Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how my question

"Why are Cedar Fair platinum passes not scanning at their sister parks? My 2010 Kings Island platinum pass did not scan at Kings Dominion this year, nor did it scan at Carowinds, nor did it scan at Cedar Point. Each time, a red X showed up on the screen and I had to go to Guest Relations. When will this be resolved?"

was avoided.

Of course.

And, of course, questions that could be answered by a simple google search were answered... Don't worry, my question about the tacky peeling wallpaper in the BBoBH queue has been ignored too.

Or my questions about the status of the carousel organ and if we could see an "estimated wait time" sign at Vortex...

As someone who just got back from Cedar Point about an hour ago, and had no issues with his Platinum Pass, but does have a story to share regarding someone who did. I think those that find it necessary to complain in an extremely catty manner about his or her pass not scanning take one giant step back, take a breath and realize you still got in and got what you paid for. Furthermore, if you are one of those people who continue to harp on season passes not scanning as though its you're personal crusade, (it seems to be appearing more and more - sort of like last summer and the line jumpers) let this thought sit in your mind... What if Cedar Fair decided season passes were not a product that fit their business model any longer? I can't help but think, no offense, some people repeatedly bite the hand that feeds them. Remember, CF isn't obligated to offer the passes and should they get irritated enough, they could simply do away with it.

You may not think it's a possibility, but it's not as far out of the realm of possibility that some may think.

I won't be writing a trip report, but more like making a few comments about things i noticed the past few days from what i hope to be, an unbiased viewpoint.

I think we all would agree, you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Kindness goes a million miles...

We are the guest that are spending our hard earned money to buy their passes. In exchange for our money we get to go to their parks. When they take our money and then tell us that we can't get in we certainly have a right to be upset. When the further this by insulting us and calling us liars this tends to get even the most mild mannered of us into a tizzy. I don't think it is too much to ask for that they deliver the service that they have accepted payment for.

You mention CF getting irritated, give me a break. Lately they couldn't give a rats butt about what the consumer thinks about them and the way they run their parks. While you are correct that getting indignant with the person that is just trying to do their job will not get you far, those that can get things fixed are not doing their jobs.

Gotta love spell checker

Two weeks ago I was at KI and it was packed so I just rode the smaller things without lines. I rode the log flume 12 times, and barley got wet at all. Last year you actually got more wet because of the elephant that actually sprayed you and the coconuts.

...While you are correct that getting indigent with the person that is just trying to do their job will not get you far, those that can get things fixed are not doing their jobs.

(emphasis added)

First, I completely and totally agree with ALL of your post.

Second, I love malaprops. Especially when they are as appropriate as this one.

indigent: poor....nearly penniless.

I do not want to think that is the reason Cedar Fair is being so stingy and nearly nasty with customer service, but people who wonder where there next paycheck is coming from, from whom, and perhaps even if it will clear the bank have a tendency to find it difficult to remain focused. The thought has occurred to me before that this difficulty with gaining admissions may indeed be caused by a conscious strategy to nickel and dime customers while delivering a less than excellent customer experience. These are platinum pass customers...and telling me, as a recent 5@5 did, to contact the park where I purchased the pass is NOT the answer. The answer is fixing the darn problem. They are more than aware of the difficulties.

Want an example? I wrote Mr. Bart Kinzel, the superbly qualified Carowinds General Manager about my problem. No answer.

I wrote Mr. Dick Kinzel at Cedar Fair. No answer.

I wrote the GM at Kings Island (perhaps he would want me to list his name). No answer.

This is not a coincidence. If customers mattered, they'd get answers.

Sigh.

Furthermore, if you are one of those people who continue to harp on season passes not scanning as though its you're personal crusade, (it seems to be appearing more and more - sort of like last summer and the line jumpers)

I like to think of the Season Passes not scanning discussion as this years new reality show...it's just too bad we didn't get any kind of series wrap-up for the line jumper series! tongue.gif (Speaking of that...I am SO grateful that "Lost" is getting it's proper send off...unlike shows like "Deadwood".)

...and telling me, as a recent 5@5 did, to contact the park where I purchased the pass is NOT the answer.

Want an example? I wrote Mr. Bart Kinzel, the superbly qualified Carowinds General Manager about my problem. No answer.

I wrote Mr. Dick Kinzel at Cedar Fair. No answer.

I wrote the GM at Kings Island. No answer.

Interpreter...I re-read the 5@5 answer...and nowhere do they say that they will send a reply. laugh.gif

Sorry to stary off topic but, Lost's final episode leaves the ending "open to interpretation," and they're airing 3 multiple endings on Kimmel. Not the end all answers I was hoping for out of such a mind teaser of a show.

*the following is a rant, proceed to 3rd paragraph if you just want my point*

The season pass problems are a lot like a problem I just had w/ 5/3 bank (and am now closing the account). I made a cash payment and the banker mistakingly applied it as principal only... it took at least 6 phone class over 3 days to get that answer. I was called by the collections department (5 days after the payment), on a Sun, asking me to pay off the balance or I would be sent to collections. I asked them why my account was in the negative and they did not have access to that information. Talked to a surpervisor, no help. Told me to call customer service. Took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get a customer service rep. Then, after all the autopmated crap, a message told me they were closed. My wife finds a letter in the mail on Mon and calls the number. Same problems I had. Gets to the supervisor who asks her 5 times how much she paid and if it was in cash or check. They incompetent. Finally she asks to talk to someone who can actually help her and the l;ady gives her the number that my wife called and ended up with this lady. Finnaly my wife goes into the bank and they figure out the teller's mistake. I have had 1 late payment in 3 years and missed none. They insulted myself and our business relationship and I am done with their services.

Platinum passes are no different. When a business has a problem with their opperations they should go above and beyond to compensate or at least ease the frustrations of their customers. They should go out of their way to make correcting the problem simple for the customer and should be very appologetic. CF is failing horribly at that.

I will say, my friend accidently printed his voucher on the back side of the voucher he printed for me (we purcahsed the tickets in a group). We entered the parkl with our vouchers and the attendant scanned mine first which was actually his (basically my mistake). So his would not scan. We couldn;t figure out what went wrong but they let him in any way. When we went to process our passes, his would not scan. They fixed the problem within a minute and had no difficulty. Why is CF so hit or miss with their passes?

and you expected a response from the person with the highest responsibility in the park? In reality, your letter is opened by an assistant, and is forwarded to the marketing department, where an intern or coordinator level associate reads it, and makes a decision wether it warrants a response, or if the comment can be addressed without response. I can 100% guarantee you that is the process - no questions asked, believe me. My question would be - why would you send a letter to the GM, knowing they would never get the letter, and not send it to the I.S. / Tech department where you might actually get a response and get your problem solved immediately

Could someone please tell me the difference between a season pass holder, a platinum pass holder and a general admission ticket holder? I read, frequently, that people with Platinum Passes feel as though because they spent more money than others that they deserve the moon. I'll be honest, I think its a snotty, childlike behavior and unbecoming of someone who considers themselves an avid fan of amusement parks. You can disagree with me all you want, but if you took a step back and asked regular pass holders or ticket holders what they thought of your issue, I think a majority would say your getting bent out of shape over nothing. And I'll say it again, you did ultimately get what you paid for, park admission.

Dislike me for saying this, but I almost wish CF would do away with season passes so the people who do gripe and feel like they are shareholders and not just a passholder (this is meant as a generalization) would be more grateful the opportunity. Ask yourself - If Season Passes were not offered in 2011 - how many times would you go to the CF parks? Would it make you appreciate your visit more?

Should the pass scan? Of course it should, and I would expect it to. I've had my pass not scan before and I've done the whole 'rig-a-ma-roll' in Guest Relations... And maybe its just me and my personality, but i just don't get bent out of shape over it. My whole point is, i think sometimes I think the PP holders forget the pass grants them admission and parking at CF parks. No special treatment, no special benefits... nothing - but do they? Of course, because they recognize you are a patron of multiple chain parks and value your patronage... and if the pass doesnt scan - whoops, technical glitch. I may be on a limb, but thats okay we're all entitled to our opinion and honestly I dont think I'd be able to change anyones view - so we'll just agree to disagree on our approaches.

As someone who just got back from Cedar Point about an hour ago, and had no issues with his Platinum Pass, but does have a story to share regarding someone who did. I think those that find it necessary to complain in an extremely catty manner about his or her pass not scanning take one giant step back, take a breath and realize you still got in and got what you paid for. Furthermore, if you are one of those people who continue to harp on season passes not scanning as though its you're personal crusade, (it seems to be appearing more and more - sort of like last summer and the line jumpers) let this thought sit in your mind... What if Cedar Fair decided season passes were not a product that fit their business model any longer? I can't help but think, no offense, some people repeatedly bite the hand that feeds them. Remember, CF isn't obligated to offer the passes and should they get irritated enough, they could simply do away with it.

You may not think it's a possibility, but it's not as far out of the realm of possibility that some may think.

I won't be writing a trip report, but more like making a few comments about things i noticed the past few days from what i hope to be, an unbiased viewpoint.

I think we all would agree, you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Kindness goes a million miles...

I too went to Cedar Point and none of my friends or I had any issues with our Platinum Passes. It seems like the issues have been hit or miss. If there are issues with my PP not scanning, I would think it's a little inconvenient, but things do happen unfortunately, and life's too short to get mad and stay mad about things likes this. Just my opinion.

and you expected a response from the person with the highest responsibility in the park? In reality, your letter is opened by an assistant, and is forwarded to the marketing department, where an intern or coordinator level associate reads it, and makes a decision wether it warrants a response, or if the comment can be addressed without response. I can 100% guarantee you that is the process - no questions asked, believe me. My question would be - why would you send a letter to the GM, knowing they would never get the letter, and not send it to the I.S. / Tech department where you might actually get a response and get your problem solved immediately

Could someone please tell me the difference between a season pass holder, a platinum pass holder and a general admission ticket holder? I read, frequently, that people with Platinum Passes feel as though because they spent more money than others that they deserve the moon. I'll be honest, I think its a snotty, childlike behavior and unbecoming of someone who considers themselves an avid fan of amusement parks. You can disagree with me all you want, but if you took a step back and asked regular pass holders or ticket holders what they thought of your issue, I think a majority would say your getting bent out of shape over nothing. And I'll say it again, you did ultimately get what you paid for, park admission.

Dislike me for saying this, but I almost wish CF would do away with season passes so the people who do gripe and feel like they are shareholders and not just a passholder (this is meant as a generalization) would be more grateful the opportunity. Ask yourself - If Season Passes were not offered in 2011 - how many times would you go to the CF parks? Would it make you appreciate your visit more?

Should the pass scan? Of course it should, and I would expect it to. I've had my pass not scan before and I've done the whole 'rig-a-ma-roll' in Guest Relations... And maybe its just me and my personality, but i just don't get bent out of shape over it. My whole point is, i think sometimes I think the PP holders forget the pass grants them admission and parking at CF parks. No special treatment, no special benefits... nothing - but do they? Of course, because they recognize you are a patron of multiple chain parks and value your patronage... and if the pass doesnt scan - whoops, technical glitch. I may be on a limb, but thats okay we're all entitled to our opinion and honestly I dont think I'd be able to change anyones view - so we'll just agree to disagree on our approaches.

I understand technical glitches, they happen. However, if they are not polite about it and apologetic about it that is bad business and poor customer service. CF is not going to get rid of the season pass, its their money maker and is great for cash flow. And yes Platinum pass holders and season pass holders should be considered their most important customers. The Reds do with their season ticket holders. Here's the deal if the pass does not scan and I'm treated with respect with an apology then no big deal. However if I'm denied entry, treated rudely, etc..then there is a problem. And with it being a widespread problem it is bordering on a legal issue as CF would be borderline on breach of contract. So yes the customer does have a right to be angry when the seller does not deliver promised goods.

I think it is a sad statement that you seem to not only accept but condone that a GM shouldn't bother to actually reply to a question/concern from a paying customer himself. (He is not a God...just the head of an amusement park chain.)

P.S. I am not a Platinum Pass holder.

well, let me find a box of tissues for you, because its the statement of truth.

Ask yourself this, if everyone who wrote "General Manager of Kings Island" answered each of these letters personally... How many letters do you think he would have to answer each day?

Its what marketing does... Trust me, the process I stated is how it happens - I know...

frisbeefan, I'd hate to be you when buying a car. If it won't start 5 days in a row, do you just say "things happen". Or do you get the darn thing fixed/replaced? huh.gif

This is all I'm going to say, and it's really not worth commenting on, but trying to compare a mode of transportation to a season pass to an amusement park doens't even make sense, especially when all it takes is a few minutes at Guest Relations to get an issue resolved.

Sorry for the reply, but I thought I should defend myself.

frisbeefan, I'd hate to be you when buying a car. If it won't start 5 days in a row, do you just say "things happen". Or do you get the darn thing fixed/replaced? huh.gif

This is all I'm going to say, and it's really not worth commenting on, but trying to compare a mode of transportation to a season pass to an amusement park doens't even make sense, especially when all it takes is a few minutes at Guest Relations to get an issue resolved.

Sorry for the reply, but I thought I should defend myself.

Something to keep in mind. You might not be upset when you are reading other people's frustrations, but it might be a totally different story when it is actually happening to you. I feel for the people that had the issue and am not really mad about it myself, although I am concerned and feel bad for my friends that had the bad experiences. Thinking about it though, if I had a PP (which I don't, just a gold pass) drove the 5 hrs to get to CP and had issues with my pass and miss ERT due to the issue. I would be very steamed especially if they were not sympathetic and at least pretend they wanted to fix the issue. I could not get that ERT back or the time wasted after I spent so much money on a pass and the driving/hotel expenses to experience that ERT. I hope that puts things in perspective?

Ask yourself this, if everyone who wrote "General Manager of Kings Island" answered each of these letters personally... How many letters do you think he would have to answer each day?

I think MOST people simply use the usual customer service phone number or e-mail address. I think it is the more dedicated/concerned ones who go to the effort of digging up the GM's e-mail address. (And only the MOST dedicated who dig up his home address! laugh.gif ) If he doesn't want to be "bothered" with e-mails why have an e-mail address that the public has access too? (Just my thoughts though.)

I STILL think it is not beneath a GM to take time out of his busy day to answer a few well written e-mails that are not the "Is Son of Beast ever gonna re-open" type.

Erosarrow, a general admission ticket is just that... it gets you in for a day. Season pass (gold) gives you limitless admission to KI, ERT, free parking and some other perks. Platinum passes give you access to all Cedar Fair parks and and all the gold pass perks at each.

I can't remember a time I disagreed with you but I don't think you get it on this one. The people that mised or got into ERT late did not get what they paid for. For customer service to be anything but helpful, sympathetic and apologetic is unnaceptable. We pay extra for a Platinum Pass to get admission to the park and the added perks. I don;t feel special or any better than anyone at the park but I do expect to get the perks promised (that I payed for) and to be treated with respect by management. The problems they have had with passes started with CF (per Terpy they were not a problem when it was a Paramount chain) and they ahve not done an acceptable job solving the problem.

It's the same as the example I gave for 5/3 Bank. They didn't get it that it's bad business to call a customer, in good standing, threatening to send them to collections whilke the person calling has no acces to the information as to why the account was behind. I will glady give my business to anyone who respects the terms we mutually agrteed on and does an adequate job of addressing problems when they occur. If you are familiar with the problems people have had with their passes you would know that CF has not done a decent job fixing the problem and people have a fair reason to be upset.

Remember, I was involved in a problem that got solved immediately and I was happy with the situation. I will always give credit or criticism where due.

Wow, it's long post day for David

My comments and comparison were not directed at a "single" time of having an issue using a platinum pass, but at the major issues they have had for over 3 years. Of course there will always be some problems here and there, but there has been confusion/major issues for several years now. Cedar Fair has simply failed to resolve the issue and it's embarrassing.

The problems they have had with passes started with CF (per Terpy they were not a problem when it was a Paramount chain)

As a member of KI's Admissions management for 9 years during Paramount's reign, I have only this to say: biggrin.gif .

Okay, I'll stop gloating now! laugh.gif

Of course, back then, when a KI passholder went to another Paramount Park, they had to go to Guest Relations at the other park and get a ticket to enter. When the company and I parted ways, being able to scan one park's pass at another park was just in it's infancy.

You mention CF getting irritated, give me a break. Lately they couldn't give a rats butt about what the consumer thinks about them and the way they run their parks. While you are correct that getting indignant with the person that is just trying to do their job will not get you far, those that can get things fixed are not doing their jobs.

Unless, of course, if you're an employee and you say that about the park that's really the only time the GM will personally deal with the issue...

74Gibson... and others for that matter... Im flattered you tend to agree with what I say, but it is totally alright to have a differing opinion and I respect you for voicing it. Believe me when i say, my panties are not in a twist at all... it makes for good conversation when someone can voice their opinion in an civil, adult like way. Customer service, as you say, is to provide a solution for a problem the guest is experiencing. The ability to rectify the situation is the key to success and generally boils down to who you speak with. Most would agree the GR staff at parks are for the most part friendly and understand the job description, but of course you always run the risk of catching someone on a bad day, or even misinterpreting a statement from a GR rep. Naturally we all want immediate action, but the reality is sometimes that can't just happen and most of us, myself included at times, have to wonder if that's really the case.

I think you may have misunderstood my point about the platinum passes only guaranteeing admission and parking. The ERT, discounts, preferred parking areas etc... are all perks that were announced at various times throughout the chain and are different at each park and could eventually be wiped out altogether. They are a benefit to show their appreciation, but not set in stone. Everything can change, for the worse or even for the better who knows. And I think you would agree Gibson, there are some people that do feel they deserve special treatment because they have platinum passes.

Strangly enough as a side note, my lady friend who I went to CP with the past few days rode Skyscraper a few times, taking advantage of the benefit skyscraper bogo @ 10 dollars... good price no? The two ride ops were extremely bored and gave us what i equated as a 'double ride... 10 rotations forward and 10 backward with some stomach churning rocking inbetween at the top. When we got off, he said "well you were all so friendly and besides we like to take care of our platinum pass holders. Did it have something to do with the fact no one was in challenge park? of course. But then he suggested if we wanted another 'good ride' to go buy another ticket and he would deliver. So as it was my friends turn she was happy to oblige and while i didn't bother counting the second trip it was longer than normal. We didnt mind helping out his low capacity for the hour. On the way out we stopped at Guest Relations and I left a positive comment about him and his co-worker, not mentioning he gave us the longer than normal ride, but commenting on his friendliness, efficiency and helpfulness helping me out of the seat as Im not quite as strong as I used to be... I dont leave bad GR comments, I figure the associate acts unprofessional to me, they do to other guests to and they can leave the comments. All to frequently are good gr's overlooked.

In any event, I think Cedar Fair is still working out some minor issues with the system, which I personally, have the patience to understand. If it were to cause me to miss the ERT (assuming its important to you) I think one would have a legitimate reason to be unhappy, especially if you're going on a Saturday in July... you know, those really slow days when the park is like a ghost town???

To me, its an advanced system that will work well for the chain once the minor glitches are all worked out which I cant think would take too much longer.

and as a side note Fifth/Third has quite possibly the worst customer service - next to Sprint - I have ever experienced. I reference both of these companies when speaking in customer service orientations... (without dropping names of course)

... and dont worry, Im sure you'll start agreeing with me again soon ;-)

Sorry this was so long -

Unless, of course, if you're an employee and you say that about the park that's really the only time the GM will personally deal with the issue...

I'll make this brief... unlike the last post...

Dave - I mean this in the least rude way possible but there is no way you can possibly believe that a company whose mission is to entertain millions and millions of people in all age categories across the the entire United States and Canada, operates there parks with a "its my way or the highway" attitude. It is inconceivable to me, and Im thinking you made that comment in the heat of 'a moment'

Methinks someone from Cedar Fair saw this thread...

And to combat what people said earlier, They actually Cared. wink.gif

I'm not being sarcastic, here. I really believe the program they use for their passes is really bad, and it has taken Cedar Fair this long to make the fix.

See Power School used by Cincinnati Public Schools... A horrible grading program that continuously gives out problems for students and teachers, and is almost never correct. (4 out of my 6 teachers complain openly, and often about Power School.) Why the State of Ohio did away with Parent Connect in the first place, I shall never know.

I'm suprised these have not been posted yet

Below are the questions selected for Friday’s 5@5 mailbag:

Austin Bention – what is standard procedure after a thunderstorm...like is there any particular number of test runs that must be done before it opens back up for guest...etc?

Every ride goes through a series of operational, mechanical and electrical tests before they re-open. It’s the same tests we do prior to the park opening each day.

------------------------------

Kirk Emond – Based on past attendance, how busy do you think the park will be on Friday, June 4.

The date you plan to visit should be a good one. There are still some schools in session through the end of that week. Be sure to check out the Rock Band Live show that day, and our new nighttime light show, Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular.

Bruce E. Knolle Jr. – I've heard stories that the park is haunted. Not "Halloween Haunt" Haunted, but "ghost" haunted. Like specifically the Train and the Eiffel Tower. Know any true to that rumor? Or have perhaps a story? Thanks.

The stories about the park being haunted have been out there since 1972. I’ve been at the park all hours of the night and have never seen any ghosts. Others claim they have. But nobody has been able to produce any concrete evidence.

Brian Krosnick – Will you be watching the LOST series finale? Perhaps Kings Islands next big game-changing move could be to purchase the rights from ABC, use the technology behind Universal's Spiderman / Busch Gardens' DarKastle and create the most epic LOST ride anyone could ever imagine! Think about it! ;] And you know you can call me in for creative consultation (for ANY ride for that matter... really... anyyyyy ride)!

Brian, I have never seen the show LOST. It always came on the same time as ESPN.

Michael Eshom – What is the status of the carousel organ? I've heard that the "guts" are stored in the Flight of Fear building and that it would cost around $3000 to fix it. Is there any truth to these rumors?

Michael, thank you for your interest in the Grand Carousel. It’s a classic; something I tried to ride every day when I visited the park as a guest. I don’t have an update for you other than the carousel organ remains in storage. I will look into what plans, if any, there might be at this time to fix it.

Lost came on at the same time as ESPN? Did they mean Sportscenter? Because ESPN is on 24-7.

Its sad that the Carousel band organ is in storage and that the park hasn`t found the funds to fix it and get it operating again. Especially since they gave the Carousel building a lot of TLC last year with a complete paint job. While its nice that you can now actually hear the music they are playing on the carousel, it doesn`t have the same charm as the music coming from the band organ. That is one thing that I like about Stricker`s Grove`s carousel. It actually has a working band organ and it adds so much to the atmosphere. Its a real shame that Kings Island`s was taken out of commission and placed in storage.