens daily Friday, May 21. The official opening night for Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular will be Saturday, May 29. It will continue each and every night through Labor Day.

(2). NEW NEWS -- If you’d like to get a sneak peek at the progress though, I’d suggest visiting the park anytime between now and then. We’ve decided to turn on elements each night so guests can see the progress and get a better idea of the scale of this new show. It won’t be the full experience with all the tricks but should be cool to see anyway. So you may actually get to see some – but not all – of the display on your May 28 school visit.

(3). The show will begin after dark and be available continuously until park close. The area surrounding the back side of the Eiffel Tower will be filled with light, color, sound, and various displays – some are even interactive. Throughout the evening (one of three) different choreographed features on the Eiffel Tower will steal the show. The last of these shows will take you into the end of the night Fireworks. Don’t Stop The Music on the I-Street Bandstand will be incorporated into the nightly schedule.

(4). You will see plenty of lighted PEANUTS in this display and from what we’ve seen it should be pretty cool.

(5). As for Haunt, we’re not there yet. My guess it that this will be so popular with our guests that it will make a lot of sense to incorporate an element like this into the Haunt event. No promises though.

I say they cheated!:P

Below are the questions selected for Monday’s 5@5 mailbag:

Travis Nuss – can Kings Island have the first 500ft tall roller coaster?

Travis, because we have an airport nearby, there is a limit on how tall we would be able to build a ride. Diamondback at Kings Island and Prowler at World’s of Fun show a roller coaster doesn’t have to be the tallest to be among the best.

Luke Sharrock – What do you do during offseason whan your in the office all day? What about on an operating day?

We spend the offseason planning and preparing for the next season. One of the projects we worked on this winter was our new website. On an operating day, it really depends on what might be going on that day or what might be coming up with special events and promotions. Every day is different.

Derrike Marksberry – How many rides/ attractions have been built by Intiman? All i can think of is the Eiffel Tower.

Besides the Eiffel Tower, there’s Drop Tower, Congo Falls, White Water Canyon and the Viking Fury.

Scott Littleton – Are there any plans to add some of the water effects to BLSC or The Crypt? I love the new crypt program compared to the old, just would love for more theming to be added to the ride.

Scott, there are no plans to add water effects to either of those attractions. The new Crypt program has made the ride much more reliable. Ridership increased significantly on the ride last year.

Brian Krosnick – Has Kings Island ever looked at a Holiday-World-esque approach to admission: soft drinks & parking included?

We have not, Brian. We include free season-long parking as a perk for our Gold and Platinum season passholders.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=393834206948

Hmmm. So this is Monday's?

And that "free" season long parking for gold and platinum passholders is just as "free" as the Pepsi at Holiday World.

I just wish they included free "hassle free" admission to other Cedar Fair parks with the purchase of a Platinum Pass...guaranteed...with a $10 refund each time admission was mistakenly delayed. I bet it would be amazing how quickly these problems with Platinum Pass admission at other parks would be fixed...

As it is, Platinum treatment? No.

I think it's quite clear that the answerer was pretty tired when he answered these questions... There are a lot of droning repeats of answers where, on any other day, I'm confident that much more attention would've been given. :) But it's all good!