Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

Below are the questions selected and the answers for Monday's 5@5 mailbag:

Austin Benton – i noticed on the international cam..there is what appears to be a huge pile of dirt...what is it for and on Diamondback cam i noticed some new black things by the station...are they for the light show thing?

Austin, the pile of dirt you noticed on the International Street webcam is for the brick pavers that we’ve been replacing the black asphalt with. If we’re both looking at the same thing through the Diamondback webcam, those will be used as part of the new nighttime light show, Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular, which begins May 29.

------------------------------

Bruce E. Knolle Jr. – On Sunday I noticed one of the full time Managers, his gold name tag said Don, in the Coney Mall with a guy filming the bumper cars with a large TV like camera. Then they went toward the Monster and interviewed a couple other guests. What was they were doing and what will this footage be used for?

A station in Indianapolis was at the park for a story on a high school violinist with a unique connection to Kings Island. The subject of the story no only took up the violin he became a serious musician and is now one of the premiere young violinists in Indiana. His music talent helped earn him a full ride scholarship to Indiana University. His story began several years ago when he joined the orchestra after the music teacher promised they could visit Kings Island.

Travis Nuss – what is your favorite old roller coaster? ex. The Bat, king cobra etc.

The Bavarian Beetle. My brother, sister and I had some great times riding that coaster in the 1970s.

Faith Gendron – We are coming to the park this summer and I want to ride the Diamondback I was wondering where is the best to ride in the back or front?

The trains on Diamondback feature open-air, stadium-style seating which offer riders an unobstructed view of the ride as you snake your way around 5,282 feet of track at speeds up to 80 miles per hour! I prefer to sit in the second or second to last seats on Diamondback, on the right hand side. There’s an abundance of airtime from every seat on the train.

David McPeak – If you could add any coaster to the park, from what manufacturer would you choose? I think we need another Werner Stengel coaster from Intamin, a Mega-Lite like Maverick in the Octoberfest section of the park :)

Based on the popularity of Diamondback and my own ride experiences on roller coasters, I’d go with B&M. Every B&M coaster I’ve ridden has been thrilling and enjoyable.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below are the questions selected forTuesday’s 5@5 mailbag:

Chris Owens -- You may want to let everyone know that TV Land is showing the Brady Bunch's King's Island episode at noon, May 20. Do you happen to have any interesting stories about that visit?

Thanks for letting us know, Chris. The Kings Island visit and when Greg bought a car that turned out to be a lemon are my two favorite Brady Bunch episodes. One of the interesting stories from their visit to the park in 1973 was when they were filming on The Racer. Robert Reed, who played Mike Brady on the show, told the film crew he wasn’t letting anyone ride because the camera that had been mounted on the ride didn’t look secure. He demanded the train be sent around for a test run. When the train came back the camera was gone. Susan Olsen refused to ride The Racer but finally did … 35 years later in 2008.

Stan Byme – Kinda along the Brady Bunch line...has the park ever (seriously) thought about trying to get a re-union of the Partridge Family at the park?

The Partridge Family was on the list of ideas a couple years ago but only Suzanne Crough and Brian Forster were available. Who you ask? That’s why we didn’t do it.

David McPeak – Hey, just wanted to say congrats on ANOTHER shout out on Glee...do you know if the writers/director of the show goes to Kings Island?

Always nice when the best show on television gives you a shout out! The actor that mentioned Kings Island, Neal Patrick Harris, is a roller coaster enthusiast. I am going to look into if the writers/director have been to the park.

Aaron Richmann – So are you shocked that "Glee" now has mentioned Kings Island twice on the show? I can see it now...... a "Glee" episode filmed at the park :)

I wasn't shocked that Kings Island was mentioned again. Kings Island and the Reds are two things that can be mentioned in episodes to paint the picture for viewers of where the show takes place.

Zach Branstetter – What is your favorite Boomerang Bay Ride?

Tazmanian Typhoon. It’s a ride that my family and I can enjoy together. I also like Paradise Pipeline.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=394703256948

Stan Byme – Kinda along the Brady Bunch line...has the park ever (seriously) thought about trying to get a re-union of the Partridge Family at the park?

The Partridge Family was on the list of ideas a couple years ago but only Suzanne Crough and Brian Forster were available. Who you ask? That's why we didn't do it.

Good call! tongue.gif

I already assumed Shirley Jones & Susan Dey wouldn't even consider coming...but I am shocked that Danny Bonaduce wasn't on the list of who was "available"...I thought he was available for anything! I'm also surprised that David Cassidy was not willing...since he still tours I figured he would just play the Timberwolf and make a side appearance at the park.

Thanks for the answer! smile.gif

One thing that annoys me about all shows (including Glee).....every show makes fun of Ohio. I don't know why. We have almost 12 million people in Ohio! I mean, I think it has to do with the "rural" of it. Then how 'bout trying a place like South Dakota? Or Oklahoma? Or even Kansas?

In the agrarian state in which I was reared, we had a saying:

Thank God for Mississippi....no matter what statistic you looked at, no matter how poorly our state performed...Mississippi seemed to do worse. Years later, people from my native state started saying "Thank God for Arkansas!"

It's always somewhere...

I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side. How do people treat Texas? I have been in Texas one time (flew into Houston and took a cruise that departed from there). I`ve also driven through the Texas panhandle on my way out to Phoenix, AZ back in 1998 for my cousins wedding. Hard to believe that 1998 was 12 years ago. My how time flies.

Below are the questions selected for Wednesday’s 5@5 mailbag:

Zach Clapper – What year did the water park open?

Boomerang Bay opened in 1989 under the name Water Works. The name was changed to Crocodile Dundee’s Boomerang Bay in 2004, and changed again to Boomerang Bay in 2007.

Matt Crickmer – how many lifeguards does it takes to operate any given day, and how exstensive is the training?

The training our lifeguards go through is very extensive. Boomerang Bay lifeguards must complete the Ellis and Associate International Lifeguard Training Program; they maintain their skills by attending monthly in-service training throughout the season. Boomerang Bay lifeguards participate in both daily audits with the Kings Island supervisors and monthly audits conducted by Ellis and Associate's national staff. In addition to evaluations of scanning and life-saving skills, we administer Vigilance Awareness Training (VAT) tests during operation. VAT tests involve the placement and indentification of a life-like mannequin in a lifeguard's zone during operating hours. I don’t have an exact number of lifeguards we have every day but what I can tell you is we staff the water park with the same number every operating day.

Michael Eshom – How many of the slides from the original Water Works remain in Boomerang Bay?

Original slides and attractions in Boomerang Bay from when the water park opened in 1989 are Awesome Aussie Twister, Bondi Pipeline, Crocodile Run and Down Under Thunder.

Ray Osburn – Sorry... Not a Boomerang Bay Question but, I see that Gold Pass goes away on the 31st. We were looking at getting a pass for my mother, Does it have to be processed before the 31st to get gold or just purchased before the 31st? Just not sure she will make it down before then.

Ray, the opportunity to buy a Gold pass for the 2010 season ends May 31 but the pass doesn’t have to be processed by that date. The pass can be processed at any time during the season. But hurry! You’re down to just 12 more days to buy your mother a Gold pass.

Ryan Suhr – The Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL are on the fast track to winning the Kelly Cup. If they win it, do you think they could have a parade at the park to celebrate?

Ryan, if the Cyclones were to win the Kelly Cup for the second time in three years we’d certainly invite them to show off the Cup at the park. If they were interested I’m sure we could get a photo of the entire team wearing their Cyclones jerseys on Diamondback in The Hockey News.

I love how my question

"Why are Cedar Fair platinum passes not scanning at their sister parks? My 2010 Kings Island platinum pass did not scan at Kings Dominion this year, nor did it scan at Carowinds, nor did it scan at Cedar Point. Each time, a red X showed up on the screen and I had to go to Guest Relations. When will this be resolved?"

was avoided.

Of course.

Hey, at least they did not accuse you of being a liar and a thief...

Terpy, who was all but called that (and who was denied entry for more than 20 minutes, and who finally left in frustration) at Carowinds the second Sunday of the season there...)

I am beginning to wonder if Cedar Fair sees platinum pass holders in much the same way that many credit card companies see platinum cardholders...major profit centers but not entitled to the best service the company can offer...

I love how my question

"Why are Cedar Fair platinum passes not scanning at their sister parks? My 2010 Kings Island platinum pass did not scan at Kings Dominion this year, nor did it scan at Carowinds, nor did it scan at Cedar Point. Each time, a red X showed up on the screen and I had to go to Guest Relations. When will this be resolved?"

was avoided.

Of course.

And, of course, questions that could be answered by a simple google search were answered... Don't worry, my question about the tacky peeling wallpaper in the BBoBH queue has been ignored too.

I love how my question

was avoided.

Of course.

And, of course, questions that could be answered by a simple google search were answered... Don't worry, my question about the tacky peeling wallpaper in the BBoBH queue has been ignored too.

At least its better than the guy who asks "The Beast should be turned backwards, We want a 500ft tall coaster, Why dont they change the rides back to movies, abd brick coasters...."

I love how my question

was avoided.

Of course.

Did it work to get free parking at Cedar Point? Also how long did it take guest relations to fix the problem? I'm going this weekend to Cedar Point and do not want to get my blood pressure up. Are they at least apologetic?

Below are the questions selected for Thursday’s 5@5 mailbag:

Gavin Bernard – How many gallons of blue ice cream do you go through a day?

It varies, Garvin. We’ll go through a lot more gallons of blue ice cream on days it’s 80 degrees or above than we will on days when it might be in the 60’s. There are days when we’ll through more than 100.

Gavin Bernard – Can you look into getting timberliner trains from TGG? I think it would make Beast even more fun.

The Beast has been a great ride since 1979. It is arguably the greatest wooden roller coaster ever built. The ride uses the same trains it has since it opened in 1979. There is no need to change the trains on The Beast. It has been and continues to be a great ride.

Griffin Hodges – Any news on that giant planter in Coney Mall near Skyline that had the trees in it removed over the winter?

Not yet.

Derrike Marksberry – How difficult/how long did it take to remove The Wild Thornberry's convey and other props from Race for Your Life Charlie Brown during the changeover from Nick U. to Planet Snoopy?

It wasn’t too difficult, Derrike. It took less than a month to make the change to Race for Your Life Charlie Brown. I haven’t ridden it yet this year but several guests have told me the splash at the bottom of the drop gets you wetter than it ever has before, especially for those riding up front. The photos we’ve taken of the ride this year seems to confirm that.

Christine Salleng Ummkhaleel – I have been hearing that there are problems with Kings Island platinum passes at other Cedar Fair Parks. Such as they wont scan and you have to go to guest relations to get in. I have a Kings Island platinum pass and plan on visiting Carowinds and Cedar Point this summer, but I would like to know if there is really a problem with these passes so I know what to expect when I go to these parks. Thank You! Get back to me when you can!

Christine, I’ve seen some reports of this happening but at the same time I’ve spoken to quite a few Platinum pass holders that have visited other parks this spring and have not had any problems whatsoever with their passes scanning. Should you experience any issues with your pass not scanning at other parks, please let us know by calling our Sales & Service Center at (513) 754-5700. We’ll contact the park where you had an issue and do everything we can to find out what the problem may have been. Enjoy your visits to Carowinds and Cedar Point this summer!

link

i never would have guessed when i asked that question that it took a month to remove all the themeing from wild thornberry's and replaced it with theming for race for your life charlie brown.

i never would have guessed when i asked that question that it took a month to remove all the themeing from wild thornberry's and replaced it with theming for race for your life charlie brown.

Replaced? Use that word lightly. ;) Hahah. I mean, I love the ride, but really that ride in particular ended up being more removal than addition...

As someone who just got back from Cedar Point about an hour ago, and had no issues with his Platinum Pass, but does have a story to share regarding someone who did. I think those that find it necessary to complain in an extremely catty manner about his or her pass not scanning take one giant step back, take a breath and realize you still got in and got what you paid for. Furthermore, if you are one of those people who continue to harp on season passes not scanning as though its you're personal crusade, (it seems to be appearing more and more - sort of like last summer and the line jumpers) let this thought sit in your mind... What if Cedar Fair decided season passes were not a product that fit their business model any longer? I can't help but think, no offense, some people repeatedly bite the hand that feeds them. Remember, CF isn't obligated to offer the passes and should they get irritated enough, they could simply do away with it.

You may not think it's a possibility, but it's not as far out of the realm of possibility that some may think.

I won't be writing a trip report, but more like making a few comments about things i noticed the past few days from what i hope to be, an unbiased viewpoint.

I think we all would agree, you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Kindness goes a million miles...

Griffin Hodges – Any news on that giant planter in Coney Mall near Skyline that had the trees in it removed over the winter?

Not yet.

I'm a little confused on this one... What "giant planter"? My mind instantly jumped to the old Lazer Tag building spot, but that's nowhere near Skyline, is it?