Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I watch ESPN mostly during the weekdays I don't have school (especially summer) because none of my "kids" shows are on. :P

So you mean you watch ESPN when things like Dora are on?

Yes, exactly. But occasionally I watch Dora....you know, just to refresh my Spanish......:P

Hello Sun. Welcome Back. Answers for Saturday's 5@5 mailbag below:

Robby Krotts Is there any chance of getting a new log flume ride like the one where crypt is now,it would be nice to have a non"kiddy" type one again. p.s. would you guys please tell the leaders of these school groups on math and science days to tell the students cuting in line is not allowed,i went yesterday and every ride i rode i would stand in line for 15 min and couple students would just walk right through everyone to closer to front of line cause their "friends" were up there.sorry but it happened all day over and over and was rude and noone said anything to them

First, sorry to hear about your line jumping experience. I absolutely hate hearing this. It certainly seems to happen more on the school days. We do send communication to the school prior to their visit and I will make a note to make this even clearer. Thanks for the feedback. Second, I am very curious to see the new ride at Cedar Point. I think people are really going to like it and I could certainly see a place for a ride like that in this park. I am a log flume fan and agree with you that a “non kiddy” version would be a great addition. Our ride is pretty cool though.

---------------------

Dave Wetterstroem - Would it be possible to add some KI ring tones to the online fun/download page? Diamondbacks Horn or some of the old music like Enchanted Voyages theme song.

I just sent a note to our webmaster asking that your request be worked on this week. We should be able to round this stuff up with a little effort. I’ll stay on them – you stay on me!

---------------------

Luke Sharrock - I am going to the park this friday. Do you think it will be crowded?

Friday should be just fine. Typically not one of the busy days by any stretch. In fact [plug alert] Monday thru Friday of next week should be awesome days to visit. Many people don’t realize we are open for daily operation yet so these days are great.

---------------------

Zach Clapper - How many miles per hour does the splashdown on Diamondback slow down the train?

I’ve been told about 15mph from the time it hits water until the time it reaches the top but I am no expert here so I’ll go with that.

---------------------

Brian Broom - Don't take this the wrong way, I Love Olde Glory. What Feedback have you've heard about the relocating the Flag Poles? I think it takes away from The Fountain, It seems Cluttered, What have you heard? Thank You...

To be honest Brian, I have not heard one negative word. Any chance will get some reaction both ways but this one has been very positive. The more emphasis we’ve placed on our park opening and National Anthem at 10am each morning, it just made sense. I just watched the first Don’t Stop The Music show on Bandstand and the flags blowing in the wind way in the background with the fountains, sun and clouds is arguably one of the best views in this park.

Methinks someone from Cedar Fair saw this thread...

And to combat what people said earlier, They actually Cared. wink.gif

I'm not being sarcastic, here. I really believe the program they use for their passes is really bad, and it has taken Cedar Fair this long to make the fix.

See Power School used by Cincinnati Public Schools... A horrible grading program that continuously gives out problems for students and teachers, and is almost never correct. (4 out of my 6 teachers complain openly, and often about Power School.) Why the State of Ohio did away with Parent Connect in the first place, I shall never know.

Weird, we use Powerschool in Smith-Grenne (Churubusco Elem) and are quite happy with it. As the school counselor I use most of it's functions and have found it to be user friendly enough. Maybe it the support end that's causing troubles Cincy

SonofBeast, the park closed because rides like Diamondback, Beast, Vortex, Racer, Delirum, Drop Tower, Invertigo, etc etc would not be able to reopen with the storms that were hitting us. Plus thrown in the facts that, the park was flooding in areas, even today as we closed I saw areas with some water in them

So the park closed because the rides could not operate? Why were not all of the guests directed to and put in shelters during the tornado warning? Why was there no PA announcement to take cover? Surely there was enough room for all of them....surely...

Speaking of which, when the park DID close, the PA announcement was very garbled and sounded like this:

Due to inclem....Kings....now...drive safely.

It played off and on, and sounded a bit differently each time, as it cut out in different places. It was obviously a recording, and needs fixing before it plays again.

Having been in the park during the Sept 2008 windstorm when it closed early - as I recall, the announcement was only really able to be fully heard/understood in select locations and on IS. However, the park staff did a great job of moving people to the exits quickly. Although that was a private event day so it was fairly uncrowded. Unfortunately KI is not the easiest place to have an evacuation/tornado drill.

The day may come when it is not a drill....had that day been Friday, the results would have been disastrous. Especially with all those schools and school kids there. I would think a complete "after action report" with "lessons learned" is in order here. Were I the principal of one of the schools involved, I would be very, very unimpressed with what I saw Friday. To put it mildly.

Were I a parent of one of the ride ops or other employees, or were I one of the employees, I also would not be pleased.

Yes, this brings up some interesting points.

I think that the park has tornado shelters/places of refuge for at least some employees in the park. I do not know if they have shelter places for park guests, especially if it is a busy day. One would think though, that with severe weather moving into the area and lots of open space in the park that they would have a plan in place to move people to the safest place possible.

Come to think of it, I`m not even sure if Coney has a severe storm shelter plan and if they do, I`m not certain what it is. I know if the storms get bad enough, they`ll call us back into the rides office, but that isn`t big enough to hold everyone in the rides department. About ten people can fit in it, and the rest of the people are in the hallway. I`ve weathered some strong storms over the years at Coney. Including one that knocked some trees over, and one that knocked the cover partially off the Flying Bobs.

Terpy this is one time I have to disagree.

People pay money to ride rides, so why be open if your money maker is not going to operate. I was in the back of Planet Snoopy and heard and understood clearly what the PA announcement was saying. How or why do you say that the park did not evacuate the park quick enough? Cedar Fair prides it self on safety and I feel they did a great job Friday of keeping everyone safe.

As for the Tornado warning, I have a hard time believing that there was a true threat of a tornado. Kings Island did not have the wind of a tornado, nor did I see any funnel clouds. Yes the sirens went off, but that does not always mean a true threat. They can be for precautionary reasons.

^that would be a terrible idea, if you had a problem, you shouldn't post it publicly on facebook, you should directly contact the park, by either email or phone, if you were to do that publicly, other people would start chiming in on your complaint and many of them could have very well not even been at the park that day, or even known about it, causing the event to escalate into something that could end up not even being remotely true.

i just think it would be best for you to "talk" to a park person "one-on-one," rather than you call them out in the middle of a huge social networking site.

Just an FYI. Here are all the severe storm shelters I can remember from working there: under Invertigo, under the stage in Kings Island Theatre, in those pod looking things at BLST, under FOF station, inside the Crypt(not exactly sure where inside), under the Timberwolf stage, and in action theatre. These are the only ones I can remember, and they may have added some since 2007.

^that would be a terrible idea, if you had a problem, you shouldn't post it publicly on facebook, you should directly contact the park, by either email or phone, if you were to do that publicly, other people would start chiming in on your complaint and many of them could have very well not even been at the park that day, or even known about it, causing the event to escalate into something that could end up not even being remotely true.

i just think it would be best for you to "talk" to a park person "one-on-one," rather than you call them out in the middle of a huge social networking site.

Yeah, that is true. But I feel like If you call them, you will get the generic "We appreciate your concern and we will pass this on to our supervisor" response. Rather at the 5@5 I feel like he will give you a legit straight up answer.

Yes, the 5@5 is not a medium for complaint. However, I see your frustration: If you email or call the park, you'll get a generic answer. By even asking on the 5@5, you at least know it will be read by someone of high standings in the park as they read through the questions. Still, don't do it.

Back in 1998 we had a close call one night after close. It came over the radio that we were under a level 3 warning (highest level). We grabbed the money and headed for the walk-in coolers at Tuckers (A.K.A. Jukebox Diner). That was the typical routine for Food Service then, but obviously there isn't enough cooler space for 10k-30k people.